Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Atheism doesn't require you to be active about it. Simply not believing any gods exist is enough. There are active Atheists out there but many have good reason for it whether it be just another side to supernatural claims that they feel the need to debunk (mostly talking faith healers here) or because some religion or other enjoys preferential treatment or even to let some people who know no better through tight indoctrination that there are others out there of do not believe and it's ok not to. It doesn't mean every Atheist should have a similar passion for these fights.

I didn't say I did not believe that a God exists and I did not say that I did .

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

DuPLeX wrote: »
    I don't really care much about either God or Atheism .
    A dictionary is simply a book..... Just like the Bible is :D

don't care much about God, eh? :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    don't care much about God, eh? :P

Did I not just say that ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I don't really care much about either God or Atheism .

Oh look, another one of those Holier Superior than Thou types :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Calibos wrote: »
    Oh look, another one of those Holier Superior than Thou types :D

atheists.png

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    One is a work of fiction and the other isn't. Guess which is which...

I suppose that depends on which is your religion .... to me they are both books .... If you want totell me that you don't believe what is written in one Book but do believe what is written in another book that is your choice .

Galvasean wrote: »
    atheists.png

Trying to claw back a little superiority are we ? :cool:
    or is it that Atheists are superior to Christians but nobody can be superior to Atheists ?

I suppose that depends on which is your religion .... to me they are both books .... If you want totell me that you don't believe what is written in one Book but do believe what is written in another book that is your choice .

depends on your religion? what religion do you have to be to agree with the definitions contained within a dictionary?

Trying to claw back a little superiority are we ? :cool:

Nah, just bringing some humour to the table as you seem to have run out of arguments so are trying to look as neutral as possible.
    It's not working.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I didn't say I did not believe that a God exists and I did not say that I did .
    Would you like a little help deciding?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

depends on your religion? what religion do you have to be to agree with the definitions contained within a dictionary?

I'm thinking of starting a new religion. Our holy book shall be the Encyclopaedia Britannica and the eating of ice cream made with vanilla essence shall be an abomination.

or is it that Atheists are superior to Christians but nobody can be superior to Atheists ?

Ah, I see your ninja edit.
    I don't see why you bothered considering all it shows is that you didn't get the joke. Bravo.

My Point is ........... A Book is a Book .every book is just someone else's Ideas in print .. You Choose how you process that

Why the hell are we wasting our time with someone who can't seem to tell the difference between fiction and non-fiction? :confused:

I believe in the existence of the Gruffalo - I read about him in a book so he must exist.:rolleyes:

I don't see why you bothered considering all it shows is that you didn't get the joke. Bravo.

Go on then......... Explain the Joke

My Point is ........... A Book is a Book .every book is just someone else's Ideas in print .. You Choose how you process that

Literature wept...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

s/he is too superior to have humour!
    that aaaalways makes the joke funnier

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I choose to process your post as nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You can choose how you process it but that doesn't mean you choose correctly.

If I read a textbook on algebra and choose to process it in such a way that disagrees with the findings of the book, then I'm more than likely processing it wrong.

but that's not what you originally said. You were suggesting that a person had to be a member of a religious group to accept information contained within a dictionary.

• Advertisement

Considering your complete contributions to this thread have consisted of little more than missing various points I don't think it would be worth taking the time. XKCD is a very popular web comic with thousands, if not millions of regular readers. Do yourself a favour and read more of their stuff. Worst case scenario; you may end up enjoying yourself.

Why the hell are we wasting our time with someone who can't seem to tell the difference between fiction and non-fiction? :confused:

I believe in the existence of the Gruffalo - I read about him in a book so he must exist.:rolleyes:

excellent arguments there .. very thoughtfull .. But a lot of people supposedly read Mein campf was it fiction or non fiction ?

excellent arguments there .. very thoughtfull .. But a lot of people supposedly read Mein campf was it fiction or non fiction ?

That was a thing called polemic. I would say if that term is unfamiliar you could look it up in a dictionary but ....

but that's not what you originally said. You were suggesting that a person had to be a member of a religious group to accept information contained within a dictionary.
    No it is not what I said .
    But if you feel the need to use a Dictionary as a book of choice to back up your religious belief system (I did not mention Group) then you have got a religious belief system based in some part on a book which (as I explained ) is simply someone else's Ideas ....

That was a thing called polemic. I would say if that term is unfamiliar you could look it up in a dictionary but ....

:rolleyes:

No it is not what I said .
    But if you feel the need to use a Dictionary as a book of choice to back up your religious belief system (I did not mention Group) then you have got a religious belief system based in some part on a book which (as I explained ) is simply someone else's Ideas ....

Let's review the exchange that I'm referring to...
    One is a work of fiction and the other isn't. Guess which is which...

want to try again?

Let's review the exchange that I'm referring to...

want to try again?

Ok then ..............I said
    "I suppose that depends on which is your religion ...." Now If you believe that the Bible is fact then you are most likely a Christian If you Believe that it is fiction then you are probably a believer some other religion (probably Atheism ,given the context) I said
    "to me they are both books .... If you want to tell me that you don't believe what is written in one Book but do believe what is written in another book that is your choice." My intention was to compare any books you might choose to "believe" in or not , but my other explanation regarding your use of the Dictionary still stands

"I suppose that depends on which is your religion ...." Now If you believe that the Bible is fact then you are most likely a Christian If you Believe that it is fiction then you are probably a believer some other religion (probably Atheism ,given the context) I said
    "to me they are both books .... If you want to tell me that you don't believe what is written in one Book but do believe what is written in another book that is your choice." My intention was to compare any books you might choose to "believe" in or not , but my other explanation regarding your use of the Dictionary still stands

Atheism is not a religion.

Thanks, that clears up what you meant with the original response.

As to your comment regarding the dictionary, are you honestly saying that if someone points out a defintion of a phrase, they have a religious belief system party based on the dictionary?:confused:

• Advertisement

Atheism is not a religion.

Oh sorry I thought it was .. It is the title of this thread . so it must be .:confused:

surely ?.

No ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement