Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Dunno if i'd have the balls to do the online dating thing. I hate pics of myself so I'd fall at the first hurdle. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MarkyTheLips

Varied wrote: »
    Dunno if i'd have the balls to do the online dating thing. I hate pics of myself so I'd fall at the first hurdle. :pac:

Luckily it's someone else who has to like them :p that's where you need an objective friend to pick some out with you I guess!

ellegee wrote: »
    Excellent question - I think not :( If they were really interested they'd make the effort.

Curse my rhetoric!! :pac:... Although I have chanced it once or twice to good results, turned out they were still filling bits in (so they said lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

I think it's true you need a picture, so many people do that if you don't I think it's very hard to get a response. But if you don't like pics of yourself try - er, counterintuitively - using several. That way you don't have all your eggs in one pictorial basket as it were. And pictures are about more than just looks, they're about you having a good night out, or going on nice holidays, or playing sports, or all the other things that are the reasons you have those pictures in the first place, so they give a broader impression of you than just what you look like.

ellegee wrote: »
    I think it's true you need a picture, so many people do that if you don't I think it's very hard to get a response. But if you don't like pics of yourself try - er, counterintuitively - using several. That way you don't have all your eggs in one pictorial basket as it were. And pictures are about more than just looks, they're about you having a good night out, or going on nice holidays, or playing sports, or all the other things that are the reasons you have those pictures in the first place, so they give a broader impression of you than just what you look like.

Again you're expressing my answer better than I :pac:

@Varied

I'd avoid any pics of you wih ladies hanging out of you and blot out any mates faces. Sure for their privacy, but they're competition as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

GrumPy wrote: »
    Balls in her court though
    There's meant to be some "rules" that people "must follow" in the dating "game" that the man must chase.

Or some such bullsh|t. If you like her, send her a text, but if she continues playing the mind games, maybe view it as a bullet dodged?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

tatumkelly wrote: »
    Hmmm so that guy I had been out with a few times, who caused me to delete my profile...

We were to go out yesterday (his suggestion after busy schedules kept us from meeting during the week)... I text him to make arrangements...no reply... this comes after him mentioning how much he was enjoying spending time with me, and his regular flirty texts...

I clearly cannot read men at all since I totally misjudged this one :confused:

Have you still not heard anything? I really never understand how somebody can just do that. It's like leading you on until somebody better comes along. I just can't do that if im not into the person or see it going anywhere I let them know.

It's like when you go out on a date with somebody and their all flirty with you and even end up kissing you and then the next day nothing you don't hear from them or you get a rejection text. If I'm not attracted to the person I don't flirt or kiss them I just be polite and chatty and say nice meeting you etc at the end. I'm not one for mind games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Do it!! I HATE the way i look but i forced myself to do it! Its not that bad, i promise! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hmmm so that guy I had been out with a few times, who caused me to delete my profile...

I made you do no such thing!!!

*tumbleweed*

Anyhow... Date 5 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    Have you still not heard anything? I really never understand how somebody can just do that. It's like leading you on until somebody better comes along. I just can't do that if im not into the person or see it going anywhere I let them know.

It's like when you go out on a date with somebody and their all flirty with you and even end up kissing you and then the next day nothing you don't hear from them or you get a rejection text. If I'm not attracted to the person I don't flirt or kiss them I just be polite and chatty and say nice meeting you etc at the end. I'm not one for mind games.

It's pretty bizarre alright. We'd chatted a lot about how neither of us like games, and both deleted profiles, I'm just not sure what changed literally overnight to make him feel the need to ignore me. Silly boys :(
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I made you do no such thing!!!

*tumbleweed*

Anyhow... Date 5 this evening.

What's on the agenda for date 5?

• Advertisement

What's on the agenda for date 5?

We're gonna go for something to eat and she wants to go and see The Avengers given that she's the only one of her mates who hasn't seen it so I said I'd take her even though I've already seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Sunday's front runner is the current winner. I met him last night & I couldn't have planned a more perfect first date. Met at 6 for a walk on a Georgian Estate, dinner in an Italian restaurant where the waiter didn't bat an eyelid at my ordering style, a walk to a suitably poorly lit pub where we had a drink and suddenly it was 11pm... Eh, where did the time go? What a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

LoTwan wrote: »
    Sunday's front runner is the current winner. I met him last night & I couldn't have planned a more perfect first date. Met at 6 for a walk on a Georgian Estate, dinner in an Italian restaurant where the waiter didn't bat an eyelid at my ordering style, a walk to a suitably poorly lit pub where we had a drink and suddenly it was 11pm... Eh, where did the time go? What a night!

