Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Again this is a total side issue to the thread title that is Gerry Thornley;

There was a thread on boards a while ago titled " Is the Media Too Soft on Declan Kidney and the Irish Management"

That got closed because it got side tracked onto the never ending topic that is ROG; please can we keep this one on topic;

Analysing todays times articles, there is absolutely no mention of touhy starting ahead of DOC in anyway or that this change would hold any merit; its amazing really.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Having done some media interviews as a musician, it really can just be a case of everything being arranged as Justin says, it's really just putting people together to talk a lot of the time. You just turn up and answer/ask the questions, depending on what side of it you're on.

Thornley's lack of criticism has nothing to do with the accreditation he gets or the IRFU.
    I think everyone needs to move off the whole IRFU point and the access. Assume access is provided, and there's no difference in the level of access that all accredited journos get, cause there probably isn't. Forget about all that, it's not relevant to Gerry's big Kidney-shaped blind spot.

He's clearly getting a better feed of information from the access he gets along with everyone else, and it's only natural that people will be more open with someone they feel is "on their side" so to speak. That people will be willing to reveal more to him when they do speak is nothing to do with the IRFU, and more to do with a personal relationship where the guy who isn't getting the digs in gets on better with the people with the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

fitz wrote: »
    Thornley's lack of criticism has nothing to do with the accreditation he gets or the IRFU.
    I think everyone needs to move off the whole IRFU point and the access. Assume access is provided, and there's no difference in the level of access that all accredited journos get, cause there probably isn't. Forget about all that, it's not relevant to Gerry's big Kidney-shaped blind spot

It doesn't matter WHAT he writes. He isn't keeling to the heel at all as some might have you believe. He doesn't have to.
    That's my point and why access, accreditation, criticism of the union etc was brought up in the first feckin place.

As with all, he'll write what he wants because you will read it. Not because someone in the IRFU likes it. The people with the info are the IRFU. It is the IRFU who releases a team, information on the squad or of a point of view.
    If he p*sses the IRFU off with criticism, like other journalists, he still gets access. Personal relationships don't come into it. A Brian O'Driscoll interview or a Les Kiss isn't given because either of them say so, it is because it was requested and granted by the relevant person within the organisation.
    Thats how it works, like every other media-subject relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I just don't believe the IRFU would ever refuse access to an NUJ member or pro journo. It's not going to happen.

*sigh* . . . I give up . . . lol

• Advertisement

JustinDee wrote: »
    *sigh* . . . I give up . . . lol

Thank you

It doesn't matter WHAT he writes. He isn't keeling to the heel at all as some might have you believe. He doesn't have to.
    That's my point and why access, accreditation, criticism of the union etc was brought up in the first feckin place.

As with all, he'll write what he wants because you will read it. Not because someone in the IRFU likes it. The people with the info are the IRFU. It is the IRFU who releases a team, information on the squad or of a point of view.
    If he p*sses the IRFU off with criticism, like other journalists, he still gets access. Personal relationships don't come into it. A Brian O'Driscoll interview or a Les Kiss isn't given because either of them say so, it is because it was requested and granted.
    Thats how it works, like every other media-subject relationship.

I know that Justin, I'm agreeing with you on this!
    I accept whatever you say on the process involved in the media relations side of things. In my previous post I was trying to move the conversation off the process side of things, because I think people need to accept that it doesn't have a bearing on Thornley's output.

But my point is...when the interview happens, someone who hasn't been criticising the person he's talking to will probably get a better reception from the interviewee than the fella who's been ripping into them. At a personal level, that's just going to happen...

I just reckon that Thornley is happy with the reception he's getting in his conversations with the Irish team setup, so he's not criticising for fear of compromising that rapport he's built up on a personal level. It's not some great conspiracy about getting his pass pulled by the IRFU, I think he's just worried about putting people's noses out of joint and not getting the same quality of chat out of them. Genuinely believe it's that simple.

fitz wrote: »
    I just reckon that Thornley is happy with the reception he's getting in his conversations with the Irish team setup, so he's not criticising for fear of compromising that rapport he's built up on a personal level.

I watch him interviewing players after games. He's definitely not dancing to anyone's tune but his own. Like most of the journalists, he's actually fine. Don't agree with everything he writes or says on the radio but hey, thats me. If I don't agree with a blurb or a spot on radio, I just read on or stop listening, provided of course it isn't libelous or slander, in which case I'll be straight on phone.

There are one or two who post in these forums who know what its like in the media centre on match day, for example. They'll tell you the same about the folk who use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I flipping well am not trying to muddy anything, "totallegend".
    Player/coach access is the same as anything else.
    I've explained the difference between a guy getting a press pass and a guy getting decent content for interviews. I can go over it again if it went over your head?
    Rubbish. Each accreditation is applied for match-to-match for each and every journalist, regardless of outlet. Everyone has "decent access", as I have already described.
    Not everyone does interviews or even wants to do interviews.
    I didn't say anything about the application process, I said the IRFU would never refuse accreditation to a journalist from an established paper. That is not rubbish, it's fact. If you can refute that, by all means do, I'd be fascinated to hear it.
    You've experience or some insight into this area, have you?

