Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has your life turned out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I never planned or thought where will i be when i'm 25/35/45 etc.
    Maybe i had low aspirations so never gave it much thought, but life now is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Surprised everybody including myself by going to college at 41 years old, none of my friends/workmates believe me when I tell them what I,m studying or where I work part time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Senna wrote: »
    I never planned or thought where will i be when i'm 25/35/45 etc.
    Maybe i had low aspirations so never gave it much thought, but life now is good.
    I was expecting a parody post about dying at like 100mph.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Probably have some unfulfilled potential, had this conversation with a friend only on Friday, admitted I'm probably working in my Plan B career choice, kind of like my job, kind of bored with it, have some great friends, relationship-wise things could be better, healthwise should definitely drink less but get plenty of exercise, have done plenty of travelling and will do plenty more, the Microsoft Excel file on my computer called Personal Finances and the Bank Balance could be healthier - I certainly don't think I'd be in a position to support a family on my current earnings.

Saying all that I'm quite happy and proud of some of my experiences and achievements, I've also definitely had some difficult moments through the years, including one in particular where I was lucky to come out alive, so times like those make you appreciate the good times that bit more.

Anyway, I don't think my life has "turned out" just yet, as Fianna Fáil or was it Irish Rail or one of those excuse-peddlers said, I've a lot done but have more to do, but as my quote a day calendar said on Saturday 21st April, "You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do." So I better get cracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The beauty of life is that it is your own and the direction your life takes is mainly up to you. It sometimes can take a bit of work and time to change but change it can.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I always thought I'd end up in jail, I'm not so that's great :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Pretty much what I expected, except I don't drive around in a van solving crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

I thought I'd be back in Denmark, living in the same small town where I grew up, working as a teacher, married to the guy I met when I was 16 and with a couple of kids.

Instead I'm single, have lived in Lithuania, spent 6 amazing years in Ireland, travelled a lot, and now have a job that I love in Localisation Quality in London - even though I hope to go back to Ireland some day - and have fantastic friends from all over the world and strangely enough I feel even closer to my family than I did when I lived closer to them.

I would never have guessed that this was where I'd end up but I'm very happy that I did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pretty good - can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Wrong wrong - it's all wrong.
    I keep having children - I never even wanted any!
    All I ever wanted to do was travel the world - and do it properly, mixing with all sorts of cultures etc...
    And I wanted to become a psychologist of some sort, maybe a neuro psychologist.
    I've only managed to do bits of college due to kids, finances, and illness.
    I keep going and doing well, then something messes it up or I get pregnant again!!!
    And so far, I haven't managed to do any traveling whatsoever - and can't imagine a time in the forseeable suture where it will be possible.
    I wanted fun and adventure, I wanted to learn, to see and experience everything that's out there, to live in different places and learn their ways, to find myself, to grow.
    Instead I find myself stuck inside my role of mother and wife, yet at 27, I feel I have completely lost who I am.
    I nolonger have any idea what fun is.
    I nolonger feel pasionate about anything.
    I am not one of those women who is content as a housewife, or even a 9-5 job.
    I long for more, yet have little idea how to attain it.
    Well there's my dear diary entry for today! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I honesty thought I'd be dead. I took one of those 'Find out when you'll die tests' last year and it said, in all likelihood I'd die in July 2012. And I'm on schedule.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I was supposed to be working at Pixar by now but that dream has died under the crushing realization that I cannot use 3D software for the life of me. It also doesn't help that I can barely draw these days. *sob*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Going quite well
    decided last year to stop daydreaming about "one day" things and to go and make them happen, and so far I am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

All I ever wanted to do was travel the world - and do it properly, mixing with all sorts of cultures etc...
    I keep going and doing well, then something messes it up or I get pregnant again!!!
    And so far, I haven't managed to do any traveling whatsoever - and can't imagine a time in the forseeable suture where it will be possible.
    I wanted fun and adventure, I wanted to learn, to see and experience everything that's out there, to live in different places and learn their ways, to find myself, to grow.
    Instead I find myself stuck inside my role of mother and wife, yet at 27, I feel I have completely lost who I am.
    You should make a child army like that carl weathers fellow earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

mattjack wrote: »
    Surprised everybody including myself by going to college at 41 years old, none of my friends/workmates believe me when I tell them what I,m studying or where I work part time.

