Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Liverpool Manager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Manual man's Van Gaal punt is starting to look like a very good bet. He's into 7-1 now. Rumours gathering pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

I really hope Liverpool hire him though, I miss betting against AVB's Chelsea.

You don't need AVB to bet against Liverpool successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Manual man's Van Gaal punt is starting to look like a very good bet. He's into 7-1 now. Rumours gathering pace.

Ye-esss! Seriously? Have a fair wad on him :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Edit: nevermind not the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I hope Rudi Garcia from Lille a interview a least.
    He has done a great job in france.
    And i just put a 5 Euro on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Few little bits that the owners have finally spoken to Rafa.
    Wayne Gordon ‏@Gunga__Din @pauledwards1973 he 100% has now. They have been in touch. not saying he will get the job, but FSG have spoken with him in last 24 hrs

Currently 20-1 in places.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Martinez @ 5/6

Lumping material imo.

Pity I didn't lump. :(

Martinez @ 5/6

Lumping material imo.

Pity I didn't lump. :(

He hasn't got it yet

I'd still be surprised if they gave it too him - Fenway are an ambitious group, i just can't see them giving it to someone with no 'big club' experience. If they've offered him something i think it's more akin to an assistant to the main manager

Which i'm hoping is Van Gaal of course :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Martinez @ 6/4 on VC

Threw a cheeky tener on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Martinez drifting to 10/3
    Brendan Rodgers 3/10
    both on PP

Looks like it's gonna be Rodgers according to BBC. I dont get this fascination with young managers. I'd be surprised if these American owners outlast their Yankee predecessors. :SAD: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,988 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I must get odds on Brendan Rodgers not lasting the season

manual_man wrote: »
    Looks like it's gonna be Rodgers according to BBC. I dont get this fascination with young managers. I'd be surprised if these American owners outlast their Yankee predecessors. :SAD: :(

What have Liverpool realistically got to offer a top experienced manager, apart from a job at a club with a great history. 5 teams have finished ahead of Liverpool in the League in each of the last 3 seasons. They are a 2nd tier team at this stage. The likes of van Gall, Rijkaard, Hiddink, Guardiola are not interested in trying to restore clubs to former glories, especially one with no Champions League football to entice good players.

Headshot wrote: »
    I must get odds on Brendan Rodgers not lasting the season

Boyles are 4/6 that he's still manager at the start of the 2013/14 season (according to Twitter)

Don't know if they've priced up the other side of that bet

DB74 wrote: »

What have Liverpool realistically got to offer a top experienced manager, apart from a job at a club with a great history. 5 teams have finished ahead of Liverpool in the League in each of the last 3 seasons. They are a 2nd tier team at this stage. The likes of van Gall, Rijkaard, Hiddink, Guardiola are not interested in trying to restore clubs to former glories, especially one with no Champions League football to entice good players.

Van Gaal offered his services to Liverpool as manager. Why don't you go and ask him. Maybe he likes a challenge

Van Gaal offered his services to Liverpool as manager. Why don't you go and ask him. Maybe he likes a challenge

Well unless he posts here I haven't got much hope of asking him. That's why I'm asking you

Van Gaal offered his services to Liverpool as manager.

Have you got a link to this?

Van Gaal offered his services to Liverpool as manager.

Have you got a link to this?

Go find it yourself

Go find it yourself

What is your problem?

I asked a simple question regarding what Liverpool have to offer a top experienced manager and you start throwing toys out of the pram and still haven't answered the question either I noticed.

BTW there is no story anywhere that states van Gaal offered his management services to Liverpool. Some rumours about an upstairs role but zero about a management job.

Sadly for their fans, Liverpool are a 2nd-rate club now which is why no big-name manager wants them.

Maybe we can talk about it when you have calmed down

• Advertisement

Rodgers deal still not finalised and drifted out to 1.04 on BF. Stalling due to compensation fee demanded by Swansea

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/7788211/Reds-stall-over-Rodgers-fee

Go find it yourself

What is your problem?

I asked a simple question regarding what Liverpool have to offer a top experienced manager and you start throwing toys out of the pram and still haven't answered the question either I noticed.

BTW there is no story anywhere that states van Gaal offered his management services to Liverpool. Some rumours about an upstairs role but zero about a management job.

Sadly for their fans, Liverpool are a 2nd-rate club now which is why no big-name manager wants them.