No, I don't. On the other hand, I can comment on this with complete impartiality. Can you say the same?

No, I don't. On the other hand, I can comment on this with complete impartiality. Can you say the same?
    I'm not biased on the matter. I'm telling you exactly how it is. There isn't actually anything to it. Don't believe me? I'll live. Meanwhile, the relationship between media and union, management, player continues exactly as I've described it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Justin, the issue on this thread seems that you are focused on the quantity of access provided while I haven’t seen you once address the quality point that is continually being raised by others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Totallegend, leftleg: Enough. Please return to the topic of the debate.

Justin has expressed pretty clearly that all journos get the same access. In my view, it is up to each of them how well they use this access. If Thornley gets better quality output from his time with players/staff, that is down to individuals and not the IRFU.

Justin has expressed pretty clearly that all journos get the same access. In my view, it is up to each of them how well they use this access. If Thornley gets better quality output from his time with players/staff, that is down to individuals and not the IRFU.

Mike please refer to post #122; i have attempted to get away from all this hence thanking JD for stopping;

This is exactly the point.

Justin, my point isn't how he acts when interviewing, it's more about the (perhaps subconscious) level of relative comfort the interviewee will have speaking to someone who hasn't been criticising them in the media. Imo, I think Thornley's keeps his output tame in terms of criticism of his highest profile interviewees when it comes to Irish rugby so that he doesn't risk having them get a bit more guarded when talking to him. Which is fair enough, but it does nothing for the quality of his punditry on the Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

With respect Mike, I have been agreeing with this all along, please see posts 107, 118 and 130; I have been saying consistently that journos will always get IRFU accreditation for all events.

I think this thread has been brought down a bad path and at the risk of an infraction for back-seat modding, perhaps the best thing to do is close it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

With respect Mike, I have been agreeing with this all along, please see posts 107, 118 and 130; I have been saying consistently that journos will always get IRFU accreditation for all events.

I think this thread has been brought down a bad path and at the risk of an infraction for back-seat modding, perhaps the best thing to do is close it down.
    Thread is staying open.

Any further conversation on the moderation can take place over PM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would it be fair to say all journos get the same official access?

I'm thinking back now to when Gary Ella was in charge of Leinster and there were some articles highlighting player unhappiness with him. Nothing official or on the record though.

"There has been some disgruntlement among the international contingent over the direction of the team, especially over the lack of time devoted to defence work in training."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/anderson-saga-suggests-leinster-clearout-is-imminent-480022.html

No name is mentioned for the quote above but someone had words with Fanning off the record. So I feel that the accreditation argument is going no where. It's what happens off the record is what is important and is Thornley cultivating this at the expense of his neutrality? I'm just some guy on an internet forum so have none of the facts so it's not for me to say :pac:

On a different note check out the below article from the Munster website regarding Leinster and their coaches :eek:
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/3523.php

CatFromHue wrote: »
    On a different note check out the below article from the Munster website regarding Leinster and their coaches :eek:
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/3523.php

Wow. Saucer of milk please! lol
    Funny read that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow. Saucer of milk please! lol
    Funny read that.

Ha I know I actually made the smiley eek face myself when I read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Good God. Pure professionalism from the great man. Little bit lost for words, reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The time of the post is 11:56pm. I wonder was he hammered?

Otacon wrote: »
    The time of the post is 11:56pm. I wonder was he hammered?
    Do you know who wrote that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Do you know who wrote that?

No idea. Not even sure of the gender of the writer. It was just the first thing I noticed was the time and felt it odd the someone posted an article four minutes before midnight.

Also, my post was tongue-in-cheek TBH.

GerM wrote: »
    Good God. Pure professionalism from the great man. Little bit lost for words, reading that.

Whose the great man??

Otacon wrote: »
    No idea. Not even sure of the gender of the writer. It was just the first thing I noticed was the time and felt it odd the someone posted an article four minutes before midnight.

Also, my post was tongue-in-cheek TBH.

I was actually asking a genuine question, as I was still abroad that year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

leftleg wrote: »
    Whose the great man??

I would assume it's Pat Geraghty, the Munster media type chap. Not sure what his exact title is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

leftleg wrote: »
    Whose the great man??

I assume it's the current media manager who does most articles and has been part of the organisation for a decade. He has published a number of partisan articles which have been extremely one eyed.

EDIT: What Dan said. He's the former Leinster media manager, jumped ship about a decade ago.

GerM wrote: »
    I assume it's the current media manager who does most articles and has been part of the organisation for a decade. He has published a number of partisan articles which have been extremely one eyed.

You mean Pat Geraghty?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lol @ all the wannabe journalists on this thread. Mr Thornley is Ireland's foremost rugby journalist and has achieved that status on the back of excellent writing on the subject, not through writing pleasing pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Aidric wrote: »
    Lol @ all the wannabe journalists on this thread. Mr Thornley is Ireland's foremost rugby journalist and has achieved that status on the back of excellent writing on the subject, not through writing pleasing pieces.

I like Thornley. He's a really good reporter and a brilliant writer. I always take his opinion heavy stuff with a pinch of salt anyway but his blooper this week in regard to Murray starting at Eden Park was very very lazy stuff

Advertisement