Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

*IMPORTANT NOTICE* NEW INSTALLERS PRIVATE FORUM

2»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭kippy


    scaller wrote: »
    As far as i know there are already a few private forums up and running on boards.
    With the amount of Day to Day installers and trade body installers on the threads and the amount of thread closures and confrontational posts from guys who challenge every post an installer makes then it only makes sense to have a Installers private sub forum.
    There are indeed a few private forums, however I am not sure whether they are for use by professionals in a certain area, theres no "mechanics" forum in the motor section, or solicitors forum in the legal area etc.......


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction


    I think its a good idea. It doesn't set a new precedent as Dav has stated ''We've had this in other areas of the site and we've set up private forums for the people involved in the "trade" related to the subject''.

    I don't see how it can be a bad idea for installers to be allowed to talk privately about issues that relate to themselves without being attacked by uninformed armchair enthusiasts which has become the norm.


  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan


    There are probably no hassle in those threads like there is here every time a trade body is mentioned or a picture of a Crap job that was done by a chancer is put up there has been numerous threads locked here because of this. As far as I am aware the Alarm and CCTV threads have a private forum set as well. It can only do good by having Day to Day installers chatting amongst themselves without the outside interference.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭kippy


    Extinction wrote: »
    I think its a good idea. It doesn't set a new precedent as Dav has stated ''We've had this in other areas of the site and we've set up private forums for the people involved in the "trade" related to the subject''.

    I don't see how it can be a bad idea for installers to be allowed to talk privately about issues that relate to themselves without being attacked by uninformed armchair enthusiasts which has become the norm.

    I missed that bit, fair enough, I wasn't aware of any such forums.


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty


    Of course for a PRIVATE forum you don't need Boards at all.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red


    This is just my 2 cents but any help here from such an expert is very welcome - Sure that's what a Joe Soap is looking for on a forum isn't it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron


    scaller wrote: »
    Its fairly clear that whole idea of having a INSTALLERS PRIVATE forum is that Day to Day Installers can chat, post up pictures,share stories and discuss the Trade without the outside interference from people who are not in the business day to day which was becoming to frequent here lately. Its a brilliant idea and it only should be Day to Day legit tax paying installers allowed in or else there is no point in having a INSTALLERS PRIVATE forum. Thanks again to Dav and Beruthiel for allowing this.
    If that's the intention behind setting it up, then so be it.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Anyway I'd _hate_ to lose access to the cowboy installer photos thread. Some absolutely classics in there like the Sky dish on the tree in Wexford....or in fact anything at all from Wexford. :D
    Since the thread was moderated more closely, then has been no problems. I don't see why it can't be left in this forum.

    It won't be much of a private forum if everyone else can read it, yet not post in it. I don't see the logic of such an idea.:confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan


    So what's the criteria for joining a private installers forum?
    My word that I'm an installer?
    Vat registered.
    Member of a trade association?
    Boards are hardly expected to verify that I'm not a "rogue" installer.


    Further contentious threads to follow…


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty


    There are people that a professional in the Industry and either don't install any more or never install. What about a CAI rep, RTENL bod etc?

    Who decides who gets in? (Hint "Moderator" isn't a Who, but a Boards.ie role).


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron


    watty wrote: »
    There are people that a professional in the Industry and either don't install any more or never install. What about a CAI rep, RTENL bod etc?
    Add to that the ISAA. It wouldn't be much of a forum if they were not allowed access.

    Would these bodies be required to have a verified representative account, as seems to be boards policy these days?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock


    A forum for installers, as in the title of the thread, for legit CRO registered installers would be a positive move.

    As the country is awash with 'digital saorview ' this that and the other non CRO registered, non tax paying inexperienced 'monkeys with ladders'

    A place for active tax complient, CRO reg installers to discuss the state of the industry in private, would be a welcome addition, and would be a benefit to both the real installers and the consumer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus


    A forum for installers, as in the title of the thread, for legit CRO registered installers would be a positive move.

    As the country is awash with 'digital saorview ' this that and the other non CRO registered, non tax paying inexperienced 'monkeys with ladders'

    A place for active tax complient, CRO reg installers to discuss the state of the industry in private, would be a welcome addition, and would be a benefit to both the real installers and the consumer.

    An entity like Boards cannot insist on a poster being tax compliant or have a current VAT no. That is a function of Revenue. It will be an onerous task to come up with a fair criteria to join. I have to say that I learned a lot from the installers who post here.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock


    That's why I mentioned CRO, easily checked on the website by the forum mod, and or other joining installers.
    It seems the only people having a problem with the idea of a private installers forum, are non installers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭John mac


    you could just log in here I dont know how installers are verified though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron


    It seems the only people having a problem with the idea of a private installers forum, are non installers.
    I'm not sure one person on this thread has said they are against the forum.:confused:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock


    cast_iron wrote: »
    I'm not convinced on the need for the private forum myself,.

    really


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron


    You know, everyone can go back and read what was actually posted, so selectively quoting half a sentence I posted is a little unfair, especially since in the rest of that sentence, I actually stated that the new forum may prove quite useful for installers.

    For the record, here's what I actually posted:
    I'm not convinced on the need for the private forum myself, though perhaps, in time, it will turn into a useful area for installers to share trade knowledge and air grievances among themselves.

    Also, when scaller stated what he thought the logic was behind setting up the the forum, I did not disagree, or "have a problem" as you put it.

    So please don't try to paint a picture of me being against the new forum to suit your own agenda. Many people have come on here and questioned exactly how it would all work, as very little information has been forthcoming from any Mods. That's not to say any of them are "anti" the idea.
    Far too often, people on here view anyone that doesn't agree with them as being against them. It's childish and narrow minded, it leads to all manner of arguments that have ruined good threads, and it doesn't help anyone. If people with attitudes like that are confined to a private forum, then I for one am all for such a forum.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock


    as you are not an installer, why are you posting on a thread about a new forum that you wil not be able to participate in?

    or is it your usual trolling to rise an arguement that has closed many a thread in the past?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron


    as you are not an installer, why are you posting on a thread about a new forum that you wil not be able to participate in?
    So, you come on posting incorrect facts, I prove them wrong, then your only argument is "well why are you here anyway", yet I'm the troll? :confused:

    This thread is open to anyone, and is not restricted to any one set of people. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as the next person.
    Either way, I'm usually happy to debate any points with anyone, but when your only response is to come back with a straw man argument, I won't be corresponding with you on this thread again.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock


    What incorrect facts, it was you who said you're not convinced :confused:


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB


    If it stops all the bickering it will have achieved something.

    The last time I posted in one I was banned for a week for off topic posting. (It was a picture of popcorn submitted in a humorous mode) :)

    Don't mind me saying this, but the same for and against posters keep appearing in this threads !


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty


    John mac wrote: »
    you could just log in here I dont know how installers are verified though.

    By Magic :)

    There is a Billy Goat watching the applications for Trolls. It's not an automatic system.


  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt


    The forum is active. All you have to do is ask for permission to join (proving credentials, of course).

    Probably time this thread was closed.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement