Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canal cycle route outside the Barge pub full of glass

Options
  • 27-05-2012 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Great to see everyone out drinking by the canal outside the Barge this weekend
    224-1024x764.jpg

but not so great that the new cycle track was full of glass this morning.

The owners of The Barge might consider allocating a small part of the profit they surely made to paying their staff to sweep up the glass at the end of the night.

Pub licences are subject to renewal and may be opposed in the district court by anyone. I doubt it will come to this. I have contacted the owner and I expect that this is the the last time that this will happen.

If you had a puncture this morning, contact the owner at hickeygroupinfo@gmail.com

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Apparently they had signs up saying ''no glasses/bottles'' to be taken past this point during the week.

Isn't it technically illegal for their punters to be drinking outside of the beer garden. It's always been done there, but it's drinking in a public place. A public order offence isn't it? Saw the guards stopping people in the phoenix park during the week and taking drink off some people for it. :eek:

I assume the barge aren't actually licensed for that area? They'd probably say it's a DCC issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

I assume the barge aren't actually licensed for that area? They'd probably say it's a DCC issue?
    I don't mind them drinking outside whether licensed or not - all they have to do is sweep up the glass afterwards. It's not too much to ask on a profitable night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The OP makes a reasonable point. The Barge gets to extend its effective footprint significantly on sunny days so they should take some responsibility for cleaning up. I would imagine there's a bit of drinking still going on after they close so they can't be held completely responsible but they should do their best to protect the golden goose. It's a nice spot to have a drink in the sun and it would be a shame if it were to become a problem.

I rode in through Fairview Park this morning. Park staff were out collecting rubbish but they shouldn't have to on anything like the scale they were faced with. It was an absolute tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deadlyspot.com

At the very least they should be out there babysitting this space. The amount of money these guys would have made. Simply speculate that it's well over and above what they make inside the 4 walls of the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

glass in a cycle lane, imagine that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

How did the cycle path beside the Barge work out in last night's rush hour (pub rush hour, I mean, not traffic rush hour);

http://www.dailyedge.ie/the-barge-jammers-2769188-May2016/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On the one hand I agree the barge should be doing something, however that then means he a*seholes leaving it behind in the first place get off with avoiding a bit of decency. I'd contact litter warden and tell them to go out when it's sunny and issue then with fines.

No problem with them drinking, but theres no excuse for not cleaning up. Not everyone will have bought drink from there, often used to see people carrying bags of cans/bottles bought elsewhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The barge got a warnign years ago from DCC and the Gardai, and for awhille used to have bouncers on sunny days, stopping anyone with pints going to far out.

i presume that no longer happens but there are quite a few, if not the majority who just bring cans up as well.

I wouldn't fancy sending a litter warden in to that crowd with a fair dose of alcohol, the gardai making their presence known should be enough.

It would be nice if the Barge put up a few bins as a "thanks for the custom" or just went with plastic (recyclable) glasses once a certain crowd was reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I passed on the bike last night leaving work, some dose trying to get through the crowd, footpath completely taken over, so you had both pedestrians and drinkers in the cycle lane, accident waking to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Andalucia wrote: »
    I passed on the bike last night leaving work, some dose trying to get through the crowd, footpath completely taken over, so you had both pedestrians and drinkers in the cycle lane, accident waking to happen

Sorry.... I was one of the idiots there last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We are a horrible nation for litter.

Really is the most laziest thing ever. Animals.

Andalucia wrote: »
    so you had both pedestrians and drinkers in the cycle lane, accident waking to happen
    Pedestrians crossing the cycle lane, or standing on the cycle lane?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CramCycle wrote: »
    The barge got a warnign years ago from DCC and the Gardai, and for awhille used to have bouncers on sunny days, stopping anyone with pints going to far out.

i presume that no longer happens but there are quite a few, if not the majority who just bring cans up as well.

I wouldn't fancy sending a litter warden in to that crowd with a fair dose of alcohol, the gardai making their presence known should be enough.

It would be nice if the Barge put up a few bins as a "thanks for the custom" or just went with plastic (recyclable) glasses once a certain crowd was reached.

Haven't drank there for years (decades even, scary flashbacks to Toni and her erotic dances in the Lower Deck later on. Feck. Not good. Really, not good!). Nice to have a pint outdoors all the same. I agree entirely with the OP it should be the responsibility of the owners to do the inevitable clean up afterwards, and waving the renewing of their license over heads to encourage them seems reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bit of a mess alright. People can be assholes.

https://twitter.com/aine_beamish/status/731240575580684288?s=09

The place emptied very quickly and to be fair the staff got out cleaning as soon as the crowd died down. I put my empties in the bin anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    ... scary flashbacks to Toni and her erotic dances....
    Jesus, you're going back a bit now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Despicable behaviour from all of the parties drinking.

357.jpg

Pic shows countless amount of cans, shop bags. The pub itself can hardly be held accountable because people are prats. Responsibility lays with the individual. By all means provide bins, but all the bins in the world don't stop some people from chucking their rubbish whereever

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Pic shows countless amount of cans, shop bags. .....
    The thread/pic is 4 years old! ;)

Im all confused now. Thread is 4 years old, but dug up tonight and the tweet is from last night, though elsewhere commented a picture was old too.

Maybe I got too much sun today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Im all confused now. Thread is 4 years old, but dug up tonight and the tweet is from last night, though elsewhere commented a picture was old too.

Maybe I got too much sun today

'Twas a seriously long session :)

Pic shows countless amount of cans, shop bags. The pub itself can hardly be held accountable because people are prats. Responsibility lays with the individual. By all means provide bins, but all the bins in the world don't stop some people from chucking their rubbish whereever
    I disagree about the responsibility. The pub is effectively hosting an outdoor event and making lots of money out of it. Just like any outdoor event, they have a responsibility for the safety of those involved, and for cleaning up afterwards.

My question was actually about the cycle lane - and whether it was generally usuable during the busy time for the pub?

I disagree about the responsibility. The pub is effectively hosting an outdoor event and making lots of money out of it. Just like any outdoor event, they have a responsibility for the safety of those involved, and for cleaning up afterwards.

My question was actually about the cycle lane - and whether it was generally usuable during the busy time for the pub?

As far as I could see it was the centra across the way that made the money. The pub itself wasn't doing a a bomb in sales and to be fair the staff were out with sacks cleaning up the rubbish. The cycle lane unfortunately was pretty much impassable barring the few that absolutely barged there way through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Bit of a mess alright. People can be assholes.

https://twitter.com/aine_beamish/status/731240575580684288?s=09

50 cent deposit on all cans, glass and plastic bottles no matter what their content or where they are purchased and that would clean itself up. Same goes for every other drinking area of the country as well as the areas around any school.

As far as I could see it was the centra across the way that made the money. The pub itself wasn't doing a a bomb in sales and to be fair the staff were out with sacks cleaning up the rubbish.
    Great, well let's hook Centra in too, and put them on on the hook for the clean up costs too. It really is absolutely anti-social for a local business like this to make money from selling, and leave the taxpayer to foot the bill for the clean-up.
    The cycle lane unfortunately was pretty much impassable barring the few that absolutely barged there way through
    This was actually why I asked the question, and I'm fairly outraged by the answer. This is the only dedicated cycle track on the southside, and we seem to be know saying that it's going to be out of action any Thursday or Friday for the summer season if we have good weather.

I don't use that track myself regularly, but if it was on my commute, I'd be fairly annoyed over it being out of action.
    Red Kev wrote: »
    50 cent deposit on all cans, glass and plastic bottles no matter what their content or where they are purchased and that would clean itself up. Same goes for every other drinking area of the country as well as the areas around any school.
    Interesting idea, I wonder if 50c would be enough to motivate celtic tiger cubs to clean up after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sunny days to places like this are the equivalent to closing roads for a cycle. The participants are happy, no one else is. But like road closures they are a rarity so llive and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Road closures for any type of race tend not to result in the area being destroyed with filth and litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Red Kev wrote: »

I was thinking the same thought this morning - at least for glass bottles - as I punctured for the second time along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ted1 wrote: »
    Sunny days to places like this are the equivalent to closing roads for a cycle. The participants are happy, no one else is. But like road closures they are a rarity so llive and let live.

That's some stretch of the imagination right there! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I walked past last night and in fairness to the staff, they were telling punters to get off the cycle path, particularly when the lights changed and a train of bikes came through.

Drinking outside the barge is a rare occurrence and a bit of a novelty. People who work nearby look forward to it every year. It's a sign that summer has arrived and it's a good bit of fun.

I get that it inconveniences cyclists, but i'd be willing to let it slide for the few evenings in the year that it gets busy.

Broken glass should be cleaned up immediately. But other than that, as long as the punters aren't falling out in front of passing cyclists, I see no harm. It's a bit of fun. Leave them at it. :)

Advertisement