Thats brilliant. Sounds like a perfect first date.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

dub5 wrote: »

It was, and he brought me steak ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

LoTwan wrote: »
    dub5 wrote: »

It was, and he brought me steak ;)

Sure what more could you want!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

Like this thread!

From my brief experience of online dating, it really helps to have a personalised message, which was mentioned in a previous post. It grabs your attention! Reasons for leaving the sites - too many dodgy pics or the same people. Every. Single. Night.
    From people I've met, it's generally been fun to date and hang out with them. No serious relationships have come from these.
    Still, my Dad met his other half online and they've been happy ever since, even living together. It can happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I literally just discovered the quizzes and tests on OKC :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I've been trying to think of a way to find a tenuous link between this video and online dating so, having been on pof and Okc on and off since last September I feel like the girl on the right :)

Warning: very very nsfw audio only! Also - turn the volume right down if wearing headphones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

YumCha wrote: »
    I've been trying to think of a way to find a tenuous link between this video and online dating so, having been on pof and Okc on and off since last September I feel like the girl on the right :)

Warning: very very nsfw audio only! Also - turn the volume right down if wearing headphones :)

She is hilarious! Girl on the left is "The Gooch", Ted's girlfriend in Scrubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Date went well tonight even though i had to leave early!

We met up and went for a few drinks. He is lovely and we talked about anything and everything! He totally understood when i had to leave early. I was in agony with stomach cramps. I explained it to him so he walked me to my bus stop and waited with me until a bus came! may or may not have had a little smooch goodbye :o

He was lovely and he doesnt really mind the fact that i am moving home soon because if something develops we can worry about it then!

I am kind of hesitant because of the fact that i am moving home but its only an hour and half away and the fact that he is in is thirties and im about to turn 21 so there is that bit of a gap.

But it was a nice date and he is going to text me to arrange another date! :)

• Advertisement

I declare date 5 a success. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

I declare date 5 a success. :)
    Good news! When do you stop counting dates I wonder? Is it when you have the exclusive conversation? I never know

Well it's definitely either feast or famine with me. I've been messaging a good few guys for the past few weeks but nome mentioned about meeting and i wasn't feeling ready to meet up with anyone. Then suddenly this week they nearly all asked to exchange numbers and meet up!! There are 5 of them. I met 3 guys 3 days in a row once before and it was very confusing. Will see how date 1 goes tomorrow night anyway. Have a date with guy 2 on Friday. I'm stalling a little on the others for now. Is that bad?

ladylost wrote: »
    Good news! When do you stop counting dates I wonder? Is it when you have the exclusive conversation? I never know

I'm not sure really. We're just really enjoying each others company at the moment. I don't really want to rush anything but it feels right and I'm half thinking of asking her to be my friendgirl on our next date.

Well it's definitely either feast or famine with me. I've been messaging a good few guys for the past few weeks but nome mentioned about meeting and i wasn't feeling ready to meet up with anyone. Then suddenly this week they nearly all asked to exchange numbers and meet up!! There are 5 of them. I met 3 guys 3 days in a row once before and it was very confusing. Will see how date 1 goes tomorrow night anyway. Have a date with guy 2 on Friday. I'm stalling a little on the others for now. Is that bad?

I don't think it's bad at all. Having a cluster of dates like that could be overkill especially if you're trying to equally give these guys a proper chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Haven't been on here for a while and reckon I wont be on it for much longer....

Met this amazing girl for the first time off POF last Saturday night, just went for a spin and chatted. Ended with a nice kiss too!

Sunday evening we met and went to a seaside town, got icecream, sat on a wall looking over the pier and chatted effortlessly......then walked back to the car hand in hand!

Met her again last night and we went for a walk in a local forest, chatted the whole time and she is so strong.....knows what she wants and is willing to give time to me even though her only sibling is in hospital and is disabled.

So refreshing to meet someone who is uninterested in playing games (she doesn't mind driving down to me, meeting me when she can instead of making me wait, being honest about what she is feeling, etc).

I have gotten carried away in the past so that wont be happening this time!
    But so far so good!!:D

I don't think it's bad at all. Having a cluster of dates like that could be overkill especially if you're trying to equally give these guys a proper chance.

Yeah I think so too That_Guy and I want to be fair. Sure I'll see how it goes. I'm really busy with work as well so finding it hard to find time but if I'm interested i need to make the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

So glad to be hearing all the success stories :D think I'll brave the waters of Pof again as I haven't been on it in about 2 months. Logged into okcupid the last couple of days but there really is nothing going on there, it's so much quieter.

Yeah I think so too That_Guy and I want to be fair. Sure I'll see how it goes. I'm really busy with work as well so finding it hard to find time but if I'm interested i need to make the time.

Well whatever happens good luck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

No one replies again, hurrah!

Also well done on the success stories peeps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement