Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manny Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn't get to see the fight but from the accounts here and elsewhere it seems really bad. Was it as "bad" as the 3rd Marquez fight, which IMO was a close fight that could have went either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

walshb wrote: »
    Was it as "bad" as the 3rd Marquez fight, which IMO was a cloe fight that could have went either way?
    Wasn't even nearly as close as the Marquez fight. Pacquaio had to chase Bradley for most of the fight.He clearly was better than Bradley

Heres some of the stats from the fight .CompuBox showed Pacquiao connected on 253 punches to Bradley's 159, with a 63-51 advantage in jabs and 190-108 in power punches.Yet the judges C.J Ross and Duane Ford gave Bradley a 115-113 edge , while judge Jerry Roth scored the bout 115-113 for Pacquiao.

Judges Ross and Ford each awarded Bradley five of the final six rounds even though Pacquiao backed Bradley to the ropes in eighth and ninth rounds.

Most of the reporters and experts scored the bout for Pacquiao 9-3 or 8-4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

freevoice wrote: »
    agreed , final nail in pro boxing

How many final nails can pro boxing have, you obviously have no clue as this is nothing new-Boxing is 1 of the most corrupt sports their is and with Bob Arum over both fighters then a big money rematch is likely :rolleyes:

Re decision
    Now he knows how Marquez felt! 3 times.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Re decision

But the Marquez fights to many were not robberies. By all accounts this result is a real real stinker.

The first JMM fight was no way a robbery. Manny won that fight. The third fight was a timid and boring and dull affair that either man deserved.

''I'll make a lot of money off the rematch" --Bob Arum

Say it all! Sickening thing to say.

I had to infract, warn a few people here-streaming that is illegal can't be asked for or given out, this is really simple-don't ask on here for links or post links.

What you do by pm is not my business

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    But the Marquez fights to many were not robberies. By all accounts this result is a real real stinker.

The first JMM fight was no way a robbery. Manny won that fight. The third fight was a timid and boring and dull affair that either man deserved.

''I'll make a lot of money off the rematch" --Bob Arum

Say it all! Sickening thing to say.

Arum stinks no doubt.

Manny lost the 3rd match and many believe all 3, it does not matter if you lose by 2 rounds or 10-fact of the matter is shady goings on where in play somewhere. I don't know anyone who thought Manny won the last Marquez fight-his record is now a bit closer to what it should be either way-1-2 more bad decisions and his true record will be there.

He should be blowing feather fist Bradley away anyway

I can't wait till Arum is gone, he has no love for Boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Is this real life?

I'll be honest i actually turned my stream off before the result was given due to the **** quality of it and because i thought the outcome was a forgone conclusion.

I know boxing has been rife with corruption from day one but this is as bad a decision as we'll ever see. I'm actually amazed. I had Manny winning nearly 10-2, i thought he left the last couple of rounds slip but no matter how you scored it Manny was always comfortably winning, this is just shocking.

I don't think Manny gave this fight his full respect, concentration and effort. He was arsing around during the build up and looked tired towards the end of the bout but still should of came out a clear winner.

Amazed is not the word. There is no possible way you anyone can justify a Bradley victory. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Really astounded at this!

I turned it off and went down for breakfast before the announcement, only after hearing on the news there! I had pacquaio winning 9:3 and that was being generous!

Bradley did not even come close to winning this fight

Manny looked tired for the last few rounds and he should have got him out of there early on as Bradely didn't want to know! he was hanging on literately for 2 or three rounds! All he did was tap mannys gloves the odd time for the first 8 rounds!

This was worse than a stinker of a decision! I dont think anyone could even try to argue otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Manny took it, no question. I was absolutely shocked. Bradley took maybe 3 rounds at best by outworking Manny, but Manny landed more, landed harder throughout the fight. Probably makes up for the decisions robbed from Marquez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

just watched it there online and although i'm far from a boxing expert i dont see how people can think Pac man was totally robbed..... There were many rounds where there was nothing between them and could easily have been to Bradley...

Even the commentators on the stream i watched said it was close at the end.... and agreed bradley could win.....

manny didnt do enough in my opinion

jobless wrote: »
    just watched it there online and although i'm far from a boxing expert i dont see how people can think Pac man was totally robbed..... There were many rounds where there was nothing between them and could easily have been to Bradley...

Even the commentators on the stream i watched said it was close at the end.... and agreed bradley could win.....

manny didnt do enough in my opinion

This is something I will always consider. Many times you have a fight where rds are so close and diffcult to score. In this case an 8-4 in one mind could easily be a 6-6 or 7-5 reversal in another mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

No comparison between this and the Marquez fight. Absolutely none. I thought the latest Pac-JMM fight was a close but clear victory for Marquez. This was not even remotely close.

To be honest I was mainly disappointed about how little Bradley offered. He simply was not a threat. I can hardly remember him making Manny uncomfortable at any stage. Manny walked him down all night, landed the cleaner shots, and unquestionably landed the harder shots. It was as clear cut as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Lads I weatched the fight up until the eleventh, gave pacquaio almost every round. I turned it off at the end of the 11th round cause I thought it was a mere formality.

What a disgrace

I hate pacquaio but he definitely won.

Thought he slowed down in the later rounds but bradley was fcuking useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

It wasn't a complete white-wash in Manny's favour but he could have pushed 10 - Being nice about a couple of rounds I had Manny winning 8-4....

As I said, that was me giving Bradley a couple of rounds that Manny could have just won!!!

Boxing at the top now is becoming WWE.

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Manc-Red wrote: »
    It wasn't a complete white-wash in Manny's favour but he could have pushed 10 - Being nice about a couple of rounds I had Manny winning 8-4....

As I said, that was me giving Bradley a couple of rounds that Manny could have just won!!!

Boxing at the top now is becoming WWE.

Madness

there were some rounds i found very hard to score so thats why i'm saying it wasnt a robbery.... some of these could have been scored either way... i though t bradley had a better opening and closing in the fight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

jobless wrote: »
    there were some rounds i found very hard to score so thats why i'm saying it wasnt a robbery.... some of these could have been scored either way... i though t bradley had a better opening and closing in the fight...

Bradley started fast, but he had nothing in his punches, there were times when I thought that Bradley wouldn't make the stool or get up from it when the bell rang for the next round.

Manny did not keep the pace up though to finish him off, & I agree that Bradley finished off the better with Manny "easing" across the line...

But there is no way in between for me that Bradley does anything classy to take the belt off Manny.

Each to their own of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Manny landed 94 more punches in total?

Manny being very graveful in defeat, I think it was robbery myself, but he is saying that we have to repect the decision of the judges etc, he is a class act.

Some joke of a decision though, hope they have a re match

I went back over it again and I actually have Manny ahead 9-3. If I was going to be generous to Bradley I would score it 8-4.

Sadly this is of course not the final nail in the coffin of boxing, the corruption is disgusting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Manny lost his last fight and won a terrible judges decision.....poetic justice best poundfor pound fighter my hole....
    Got what he deserved he has been on a decline in his last 2 fights and is finished in my eyes

• Advertisement

Manny lost his last fight and won a terrible judges decision.....poetic justice best poundfor pound fighter my hole....
    Got what he deserved he has been on a decline in his last 2 fights and is finished in my eyes

According to pretty much ALL he did not get what he deserved. So, why did he get what he deserved in your eyes? Previous fights and results should have zero bearing on this fight and the next fight etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

cowzerp wrote: »
    How many final nails can pro boxing have, you obviously have no clue as this is nothing new-Boxing is 1 of the most corrupt sports their is and with Bob Arum over both fighters then a big money rematch is likely :rolleyes:

Re decision

Not calling myself an expect by any means but this decision was one of the worse decisions I seen in boxing in 20 years , it can't be brushed off as something that just happens in the sport ,this was a major cock up ,anyone with eyes could see it wasn't close,

I agree with you about the Bob Arum scheming completely.

The Marquez fights has nothing to do with this bout , their fights were all close .I agree about the last fight with Marquez could have went his way , but the other two ,nah pacquiao had him on the floor 3 times in one ,still close but i felt pac edged them imo

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

insanity50 wrote: »
    Lads I weatched the fight up until the eleventh, gave pacquaio almost every round. I turned it off at the end of the 11th round cause I thought it was a mere formality.

What a disgrace

I hate pacquaio but he definitely won.

Thought he slowed down in the later rounds but bradley was fcuking useless.

I was expecting you to be on here today hashtagging and trolling t'fuk. It really says something about this decision that you're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

I must be the only one who actually saw the punches landed by Bradley.
    The guys I was watching it with and commentators alike.
    It was all "Oh, great right from Pac", and at the same time Bradley landed two or three of them and they never noticed, but people just see pacs punches.

