Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire C 180 euro (Android 4.0)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I think a Huawei Ascend G300 from Vodafone would be a better buy at €129

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Ya the specs on the Huawei are a lot better and its €50 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its a nice looking handset certainly but it has a 600MHz chip FFS, this ridiculous in a €180 phone at this stage. You could get a Samsung europa for 50€ which has a processor as fast as this. Put simply, I can't see anything but the phone getting very slow after alittle while

As the others have said, the Huawei G300 would be a better buy IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Guys, don't be mislead by the specs without trying it. The CPU is a newer Snapdragon ARM Cortex-A5 and clock speed is not directly comparable to earlier generation processors. I own a SGSII overclocked to 1.4Ghz and the Desire C felt just as responsive for general navigation around the UI.

I agree that the Huawei G300 is excellent value but for someone who wants a small screen, Android 4.0 (it also has NFC which might become relevant in the next year or so) the Desire C is worth a look. In terms of aesthetics to me the Huawei looks and feels cheap but the Desire C looks attractive and is very comfortable to hold. There aren't many phones on the market with ICS so some will feel that is worth a small premium.

Finally the point of this thread was that THIS phone is a lot cheaper in Vodafone than anywhere else (e.g. 245 in Expansys.ie. GBP185 from Amazon), this phone isn't for everyone I think it is primarily aimed at those who want something smaller to fit into a purse and the like. If nobody else is interested lets just let this thread quietly die off.

Over and out.
    OWB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Guys, don't be mislead by the specs without trying it. The CPU is a newer Snapdragon ARM Cortex-A5 and clock speed is not directly comparable to earlier generation processors. I own a SGSII overclocked to 1.4Ghz and the Desire C felt just as responsive for general navigation around the UI.

I agree that the Huawei G300 is excellent value but for someone who wants a small screen, Android 4.0 (it also has NFC which might become relevant in the next year or so) the Desire C is worth a look. In terms of aesthetics to me the Huawei looks and feels cheap but the Desire C looks attractive and is very comfortable to hold. There aren't many phones on the market with ICS so some will feel that is worth a small premium.

Finally the point of this thread was that THIS phone is a lot cheaper in Vodafone than anywhere else (e.g. 245 in Expansys.ie. GBP185 from Amazon), this phone isn't for everyone I think it is primarily aimed at those who want something smaller to fit into a purse and the like. If nobody else is interested lets just let this thread quietly die off.

Over and out.
    OWB.
    Also don't forget this handset appears to be unlocked whereas the Hauwei is almost definitely locked to Vodafone.

• Advertisement

I'll believe it would be better than the specs of the processor would suggest but €180 is by far and away as much as you'd want to be paying for a phone like this, which I would see as the replacement for the Wildfire S. The camera is probably decent enough too I imagine

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007N4FE0C/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=ce-de

This could also be worth a look for not a whole lot more,1 GHz chip, 4.3" NOVA LCD screen, NFC, ICS installed, big battery, slim design and a pretty nice looking phone too I think. €240 delivered sim free from German amazon

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_l7_p700-review-768.php

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What's the internal memory like? I have a Wfs and I hate it at this stage, the internal memory makes me hate my phone, thank fèck for Data2sd....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭emo72

my choice is a secondhand desire for about 100, or a brand new one of these? anyone got any advice

OneWayBet wrote: »

The Huawei uses the new MSM7227A chip released Q4 2011(same as the Desire C's), Have a look here, from what i can see its the same as the Desire C's 45nm, ARMv7, Cortex-A5, Adreno 200 Gpu, just clocked at 1ghz compared to the Desire C's 600mhz.

The Screen on the Desire C has only 165ppi and 320x480 pixels compared to the Hauwei with 233ppi and 480x800 pixels. That would definetly put me off the HTC, very low pixel density, also the fact you think the Huawei looks and feels cheap is your own opinion, i think it feels solid and looks good. Android 4.0 is suppose to be released by the end of the summer aswell.

Yes thanks for the heads up, its a good price in comparison to anywhere else you can get it. Personally I dont think its good value for money at 180e for the specs you get. Low screen resolution and pixel density, only 1230mah battery and for 50e less the Huawei is the better phone.

Over and out.
    OWB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I believe that the benefit of not being tied into vodafones ridiculous prepay data rates android ICS and the phone being physically smaller are benefits that put this phone is miles ahead of the Ascend...

• Advertisement

I believe that the benefit of not being tied into vodafones ridiculous prepay data rates android ICS and the phone being physically smaller are benefits that put this phone is miles ahead of the Ascend...

First off the op was just lucky that it was unlocked becuase usually the first batch are, the Huawei can be unlocked on ebay for £5 so that point is irrelevant.

As for ICS, yes thats a plus point if you cant wait for it to be released on the Huawei.

So being physically smaller makes it a better phone then the Huawei?? :rolleyes:

emo72 wrote: »
    my choice is a secondhand desire for about 100, or a brand new one of these? anyone got any advice

Wouldn't get the desire as its fairly old at this stage, i wouldn't recommend getting the desire c though at this price, for 20e more you'd get a One V on adverts if your looking for a HTC or maybe look for a second hand desire s, there going for around €170.

manu2009 wrote: »
    So being physically smaller makes it a better phone then the Huawei?? :rolleyes:

Well that one is personal preference

Remember when mobile phones were mobile? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

manu2009 wrote: »
    Wouldn't get the desire as its fairly old at this stage, i wouldn't recommend getting the desire c though at this price, for 20e more you'd get a One V on adverts if your looking for a HTC or maybe look for a second hand desire s, there going for around €170.

Can you point out some ads for the One V for 120?

BostonB wrote: »
    Can you point out some ads for the One V for 120?

I meant 20e more then the Desire C so 200e e.g. here.

Thats a good price for a v.

And in any case, some one on the android forum said they got an unlock code for the Huawei fro 7€ on ebay, That is definitely worth considering..

You can get the phone for €109 according to somebody_else who made this post over on the android forum.
    Here goes small tutorial how to make most of the phone:

1. Go to Tesco Mobile and order Yourself a free sim card

2. After You have card at Your hand go to Vodafone shop and tell them that You want to switch netork from Tesco to Vodafone -- 20 euros off the phone price.

2a. If You have unwanted phone You can bring it with You and ask Vodafone if they want it - from 5 to 50 euros off the phone price.

3. GO to eBay to purchase unlock code for this phone.

4. Go to ModaCo and follow instruction there to root Your phone.

5. Go to ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300 to install ClockworkMod Recovery (so You can install custom room on it.

6. Go to de-branded Rom for G300 to install custom room on it.

7. At this point You should receive Your unlock code so You can put Your sim in G300 and start playing.

I went thru above and now have unlocked and de-branded phone.

If You have any questions let me know.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

sorry for going slighty off topic here but would the Huawei G300 and HTC Desire C be better than say, an Iphone 3GS looking for a new phone, have that atm

mr.noobie wrote: »
    sorry for going slighty off topic here but would the Huawei G300 and HTC Desire C be better than say, an Iphone 3GS looking for a new phone, have that atm

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Huawei-Ascend-G300-vs-Apple-iPhone-3GS

Too many unknown to do the same with the Desire. The Desire would win it if the details were filled in.

http://geekaphone.com/compare/HTC-Desire-C-with-Beats-Audio-vs-Apple-iPhone-3GS

Besides you are comparing not just the hardware but also different operating systems, IOS vs ANDROID and thats not a simple answer. The 3GS is an old phone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

BostonB wrote: »
    http://geekaphone.com/compare/Huawei-Ascend-G300-vs-Apple-iPhone-3GS

Too many unknown to do the same with the Desire. The Desire would win it if the details were filled in.

http://geekaphone.com/compare/HTC-Desire-C-with-Beats-Audio-vs-Apple-iPhone-3GS

Besides you are comparing not just the hardware but also different operating systems, IOS vs ANDROID and thats not a simple answer. The 3GS is an old phone though.
    I know 3GS is old ive had it quiet some time, I dont keep up to date with the newest phones on the market, the G300 seems better than the Desire C plus its quiet cheaper and I want a relatively cheap phone so thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

The Desire C will probably get a better developer community, which is priceless when it comes to Android phones.

The Desire C will probably get a better developer community, which is priceless when it comes to Android phones.

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Anyone know if the Desire C in Vodafone is still unlocked? Wouldn't mind getting it but have a Meteor sim that I want to use in it. Price is better than Meteor :D

robo wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Desire C in Vodafone is still unlocked? Wouldn't mind getting it but have a Meteor sim that I want to use in it. Price is better than Meteor :D

I wouldn't bet on it... But it could be!

I wouldn't bet on it... But it could be!

Is there anyway of finding out? Do they allow you to put your SIM card in?

robo wrote: »
    Is there anyway of finding out? Do they allow you to put your SIM card in?

I can't see them being overly happy about somebody coming in and putting another networks sim in only to find your purchase depends on whether or not it works lol but you could try :p

I can't see them being overly happy about somebody coming in and putting another networks sim in only to find your purchase depends on whether or not it works lol but you could try :p

Thanks - might try Carphone Warehouse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

You'd never know, I'd say the shop will get the same margin on the handset either way. When I bought one for someone and explained that they are not on Vodafone he said they'd have to come in themselves to get ported over but he didn't seem bothered about whether I followed up on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 AndrewR

I did the tesco trick and bought my new G300 last week - delighted with the speed compared to my "old" Wildfire!
    I unlocked the phone using the ebay account specified but didn't do any of the other steps. Phone unlocked but now I can't get d'internet - I'm presuming coz it's still locked to the Vodafone 3G settings? and I can't figure out how to reset it to the Meteor ones.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement