Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU 2012 Accommodation Thread **MOD WARNING POST #48**

Options
  • 29-05-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hey I'm looking to start a thread for those entering DCU 2012. Feel free to discuss accommodation. I myself applied for Shanowen Square a couple of weeks ago and have since noticed they are accepting no new applications due to the high volume received. Very surprised at this, thought demand wouldn't be high till august. :O

Anyone else going into first year DCU in September (hopefully!), applied for accommodation or have any advice to give? :)

MOD WARNING POST #48

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

Hey I'm looking to start a thread for those entering DCU 2012. Feel free to discuss accommodation. I myself applied for Shanowen Square a couple of weeks ago and have since noticed they are accepting no new applications due to the high volume received. Very surprised at this, thought demand wouldn't be high till august. :O

Anyone else going into first year DCU in September (hopefully!), applied for accommodation or have any advice to give? :)

I stayed in Larkfield (on campus) this year. Its the first year accom, and generally where you end up of you apply for campus, regardless of what you put down in your preferences.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Many will disagree i'm sure but many more will agree when i say that it is a depressive, overpriced, noisy, smelly dungeon of a place similar to what you would imagine a prison cell.

You're Only sharing with one person and if you don't get along with that person, it can put a dampener on the whole year.

I suppose the positives are that you get to know lots of first years in the same boat as you and theres loadsa parties and stuff. But thats probably it.

Shanowen square is lovely, its really modern and you're sharing with 4or 5 (can't remember people), and theres SPACE. (when you live in larkfield you come to appreciate space) Don't think you get to choose your housemates there though.

Thats just my 2cents anyway. Hope that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

I stayed in Gateway, which is a bit farther away than Shanowen, but I loved living there. They're fairly laid back about having people over, and it's generally much quieter than Shanowen Square of Halls.
    The flat I lived in had a good sized kitchen/sitting room with a couch, coffee table, TV, oven, microwave, toaster, kettle and fridge. The room is a bit bigger than my one at home, so it's a fair size, with a desk, wardrobe, bed, mirror and chair.

Shanowen gets a lot of people returning to stay, because it's so close to the college and there's a good atmosphere around it, which would explain why the demand is so high.

To get the most out of the accommodation, you just need to take a look at what you want from it. Good luck with the Leaving Cert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

I think my favourite part of living in Larkfield in first year is how much it made me appreciate living just about anywhere else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I stayed in Larkfield (on campus) this year. Its the first year accom, and generally where you end up of you apply for campus, regardless of what you put down in your preferences.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Many will disagree i'm sure but many more will agree when i say that it is a depressive, overpriced, noisy, smelly dungeon of a place similar to what you would imagine a prison cell.

You're Only sharing with one person and if you don't get along with that person, it can put a dampener on the whole year.

I suppose the positives are that you get to know lots of first years in the same boat as you and theres loadsa parties and stuff. But thats probably it.

Shanowen square is lovely, its really modern and you're sharing with 4or 5 (can't remember people), and theres SPACE. (when you live in larkfield you come to appreciate space) Don't think you get to choose your housemates there though.

Thats just my 2cents anyway. Hope that helped!

Seconded! i didn't even live in larkfield but i could barely take visiting friends there, it is soo so depressing so i can't imagine what living in it is like. My friends told me that it's vastly overpriced for what you get(a cold, depressing box you can barely move in) plus they fcuk you over with fines during room inspections

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

I lived in Larkfield last year too, and Jesus I was never happier to leave a place than I was when I closed the door for the last time on May 27th.

In a mirror to the above comment, my room mate and I didn't get on AT ALL. Ok, we shared civil words together, but when you come home and the first thing they do is lock their door, it gets depressing.

Second, mid-year a friend who lived in Larkfield, with whom I spent a lot of time, and I fell out, so I ended the year sitting in my room alone watching DVDs and listening to Adele while trying to entice Larkfield Cat into my room (oh yeah, Larkfield has a few cats around)

Enough on that.

