Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal cycle route outside the Barge pub full of glass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sure next thing is they'll put deck chairs and tables out on Canal road, it's only a few times a year it happens when it's sunny, i'm sure 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles or the Gardai wouldn't mind, 'tis only a bit of craic like... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,277 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Can be a bit of a pain in the ass trying to go through the lock on a boat too. People hi king it's great craic to 'help out'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Interesting idea, I wonder if 50c would be enough to motivate celtic tiger cubs to clean up after themselves.

There's loads of people who'd pick those cans up, homeless, down and outs, people looking for a few bob etc. It's the norm in Germany and Scandanavia that after a few bottles you leave them on the ground beside the bin, they'll always be picked up by someone.
    buffalo wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thought this morning - at least for glass bottles - as I punctured for the second time along the canal.

If you introduce a deposit for glass only then all brewerys will switch to plastic bottles or cans, still leaves loads of rubbish. A deposit system only works if it's introduced on all drinks, alcoholic or non alcoholic, in all types of containers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Red Kev wrote: »
    If you introduce a deposit for glass only then all brewerys will switch to plastic bottles or cans,

How does that work, who pays out on the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's some stretch of the imagination right there! :confused:

There's a grand stretch these days, that's part of the problem :pac:

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How does that work, who pays out on the deposit?

The way it works in other countries is that any shop that sells that type of bottle/can/container is legally obliged to take one back and refund the deposit.

In other words I can buy a bottle of soft drink in Dingle, pay the deposit there, drive to Donegal and a shop in Donegal selling the same will have to take the empty back and refund me the money.

There'll be the usual wailing from the drinks industry, IBEC etc. but the system operates in dozens of countries worldwide, we had it until the 1970's and it is possible to introduce it here. We introduced the plastic bag tax which the vast majority of people support and even a smoking ban which would be regarded as impossible 20 years ago, so yes it can be done.

But to do that we need a government/minister with balls and they are few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's how I thought it works (I lived in California where they had the deposit system and we gave our stuff to the kids of colleagues) but it's the connection to the drinks industry changing to whatever material has no deposit. Ultimately do the stores basically sell the bottles back to the manufacturer from where they came from? In California the fee is paid by the distributor of whatever the drink is, and the state in turn pays out the deposit. So if that model was implemented I imagine that's why manufacturers would change their packaging materials.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In other words I can buy a bottle of soft drink in Dingle, pay the deposit there, drive to Donegal and a shop in Donegal selling the same will have to take the empty back and refund me the money.

It used to be here too in the dim and distant past on certain bottles. We used to collect them as kids and used the proceeds to buy sweets. Good incentive to return of recyclable waste products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

There's loads of people who'd pick those cans up, homeless, down and outs, people looking for a few bob etc. It's the norm in Germany and Scandanavia that after a few bottles you leave them on the ground beside the bin, they'll always be picked up by someone.

Interesting, though maybe a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. In fairness, we don't have a widespread problem with bottles and cans. I'm not sure we need to change the law for the whole country to get one pub and one Centra to clean up their act.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Someone needs to clear up the mess left after sunny friday boozing!

22022011082.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Interesting, though maybe a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. In fairness, we don't have a widespread problem with bottles and cans. I'm not sure we need to change the law for the whole country to get one pub and one Centra to clean up their act.

Have you never seen any broken glass anywhere else apart from the Barge pub? Never seen cans leftover anywhere else from an afternoon in the sun?

This is merely a focal point for it, but much like the plastic bag levy, it would reduce a tremendous amount of waste and people would get used to it pretty quickly.

I used to collect cans as a kid, and bring sacks of them to a plant in Ballymount. They'd weigh them, pay you by weight, then they'd be recycled. Plenty of incentive in the above scheme for others to do likewise.

Ultimately do the stores basically sell the bottles back to the manufacturer from where they came from?

Yes, they end out back at the manufacturer. Bottles are reusable, are washed and sent back out again.

This is how they do it in Germany, transported to shops in these crates, then crates are filled with empties and go back to Coca Cola.

DE_PIM_255903001002_01?wid=230&hei=230&fmt=jpeg&qlt=80,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,6,0&iccEmbed=0&printRes=72

It's an issue all round the country, not just outside one shop in Dublin, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. Plastic bottles and cans fecked in every ditch and every corner.

There's a park near me with 8 soccer and GAA pitches. They all arrive in cars, play their game and still manage to leave dozens (no exaggeration) of bottles there every evening. Adults and kids alike.

Sorry, but it drives me bloody nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pannti in Finland works really well, you have pensioners and low income people roaming the city at the weekend and collecting cans and bottles. People will hand them out to them from beer gardens as they pass. They make a chunk more than minimum wage and the country has a 95% recycling rate. Retailers self regulate it and there's no cost to the state.

We could easily implement it as the machines already exist from several vendors, plug and play once we revise the barcodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

It's an issue all round the country, not just outside one shop in Dublin, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. Plastic bottles and cans fecked in every ditch and every corner.

There's a park near me with 8 soccer and GAA pitches. They all arrive in cars, play their game and still manage to leave dozens (no exaggeration) of bottles there every evening. Adults and kids alike.

Sorry, but it drives me bloody nuts.

Honestly, I don't see that much of it. I'm at one or other GAA pitch in Dublin most weekends, and I've never seen any significant litter problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is anyone else noticing a regular sprinkling of broken glass on the canal cycle track, on the first 'straight' section heading from Leeson St bridge up towards Ranelagh? The bit just at the end of this video: https://streamable.com/k8kc9

It's happening there just a bit too often to be coincidence. Is there a bit of sabotage going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Is anyone else noticing a regular sprinkling of broken glass on the canal cycle track, on the first 'straight' section heading from Leeson St bridge up towards Ranelagh? The bit just at the end of this video: https://streamable.com/k8kc9

It's happening there just a bit too often to be coincidence. Is there a bit of sabotage going on?

Yep I had noticed that recently, between the lock & the dogleg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sabotage is a bit over the top, Scumbags up to no good would be what I suspect.

Alot of people cycle, run and walk there, so glass not good for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DLRCC have started a scheduled sweeping of cycle lanes. Get onto your DCC councillor to do the same there.

Sabotage is a bit over the top, Scumbags up to no good would be what I suspect.
    That was my first thought - but over a couple of months, there is frequently glass around the same location. It gets cleared away, and then reappears a few days later.

It was clear today. Let's see how long it lasts.

That was my first thought - but over a couple of months, there is frequently glass around the same location. It gets cleared away, and then reappears a few days later.

First assumption would just be people drinking at the lock closest to leeson st, however if it was someone there with a vendetta against cyclist I wouldn't be altogether surprised. Ever been a pedestrian walking east bound through that gap at leeson St bridge when the green light has just gone? It's like walking against the tide in the first 50m of the tour de france.

• Advertisement

First assumption would just be people drinking at the lock closest to leeson st, however if it was someone there with a vendetta against cyclist I wouldn't be altogether surprised. Ever been a pedestrian walking east bound through that gap at leeson St bridge when the green light has just gone? It's like walking against the tide in the first 50m of the tour de france.
    Your first assumption would be right at Charlemont or Portobello in summer , but not at Leeson in winter. The nearest pub is probably the Leeson Lounge, a good walk away. You really drinking round there at this time of year, if at all.

That junction is certainly the weakest link on the Grand Canal track. I was stunned that DCC gave permission for the Adelaide dental clinic to open a new pedestrian exit, right at the narrowest pinch point. Regulars seem to reached informal agreement that cyclists get a single line, tight to the hedge while pedestrians swing wide. Outrageous that anyone would consider the design fail to be an acceptable justification for sabotage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Your first assumption would be right at Charlemont or Portobello in summer , but not at Leeson in winter. The nearest pub is probably the Leeson Lounge, a good walk away. You really drinking round there at this time of year, if at all.

That junction is certainly the weakest link on the Grand Canal track. I was stunned that DCC gave permission for the Adelaide dental clinic to open a new pedestrian exit, right at the narrowest pinch point. Regulars seem to reached informal agreement that cyclists get a single line, tight to the hedge while pedestrians swing wide. Outrageous that anyone would consider the design fail to be an acceptable justification for sabotage.

It is a silly design and probably by someone with no common sense

It's not too much to ask on a profitable night.

No, they are taking ownership and liability for the issue if they do this.
    So, while it would be nice, I can see why a business would not want to touch this

Not being surpised by something doesn't mean I condone it?? I have never walked there I only cycle. Also my point about drinking around there wasn't about people paying 5.50 a pint and bringing it outside, thinking more teens or homeless people drinking.

Not being surpised by something doesn't mean I condone it?? I have never walked there I only cycle. Also my point about drinking around there wasn't about people paying 5.50 a pint and bringing it outside, thinking more teens or homeless people drinking.
    There is no outside drinking at that location on any of the many occasions I've passed through, summer or winter.

There is no outside drinking at that location on any of the many occasions I've passed through, summer or winter.

Well that's that sorted so. Definitely has to be an anti-cycling conspiracy, maybe Shell or BP?

Well that's that sorted so. Definitely has to be an anti-cycling conspiracy, maybe Shell or BP?
    Why the sarky attitude? It's just not a spot for outdoor drinking. And if it was, what's the chances of the drinkers smashing their bottles at the exact same spot regularly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No, they are taking ownership and liability for the issue if they do this.
    So, while it would be nice, I can see why a business would not want to touch this

At a guess, if people are drinking in a public place and the drink has been sold by the Barge, the authorities could take a dim view and they could easily lose their license if there were sufficient complaints. Their license only allows them to sell drink for consumption on their premises, and if they're profiting from sales for illegal consumption off their premises, they're in breach of their license. If they'd a bit of sense, they'd clean up after their punters before this becomes too much of an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

smacl wrote: »
    At a guess, if people are drinking in a public place and the drink has been sold by the Barge, the authorities could take a dim view and they could easily lose their license if there were sufficient complaints. Their license only allows them to sell drink for consumption on their premises, and if they're profiting from sales for illegal consumption off their premises, they're in breach of their license. If they'd a bit of sense, they'd clean up after their punters before this becomes too much of an issue.

Most people who drink outside the barge in recent times are bringing cans and bottles from elsewhere. When there was giving out a few years ago, the Barge cracked down and stopped people carrying pint glasses etc. away from the premises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I walk that route every weekday. On the way home in the evening, I would see people drinking on the canal between the Leeson Street bridge and the bridge just before the Barge at least twice a week, regardless if it's winter or summer

Advertisement