Nobody said Bradley didn't land any punches, but look at the fight stats, Pac landed 94 more punches, did you miss them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I thought Bradley won it commentators always seem to be one sided so turned the sound of as i usually do, it was a close call in my opinion Bradley won second round handily enough but the round indicator gave it to pacman 10 9 one of the later rounds was a 10 8 pacman how it gave that is hard to imagine,Bradley was confident enough he had it won at the end

babymanval wrote: »
    I was expecting you to be on here today hashtagging and trolling t'fuk. It really says something about this decision that you're not!

I am sick of this type of post, next person to post that someone (especially insanity50) is a troll on here is getting a ban.

He may be a nut hugger or whatever but once he sticks within the charter then he can hug whoevers nuts he wants.

This is getting petty now and it ends now, I'm not tolerating it anymore.

Leave the mods to mod.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the punch stats, they're normally way off when it comes to punches landed. It's just two guys pressing buttons, given a veneer of credibility by the statistical presentation.

Teddy Atlas pretty much summed it up for me:
    Unfortunately, the scorers of fights are incompetent. Sometimes they're more than incompetent. Sometimes they're corrupt. (Boxing) doesn't have a national commission, like other sports do. Doesn't have a police body, like other sports have. And therefore you get this kind of situation. I'm not sure if it's accurate that Pacquiao was about to leave one of the kingpins of the sport, Bob Arum. His contract was running out. But I think it was. And when that happens, sometimes funny things happen. But the bottom line is, if you're an honest man, if you're a competent person that knows what he's watching, Pacquiao won that fight. Only one man won that fight. And, you know, he doesn't get the decision. It's an injustice to the sport, injustice to the fighters, injustice to the fanbase. It's one of the fallacies. It's one of the problems with the sport of boxing right now is that the wrong guy wins sometimes."

He actually gave a great interview on this issue a few weeks back where he really hit the nail on the head:
    “So forget about the stuff you’ve got to prove,” continued Atlas, “that you’ve got to find a smoking gun. Forget that. Put it aside, because no one’s going to investigate that. But it wouldn’t be hard to do. It would be so easy. Just look into their accounts. It would be painless if they were to do a forensic accounting. They would find it. But what I’m talking about doesn’t even have to go that deep. I’m talking about the organizations—common sense here—the organizations and the commissions that are running this business.

The promoters have relationships. And guess what human beings do when they have relationships. They talk. They plan. They scheme. They finagle. That’s what they do. And what do human beings do when you give them a chance in a business and there’s no separation of the relationship? One guy controls this part of it. The other guy controls the other part of it. Guess what they do. They get together and say, ‘Hey, how can we help each other? Hey, how can we better our position? Hey, how can we make more money?’ That’s why walls are put up. That’s why there’s structure. That’s why there’s policy. That’s why there’s policing. That’s why the stock market has the SEC policing over there. That’s why the music industry has the policing for something else. That’s why those things are put in place—to STOP THOSE THINGS FROM HAPPENING. But nothing is put in place to stop those things from happening in boxing.”

“You go into a certain place, you know where to go, you go into that place the night before a big fight, you go into a restaurant, the head of the organization and all the officials, all the judges, all the referees—I’ve been there. I’ve been at the dinners. They’re all having a $5000 dinner. Guess who’s paying for it: the promoter. He’s at the dinner. He’s paying for it. All the heads of the organization, everyone’s there. What do you think happens?

“Would the Steinbrenners have a deal like that with the head of the umpiring organization before the World Series? Don’t make me laugh. Of course they couldn’t, because the sport would go down the toilet if they did. Because there’s someone there to make sure that doesn’t happen. But if there was no one there to make sure it didn’t happen, it would happen. But it can’t happen because they don’t let it happen. But it happens in my sport. It happens all the time. And what else do you think happens besides picking up the tab and having wine and lobster and caviar and steak and all the best of everything? What do think is happening there? What do you think happens at these
    dinners?

You don’t think that the organization, the dinner that’s being thrown by their friend the promoter, you don’t think that he’s making sure the right judges are being picked, are being assigned—let me use the right word: ASSIGNED—to do the fight the next night? You don’t think those judges KNOW who has to win?”

barney4001 wrote: »
    I thought Bradley won it commentators always seem to be one sided so turned the sound of as i usually do, it was a close call in my opinion Bradley won second round handily enough but the round indicator gave it to pacman 10 9 one of the later rounds was a 10 8 pacman how it gave that is hard to imagine,Bradley was confident enough he had it won at the end

:D

So confident he said he'll have to watch the video to see if he won.

• Advertisement

Juan Manuel Marquez says that Pacquiao won the fight by at least 5 points.

Advertisement