Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Liverpool Manager

Options
  • 16-05-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭

updated odds on next permanent manager

Dalglish is gone :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

manual_man wrote: »

as a united fan this is awful news

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Pudsy33 wrote: »

as a united fan this is awful news

Dalglish did perfectly alright. He inherited a sh*t squad, got us to the final of two cups, and invested in new young talent for the future, supposedly what the owners wanted :rolleyes: what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Dalglish did perfectly alright. He inherited a sh*t squad, got us to the final of two cups, and invested in new young talent for the future, supposedly what the owners wanted :rolleyes: what a joke

I actually think the sacking was harsh, but not sure the cup finals mad up for the very poor league form. Any this isn't the time or the place.

Threw 5e on Rjickard the be next boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

I hope its not Rafa anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Mourinho please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

AVB.

MoN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

AVB.

Whoever wins, they lose

Might punt Van Gaal. The man has a phenomenal record

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Lads, just remember there is a seperate soccer forum for proper discussion and this is a betting tips thread at the core obviously.

____

Anyway.

Stuck a tenner on AVB to Liverpool @ 12/1, heart over head. Got it right last year with him to Chelsea. But this time, I actually hope it comes in.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    Might punt Van Gaal. The man has a phenomenal record

Anyone who managed not to qualify with that Dutch squad in 2002 is a failure.

How much more of a stupid and ignorant statement can that be. We're talking club football. And his club management record is superb. Took him at 50's

-Ade- wrote: »
    Lads, just remember there is a seperate soccer forum for proper discussion and this is a betting tips thread at the core obviously.

____

Anyway.

Stuck a tenner on AVB to Liverpool @ 12/1, heart over head. Got it right last year with him to Chelsea. But this time, I actually hope it comes in.

Dropped to 9/4 best price.

Villas Boas odds have dropped to 13/8 at PP now.

Villas Boas odds have dropped to 13/8 at PP now.

You got in well there. I still can't see them hiring him though, he failed pretty bad in his first managerial job overseas

You got in well there. I still can't see them hiring him though, he failed pretty bad in his first managerial job overseas

I personally don't look at Villas Boas' time at Chelsea with any real note of worry. I'll just skim the surface here, but I said in the Chelsea thread last summer that he'd need a season at the very least to shape the team in his style. He wasn't given that time. Also, last year before I felt Kenny had earned himself a season (I didn't expect us to be that good for the first 6 months of his 2nd term!), he was my no.1 choice alongside Klopp at Dortmund to take over at Anfield. I still have full faith in the guy and his footballing methods. He just never stood much of a chance at Chelsea from the offset with the egos there, players (who can only play one style of football really) and owner. Look at all the great

As for FSG considering him for Liverpool. He ticks every box. Young, exciting, very stat based, forward thinking coach. Out of those available currently, they'd be mad not at least try and get him on board.

I personally don't look at Villas Boas' time at Chelsea with any real note of worry. I'll just skim the surface here, but I said in the Chelsea thread last summer that he'd need a season at the very least to shape the team in his style. He wasn't given that time. Also, last year before I felt Kenny had earned himself a season (I didn't expect us to be that good for the first 6 months of his 2nd term!), he was my no.1 choice alongside Klopp at Dortmund to take over at Anfield. I still have full faith in the guy and his footballing methods. He just never stood much of a chance at Chelsea from the offset with the egos there, players (who can only play one style of football really) and owner. Look at all the great

As for FSG considering him for Liverpool. He ticks every box. Young, exciting, very stat based, forward thinking coach. Out of those available currently, they'd be mad not at least try and get him on board.

Hmmm i'm not sure. I mean football is about man management. Fair enough, AVB wasn't faced with that situation before, but he handled it all wrong. Sure, he'll have learned from it. Personally i believe in gaining every last drop possible from an ageing player (if he's good enough). Do clearouts in the summer if you really need to. Otherwise you're in for a disaster. I like AVB, he's young, but he's still got alot to learn in terms of management. I can see him going on to achieve great success, at different clubs, but at this time i'm not sure he's the right man for Liverpool. I have a feeling FSG will want a man who's 'been there, sold the t-shirts, brought home the medals' (at different clubs). That's why Van Gaal jumped out at me, he's won a league title with EVERY club he's ever managed, all the more impressive when you consider one of them was AZ Alkmaar. He also has big club experience. And he's not too old. I get the impression from FSG they're an ambitious group, and personally i'd be very surprised if they didn't hire someone with those type of said credentials. Was very lucky and got Van Gaal (on average) at 65's on betfair, i'm in for a hefty sum if he becomes the next Liverpool manager. BIG if obviously, but i definitely thought it worthy of a punt

