Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

CS3121262-02A-BIG-400x400.jpg

Wye Oak released a new EP today. Shriek was a lovely listen, hoping Tween will be as good.
    It's already on Spotify so I'll be giving it a listen tonight.

Link?

Blown away by protobaby in the workmans this eve

New album and the debut album both here

http://protobaby.bandcamp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wye Oak released a new EP today. Shriek was a lovely listen, hoping Tween will be as good.
    It's already on Spotify so I'll be giving it a listen tonight.

Absolutely LOVED Shriek - thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

New Gold Panda album is lovely :)

This gets better the more I listen to it. Brilliant album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

As someone posted Paul Simon has a new record out which the critics adore

Band of Horses also back with a good one and even Garbage's comeback was not slated by critics garnering a respectable 75 on Metacritic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

King Kong Company album is finally released, streaming on Spotify.

A band I have seen many a time over the years, it'll be interesting to see how it translates.

Looking forward to giving it a listen.

King Kong Company album is finally released, streaming on Spotify.

A band I have seen many a time over the years, it'll be interesting to see how it translates.

Looking forward to giving it a listen.

Very creative on the video front as well, spacehopper for one is brilliant.

A couple of new albums out today that I have been looking forward to.

First up is Olafur Arnalds - 'Late Night Tales'

ALN44_index.jpg

Following on from the last few excellent LNT albums (Nils Frahm, Jon Hopkins) Arnalds throws his hat into the ring. I have heard a few tracks from this already and it's very promising, with excellent tracks from Rival Consoles and Kiasmos, looking forward to listening to it as a continuous piece.

Next up is DJ Shadow - 'The Mountain Will Fall'

220px-Djshadow2016album.jpg

His first proper album in five years since 'The Less You Know, The Better' and a whole ten years since 'The Outsider'.

In my opinion he hasn't released a decent album since 'The Private Press' way back in 2002.

I've only listened to the one track from it so far, 'Bergschund' with Nils Frahm, and it's pretty great. Fingers crossed the rest of the album holds the same standard.

Plenty of listening to do today at least :)

New Blood Orange album 'Freetown Sound' released on Monday, and it's a stunner. If anyone isn't familiar with him, they should definitely check out his previous album 'Cupid Deluxe'. Also well worth checking out his other projects i.e Lightspeed Champion etc.

Here's the first single from the new album. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

New Metronomy record - initially was a bit disappointed, but it's a grower.

• Advertisement

Outstanding album,full of interesting lyrics,back when I was Brilliant and In a former life probably the stand out tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

New Avalanches album Wildflower has exceeded my expectations ... It's fantastic

Another album worth checking out is Anderson Paak - Malibu (released in January)

keith_d99 wrote: »
    New Avalanches album Wildflower has exceeded my expectations ... It's fantastic

Another album worth checking out is Anderson Paak - Malibu (released in January)

Yes indeed, the new Avalanches record is beautiful. Loving it.

The 3rd track from the upcoming 'Wild Beasts' album Boy King.

Looking forward to tomorrow, some great releases coming out.

First up is 'No Man's Sky: Music for an Infinite Universe ' by 65daysofstatic. For those not aware, it's the soundtrack to the game of the same name.

'Wild Light' was definitely one of my favourite album releases of 2013, stunning album.

Although this is a soundtrack, it is believed that it will be hold it's own with the rest of the bands back catalog.

They also released a soundtrack album in 2011 called 'Silent Running' which works brilliantly as a standalone album.

This is the first track released from the upcoming album.

Next up is 'Guidance' by Russian Circles

Three tracks have already been released for this album and are available to stream. The three tracks actually combine to make one piece of music. 'Vorel', the first is probably the most straight forward, and hard hitting, in the vein of previous RC releases, this leads into Mota, which is more nuanced, but builds nicely into a fantastic track.

Whether the whole album continues like this I'm not sure, but can't wait to give it a listen tomorrow.

And finally for myself, the new Wild Beasts album 'Boy King'

I've been a big fan since the second album and have seen them numerous times. While I enjoyed 'Present Tense' I didn't think was as strong as 'Smother' or 'Two Dancers'.

So I've heard four tracks from this one, and while I wasn't sure at first if I like the new direction, all four have certainly grown on me. Whether it'll be a strong as previous albums I'm not sure but I'd be surprised if it wasn't excellent.

New album called FLOTUS out in November, I think, but this is brand new, very long and glorious. I love Lambchop.
    https://youtu.be/Cf9wz5esgAo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Blossoms debut album is day-cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

mosstin wrote:
    New album called FLOTUS out in November, I think, but this is brand new, very long and glorious. I love Lambchop.

Savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

mosstin wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Cf9wz5esgAo

I love Lambchop, but I'm not sure about that single - it's basically a typical Lambchop song with 7 minutes of slightly dull electronica on either side of it.

I hadn't realised Kurt had already released an electronic influenced record last year under the name Hecta, so I gave that a spin and it's actually pretty good:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1zqR5H0u7SbWAOit79ukLj

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    I love Lambchop, but I'm not sure about that single - it's basically a typical Lambchop song with 7 minutes of slightly dull electronica on either side of it.

I hadn't realised Kurt had already released an electronic influenced record last year under the name Hecta, so I gave that a spin and it's actually pretty good:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/1zqR5H0u7SbWAOit79ukLj

Think it's lovely myself. Really well arranged and I think their sound lends itself really well to a bit of electronica.

New album from Olafur Arnalds called 'Island Songs'. Some really stunning music on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

If you like that Olafur Arnalds, you should check out the stuff he has done with Nils Frahm and Nils solo stuff. Beautiful music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

GopErthike wrote: »
    If you like that Olafur Arnalds, you should check out the stuff he has done with Nils Frahm and Nils solo stuff. Beautiful music.

Or his Kiasmos stuff......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    'teens of denial' by car seat headrest!

For some reason I put off listening to this for months.....but it's fantastic.

Quality new indie rock in 2016? Who would've thunk it...

Love this. New album from King Creosote, 'Astronaut Meets Appleman'.

First track from the new James Vincent McMorrow album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

First track from the new James Vincent McMorrow album.

His other track "Get Low" is savage. I love how he has the balls to diversify a bit from singer songwriter style. Theres a good wiff of r'n'b and hip hop off this new track

So many great new albums around in the past couple of weeks. Angel Olsen, Teenage Fanclub, Okkervil River, Scott Walker (soundtrack) and Bon Iver imminent (though I'm still very much on the fence with the latter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

mosstin wrote:
    So many great new albums around in the past couple of weeks. Angel Olsen, Teenage Fanclub, Okkervil River, Scott Walker (soundtrack) and Bon Iver imminent (though I'm still very much on the fence with the latter).

Wilco and Nick Cave new albums out tomorrow too!

Advertisement