Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Bakery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

dfbemt wrote: »
    love the Pretzels...
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Twice in the last two weeks my local Lidl have had no Pretzels :mad:
    cargo wrote: »
    Local Lidl hasnt had pretzels for a few weeks now and the price sign is gone from the display area also. Does anyone know if they've stopped selling them all over or just my local?

They did seem to be selling well so dont know why they're gone

Has anybody had any confirmation that the Pretzels are gone?

Them and the pumpkin seed loaf / rolls were our favourite.

Going in just for Pretzels always lead us to buy other items. One less reason for us to go elsewhere.

C'mon Lidl, reverse your decision and bring back the Pretzels
    Pretzels are back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saw the pretzels in deansgrange yesterday, on offer, 49c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Got one yesterday, fantastisch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

just after finishing a pretzel delish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

In fairness, I had emailed Lidl and they replied back saying they passed on my comments.

I am not for one minute saying that my email got them back. I am making the point that at least they replied which is good customer service.

Pretzels last Wednesday, Friday and today. Delicious and great price.

Thanks Lidl. +1 customer back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rainbows7

How many calories in an apple turnover baked in lidl?

Or are they deep fried??

Thanks for any comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

maryjoe wrote: »

Or are they deep fried??

Thanks for any comments

That sort of question is better suited to the Nutrition & Diet forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Got some Bavarian rolls there before Christmas they are delish with real butter, ham and cheese...... DROOLING!! Crossiants, pain au choc, cheese twists, cheese roll, country loaf and powdered sugar doughnuts are all good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

are they still doing the pretzels. I have not seen them in the athlone in awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

I can't get enough of their donuts... *Homer Simpson drool*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mmmm donuts..... Lidl Donuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Yes folks, the pretzel is back.

Bought 2 on the way home. Had one in the car. Was keeping the 2nd one to have tonight but I ate that in the car also :eek:

Will go back for more tomorrow.

Current price is 49c for that lovely dough topped with a little rock salt. MMmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think the Lidl bakery is the best of a poor bunch.
    The Tuscany and pumpkin seed rolls are ok, the standard white roll is ok most days, some days its quite good. I thought they bake it straight from the manual and any idiot can do it? How come some days they are nice some days they are not?
    The rye bread is quite good but they only ever have it for a couple of weeks in my local Lidl, then its gone for months.
    If there is one thing I really miss from back home its good quality bread and the variety. White batch and crumbly soda just doesn't do it for me.

On a wider scale its our own fault really. The supermarkets killed all the local bakers but we allowed them to. We trade convenience for quality all the time. There'll soon be no fish mongers left. Butchers might last a little longer.

rainbows7 wrote: »

Or are they deep fried??[\B]

Thanks for any comments

Quite a few I dare say.
    But deep fried they are not. Are any bakery products deep fried? I didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Boskowski wrote: »
    Quite a few I dare say.
    But deep fried they are not. Are any bakery products deep fried? I didn't think so.

Doughnuts ??

vicwatson wrote: »
    Doughnuts ??

No

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How do they make their doughnuts then?
    Deep frying is the usual way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The question about whether the apple turnover in Lidl being deep fried is a valid one, since a lot of people love the McDonalds one. The subject of fried dough products started me thinking, and it seems most countries have their own versions - either fried or deep fried http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fried_dough_foods

I haven't tried all of Lidl's baked goods but I love their low GI bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭lau1247

I love the maple pecan, yummy!!

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

How do they make their doughnuts then?
    Deep frying is the usual way.

I think some places deep fry them (a little) and send them out, and then the bakery can bake them to finish them off and freshen them up, like par cooked bageuttes. Si people might have seen them coming out on trays from an overn.

Lidl donuts are similar in style to dunkin dounts ones, they are more "bready" looking so some people think they are only baked.

The tell tale sign of deep frying is the split line, where the donut has floated in oil and been turned over and there is a line which is whiter than the rest as it was not fully in the oil.
    all these have it
    donuts.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

drool.gif
    rubadub wrote: »
    I think some places deep fry them (a little) and send them out, and then the bakery can bake them to finish them off and freshen them up, like par cooked bageuttes. Si people might have seen them coming out on trays from an overn.

Lidl donuts are similar in style to dunkin dounts ones, they are more "bready" looking so some people think they are only baked.

The tell tale sign of deep frying is the split line, where the donut has floated in oil and been turned over and there is a line which is whiter than the rest as it was not fully in the oil.
    all these have it
    donuts.jpg

What nicol said. Just never saw a deep fat fryer in lidl.
    But to tell you the truth I didn't actually think that's how they were made. :o
    Deep fried. That's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dfbemt wrote: »
    Yes folks, the pretzel is back.

Bought 2 on the way home. Had one in the car. Was keeping the 2nd one to have tonight but I ate that in the car also :eek:

Will go back for more tomorrow.

Current price is 49c for that lovely dough topped with a little rock salt. MMmmmmmmmmm
    are they as useless as they were before they pulled them the last time?

I think the problem is that they are par cooked rather than being cooked from raw/ frozen as they just dont have that crazy crispy outside and really soft inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No

Yes;)
    What nicol said. Just never saw a deep fat fryer in lidl.

There is no deep fat fryers in lidl. They arrive into store pre cooked in box trays for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Lidl do a great bavarian pretzel. They don't always have them but I check every time!

Edit: Just spotted Post #73 :)

Most find them delicious! so are you never going to eat donuts anymore?

You are not alone with this aversion though, I think people associate them only with meat or chippers and picture stuff cooked in fishy oil.

Fritters are a popular dessert in Asian restaurants, deep fried pineapple rings in light batter with ice cream, lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

have tried a number of bread products from Lidl/Aldi and they are mostly unedible.

got a cob the other day and it was truly disgusting, mass produced frozen dough that smelt weird if it was toasted. The baguettes are probably worse than cuisine de france, so therefore inedible. Rolls ok, but barely.

I live in D3 and am surrounded by places selling very high quality bread, so maybe its just me.

If you go to ANY bakery or even small corner shop that gets daily deliveries, the bread will infinitely better. Supervalues with bakeries make utterly delicious proper bread every day and its not expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

I adore lidl bakery a new one opened up not long ago in cork city centre best thing that ever came there. When i do shopping i find hard not to get one their cookies for only 39cent nice big size and so tasty. They have sticky toffee flavour and double chocolate chip amazing is word :) Best place for prices to and their cheese and onion roll amazing to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Their berry scones are amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

cosmic wrote: »
    Lidl do a great bavarian pretzel. They don't always have them but I check every time!

Edit: Just spotted Post #73 :)

Just had my first Bavarian pretzel........nom nom nom. Delicious.

Never saw or knew anything about them until I read about them here.

Raging I didn't get two :):)

Oh well there is always tomorrow.

Advertisement