Dafuq? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'll tell you how it all turned out when it's over. I wouldn't want to spoil the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I was thinking about this exact thing just the other day of how the childhood me would think if they could see me now. I'm 100% sure if the six year old me could have peeked into the future and could see me now they would think I am freaking AWESOME!! True story.

Unfortunately six year olds don't really care about things like money, career stability, goal achievement etc etc.

Still, theoretically having impressed the six year old me made me happy for the rest of the day :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

It's great. I love getting drunk every now and again. What a feeling of release and escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Well I used to be a stoner, How the fu(k do you think my life turned out so far. :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Don't bother travelling, you can see te world with google street view.

That made me laugh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

You sound so similar to me!

I had so many plans for the future, but became pregnant young and now am in a wonderful relationship with four children!

I work two crappy part time jobs to fit around my partner's job and the kids and have little time for myself.

However, I still have dreams for my future - the children will be all grown up soon and then it's my time! I doubt we'll ever be rich, but I still plan to travel a bit and perhaps train for a job I'd actually enjoy doing.

There's always time to improve your situation. Maybe not today or next year, but one day when the pressure is off a little, you'll get the chance to look after yourself a lot more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Just when you think things are going to get better and you attempt to carve a life out of this ****ty planet, Something is there to kick you back down.

Been my experience all my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not sure but I'm just gonna to slap myself right on the back and go with the flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If I had of been told as a child how I'd be now I'd probably have hanged myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Sounds a lot like me too.

I had big plans for my life to follow my Aunt's footsteps working for the UN in Switzerland or Holland, not having kids and spending my spare time travelling and experience the nicest things in life.

It was all on track and she had managed to get me in to work in the UN for the summer I finished college, after I came back from working in a UN refugee camp in Bosnia, then I found out I was pregnant with my eldest.

Scuppered that plan!

Since then my life has been a struggle in mediocre jobs bringing up my 2 sons on my own. My life is nothing like I planned.

There have been some high points along the way and my boys are my world and more than make up for the broken dreams but that said, I cant wait for them to go off and live their lives so I can live mine. Oldest doing his leaving cert this year and the youngest will be gone in 4 years so hopefully time will fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

It's been a bit crap lately and this thread does nothing to make me feel like that might change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

No, it sucks so much. I've done nothing, I wanted to be a somebody but I've no talent, in anything. And I'm still stuck with people who act like they're 13 or 14 years old. I never wanted to grow up but now I'm just sick of it.
    I just wish I could get away from it all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

EdenHazard wrote: »
    No, it sucks so much. I've done nothing, and am still stuck with people who act like they're 13 or 14 years old. I never wanted to grow up but now I'm just sick of it.
    I just wish I could get away from it all!!!!

Well...

I'm sure your move to Manchester City will improve things, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Well - the astronaut thing didn't happen, or the formula 1 driver gig.
    I was convinced I had the recent James Bond role, maybe next time.
    The lotto is just waiting for me I can feel it.
    The USA coast to coast drive, next year, or maybe the year after that, I'll have to squeeze it in between being CEO of Playboy and my job of chief nipple tweaker at the Ladies International beach volley ball competitions.

Otherwise it has gone according to plan - except I just haven't managed to get my hands on an Aston Martin DB7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

My friends nicknamed me "pipedream" when in school.

My dreams are experience/travel related rather than anything with a career etc.

I just see jobs as ways of getting money and not something to spend your life on.
    But I do want to be my own boss (doesn't everyone)

I had great dreams of travelling and doing crazy things.

I've now lived in Canada, Hawaii, Asia and Australia at any time in last 10 years.

I'm 27 and living in Melbourne now but have more travel dreams.

I want to travel around South America in 2014 and go to the World Cup in Brazil once I get PR here.

Considering following the Lions next year too as they are in Australia and I havent seen the whole country yet.

Advertisement