Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst city in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

IrishAm wrote: »
    Cork. The accent is horrendous.
    I was thinking more in terms of the architecture, the businesses there, the things to do, the atmosphere and so forth. I wouldn't have a breeze what anyone was saying to me in Stockholm, but I'd still say the city itself was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Ok then. Cork, the accent, the city(lol) itself and the people are horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Lived in Cork and Limerick and I love Limerick and despise Cork. Dublin is great as is Galway. Waterford is the biggest hole ever dug into the face of our fair country. Kilkenny is a great looking city and a right tourist trap but there is absolutely nothing to do there other than drink like a fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

IrishAm wrote: »
    Ok then. Cork, the accent, the city(lol) itself and the people are horrendous.
    Usually the kind of brain-dead evaluation given by people who haven't been there. Objectively it looks grand, nothing horrendous whatsoever about it. Much looks similar to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Kilkenny is a great looking city and a right tourist trap but there is absolutely nothing to do there other than drink like a fish.

laugh at cats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Its still a city :o. Kilkenny, Probably the smallest city in the world.

I think the City of London is smaller. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

bridget84 wrote: »
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I am not going to argue with you because whether or not it is a dump is subjective, and atleast you have visited before passing judgement.

What I will say is the media as skewed a lot of peoples views of limerck, especially those who have never been there, they imagine it to be as it is portrayed in the media and it is no where near as bad as they make it out to be. A friend of mine from college was coming to stay at my place for my 21st, she had to lie and say she was going to tipp otherwise her parents woukd have kicked up a fuss, I don't live in the city, actually I live 30 minutes AWAY from the city.

I'd feel a lot safer on a night out in Limerick than Tipp town tbh. Tipp town is lethal. A lot of rough and dodgy types around considering how small it is. There has been many a violent incident there over the past 5 years, a lot for a small town.

I know, I laughed when she told me, the irony of it, would rather go out in Chechnya than tipp town tbh, it is a dive and can be very dangerous.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Tourists from abroad come here for towns villages and countryside not cities .We don't have any real cities nor should we want them .Cities are cold places socially compared with towns .They are too big and never seem homely .There might be some pockets that are exceptions though .People in Cities prefer to think of their area as a 'village' a mark of envy sometimes .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

You left out Waterford too

nothing new there, we are always being forgotten about :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Dublins a kip, trash all over the streets, manky old buildings and drunks everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I think the City of London is smaller. ;)

For a few days next week the place is great craic but after that it just turns back into the best city to go on the lash in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

For a few days next week the place is great craic but after that it just turns back into the best city to go on the lash in Ireland.
    I take it you've never been on the lash in Ballymote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Before going to college in Limerick, I was quite wary of the image portrayed in the media, but living there it couldnt be further from the truth (well in castletroy anyway!) In 3 years never have I once seen a fight in the city on a night out, feel much safer there than in Dublin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Dudess wrote: »
    KKkitty wrote: »
    Kilkenny City has many streets in its city centre and has the infamous Cats Laugh festival every year. It may not match up in size compared to other cities in Ireland but it's a city nonetheless. If you don't like Kilkenny City don't come to it simple as.

/Rant
    They didn't say they didn't like it.
    I know. Just a slight overreaction on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Kilkenny is a great looking city and a right tourist trap but there is absolutely nothing to do there other than drink like a fish.

laugh at cats?
    Kilkenny has way too many drinking establishments. Every second or third door is a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A lot of people voting Limerick have probably never even been there

Too busy reading scare stories from Paul Williams

You'd swear limerick was at the other side of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

The nice bits of Limerick are as nice as the best of any other city. The worst bits do seem worse though.

Cork is a nice enough city too, but Galway is overrated imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I always thought Kilkenny was a city ? :confused:

Its a borough.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Boards banter is terrible. And Limerick, even though I'm from there, it's a bad city.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'd have to vote for Dublin, simply for the fact there are more things to do here than in the others (yes, I have been to all of them and not just passed through). And as much as I like Kilkenny, it is not a city.