I've spent a few nights in Shanowen, and from experience it's miles better than Larkfield. For one thing, you actually have your own bathroom, which eliminates the 'GET OUT OF THE F**KING BATHROOM' shouting matches which are inevitable when living with other girls. As well as this, you can move about in the kitchen. The kitchen in Larkfield is a glorified triangle, and if you can fit five people into one of them, I'll give you my life savings.

And, there are couches. Larkfield have none of that. It also doesn't have the freedom to bring a non-resident into the place after midnight. Shanowen be sound like that.

I myself am (hopefully) going into JR2, and have applied for Halls with two classmates. You can apply with a friend, otherwise it's completely random picking.

Rant over, you'll be glad to hear. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Yer_Wan wrote: »
    I lived in Larkfield last year too, and Jesus I was never happier to leave a place than I was when I closed the door for the last time on May 27th.

In a mirror to the above comment, my room mate and I didn't get on AT ALL. Ok, we shared civil words together, but when you come home and the first thing they do is lock their door, it gets depressing.

Second, mid-year a friend who lived in Larkfield, with whom I spent a lot of time, and I fell out, so I ended the year sitting in my room alone watching DVDs and listening to Adele while trying to entice Larkfield Cat into my room (oh yeah, Larkfield has a few cats around)

Enough on that.

I've spent a few nights in Shanowen, and from experience it's miles better than Larkfield. For one thing, you actually have your own bathroom, which eliminates the 'GET OUT OF THE F**KING BATHROOM' shouting matches which are inevitable when living with other girls. As well as this, you can move about in the kitchen. The kitchen in Larkfield is a glorified triangle, and if you can fit five people into one of them, I'll give you my life savings.

And, there are couches. Larkfield have none of that. It also doesn't have the freedom to bring a non-resident into the place after midnight. Shanowen be sound like that.

I myself am (hopefully) going into JR2, and have applied for Halls with two classmates. You can apply with a friend, otherwise it's completely random picking.

Thanks a lot, I'm very happy I've put in for Shanowen from all this feedback! :D I know you were unhappy with your room mate, but in general would you find people get on well in Shanowen? People say there is usually a good atmosphere there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

Yer_Wan wrote: »

Enough on that.

Hi Aoife.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

Hi Aoife.

Hi Nicola \o/ *I mean, who's Aoife?*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Larkfield is a shoebox, great for meeting first years and for parties though.

I lived in hampstead in first year with two of my mates and two other guys, way better than larkfield and good fun if you have friendly neighbors.

Shanowen Halls are good enough, not the nicest apartments in the world (compared to Square anyways) but parties there are good craic and there's a nice general buzz about the place. not sure if its worth the price, watch out for ridiculous fines for not keeping the apartments clean.

Shanowen Square is pretty much the exact same as Halls except its kept to a slightly higher standard and is just nicer to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

The accommodation always has people complaining because you get two types living there. Those who want to party, be best friends with everyone, and never be alone.
    And then those who want to study, get some privacy and just generally do their own thing.
    It seems both are always complaining about each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

If you're looking to rent a room for the coming college year, how early should you start looking? (Not campus or Shanowen, just a room in a house). Is it too early now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

tigerblob wrote: »
    If you're looking to rent a room for the coming college year, how early should you start looking? (Not campus or Shanowen, just a room in a house). Is it too early now?

I'd give it another 2 weeks anyway to start looking and even then is the early end of the spectrum. End of July/ early August would be peak time to be looking for a room somewhere as most of the ads would be up by then. Aim to have somewhere secured before mid August (LC results) and you should be happy out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Konata wrote: »
    I'd give it another 2 weeks anyway to start looking and even then is the early end of the spectrum. End of July/ early August would be peak time to be looking for a room somewhere as most of the ads would be up by then. Aim to have somewhere secured before mid August (LC results) and you should be happy out :)

I forgot to mention that I'm only looking to start renting in the beginning of October, do the same guidelines still apply?

tigerblob wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that I'm only looking to start renting in the beginning of October, do the same guidelines still apply?

Renting from start of October is a tricky one as most places will be taken from September. I'd start looking around the same time but explain to the landlord you only want it from October - some may be accomodating, others may not be. But if you leave it much later than everyone else looking they're mightn't be anything good left so yea, I'd start looking by the first week in August anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I know a few veterans of Larkfield! But I cannot share their pain.

I'm going into third year now, but I spent first year in Hazelwood and second year in a house share.

Hazelwood
    For those rejected from Shanowen, campus AND Gateway. 30 mins walk away, and generally the outcast of student accommodation.
    Do not expect college friends to rush to your party in a hurry, and their close proximity to Tesco and DCU leaves them spoiled and not up for a trek.
    You get four housemates (you can choose to live with first years). You get a spacious room (even more spacious if you're as lucky as me, and get a massive disabled room).
    It's not a student complex, but most of its inhabitants are students (DCU, DIT, TRINNITY, PATS, etc) so you get a wide base of friends which you don't get in the largely DCU orientated Shanowen (my best friend, whom I met in Hazelwood, is a Trinner).
    Security are good at their job, and don't take shít. So if you're having a party, keep the noise down, otherwise, well, if you see them, then you'll understand.
    They're sound if you respect them.
    I got free GYM membership to Northwood, which is right next door. The surrounding area is a Celtic Tiger wet dream! Modern buildings to let, and hotels, and a Retail Park with some decent shops. Aldi, 15mins away.
    Unfortunately, you have to walk right into Ballymun to get most of the buses, so watch yourself.

Houseshare
    Avoid owner occupied properties at all costs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Laura says

Hi,
    I'm a dcu student going into second year, really want to live in shanowen square this year, but i know you're meant to pay the rent in two instalments? Does anybody know of other ways to pay? monthly or weekly? It just seems like a lot of money to pay out in one go before the grant cheques come in! I know. . definition of a poor student :P
    Also, at the minute, the website says they are not currently talking bookings due to the large volume already received. . any information on that?
    Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

I hope to get a one bed apartment nearby to DCU, but I havent a clue about Dublin (crappy sense of direction). Which areas should I be looking in on daft.ie etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 taibhsehat

I stayed with them for a year and it was pretty grand. Send them an e-mail and just ask them. They will let you know if they have space or not.

Chances are they will be full and will ask you to fill out an application form and they will get back to you if people cancel.

Merged some posts in here, renamed the thread and stickied it. ALL accomodation questions related to the upcoming academic year should be posted here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dmac2012

Hi

I'm starting a Masters in DCU in September.

Looking to live somewhere near the college but near town too, and do not want to live on campus/student accommodation!

Anyone suggest areas to look for a house? I'm actually not from Dublin so don't really have a clue of the area!

cheers

• Advertisement

For people who want to live near the college - Ballymun, Glasnevin and Whitehall are the most immediate areas. Some parts of Santry are very close too, and there is also Drumcondra for accomodation, there's buses to near the college from most of these places. Drumcondra you'll be competing with other colleges more for accomodation though.
    Just take a good look at where DCU is in relation to everything else, the buses that run between both places, the houses on offer and what you want from those houses. If you want somewhere closer to town, then get a place closer to town. Try to research which areas are rough, and be well aware of how long it takes to get to college, buses in the mornings can be a nightmare. That's all I can think of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

are there many 1 bedroom apartments or flats nearby with parking up for rent? Cant find much on DAFT

CountryJoe wrote: »
    are there many 1 bedroom apartments or flats nearby with parking up for rent? Cant find much on DAFT

The general area is housing estates, the only apartments/flats are really student accomodation. You might have better look in Drumcondra, most buses to DCU from town go through there. Look at the maps for the 4, 9, 11 and 13 for an idea of general areas. Though if you have a car, the only issue you'll have is parking space in DCU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

There's always plenty of places to rent in Upper Drumcondra because
    of St. Pats college so you'll more than likely be sharing with Pats people. But what I noticed from last year is there are more 9 months lease houses in Drumcondra than anywhere else like Collins Av or Whitehall which is definitely what you want unless you're intending to work and live in Dublin the following Summer:) I lived there last year, 15min walk to DCU and 10 mins back as it was up hill on the way so it wasn't too bad at all! Really nice area with a Tesco, shops and takeaways and there's plenty of buses!

If you shop around you're generally talking between 80-100euro a week with everything included (electricity, internet, UPC tv etc.) There's not a lot on Daft.ie or any of the other websites atm but I'd say there'll be more houses on offer at the beginning of August. As far as I know, landlords don't like to advertise too early in case people pull out and then it's too late to advertise the house! But try and find something before the Leaving Cert results come out because then there is a massive amount of people out looking for gafs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

polkabunny wrote: »
    The general area is housing estates, the only apartments/flats are really student accomodation. You might have better look in Drumcondra, most buses to DCU from town go through there. Look at the maps for the 4, 9, 11 and 13 for an idea of general areas. Though if you have a car, the only issue you'll have is parking space in DCU :)
    smeal wrote: »
    There's always plenty of places to rent in Upper Drumcondra because
    of St. Pats college so you'll more than likely be sharing with Pats people. But what I noticed from last year is there are more 9 months lease houses in Drumcondra than anywhere else like Collins Av or Whitehall which is definitely what you want unless you're intending to work and live in Dublin the following Summer:) I lived there last year, 15min walk to DCU and 10 mins back as it was up hill on the way so it wasn't too bad at all! Really nice area with a Tesco, shops and takeaways and there's plenty of buses!

If you shop around you're generally talking between 80-100euro a week with everything included (electricity, internet, UPC tv etc.) There's not a lot on Daft.ie or any of the other websites atm but I'd say there'll be more houses on offer at the beginning of August. As far as I know, landlords don't like to advertise too early in case people pull out and then it's too late to advertise the house! But try and find something before the Leaving Cert results come out because then there is a massive amount of people out looking for gafs!!

Thank you both for the information, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 allygatore

Hi everyone,
    I'm an international student who will be studying E-business in DCU next year. I sent my application to Shanowen square weeks ago, has anyone received something from them yet?
    Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 zarra

......Hi we are currently taking numbers for students looking for digs this sept who will be attending dcu,beautiful dorma bungalow room for up to 6 students,all mod cons,about 15 mins to dcu,not quite sure how to do this on this site ..help!

zarra wrote: »
    ......Hi we are currently taking numbers for students looking for digs this sept who will be attending dcu,beautiful dorma bungalow room for up to 6 students,all mod cons,about 15 mins to dcu,not quite sure how to do this on this site ..help!

Maybe try putting it on daft.ie and collegecribs.ie - it also helps if you let people know where it's located, local bus routes (and distance from them), etc. Also, if you want people to have enough people to fill the house in one go, or if they can apply separately, and how much they'd be looking at paying each between deposit and rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sinead1990

Hey, myself and a guy from my course(both 22 and in DIT) are looking into a 4 bed house in Fitzroy Avenue, Drumcondra. Its 1500 a month. Hopefully the landlord will give us a 9/10 month lease. If anybody would be interested?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 allygatore

They have just changed the Shanowen square website :
    We will be taking applications for the waiting list from 2pm, Monday 6th August.
    Online applications only will be accepted.
    The deposit must be paid by bank transfer or cheque following your application.
    If a room is not offered the deposit will be refunded.Rooms will be allocated in order of application on a first come first served basis and will be contacted directly.
    If a room is not offered the deposit will be refunded.
    Approximately 30 places will be available.
    Contract are being issued this week to successful applicants. The first rent installment €2300 is due 15th August.
    Move-in date is from 15th September.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement