Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Allowing the new Moderat album to wash over me at the moment. 'Finder' is the best song I've heard this year so far (along with 'Ether' by Mogwai).

donfers wrote: »
    No, I don't like indie folk, that's all. I'm sure the world of indie folk will not be unduly concerned by my prejudices.

You may well think that but there's nowt as queer as folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Basq wrote: »
    New Frightened Rabbit!!

Listening to it right now.

EDIT: Wow... I really like this one. Certainly worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Sorry for dragging the thread off topic again just have to say the otherkin gig last night was truly awesome.

https://twitter.com/otherkinok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Took a few listens to really get into it but loving the new Frabbit album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Took a few listens to really get into it but loving the new Frabbit album!
    Yep, they're supporting Foals in Belfast for Belsonic at end of June. Think that's a definite gig this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, they're supporting Foals in Belfast for Belsonic at end of June. Think that's a definite gig this Summer.

That sounds like a great gig tbh. Saw Foals earlier this year in the Point and they were class.

I'm hoping for Frightened rabbit at Glastonbury, although they're at a festival in Belgium the same weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I was listening to Junk yesterday. I really like it, but it's nothing like their old stuff.

I'm a big M83 fan. Think it's pretty uneven. 2nd half is pretty forgettable but I need to give it a few more spins

Shane St. wrote: »
    I'm a big M83 fan. Think it's pretty uneven. 2nd half is pretty forgettable but I need to give it a few more spins

Didnt like it much.

Plus my vote for Most Horrible Sound I've heard all year goes to "Moon Crystal".

Good God...it sounds like a bad american 1970's documentary soundtrack:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

The Transpersonals - Schizodelia. Out about 6 weeks.
    Bit of a mish-mash of stuff that's been knocking around for some time but it all hangs together well. A trippier affair than their first effort (and better in my view). Definitely worth a listen

Album link
    http://www.thetranspersonals.com/#!music/zvn1r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Good week with new releases from Cate le Bon, Teleman and Parquet Courts, all of whose last albums I loved.

cranks wrote: »
    The Transpersonals - Schizodelia. Out about 6 weeks.
    Bit of a mish-mash of stuff that's been knocking around for some time but it all hangs together well. A trippier affair than their first effort (and better in my view). Definitely worth a listen

Album link
    http://www.thetranspersonals.com/#!music/zvn1r

I just don't get how that first album wasn't massive,some insanely great songs.I'll give the second album a shot!

Some really excellent songs on this recently released album by Irish band Easy tide.

Some really excellent songs on this recently released album by Irish band Easy tide.

Yes, certainly well worth a listen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sam Beam & Jessica Hoop - 'Love Letter for Fire'

love-letter-for-fire-iron-wine-sam-beam-album.png?w=806&h=802

Haven't been overly impressed with the last couple of Iron Wine releases, and I think this suits his voice far better, it's much more stripped back than the all out jazz that I&W has been sliding towards.

In a way this reminds me a bit of 'Raising Sand' by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus, an album I really enjoyed.

Beams and Hoops voices fit together perfectly. I have just given it the one listen this morning, but I think it'll have staying power.

Deakin - 'Sleep Cycle'

homepage_large.0d44e20c.jpg

New album from part time Animal Collective member Deakin. I have to admit this really wasn't on my radar at all. I have enjoyed past releases from Avey Tare and Panda Bear, so this came as a nice surprise.

I wish AC would head in this direction a bit more, it has a definitive AC sound but has a much clearer focus than probably the last 2 AC albums, particularly the latest.

I'm actually impressed by the vocals on this given that it's not his prime function in the band. The album itself is quite restrained which lets the tracks grow.

Definitely worth a listen for fans of any of the above.

'Good House' is a lovely track, give it a listen to see if this is your type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I loved PJs last 2 records, I'm still not quite sure about the new one though it is growing on me.

I think her matter of fact reportage-style lyrics are a mixed bag - sometimes they really hit home, other times it feels like she's just reading newspaper articles over the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

Seen these boys live a few times, very good sound for a 3 piece!! Nice rocking songs too.

• Advertisement

There's a new Boxer Rebellion album out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

InTheTrees wrote: »
    There's a new Boxer Rebellion album out.

Now there's a blast from the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Surprised, no one mentioned The Joy Formidable - Hitch yet.

Its a lot more mellow than the last two but worth a listen.

Really like them though, The Big Roar is one of the best records of this decade. Would love to see them back in Ireland

New James Blake album out tonight/tomorrow morning.

