Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst city in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Maybe you all could look through a few pages before calling my beloved home a kip.

Unless of course you are referring to a certain group of people that may or may not have wheels on their houses.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056041926

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh come on! This stems from you saying Ennis is a dangerous place in an overall sense. We both know Ennis is not a dangerous place overall.

Did I say that?
    grindle wrote: »
    At night, very. The rest of the time it's grand. Sub-Tipp.

Looks like I said it's grand, apart from at night, when all the feral gowls come out.
    Dudess wrote: »
    People in Cork say stuff like "Oh Douglas has gotten really rough" because of a few skangers hanging around Spar. A few groups do not sum up an area in its entirety. If a list of the hardest places in Ireland was compiled, Ennis would not be there! I'm not disputing Ennis could have a share of little sh1tbags who intimidate people, especially those they perceive as "weird" but to say that makes Ennis a dangerous, scary place is disingenuous and does a disservice to those who actually have to live in areas with a lot of intimidation and crime.

Well then, saying anywhere in Ireland is dangerous, even the worst parts of Dublin or Limerick, is disingenuous, if you want to compare them to Ciudad Juarez in Mexico, or hey, Syria!

Yippee, the thread has been solved, Ireland CAN'T have a worst city, or any bad area at all, because other areas of the world "beat" them.

Eh, no.

Any intimidation or danger whatsoever, or lack of facilities, are the criteria.
    I don't think Ennis'd be on any list of hardest places either, but being intimidated (not feeling, but being) there counts against it.
    How can anybody say it shouldn't?
    Anyway, Shannon's WAAAAAAAAAAY shiittier than Ennis, and outside of Clare to the rest of Munster, Tralee, Tipp Town and Youghal are full to the brim with ignorant, violent scobes.
    Outside of Munster, Carlow, Mullingar and Portlaoise are diiiiiiiiives.

Anybody can argue against me saying that, but the fact that all I'd have to do is walk down the main streets of any of those towns for a couple of hours to be called a queer (I'm straight, but, lyk, pyoor weak-lookin' lyk, n I tawk all posh. Y em I tawkin posh 4?) means it's a shiit-hole (this has happened in a few of those mentioned), unless it presents something worth the abuse (which those, and most towns, don't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jorcky

Limerick is like a large halting site

Hey! I grew up in Limerick, and sure it's not the most metropolitan of cities, but it's got some seriously beautiful aspects. King John's Castle? Swans on the Shannon? And I personally never feel unsafe there. Plus, nobody barks at you like they do in Caark.

Jorcky wrote: »
    Plus, nobody barks at you like they do in Caark.

"C'mere, a-millAAAH?"

"C'mere'n'I'll tell you a QUEStion!"

"WAAAAH!"

You've never, ever heard those in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

I love it when people "defend" their city and get all up tight about it! every City has more or less the same amenities/ attractions, if anything id say Dublin's stands out as being a more diverse city, i cant stand Dublin though, personal choice....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jorcky

"C'mere, a-millAAAH?"

"C'mere'n'I'll tell you a QUEStion!"

"WAAAAH!"

You've never, ever heard those in the city?

No. From travellers, yes I've heard that, but not in Limerick.

But having said that, I live in Drogheda, study in Dublin, and was born in Limerick, so maybe I'm just used to knackery accents.

The barking is so much worse IMO.

Weird.
    Jorcky wrote: »
    The barking is so much worse IMO.

It's pretty bad, but is it a bark? More of a yelp, I thought.

A long, undulating yelp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

all I'd have to do is walk down the main streets of any of those towns for a couple of hours to be called a queer

you'd probably be called a wierdo and get odd looks for walking up and down the damn street for hours on end. :confused:

you'd probably be called a wierdo and get odd looks for walking up and down the damn street for hours on end. :confused:

OhHolyFuck! So THAT was my problem!?
    Thanks maaaaaaaaaan. Now scumbags don't exist anymore!

But wait, do they exist when I'm shopping, or doing a pub-crawl?
    I'm not sure about the rules and roles of scobification. Which actions of mine will maximise the knackerage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Worst city in Ireland is Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Dublin is a kip.
    Limerick is a kip.
    Haven't been to Cork recently so I cannot judge.
    Galway is a grand spot.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Worst city in Ireland is Belfast.
    Belfast City centre is probably the nicest in Ireland. Outside of that is a mixed bag of good and **** areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Rathcoole up north.

Finglas down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,234 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Did anyone suggest Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭SeanW

Des Bishop explained it years ago, when he was doing a comedy retelling of his "Joy in the Hood" work. He went to disadvantaged areas of all the main cities, Ballymun in Dublin, Knocknaheeny in Cork, Tuam in (County) Galway, and ... O'Malley Park, Southill, Limerick, where, even at the height of the Celtic Tiger property bubble, you could buy a house for €30,000.

He put it this way:
    Des Bishop wrote:
    You get out of Ballymun, and you in Santry. You get out of Knocknaheeny, and you in Sundays Well. But when you leave Southill, you're still in Limerick.

From what I understand, it was bad enough in the old days when the scumbags were confined to Moyross and Southill, but since those regeneration projects the scumbags were kicked out of those areas, and have been rehoused with rent allowance all over the city. Like spreading a cancer. :mad: ****ed up the whole place altogether.

Well at least there's the N18 section of the Southern Bypass, the Shannon toll there is one of the few I do not recommend dodging ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Limerick and Waterford are number 1 & 2 on this poll by some distance.

Limerick City is a special case. It's summed up by it's bus station and surrounding environ - like something out of Baghdad. I am particularly glad i moved to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Galway seems to be really popular.

They do have a mega Supermacs I suppose.

(Is it bad that I've never been to Cork? I'm sure its very nice I've just never had a reason to go..)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

I'm a Leixliplian

I never knew till this morning that was the term for a citizen of your North Kildare town.
    You learn something every day.
    As it happens, we have family in Lucan and call them the Lucanites. I'm not sure what we should call people from Knocklyon though.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

If I was on the Irish tourist board I'd be pushing the lush green countryside and the coastline rather than the country's towns and cites. That and the friendliness of the people. That's my opinion as a foreigner...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

cournioni wrote: »
    Belfast City centre is probably the nicest in Ireland. Outside of that is a mixed bag of good and **** areas though.

would agree with that, belfast city centre blows dublin city centre away in terms of aesthetics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

rossie1977 wrote: »
    would agree with that, belfast city centre blows dublin city centre away in terms of aesthetics

Not sure that's the wisest expression to use... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

I went to college in Limerick and really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't be into clubbing really and there was always plenty to do on a night out. Very friendly people in the more 'alternative' bars. Plenty of buzz from all the students. Some great gigs in Dolans.

Good food was not hard to find, although it was mainly Chinese.

There are a few art galleries there. The LCGA by the park is lovely for a stroll around. The other one is completely off the wall to the extent where we wondered for a good while whether or not a fire extinguisher was art.

The park too is great when it's sunny. You can watch all the Muslims play football and chill out with a guitar or play frisbee.

Yeah, you have to be careful around some parts but I never got into any trouble or anything. I've seen more fights on Grand Parade in Cork than in Limerick.

All in all, I cannot say that Limerick is the worst city. I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Was gonna say sligo til I read this http://www.sligotown.net/issligoatownoracity.shtml

...ah sure, I'll still go with Sligo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Was gonna say sligo til I read this http://www.sligotown.net/issligoatownoracity.shtml

...ah sure, I'll still go with Sligo!

Like Kilkenny its a Borough..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

FishBowel wrote: »
    Waterford - sh-t factory town (er city) where you're a nobody unless someone's spreading rumours about you!

OMG the usual ignorant quote about my home City - the oldest in Ireland - ahead of even Dublin. Kilkenny is not a City.It doesn't even have a City Council- it has a borough Council.And there are bigger hosing estates in the other five that are the size of Kilkenny.

The generalistations on here are amazing. I've been to Dublin, Cork,Limerick and Galway.

* Limerick's depressing in parts, but no different to the other four.

* Dublin's sheer size introduces its own problems.

* Galway's beautiful.

* Cork is a great spot.

* Waterford is fantastic. A great City with an even greater, welcoming populace.

The negative comments on here are just representative of the doomsday knockers in our midst. Bunch of morons the lot of them.

The OP can't even get the number of cities right.

These polls never achieve anything;
    Galway always comes out the best, Dublin generally around the worst. I've never been to Limerick and don't know enough about Cork to vote for it, but between Galway and Dublin, the former will always win for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

7upfree wrote: »

* Waterford is fantastic. A great City with an even greater, welcoming populace.
    The only 'fantastic' thing about Waterford are the roads to Cork/Dublin where the brighter people can go to university and never return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

FishBowel wrote: »
    The only 'fantastic' thing about Waterford are the roads to Cork/Dublin where the brighter people can go to university and never return!

Waterford is a brilliant city! are you a "brighter" person? if you are and you make a comment such as that...one of these "brighter people"... then thank God the roads out of Waterford do serve a reason!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Waterford City has the biggest brain drain in Ireland. It's a place for factory workers with a strong union mentality. Eveyone else is either in the public sector or on the dole. The best and brightest are gone by 18!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I reckon the people who put down Waterford havent spent more than a day there.

Advertisement