Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

Obviously its an unintentional mistake but thats not the point.

The point is that Thornley was writting with an agenda. Why would you wax such lyricals if you can't even remember whether he started or not? He clearly doesn't even remember the game and was simply defending Kidney's future decision to start Murray ahead of Reddan this weekend because he knows deep down its the wrong choice. Murray was diabolical when he did eventually come on against Australia (I believed he kicked twice on the full and knocked on) but don't let that get in the way of your lies Thornley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

DeDoc wrote: »
    I don't have any problem with someone doing both to be honest, and don't see any reason why it isn't possible

I also think it is quite possible to be critical in a professional and measured way and still retain enough professional respect to get quotes, interviews etc from the team and management

But that's the whole thrust of the thread, that this particular journalist (GT) has been unable to do just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

danthefan wrote: »
    He's absolutely awful these days, provides no insight or constructive criticism at all.

Who is better in the Irish written media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Lost my confidence in Thornley when he sabotaged the career of Ross O'Carroll Kelly. Legenary player in school and underage but Gerry took a dislike to Kicker and swayed opinion away from the outhalf that should have spent 10 years in the green jersey. As the second best Irish outhalf of his generation, O'Gara, owes Thornley a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

TomLamp wrote: »

The point is that Thornley was writting with an agenda. Why would you wax such lyricals if you can't even remember whether he started or not? He clearly doesn't even remember the game and was simply defending Kidney's future decision to start Murray ahead of Reddan this weekend because he knows deep down its the wrong choice. Murray was diabolical when he did eventually come on against Australia (I believed he kicked twice on the full and knocked on) but don't let that get in the way of your lies Thornley!

ffs come off it. Murray was unlucky not to get a try

Describing his cameo as "diabolical" is nearly as ridiculous as saying he started the game

The point is that Thornley was writting with an agenda.

That contradicts itself by the way

No such thing as an unintentional mistake with agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    That contradicts itself by the way

No such thing as an unintentional mistake with agenda

He clearly means the mistake was unintentional, but the piece is clearly written with an agenda. The way he has written about something that never happened has shown his hand here.

He clearly means the mistake was unintentional, but the piece is clearly written with an agenda. The way he has written about something that never happened has shown his hand here.

I think people are reading too much into it

Thornley probably knows it's likely Murray will start, he set about wrongly trying to justify it and made a big boo boo in the process

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

5 Pages and we haven't dropped in some French idioms? Quel dommage.

Also, @NePasThornley.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

I think people are reading too much into it

Thornley probably knows it's likely Murray will start, he set about wrongly trying to justify it and made a big boo boo in the process

That's the agenda people are referring to.

I'm with totallegend on this one.
    It's not about journo's being refused access to players, but it's just human nature...who are the players/management going to be more open with, the guy who writes about what's happening without criticism, or the lad who picked apart why they lost the last game, and what's wrong with how the team are playing?

Thornley is a reporter, not a pundit.
    He reports happenings, and his opinion as a pundit is now next to useless as he has sacrificed his ability to be objective and to give a critical opinion for being someone the Irish management are happy to talk to.
    The problem is that most of the old media rugby writers are following the same template, and they don't want to seem to risk getting black-balled for being critical.

ffs come off it. Murray was unlucky not to get a try

Describing his cameo as "diabolical" is nearly as ridiculous as saying he started the game

Why dont you re-read the match thread? He made a litany of mistakes when he came on and was nearly responsible for an Aussie try in the corner after a missed tackle.

Why dont you re-read the match thread? He made a litany of mistakes when he came on and was nearly responsible for an Aussie try in the corner after a missed tackle.

He had one hairy moment at the back of the scrum. Other than that he did nothing wrong. Calling his cameo "diabolic" is the same exaggeration you seem to be using anytime you mention a Munster player on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Calling his cameo "diabolic" is the same exaggeration you seem to be using anytime you mention a Munster player on this forum

Come on now, this is about Thornley not Munster/Leinster;

leftleg wrote: »
    Come on now, this is about Thornley not Munster/Leinster;

Exactly, but TomLamp used it as another chance to get a dig in at Munster

Anyway I'm done, back on track

I thought he had a good game against Oz;

leftleg wrote: »
    I thought he had a good game against Oz;

He was alright, mixed the good (that) with the bad (the scrum moment)

Classic Murray performance really. In no way was he diabolical though

Exactly, but TomLamp used it as another chance to get a dig in at Munster

I think hes having a go at Murray not Munster; This really is a non issue, when on his game Murray is very good, yes he makes mistakes but he is a class scrum half when on his games and making all the right choices which is easier said then done; just ask Eoin Reddan re choice making;

Dexys Midnight Runners is a bit of a joke of a journalist at the moment. Ill never forget Emmet Byrne nearly making him cry on Newstalk and Gerrys mantra at the end of that piece - "I still think Declan Kidney is a great coach" over and over and over - Fail

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The contrast between Thornley's treatment of Kidney and EOS could hardly be more stark.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The contrast between Thornley's treatment of Kidney and EOS could hardly be more stark.

He obviously has a big soft spot for the guy

Might be simply down to the fact that Kidney actually seems like a really nice bloke (not that it should stop Thorns being critical)

• Advertisement

Jesus talk about having a hissy fit. Murray was poor when he came on, diabolical was probably an over exaggeration. If you would take the time to read the match thread you would see that many thought he nearly lost us the game. He kicked out on the full twice, he knocked on and he missed a tackle leading to Australia going from their own 22 into our one.

It wasn't an attack on Munster or a Munster player it was an attack on Thornley stating that Murray was magnificent in a game in which he was poor and didnt even start.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Yep i posted on a previous thread with pasted Thornley articles on both Kidney and EOS and the difference was astonishing; ill go through my posts and re-paste them for your viewing; It shows what he was and should be and shows how badly his impartiality is now.

On EOS in RWC 2007

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2007/0918/1190060014681.html

*mod edit. posting full articles is no longer permissible

To this after RWC 2011 in which Ireland faired alot better but still ended just as disappointingly.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0522/1224316501983.html

ON RUGBY: All credit to the IRFU, the Irish players are still in fine fettle after such a long season, writes GERRY THORNLEY

*mod edit. posting full articles is no longer permissible

And finally were not the only ones that have noticed Gerrys "new direction" over the last few years

http://www.balls.ie/2012/05/23/ireland-rugby-fans-lay-into-gerry-thornley-for-his-steadfast-support-of-declan-kidney/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

And then lambasts the IRFU on another issue (player succession policy)later on.
    Thats journalism for you. As long as you keep reading it, they'll keep writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

JustinDee wrote: »
    Thats journalism for you. As long as you keep reading it, they'll keep writing it.

Yeah Justin, podcasts are the way to go.

*shameless plug*

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Dexy doesn't seem to have a problem having a go at the IRFU blazzers alright, it's his blinkered manlove for Kidney that people have a problem with.

1. The IRFU "Player Succession" policy from 2013 onwards.

2. Declan Kidney's selection and tactical policies 2009 - present.

The two are not linked. Thornley lambasting the IRFU on their foreigners policy does not mean that he is not too close to Kidney, nor should his opinions on Kidney impact on his analysis of the IRFU policy.

• Advertisement

I really couldn't care less what he writes about the IRFU; Its the rubbish he spouts about Kidney that makes everyone's blood boil.

Hes paid to write unbiased fact and all he seems to be able to expel lately is crooked Kidney love-in rubbish.

Advertisement