Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*IMPORTANT NOTICE* NEW INSTALLERS PRIVATE FORUM

• 28-05-2012 10:22am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have set up a new private forum for Installers.

This is so we can separate your ordinary Joe Soap from the professional Installers as I believe they have managed to colour the content of this forum and taken away the original intent.

So, from now on:

Professional Installers are NOT allowed to post in this forum.

And by that I mean:

Installers must stop posting about work and their trade which has taken over the forum.
    So, any installer who mentions her/his business in this public forum will be banned from here.
    The only place Installers can discuss their business is in the private forum.

If you are a professional installer, drop a PM to one of the Mods of this forum for access to the private forum.

If installers continue to post in the public Terrestrial Forum they will be banned for here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What does that mean, anyone who's an installer can no longer give any advise to the public on Saorview? Sorry, I can't be part of this new forum if it means that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

So the likes of Tony and stevon are not alowed to post in the open forum?

whats the point of that?

Exactly, What's the point in a public information forum if those with the knowledge aren't allowed to post there? This is absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This seems like a retrograde step.
    Kinda like stopping the people who have the best advise stop giving it.
    I am an IT professional, I wouldn't like to be banned from posting in the generic IT Fora on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

Beruthiel wrote: »
    So, from now on:

Professional Installers are NOT allowed to post in this forum.

Terrible idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what the difference is between a new installer and professional one. I woulld assume a new one would be professional. Your English makes little sense and I thought I had a good grasp of it after 47 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭swedex

One of the problems with public forums is an abundance of bad advice, albeit most of it well intended. By removing the people who are an authority on the subject you will be left with posts filled with average to bad advice and likely those who aren't installers but can give good advice will go elsewhere.

I'm not an installer or know the first thing about aerials, I just appreciate knowledge because I lack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yes terrible idea. clarification needed as to why its necessary and a very retrograde step indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what the difference is between a new installer and professional one. I woulld assume a new one would be professional. Your English makes little sense and I thought I had a good grasp of it after 47 years.

Are you taking the piss or do you genuinely think it's a forum for new installers as opposed to a new forum for installers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

This looks like a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Surely a compromise solution can be found? Issues relating directly to the trade, trade associations, "cowboy" installers etc can be kept in the private forum and such topics banned from this forum. Installers would then be free to contribute on other matters in this forum?

• Advertisement

Seems like they sent in the big guns for this one (Beruthiel). Beruthiel doesn't even contribute here. What are the category and forum mods opinions on this? Surely they can see how stupid this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

To do this you will have to limit Joe Soap to posting about programme content on terrestrial and not ask any questions of a technical nature (which Joe is always asking). You will also have to ensure that if joe does ask a technical question that it will be deleted and any reply is also deleted as the answer obviously won't be from somebody who knows what they are talking about. Silly idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree. This has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions ever. If you applied the same principle to the rest of Boards, they may as well just close the site and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yeah interesting that it wasnt a mod such as ICDG that posted these new rules. surely you should actually consult with the users of this board first and foremost. Boards.ie was one of the biggest opponents of sherlocks law as I call it now they seem to be taking it upon themselves to censor free speech if you are in installer that likes to help out on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

What a joke. I am well aware that Boards isn't a democracy, but this is taking liberties.

Half the reason I frequent this forum as much as I do is to hear from the "professionals"

If the regualr non professional is no longer allowed to read the opinion(s) of the pros, what is the point of the forum, my dear?

Talking about putting the boot (with steel toecap) in!

Any percieved angst is well percieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's worse is that this isn't the first instance of such goings on on boards. On other forums I've frequented, professionally qualified, experienced posters have either given up posting voluntarily or have been effectively silenced by mods for speaking up against incorrect, or in one specific case, dangerous statements by amateurs in the field. IMO it should be these people who should be being warned / banned, not the professionals who are correcting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK folks, there's been a misunderstanding here - completely my fault.

We (the Admin team) were contacted by the mods and asked to put this in place as a follow on from an initially rejected forum request here. There's been a concern that the forum has become dominated by the installers "talking shop" which is not what the initial intentions for this forum were at all.

We've had this in other areas of the site and we've set up private forums for the people involved in the "trade" related to the subject. That's what the sub-forum mentioned above is for, it's not to silence or stop professional installers just posting like anyone else, but it is designed to take all the threads of that nature out of this forum as we have been told they are causing problems.

So, installers are still free to be a part of this community, but threads about their trade and profession and issues related to that will be considered off topic and they should seek access to the "trade" forum from the moderators.

On top of that, because these are people who've given a lot of time and effort to the site with very useful and professional advice, we'd like to start a thread where they may, if they so choose, list their business name and the area they work in if people are looking for an installer to do a job and would rather give the business to a fellow Boardsie.

Thanks for the clarification Dav

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭medoc

Thanks Dav

As a regular follower ere that clarification is great. While some of the installer inter chat is above me or a bit pickey at tomes I really appreciate everyone's expert contribution dnd it would be s poorer place without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

Good stuff!

Perhaps the OP could be edited as it's a little misleading in light of above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Are you taking the piss or do you genuinely think it's a forum for new installers as opposed to a new forum for installers?
    Well neither the OP nor the thread title make any sense.

The post itself is clearly factually incorrect.
    The thread title actually reads that it's a forum for new installers. With correct grammar (the word 'installers' should have an apostrophe after it), no confusion could arise.

In any case, does one have to have an installation business to get access to the new forum? I, like many others on here, have some knowledge in the area but it's not our profession or day to day job. Do the Mods make a call on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Antenna

Is the new Forum going to be available as 'Read Only' to non-members or not accessible at all to them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Antenna wrote: »
    Is the new Forum going to be available as 'Read Only' to non-members ?

That makes sense. I think the mods wanted somewhere to 'move' certain posts which while betimes highly technical and sometimes contentious if not fractious are frequently of use to the more technically advanced non professionals.....and frequently shop talk.

Anyway I'd _hate_ to lose access to the cowboy installer photos thread. Some absolutely classics in there like the Sky dish on the tree in Wexford....or in fact anything at all from Wexford. :D

I agree that posting should be restricted in that forum as proposed by the OP and Clarified by Dav. It makes moderating easier in here and installer 'issues' are sure to intensify over the next 6 months so this move makes sense in that context.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Well neither the OP nor the thread title make any sense.

Agree about the OP, I just can't believe that others here seriously thought that installers would be banned from posting anything in the main forum.

Agree about the OP, I just can't believe that others here seriously thought that installers would be banned from posting anything in the main forum.

Well I suppose when a senior "mod" comes on here and posts this:
    "Professional Installers are NOT allowed to post in this forum."
    people are going to assume that professional installers are not going to be allowed post in the main forum...........

Well, I assumed rather that it was a post from someone maybe a bit too senior who probably hadn't been made aware of the true nature of the "problem" & of what the trade contributes to the forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well, I assumed rather that it was a post from someone maybe a bit too senior who probably hadn't been made aware of the true nature of the "problem" & of what the trade contributes to the forum here.
    Agreed. I'm sure the local Mods will be along soon enough to explain in a little more detail how it will work.

I'm not convinced on the need for the private forum myself, though perhaps, in time, it will turn into a useful area for installers to share trade knowledge and air grievances among themselves.

However, it is a shame that the only thread started in here to discuss the direction of the forum was deleted and no other one opened. So the merits of any idea never really got chance to be discussed.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Its fairly clear that whole idea of having a INSTALLERS PRIVATE forum is that Day to Day Installers can chat, post up pictures,share stories and discuss the Trade without the outside interference from people who are not in the business day to day which was becoming to frequent here lately. Its a brilliant idea and it only should be Day to Day legit tax paying installers allowed in or else there is no point in having a INSTALLERS PRIVATE forum. Thanks again to Dav and Beruthiel for allowing this.

scaller wrote: »
    Its fairly clear that whole idea of having a INSTALLERS PRIVATE forum is that Day to Day Installers can chat, post up pictures,share stories and discuss the Trade without the outside interference from people who are not in the business day to day which was becoming to frequent here lately. Its a brilliant idea and it only should be day to Day installers allowed in or else there is no point in having a INSTALLERS PRIVATE forum. Thanks again to Dav and Beruthiel for allowing this.

I suppose this isn't such a bad thing but you'd have to wonder if this would set a precedent for other areas of boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

As far as i know there are already a few private forums up and running on boards.
    With the amount of Day to Day installers and trade body installers on the threads and the amount of thread closures and confrontational posts from guys who challenge every post an installer makes then it only makes sense to have a Installers private sub forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement