Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weston Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I think that one of the biggest problems with Weston in those days was that Capt Kennedy wasn’t very welcoming, a student went into the office to check in and then waited in the lounge for the instructor. Once the lesson was over, you were expected to leave. There was no club atmosphere.

Darby appeared to have a love/hate relationship with Kieron O’Connor who was running Aerial Advertising, people appeared to gravitate towards O’Connor in the “officers mess”.

I spent many innocent and wonderful years associated with Weston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

smurfjed wrote: »
    I think that one of the biggest problems with Weston in those days was that Capt Kennedy wasn’t very welcoming, a student went into the office to check in and then waited in the lounge for the instructor. Once the lesson was over, you were expected to leave. There was no club atmosphere.

Darby appeared to have a love/hate relationship with Kieron O’Connor who was running Aerial Advertising, people appeared to gravitate towards O’Connor in the “officers mess”.

I spent many innocent and wonderful years associated with Weston.

You were lucky to be in one of the 'cliques'??? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@irishsteve, I flew into Addison myself, as well as many others in the Dallas area, having got my license at Meacham. I also managed a flight across LAX with a friend from SMO. cracking experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

There used to be a panel training device probably owned by KO'C

Possibly a 707 or 73 iron dial...anyone recall what type it represented?

Wonder where it is now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

de biz wrote: »
    There used to be a panel training device probably owned by KO'C

Possibly a 707 or 73 iron dial...anyone recall what type it represented?

Wonder where it is now

Back in the day, they had a fixed sim that was based (I think) on a Seneca, but it was a long time ago, and I only sat in it once

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

Well that really depends what they want to fly into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Night and instrument approach capabilities will hopefully be one of the investments. It would benefit the ATOs and aircraft visiting.

Some nice planes coming out of Weston today. Msaxy was one I just seen. Singing came out earlier but I didn't see it in time. It was very loud though. Any where I can check the history of flights in and out?

Used to fly in Weston in Darby Kennedy’s day, 1980 to abt 1984 when I failed to meet minimum eyesight standards.

• Advertisement

And you landed that plane in someone's garden. You are a great pilot!

That was Weston back in the day, complete with peacocks sh1t ting on the airframes. Captain DK would dispatch one for his Christmas dinner.

A video from memory Lane at Weston. Myself doing short circuits in early 80s in BBJ, trying to avoid the treetops. I remember an incident when one girl was sent on her first solo flight, had been doing multiple short circuits with the instructor just before that, and she was so much on mental-autopilot that she started performing her first solo doing a short circuit until advised to do standard Weston circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That's a lot of bank angle so close to the ground! Glad you didn't stall it and are here today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Is Weston Aerodrome more or less a closed shop now except for flight trainees ?The last time I dropped by even the builders seemed to concede that tales of refurbished and / or new cafes or restaurants were far, far into the future :-( This used be such a vibrant part of the local community .Why is it everything locally that people get their hands on they seem determined to run into the ground ? Liffey Valley parking , the now distant memory of the Orchard Garden Centre cafe , even the new Willow and Wild cafe opposite the GAA Club which opened for a day last month after a 2-3 year closure and promptly shut again ?If anyone could address even the first part of my post I’d be grateful .

Ireland is a very NIMBY friendly country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mylo10

The restaurant will be re opening soon, it has been delayed by months. I often fly in here and ask. It was recently bought over (the Collinsons brother, who was part of the purchase is very much involved in GA) so they're trying to make it more "GA" friendly. They even reduced the landing fees for small aircraft.

Any sign of restaurant/cafe etc ?Thanks

What's with the increased traffic the last week? Cheltenham? Or am I just imagining it?

New cafe any good?

• Advertisement

Yes ,2011abc , yes it is .The airport owners have invested serious money into making it look plusher inside ( although I miss the big Egyptian-?- lump of marble on entry ) The cafe is really smart inside although like everywhere ( and previous incarnations of this cafe) they could do with more - and maybe more experienced? -staff.Service wasn’t exactly lightning fast at a very quiet time .The food was nice but some items were unavailable due to lack of ingredients which is very 2008-2011( I was once told a medium sized Italian restaurant had no chicken ) Why invest what is clearly hundreds of thousands if not millions and penny pinch with staff wages / staffing levels etc ? Anyway I realise it’s leased out and margins are razor thin with five figure energy bills etc …apologies for rant .

It’s lovely to see it open again And anyone local will HAVE to check it out .Toilets almost on a par with the palatial green marble ones in Lyons Estate ….!

Don’t know if it’s the weather or some people making lots of dough or trying to become airline pilots or what but the training Cessnas have never appeared as business .At least three constantly airborne doing touch and gos

Any interesting planes due in this week for the bray show? Catalina and mustang maybe?

Nothing lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

Anything unusual there today

Catalina just flew over. Feck.

Lots of interesting planes around this morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Catalina.

P51 Mustang.

Breitling wing walkers.

One of the display teams (Raven or Falcons?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Ravens.

Lads, yis can't be doing that.

https://www.thejournal.ie/drug-seizure-dublin-5-6238397-Dec2023/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

Wonder where it came in from? Not a new thing for Weston if rumours are to believed

Advertisement