Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Some good tips there, Cheers.
    I copied your post to a thread over on the Bargain Alerts forum, hope you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I just got one of these, nice looking phone. The thing is when I turn it on with the sim card in I keep getting this message "The process com.android.phone has stop unexpectedly. Please try again." The phone then locks the screen. It keeps happening.
    I can explore the phone without the sim card in though. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone:

1. Go to Tesco Mobile and order Yourself a free sim card

2. After You have card at Your hand go to Vodafone shop and tell them that You want to switch netork from Tesco to Vodafone -- 20 euros off the phone price.

Hi Tom - thanks for the tutorial. What's the deal with the €20 off the phone price; I can't see anything about this on the Vodaphone website? Is this offer still running?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hi Tom - thanks for the tutorial. What's the deal with the €20 off the phone price; I can't see anything about this on the Vodaphone website? Is this offer still running?
    Curious about this also

ionapaul wrote: »
    seannash wrote: »
    Curious about this also

When you buy the phone online you need to pick the option to move your number to Vodafone, then the €20 discount will show up.

I popped into a Vodafone shop at lunchtime to pick one up using Toms advice and I got the phone for €109, If you want instead of the discount they will give you a 3G broadband worth €30.

The phone is very nice, great build quality, better than a HTC Desire imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi jgbyr

Put custom rom on it - it solves a lot of issues plus it removes Vodafone crappware from it
    Or You can try to update it from Hiuawei directly at huawei device
    Tom

jgbyr wrote: »
    I just got one of these, nice looking phone. The thing is when I turn it on with the sim card in I keep getting this message "The process com.android.phone has stop unexpectedly. Please try again." The phone then locks the screen. It keeps happening.
    I can explore the phone without the sim card in though. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks

It turns out that my sim card was the problem. Its a few years old. Went into a VF shop & got a new one ,working fine now.
    Hi jgbyr

Put custom rom on it - it solves a lot of issues plus it removes Vodafone crappware from it
    Or You can try to update it from Hiuawei directly at huawei device
    Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom. Have never done this before but I think I will give it a go. Can the phone be easily restored if something goes wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I put the B888 rom on mine, updating from B886. It gets rid of all the Vodafone crap and the buttons seem to work better. It hasn't been officially released by Huawei though and it's apparently difficult to downgrade again if you need to return the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Sorry for the noob question,but will this phone work in America?

Edit: just found out it will work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Picked up one of these for a family member today. Lovely phone for about 100 bucks. Very like the HTC Desire in shape/design. Going to play with it a bit over the next few days.

• Advertisement

Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone

7. At this point You should receive Your unlock code so You can put Your sim in G300 and start playing.

I went thru above and now have unlocked and de-branded phone.

If You have any questions let me know.

Tom
    A question about this as it's all alien to me. My sim is with Vodafone so do I have to unlock the phone after following the rooting & other steps.

A question about this as it's all alien to me. My sim is with Vodafone so do I have to unlock the phone after following the rooting & other steps.
    If you plan on staying with Vodafone, there's no need to unlock it.

Adyx wrote: »
    If you plan on staying with Vodafone, there's no need to unlock it.
    Thanks for that.

I have been trying to follow the steps to install a rom on the phone.
    I have rooted it but now I am stuck on this:
    5. Go to ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300 to install ClockworkMod Recovery (so You can install custom room on it.

I don't know what I'm supposed to download here & what to do then. Can anyone help. Thanks

I know this lazy and I probably shouldn't just link to another forum but the instructions in this thread on Modaco are fool-proof and easy to follow.

If you want to back up your apps first you can use Titanium before you flash a new ROM.

Also when you have CWM installed make sure you back up your current ROM before you flash a new one. This can use around 550MB so make sure you have space on your SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Donieh

Hi Folks,

I am currently with O2 and was looking to switch to Tesco Mobile when I noticed this thread and would really like the get this phone however I have some clarifying questions about the providers

Do I need to switch to tesco mobile before I begin this?
    With these steps i am guessing you are with vodafone as a provider?Should I just goto Vodafone and say that I want to switch to them from O2 if that's the case what discounts would I get?
    Can this switching be done instore versus online?

Sorry if these basic questions however I have relocated home this weekend from living in the US.

Thanks,
    Donieh

If you pop into a Vodafone shop and switch your number to them there and then you'll get €20 off the price of the phone.
    Go home and buy the unlock code from ebay and then switch your number to Tesco.
    Donieh wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I am currently with O2 and was looking to switch to Tesco Mobile when I noticed this thread and would really like the get this phone however I have some clarifying questions about the providers

With these steps i am guessing you are with vodafone as a provider?Should I just goto Vodafone and say that I want to switch to them from O2 if that's the case what discounts would I get?

Sorry if these basic questions however I have relocated home this weekend from living in the US.

Thanks,
    Donieh

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Donieh

54kroc wrote: »
    If you pop into a Vodafone shop and switch your number to them there and then you'll get €20 off the price of the phone.
    Donieh wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks,
    Donieh

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

What is the battery life like on this phone ,the reviews seem to indicate its the typical 1 day charge period.

I currently have a Tocco Light phone and I usually only have to charge it once a week as my phone usage wouldnt be great.
    I would like to switch to a smartphone but the idea of having to charge a phone every day is a huge turnoff .
    Would I get longer out of the battery with low usage ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    What is the battery life like on this phone ,the reviews seem to indicate its the typical 1 day charge period.

I currently have a Tocco Light phone and I usually only have to charge it once a week as my phone usage wouldnt be great.
    I would like to switch to a smartphone but the idea of having to charge a phone every day is a huge turnoff .
    Would I get longer out of the battery with low usage ?
    With light usage I'd get 2 days easily enough, especially with bluetooth/gps/wifi turned off. There's plenty of options for lowering battery use too like reducing screen brightness, screen timeout and haptic feedback. It comes with a 1A charger too so it doesn't take long to charge it anyway.

There's no way you're going to get a week out of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Can you port a number again that quickly? I didn't know you could ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

With light usage I'd get 2 days easily enough, especially with bluetooth/gps/wifi turned off. There's plenty of options for lowering battery use too like reducing screen brightness, screen timeout and haptic feedback. It comes with a 1A charger too so it doesn't take long to charge it anyway.

There's no way you're going to get a week out of it though.
    Thanks .
    I think I will go for it so,looks a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Does the €20 off apply to switching from any other network or is it just Tesco mobile?

Oracle wrote: »
    Can you port a number again that quickly? I didn't know you could ......

You sure can.
    Simi wrote: »
    Does the €20 off apply to switching from any other network or is it just Tesco mobile?

You get the €20 when you switch from any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

So you can switch from one network to another and back again over a few days? I suppose once you're actually on the other network. I assumed there'd be a minimum period with the other network.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I know this lazy and I probably shouldn't just link to another forum but the instructions in this thread on Modaco are fool-proof and easy to follow.

If you want to back up your apps first you can use Titanium before you flash a new ROM.

Also when you have CWM installed make sure you back up your current ROM before you flash a new one. This can use around 550MB so make sure you have space on your SD card.

Thanks Adyx. All done now & everything is working fine.:)
    I find the look quite bare though. If I restore the original rom can I just remove the VF stuff?

Thanks Adyx. All done now & everything is working fine.:)
    I find the look quite bare though. If I restore the original rom can I just remove the VF stuff?
    I would guess you can uninstall with something like Titanium Backup or Rom Tollbox since you're rooted. You might still have Vodafone stuff in the market though, I'm not sure.

You could always install the B888 rom (it's on Modaco in the G300 Forum too). As far as I remember it's exactly the same as the stock rom except without the Vodafone crap and a slight performance boost/bug fixes. There's a few custom roms based on it too including a Modaco rom and Atomic Mod - which is what I'm currently using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Bought one of these yesterday for €130 from a Vodafone shop and am very happy with it. Android Magazine in its review scored it higher than the HTC One V.

I'm planning on installing Huawei's stock ROM in order to get rid of the Vodafone crapware. But before I do can anyone tell me if the look and feel of the stock ROM will be the same as it is now or did Vodafone customise the look of their ROM too, or just add the the crapware?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

The_Thing wrote: »
    Bought one of these yesterday for €130 from a Vodafone shop and am very happy with it. Android Magazine in its review scored it higher than the HTC One V.

I'm planning on installing Huawei's stock ROM in order to get rid of the Vodafone crapware. But before I do can anyone tell me if the look and feel of the stock ROM will be the same as it is now or did Vodafone customise the look of their ROM too, or just add the the crapware?

Thanks.
    I didn't have the original rom on for long but as far as I remember, it was just the usual crap apps and some vodafone stuff in the market. There might have been a Vodafone branded boot screen too but other than that the stock should be the same. Nothing you'll miss basically.

Advertisement