Broncho's 2014 Just hip enough ..was one of my favorite albums of that year.
    This new track sounds like they aren't doing a rerun of their last album .
    June and a favourable tour announcement that includes Ireland I await.

http://www.avclub.com/article/broncho-throws-out-rule-book-its-new-track-senora--235249

"U" by Tourist is a good listen. Album flows well throughout, run will be played alot over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Xiu_Xiu_twin_peaks_album_review_under_the_radar.jpg

Xiu Xiu - Plays the Music of Twin Peaks
    Covers of music from the Twin Peaks soundtrack done with an experimental rock twist. One of the most intriguing concept albums of the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

New James Blake album out tonight/tomorrow morning.

Very satisfying listen. Not the sweeping departure that some critics are claiming, but a fuller sound than Overgrown.

Xiu_Xiu_twin_peaks_album_review_under_the_radar.jpg

Xiu Xiu - Plays the Music of Twin Peaks
    Covers of music from the Twin Peaks soundtrack done with an experimental rock twist. One of the most intriguing concept albums of the last few years.

Thats actually pretty cool,very unexpected as twin peaks theme music is classic,julie crusie amazing singer but they have created a masterpiece here I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't find that Xiu Xiu album anywhere?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Can't find that Xiu Xiu album anywhere?

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/product/plays_the_music_of_twin_-1

Can listen to the tracks below.

• Advertisement

Masterpiece might be over stating it slightly.Some of the tracks are excellent some maybe a bit challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

LUH (Lost under Heaven) have released their debut album 'Spiritual Songs for Lovers to Sing'. It's the new band from former WU LYF front man Ellery Roberts.

I'm not very good at describing music but I think it's deadly. :pac:

Guardian Review here - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/05/luh-spiritual-songs-for-lovers-to-sing-review-passion-project-from-ex-wu-lyf-member

Overhead, The Albatross - Learning to Growl

Album is now on Spotify also.

Picked up tickets for Cyprus Avenue gig also.

I've given it a couple of listens today, stunning record. Really looking forward to the gig.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    LUH (Lost under Heaven) have released their debut album 'Spiritual Songs for Lovers to Sing'. It's the new band from former WU LYF front man Ellery Roberts.

I'm not very good at describing music but I think it's deadly. :pac:

Guardian Review here - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/05/luh-spiritual-songs-for-lovers-to-sing-review-passion-project-from-ex-wu-lyf-member

Deadly works u might want to update your list of adjectives though,massive,supermassive(black holes) and epic are terms to be become familiar with..avoid masterpiece as you might live to regreat that one ..apply sparingly.A link to song would work far better than a guardian review,maybe that just me ..I click on anything that's posted ..I dont read review all that much unless its to reinforce my own particular biases!
    I do remember wu lyf had a couple of good tunes ..what the deal with odd band name?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

'teens of denial' by car seat headrest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Overhead, The Albatross - Learning to Growl

Album is now on Spotify also.

That's a solid listen, cheers.

'Wild Pendulum' by Trashcan Sinatras. Only realised today that this has been out a couple of weeks. Really lovely.

Enjoying the new Pantha Du Prince release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

mosstin wrote:
    'Wild Pendulum' by Trashcan Sinatras. Only realised today that this has been out a couple of weeks. Really lovely.

Really enjoying this. Blast from the past, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

^ me too. Have always enjoyed their stuff. Although been off my radar for a while and never realized they had anything new out. Never saw them live. Off now to see if they have a date here.. good find.

Boston emo band the hoteliers new album Goodness is available to stream.

https://thehotelier.bandcamp.com/album/goodness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

New Gold Panda album is lovely :)

They still have it..the magic tunes that is.

Max Jury debut album is excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Boston emo band the hoteliers new album Goodness is available to stream.

https://thehotelier.bandcamp.com/album/goodness
    I'm enjoying this album just as much as their last one. Not sure about that album cover though.

I'm enjoying this album just as much as their last one. Not sure about that album cover though.

Some great tracks on the last album,life in drag was a manic tune.
    Haven't really delved into this album much yet but I will.

New Daughter record is superb - a bit more bite than the last album, but the lyrics are just as beautiful. Released yesterday.

One of the best albums this year IMO. I'm hooked to it.

Up and coming artist Paul Simon has a new album out, very groovy

• Advertisement

CS3121262-02A-BIG-400x400.jpg

Wye Oak released a new EP today. Shriek was a lovely listen, hoping Tween will be as good.
    It's already on Spotify so I'll be giving it a listen tonight.

Advertisement