Maybe we can talk about it when you have calmed down

Yeah look at you haha Liverpool are a 2nd rate club you do a pathetic job of winding up i saw many different online articles saying Van Gaal was interested in the managers job, now maybe you want to get pedantic about it, but i suggest you use the modern marvel that is Google to find that out for yourself, or even better find an article that said he wasn't interested in it to back up your, 'ahem', original claim

So basically you can't back up your claim then

Just admit that you made a speculative bet, it never looked like coming in and now you are upset so you are fantasising that van Gaal wanted the job after all and Liverpool turned him down

Seriously, don't worry about it

And as far as Liverpool being a second rate club, in the last 3 seasons Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, & Spurs all finished ahead of Liverpool. In a league of 20 teams, any team which has at least 5 teams consistently better than them is not a top-rate club in that league, no matter what the fans want to think.

I can provide links to the final Premier League tables for those years if you don't believe me

Just for a bit of balance (and to show that I'm not a Liverpool-basher), Man Utd will start to find themselves in the same boat in a few years. At the moment, Ferguson is still big enough to bring players to Old Trafford. Once he retires though, the club will have no money to entice big players there. They'll probably get a big-name manager in to replace him but with no money and not much talent there won't be much he can do. The next manager won't be as big a name and slowly but surely Utd will start to struggle to compete with City (and maybe Chelsea)

The Man Utd of old would NEVER have had to bring someone like Scholes out of retirement and now he has another 12-month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Personally I dont think FSG made the decision to appoint Rogers lightly. They must have good faith that he will bring Liverpool forward, they have a lot at stake
    We were never going to get a elite manager like Mourinho or Guardiola. No champs league and limited cash for new players
    I hope Rogers is given a chance though and not sacked in 6 months

So basically you can't back up your claim then

Just admit that you made a speculative bet, it never looked like coming in and now you are upset so you are fantasising that van Gaal wanted the job after all and Liverpool turned him down

Seriously, don't worry about it

And as far as Liverpool being a second rate club, in the last 3 seasons Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, & Spurs all finished ahead of Liverpool. In a league of 20 teams, any team which has at least 5 teams consistently better than them is not a top-rate club in that league, no matter what the fans want to think.

I can provide links to the final Premier League tables for those years if you don't believe me

I'm far from worried about it. And btw you're the one that made a claim, i countered it

I don't need to be told where Liverpool finished in recent seasons, i suffered it, as have other Liverpool fans, where we differ though is i don't believe that makes us a 2nd rate club :)

And as for my bet, any bet is a 'speculative' bet, you have to be prepared to lose what you put on, which i was, so no grudges there, that's the nature of the game. And whoever the new manager is, i'll get behind him, 'coz that's what a true fan does

I'm far from worried about it. And btw you're the one that made a claim, i countered it

So no link then to show me that van Gaal offered his services to Liverpool. Just admit that he never offered his services and be done with it.

Also what makes a club "top-rate" in your opinion?

De Dannan wrote: »
    Personally I dont think FSG made the decision to appoint Rogers lightly. They must have good faith that he will bring Liverpool forward, they have a lot at stake
    We were never going to get a elite manager like Mourinho or Guardiola. No champs league and limited cash for new players
    I hope Rogers is given a chance though and not sacked in 6 months

Any new manager should be given a chance. And i agree i don't think they took the decision to appoint him lightly. My worry is that it's a very risky appointment. And tbh this talk of Van Gaal still being Director of Football worries me greatly. Anything that undermines a manager at all at a football club is just asking for trouble, i don't really see the benefit at all of having a Director of Football tbh

So no link then to show me that van Gaal offered his services to Liverpool. Just admit that he never offered his services and be done with it.

Also what makes a club "top-rate" in your opinion?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1077874/louis-van-gaal-tells-liverpool-he-wants-manager's-job?cc=5739

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/news/van-gaal-wants-liverpool-job-115006061--sow.html?orig_host_hdr=za.news.yahoo.com&.intl=ZA&.lang=en-ZA

bleacherreport.com/articles/1196643-liverpool-fc-why-louis-van-gaal-shouldnt-be-hired-as-reds-sporting-director

www.football411.com/story/0,22162,14341_7775287,00.html

All found on page 1 of a search :)

Though i'm sure you could have found that yourself if you wanted to :)

Top rate is any club with real potential to succeed, and you may disagree with me on this, but i believe Liverpool have that potential. You can't always live in the past, as so many people often remind us ;)

• Advertisement

That's great thanks

The only issue I would have is that they all refer to The Sun as their source which is dodgy at best plus it doesn't actually say that van Gaal offered to manage Liverpool and was turned down by the board.

It's minor stuff anyway

As regards Liverpool's potential, they don't generate enough turnover to be able to compete at the top table in terms of enticing players etc to the club

Advertisement