Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

New Local Natives album "Sunlit Youth" is out today. (it's actually on Spotify already)

I've given it a couple of listens so far, and it's brilliant. Definitely not as dark as "Hummingbird", perhaps not as upbeat as as "Gorilla Manor", but certainly a great listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not for everyone, but new Bastille album out today... getting solid enough reviews.

Track #2, The Currents, is a cracking little song IMO.

Have removed cuz THE MAN says so! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Basq wrote: »
    Not for everyone, but new Bastille album out today... getting solid enough reviews.

It's reeeeeeallly not Alt/Indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

New Local Natives album "Sunlit Youth" is out today. (it's actually on Spotify already)

I've given it a couple of listens so far, and it's brilliant. Definitely not as dark as "Hummingbird", perhaps not as upbeat as as "Gorilla Manor", but certainly a great listen.

Big Local Natives fan, definitely not as dark as Hummingbird, will require a few more listens before I'm sold but so far I'm liking what I hear! Just bought tickets to see them abroad, it's a pity they aren't back in Ireland for the European tour in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

sweetie wrote: »
    Wilco and Nick Cave new albums out tomorrow too!

Jesus wept, the Nick Cave album is outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

jack white acoustic recordings also out today (on spotify), pretty good...

busy day trying to fit them all in!

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    jack white acoustic recordings also out today (on spotify), pretty good...

busy day trying to fit them all in!

Remarkably fertile period for albums at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have removed cuz THE MAN says so! :rolleyes:

If by, THE MAN, you mean me, Well, what's the point of the delineation of fora if anyone can throw any old album in?

Birneybau wrote: »
    If by, THE MAN, you mean me, Well, what's the point of the delineation of fora if anyone can throw any old album in?
    Came across as a bit snobby to be honest.. it's not like I'm throwing in the latest Nathan Carter release.

How would you categorise their music? From a quick Google, seeing everything from Indie to Alt-Indie to Indie-Pop..

.. regardless, Indie seems to be the common thread there.

IMO, they're radio-friendly indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Came across as a bit snobby to be honest.. it's not like I'm throwing in the latest Nathan Carter release.

How would you categorise their music? From a quick Google, seeing everything from Indie to Alt-Indie to Indie-Pop..

.. regardless, Indie seems to be the common thread there.

IMO, they're radio-friendly indie.
    Indie isn't a sound, it's a system.

Bastille are not part of that system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Indie isn't a sound, it's a system.

Bastille are not part of that system.

In fairness most bands mentioned here aren't part of that system either:-)

The new De La Soul album is also excellent. I feel like I've been saying that about a half dozen albums this past two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Album is definitely a serious grower. I think the second half of the album in particular is fantastic, 'Everything all at once', 'Psycho Lover's' and Mother Emmanuel' in particular, plus fountains of youth of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,710 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The hot new platter from Teenage Fanclub, pop-pickers! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Album not out yet but new Sohn single "Signal" is. Video directed and starring Mila Jojovich:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

New Wilco is enjoyable, love it one first listen - wonder how long it'll last.

Love the new Frank Ocean. Ivy is the track of the year so far for me.

Hey Basq post whatever you want in here, it's all alternative to something. Besides it's moslty emo pop these days.... Oh no he didn't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I must say the new James Vincent McMorrow and All Tvvins albums that have been released recently have taken up most of my listening time of late and I think they're brilliant. Some of the songs on the JVM album strike me as an Irish Blood Orange or the Weeknd. All Tvvins have been knocking about a while but the album is great. It is embarrassing to think how awesome the guitarist is. He was an unhinged genius at times in Adebisi Shank and he's translated that brilliance across to indie pop seamlessly.

I've also enjoyed the afore-mentioned Local Natives album, as well as those from Mat Kerekes and Touche Amore.
    MK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE3Vv6Diz_Y
    TA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYQ9yMss1c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

The hot new platter from Teenage Fanclub, pop-pickers! :cool:

I'm finding this a little bit of a slow burner to be honest. I'm a huge fan, and need to give it a bit more time. So far my impressions are, Thin Air is a vintage Gerry Love song, typically soaring melodic chorus especially. I would probably have traditionally leaned more towards his songs. However, for me, and for the second album in a row, this album really belongs to Norman Blake. Darkest Part of the Night, Connected to Life, and Live in the Moment are really good, not to mention the single, I'm in Love. Raymond's songs have quite pulled me in like the othe two, With You is probably his best effort here. Still one of my favourite bands though. Good to have them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

New album from Hamilton Leithauser & Rostam out today. Hadn't been on my radar at all, and haven't listened to the Walkmen in ages. I'm sold after my first listen. Brilliant album, will definitely be getting repeat listens over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

New Devendra Banhart out today "Ape in pink marble" - he's a bit of an acquired taste, but I like his stuff. This one seems quite mellow with touches of electronica like his last record "Mala", and unlike his wackier earlier albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

New album from Hamilton Leithauser & Rostam out today. Hadn't been on my radar at all, and haven't listened to the Walkmen in ages. I'm sold after my first listen. Brilliant album, will definitely be getting repeat listens over the weekend!

I'll be checking that out thanks. Decent tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

New Windings album is out this week. Streaming online. It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Here's two I like that haven't been mentioned yet, Lemon Twigs album is out next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Think that Lemon Twigs record is gonna be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Another day or two till the album Practice is released.Reminds me of classic robert wyatt/ pink floyd this is clive langers group, producer of some iconic albums over the years morrisey, madness and our own hothouseflowers .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Album to follow, but new White Lies single was released on Friday. Sgrand. Unsure really, seems a bit blah but there';s some nice synthy flourishes which I'm a sucker for. And despite the absolute dirt they've released over the last few years I'll always have a soft spot for the single "Death" from their first album "To Lose My Life" (2009).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The Pinegrove debut album 'Cardinal' is really solid. The lead singer is a bit special imho - outstanding lyrics for one so young.

They're playing Whelans this Saturday for the measly sum of €13 and a free gig in Roisin Dubh, Galway on Thursday night!

Was somewhat unsure of Bon Iver's new album.. bit heavy handed on vocoder... but loving it after another one or two listens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Was somewhat unsure of Bon Iver's new album.. bit heavy handed on vocoder... but loving it after another one or two listens!

It gets better with each listen....22 (over soon) and 29 Strafford APTS are superb tracks.

Advertisement