Hmmm i'm not sure. I mean football is about man management. Fair enough, AVB wasn't faced with that situation before, but he handled it all wrong. Sure, he'll have learned from it. Personally i believe in gaining every last drop possible from an ageing player (if he's good enough). Do clearouts in the summer if you really need to. Otherwise you're in for a disaster. I like AVB, he's young, but he's still got alot to learn in terms of management. I can see him going on to achieve great success, at different clubs, but at this time i'm not sure he's the right man for Liverpool. I have a feeling FSG will want a man who's 'been there, sold the t-shirts, brought home the medals' (at different clubs). That's why Van Gaal jumped out at me, he's won a league title with EVERY club he's ever managed, all the more impressive when you consider one of them was AZ Alkmaar. He also has big club experience. And he's not too old. I get the impression from FSG they're an ambitious group, and personally i'd be very surprised if they didn't hire someone with those type of said credentials. Was very lucky and got Van Gaal (on average) at 65's on betfair, i'm in for a hefty sum if he becomes the next Liverpool manager. BIG if obviously, but i definitely thought it worthy of a punt

He was following the owners instructions though,
    • Introduce an attacking football philosophy
    • Refresh the squad
    • Play Torres, quite clear Roman wanted him to feature as much as possible early on last season. But IMO, Villas Boas would have played him anyway also.
    • Win the CL

He did/was on course for all of that, the 2nd point there were steps towards that. I'm not sure what people are expecting. I'm never said he's the finished article by any means but he is way ahead of the curve in regards in many areas.

FSG are about building a dynasty through youth, on or off the field.

Anyway, we'll have to let this play out :)

edit - just as I finished my post..
    AVB's agent confirms no contact from #LFC but that it would be an 'appealing position'

I'm gonna take the 'no contact from #LFC' statement as proof they're in a tulip field in Holland talking to a 60 year old about the merits of Total Football :pac:

Wigan Athletic press officer Ed Jones tells the BBC he cannot comment on speculation that Roberto Martinez has been given permission to speak to Liverpool

Ah jaysis :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭Lasagna Diarra

I don't know how anyone can defend AVB, just look at the difference between AVB's Chelsea and Di Matteo's Chelsea, it's like night a day. I really hope they hire AVB so I can bet against Liverpool week in week out next season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

soon we will need a dossier on managers names

they all seem to have 3 initials now, when did this nonsense begin., just realised FSG are apparently owners of LFC. ::::

- cnt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Martinez @ 5/6

Lumping material imo.

i just did 10 on AVB at 7's i suggest you do the same with LVG Ade :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

What is price is AVB with Paddy Power?

Think he's worth 10quid!

small bit on Lambert too. small chance, but he's a young ambitious manager, two back to back to promotions and a tied 10th finish in first season in Premier League

thebison wrote: »
    What is price is AVB with Paddy Power?

Think he's worth 10quid!

5/2

There was a 10/1 special in shop in PP to name the managers of Liverpool, Villa and Chelsea for the first PL game of the season.

Did,

Di Matteo
    Martinez
    Solskjaer

I don't know how anyone can defend AVB, just look at the difference between AVB's Chelsea and Di Matteo's Chelsea, it's like night a day. I really hope they hire AVB so I can bet against Liverpool week in week out next season.

Such an extremely simple way at looking at things without hitting any of the key notes.

1. If you want to reference the league. Look at the points per a game ratio in the league.
    2. If you want to reference the Champions League, I'll reference Avram Grant too.

I'll give you the FA Cup, that's it but who's to say Villas Boas wouldn't of won it as well. All Di Matteo has done is revert to type A tactically, hardly revolutionary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 abettingman

I've a tenner and a bit on Ancelotti, PSG's season finishes tomorrow evening, and bar a miracle will finish 2nd under alot of spend. I think an outside bet on Carlo could pay dividends. He has the best CV around in Premierships and FA cup terms in recent years. I think Liverpool would be silly not to ask the question at least. So my 10 quid goes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭Lasagna Diarra

Such an extremely simple way at looking at things without hitting any of the key notes.

1. If you want to reference the league. Look at the points per a game ratio in the league.
    2. If you want to reference the Champions League, I'll reference Avram Grant too.

I'll give you the FA Cup, that's it but who's to say Villas Boas wouldn't of won it as well. All Di Matteo has done is revert to type A tactically, hardly revolutionary stuff.

Come on, you can't defend AVB, his tactics clearly didn't work, the team didn't know how to defend properly... and they didn't know how to score goals. He was on the verge of getting Chelsea out of the CL, and also out of the FA cup (1-1 at home vs Birmingham).

I really hope Liverpool hire him though, I miss betting against AVB's Chelsea.

Advertisement