Although it is a nice place. I was there a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

CWF wrote: »
    I fück lambs. And Limerick, even though I'm from there, it's a baaaaaad city.

What?

qwerty93 wrote: »
    Before going to college in Limerick, I was quite wary of the image portrayed in the media, but living there it couldnt be further from the truth (well in castletroy anyway!) In 3 years never have I once seen a fight in the city on a night out, feel much safer there than in Dublin anyway

Ditto, its a very safe city and I'd more than feel comfortable in the city centre late at night. Have to admit I don't pay much attention to the Dublin media outlets to begin with so wasn't so up on its supposed reputation but from second hand sources some people really buy into it, its baffling and a little funny. As large towns or cities go I'd rank Limerick as having one of the safest nightlives.

In comparison Dublin I found very dangerous, even during the day there was a lot of rough sorts around. And Ennis, jesus ennis. That place is brutal at night. Saw some kid being thrown off a bridge once.
    Also Galway city centre isn't that pretty either and its a very dangerous place during its college rag weeks especially. It surprises me some times when everyone has a love affair with the place, the county is nicer than the city imo. Nicest cities in Ireland are Cork and Limerick.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Limerick will win that poll a 100 times out of 100, we can thank the media for that.

Nope, we can thank gullible, impressionable idiots for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was marooned in Limerick "city" for four years - twelve previous in a tenement called Newcastle West. Both would make excellent landfill sites, if the economy picks up - a golf course. The natives can be relocated to Afghanistan. Better weather and they're free to shoot up / at each other in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Ive been to all these cities and while they all have their negative points (as does every city in the world), I thoroughly enjoyed what each had to offer, especially in terms of historical value, cultural institutions and the friendliness of the people. I think this poll is an exercise in negativity and general **** stirring :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭irishbucka

Cork.

Such a horrible accent

what ya talikn about buoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭irishbucka

you forgot about stab city too. oops sorry its in the poll. who ever sang the song "LIMERICK YOUR A LADY" got it so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Ditto, its a very safe city and I'd more than feel comfortable in the city centre late at night. Have to admit I don't pay much attention to the Dublin media outlets to begin with so wasn't so up on its supposed reputation but from second hand sources some people really buy into it, its baffling and a little funny. As large towns or cities go I'd rank Limerick as having one of the safest nightlives.
    Lived in Limerick for years, and Shannon previously, so while in Shannon it was where I went to go out.
    Mugged twice, got called a "faggit", "freak" and "quare" every single day (literally) of my youth, chased down the road by scobes who wanted to tell me a question, had a half-full bottle of vodka thrown across the road at me, rocks thrown at me, witnessed endless numbers of fights outside Fast Eddies or Chicken Hut, and a full-scale traveller-feud riot in Abrakebabra one night, tables flying out the windows'n'all.
    The city should be judged by the city, and not the suburbs (like Castletroy, the student ghetto I alluded to earlier).
    That's like judging Cork by wandering around Rochestown (posh).
    It could be a wonderful place, but the scobes are just SO fücking scobetacular in their duties, that it'd take a mini-holocaust of genetic cleansing to fix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Have lived in Limerick, Galway, Dublin. Am from limreick, I still think it's the worst of the three. This is because, IMO, going out costs a fortune or it used to anyway, the only thing to do is to go to nightclubs. It's surprisingly trendy - similar to Cork in that regard. And most of all, compared to Dublin and def. Galway, you can't really go out and just have the craic with randomers, there is a real clicky thing which I don't like now when I go back. I only really seen it when I returned after living in other places. That is the worst of all. Nice people there, mind you, just hard to get to know them though.

Just my honest opinion. Dublin is grand never any hassle here Galway is grand, great craic for a while, but you can't really get your ****e together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Nope, we can thank gullible, impressionable idiots for that.
    To be fair, I've spent time in scores of cities in dozens of countries and Limerick was by far the most depressing. Some parts of Cusco are bleak, Prague was grotty in the 90s as was Mainz. La Plata was a bit sterile, but Limerick was still definitely the most depressing.

Advertisement