Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

koth wrote: »
    Thanks, that clears up what you meant with the original response.

As to your comment regarding the dictionary, are you honestly saying that if someone points out a defintion of a phrase, they have a religious belief system party based on the dictionary?:confused:
    not exactly but if you feel the need to defend it then what exactly are you defending ?. would it be so terrible to admit that it is a religion ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

DuPLeX wrote: »
    not exactly but if you feel the need to defend it then what exactly are you defending ?. would it be so terrible to admit that it is a religion ?

repeatedly saying the same thing over and over without any basis does not make it true
    i really hope you're just messing

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No, but it would be wrong. and I'm exactly sure what it is you claim I'm defending. All that I've done is just discuss things that I felt you posted that were incorrect.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Oh sweet jiminy cricket! One book provides definitions for words that humanity created in the first place. Words that can be found and researched throughout history for their meanings and you want to claim that believing the dictionary is generally reliable is as valid as believing a book closed to updates for 1500 odd years claiming supernatural phenomena that doesn't seem to occur in modern day?
    Do you actually believe this crap? Are you proposing that out of some misunderstanding of the word tolerance we cast aside any search for truth and all just pretend everyone's opinion is just as valid because they have a right to hold it?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Oh sweet jiminy cricket! One book provides definitions for words that humanity created in the first place. Words that can be found and researched throughout history for their meanings and you want to claim that believing the dictionary is generally reliable is as valid as believing a book closed to updates for 1500 odd years claiming supernatural phenomena that doesn't seem to occur in modern day?
    Do you actually believe this crap? Are you proposing that out of some misunderstanding of the word tolerance we cast aside any search for truth and all just pretend everyone's opinion is just as valid because they have a right to hold it?

So you are saying that everybody's opinion is not equally valid? that your'e searching for truth ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So you are saying that everybody's opinion is not equally valid?

When that person's opinion is used to justify oppression, torture, covering up abuse etc etc etc. Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So you are saying that everybody's opinion is not equally valid?

Of course it isn't!

Is my opinion on how to build a bridge as valid as that of a structural engineer?
    Is my opinion on cancer therapy as valid as an that of an oncologist?

Opinions are only valid if they're based on sound reasoning.

koth wrote: »
    No, but it would be wrong. and I'm exactly sure what it is you claim I'm defending. All that I've done is just discuss things that I felt you posted that were incorrect.
    what exactly is incorrect ? (except presumably that Atheism is a religion)

Gbear wrote: »
    Of course it isn't!

Is my opinion on how to build a bridge as valid as that of a structural engineer?
    Is my opinion on cancer therapy as valid as an that of an oncologist?

Opinions are only valid if they're based on sound reasoning.

So is your opinion on the existence of God as valid as Pope Benny's ?
    This sounds like the kind of "I'm right and your'e wrong" thinking that brought us such delights as the Spanish inquisition in the past..
    Could it be ...? R
    A religion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yes. He has zero evidence for his existence.
    This sounds like the kind of "I'm Right and your'e wrong" thinking that brought us such delights as the Spanish inquisition in the past..
    Could it be ...?
    A religion ?

Are you being purposely obtuse? You realise the difference between the right to hold any opinion you want and the idea that all opinions are equally right? Also while killing people who hold a differing opinion of yours is an aspect of many religions, again, it alone would not make something a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

what exactly is incorrect ? (except presumably that Atheism is a religion)

Well that automatically excludes a lot of your posts in that case.

But we also have you claiming that science is a religion too because people trust the findings of scientific community. But I put that down to you not understanding the peer-review process.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

shizz wrote: »
    Theism isn't a religion where as say Catholicism is. So how can Atheism be a religion?

There are multiple theist religions because different people have different ideas about possible deities. There can only be one atheist religion, so it can be called 'Atheism'

Atheism certainly has the characteristics of a religion. As we have no proof of an existence or non-existence of a God, then Atheism, like Catholicism, is faith based. People also group themselves as this very forum shows and read scripture (Dawkins etc) about their religion.

Some Atheists also try to convince theists of their beliefs so it is also evangelical.

Yep, Atheism is indeed a religion.

This sounds like the kind of "I'm right and your'e wrong" thinking that brought us such delights as the Spanish inquisition in the past..
    Could it be ...? R
    A religion ?

Actually the thinking that brought us the Spanish Inquisition was the opinion that anyone who disagrees with Rome must die.

Can you tell me where any atheist has stated that those who believes in God must die for holding that belief?

bluewolf wrote: »
    repeatedly saying the same thing over and over without any basis does not make it true
    i really hope you're just messing
    No. not messing.are you ? Maybe
    you should stop repeating the same thing over and over ......just a thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

shizz wrote: »
    Theism isn't a religion where as say Catholicism is. So how can Atheism be a religion?

There are multiple theist religions because different people have different ideas about possible deities. There can only be one atheist religion, so it can be called 'Atheism'

Atheism certainly has the characteristics of a religion. As we have no proof of an existence or non-existence of a God, then Atheism, like Catholicism, is faith based. People also group themselves as this very forum shows and read scripture (Dawkins etc) about their religion.

Some Atheists also try to convince theists of their beliefs so it is also evangelical.

This thread is like an echo chamber of idiocy.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Actually the thinking that brought us the Spanish Inquisition was the opinion that anyone who disagrees with Rome must die.

Can you tell me where any atheist has stated that those who believes in God must die for holding that belief?
    I think Early Christianity (as with most religions) was based on the idea that they had the truth and everyone else was wrong/damned . It took a while. but it got to the Spanish inquisition eventually.
    You are exhibiting the same kind of arrogance.

so anyway is your opinion on God as Valid as that of the Theological Scholar Pope Benedict ?

Reading this thread is like being in an echo chamber of idiocy.

The Blessings of Athei be upon you

I think Early Christianity (as with most religions) was based on the idea that they had the truth and everyone else was wrong/damned . It took a while. but it got to the Spanish inquisition eventually.
    You are exhibiting the same kind of arrogance.

so anyway is your opinion on God as Valid as that of the Theological Scholar Pope Benedict ?

Would you like to answer my question?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dades wrote: »
    I didn't say I did not believe that a God exists and I did not say that I did .
    Would you like a little help deciding?
    Sheesh, Dades, can you stop being so damnably militant and preachy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Alright, alright!!! I'll admit it, atheism is a religion. Now, pray, proponents of atheism being a religion what am I supposed to do to practice my religion?

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Alright, alright!!! I'll admit it, atheism is a religion. Now, pray, proponents of atheism being a religion what am I supposed to do to practice my religion?

ummmm....
    Suspend all of your critical faculties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Could it be ...? R
    A religion ?

Perhaps it might be useful for the purposes of having a useful discussion for you to define what you think a religion is, what are its characteristics and how atheism fulfills those characteristics.

It seems to me that so far regarding science and atheism the argument you have been putting forward is that belief is a component of religion and therefore anything which requires belief is therefore a religion. However, this is a fallacious argument.

Just like Duplex, you seem to be making a fallacious argument that atheism is a religion, in this case the fallacy of biased sample.

First of all, atheism while being a position regarding belief (as opposed to agnosticism) does not require any faith, unless you're a strong atheist who positively believes that there is no god. I think you'll find however that strong atheists are a minority of all atheists. It doesn't require any faith to lack belief in something.

As for your two other points, the actions of some atheists are not necessarily representative of either a) all atheists or b) atheism. After all I'm sure you wouldn't argue that the number of Christians filling up the prison system is representative of Christianity in general.

Would you like to answer my question?

No I cannot ,nor did I say that one did. But if the Belief that your opinion is valid and others are not is a good start on that road.
    Now
    Answer mine ?

ummmm....
    Suspend all of your critical faculties?
    Oh why such a short post. Please I don't understand, elaborate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

WkESE.jpg

No I cannot ,nor did I say that one did. But if the Belief that your opinion is valid and others are not is a good start on that road.
    Now
    Answer mine ?

As I am also a scholar and I have the fancy bits of vellum to prove it (with wax seals and everything). Yes, MY opinion is as valid as Benny's.

- in fact since I am not employed by an organisation whose whole reason for existing is based on the opinions held by Benny and his predecessors', my opinion may actually be more valid in this context as I have no financial stake in toeing a party line.

Let me make this clear - everyone is entitled to hold an opinion - no-one is entitled to use that opinion as justification to torture, murder, abuse those who disagree.

Oh why such a short post. Please I don't understand, elaborate. :)

Keep that up and you'll be pope in no time. Understanding = BAD. Believing = GOOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The English may have improved but they still make about as much sense as dead one.

Now
    Answer mine ?

As I am also a scholar and I have the fancy bits of vellum to prove it (with wax seals and everything). Yes, MY opinion is as valid as Benny's.

- in fact since I am not employed by an organisation whose whole reason for existing is based on the opinions held by Benny and his predecessors', my opinion may actually be more valid in this context as I have no financial stake in toeing a party line.

Let me make this clear - everyone is entitled to hold an opinion - no-one is entitled to use that opinion as justification to torture, murder, abuse those who disagree.

I'm sorry missus but our religion doesn't allow female scholars let alone the possibility of free thinking ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm sorry missus but our religion doesn't allow female scholars let alone the possibility of free thinking ones.

pfff

alright banna it's up to us - let's set up our own one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement