Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proceedure for servicing a gas boiler

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

JohnnieK wrote: »
    There is a lot of posts on Boards regarding boiler services over the last while. Between website deals and so on.
    I have put this thread up to try and highlight to consumers what should be done when a boiler is serviced and hopefully know what to expect for your money.

A boiler service should take between an hour to an hour and a half (depends on the engineer) If its 15, 20 mins then it's not done right.

The servicing of gas appliances in Ireland is governed by Annex C of the is813 standard for domestic gas installations.
    Annex C
    1. Appliances shall be serviced by competent persons using appropriate test equipment

2. Appliances should be serviced at intervals indicated in the manufacturers instructions or at more frequent intervals if dictated by the conditions of use and in general at a minimum of 1 year.

3. Appliances shall be serviced according to manufacturers instruction

4. In servicing the appliance the competent person should address the following safety indicators.

• effectivness of the flue
    • safety devices on or controlling the appliance have not been rendered inoprable
    • supply of combustion air
    • appliance burner pressure (where applicable)
    • appropriatness of the location of the appliance
    • gas soundness of the appliance.
    5. The occupier or the person responsible for the premises in which the appliance is situated shall be notified if any of the above are not satisfactory. Where considered necessary a notification of hazard shall be issued.

6. The competent person may decide to affix a warning notice and/or isolate the gas supply to the installation or to an appliance if deemed appropriate.

7. The competent person shall, when appropriate and required, issue a notice confirming the safety of the appliance.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I noticed a fairly fresh sticker on an old Prima from one of the companies that offer Special Offer Gas Boiler Servicing on one of the discount deal web sites.

I asked about the service, how much and long they took.
    She said.. " He took the cover off, used my vacuum cleaner on it, said thats fine and stuck his sticker on it, it only took him about 15 minutes... was that not ok? she then asked. !!!!

35euro, 15mins tops, no receipt, no analysis reading, no paperwork of any sort.

Now that's criminal and dangerous. NO CERT & Report = NO JOB > Report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I used to know a guy that would clean the boiler (Kerosene) set the oil pressure and call that a service.
    Although I would not agree that there should be a yearly service on my boiler as it only used a tank of Kerosene a year.

It has been a few years now since a service, can anyone recommend a proper service eng in West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

DanWall wrote: »
    I used to know a guy that would clean the boiler (Kerosene) set the oil pressure and call that a service.
    Although I would not agree that there should be a yearly service on my boiler as it only used a tank of Kerosene a year.

It has been a few years now since a service, can anyone recommend a proper service eng in West Cork

Maybe you should put this in the oil boiler servicing thread. Scudo2 is cork i think, not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Best asking in the servicing oil boiler thread. Send PM to Scudo

I come down myself only after tomorrow ye Cork fellas won't let a Kilkenny man near ye.

We have a new team member too ready for the match....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

This is a gas tread but u Proberly mean an oil boiler as you mentioned kerosene ?

What part of west Cork and ill give u a name. I'm city based myself but know all the good service eng. West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Can anyone recommend someone to service a gas boiler (Ideal) in the Dublin 18 area. Please PM me contact details. I have searched the RGII site and their are 27 companies in the D16/D18 area so it would be good if I could get a recommendation from here to narrow it down a little!

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Weetabix wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend someone to service a gas boiler (Ideal) in the Dublin 18 area. Please PM me contact details. I have searched the RGII site and their are 27 companies in the D16/D18 area so it would be good if I could get a recommendation from here to narrow it down a little!

Thanks.

Johnnie k or Shane 0007 will look after you. Robbie g might do that part either

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Johnnie k or Shane 0007 will look after you. Robbie g might do that part either

I would do but only in a couple of weeks as I am snowed under at the moment.
    Certainly JohnnieK if he is available. Top service guy but usually very busy too.
    Robbie I don't think would travel that far but them Drogheda fellas would do anything for a few squid! Lol ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Robbie I don't think would travel that far but them Drogheda fellas would do anything for a few squid! Lol ;-)[/quote]

If your saying I'm from Drogheda geography mustn't have been your strong point wrong end of county Louth further north Shane

• Advertisement

Whoops....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

shane0007 wrote: »
    Whoops....

It's ok I'll let you away this time with a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Cheers lads, I have been in contact with gdavis and he is going to do the service.

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Robbie I don't think would travel that far but them Drogheda fellas would do anything for a few squid! Lol ;-)

Why not start a tread with "where we are, who we are" if that's not classed as adds. Area firstly , boards.ie name, and a very brief singular words about what we cover.
    If anybody is adding in their details then post county first if nobody up yet or piggy back onto poster from your county delating previous text so only indivual name and details show.

This is just an idea to let us help each other + the public without to much details. If not allowed or a stupit idea please ignore and forgive me !

If anybody knows how to start this and keep it in a top of the listings please feel free to start it. Ta.

Lets have a vote first by clicking THANKS and mabe some Mod. will start it up or say not allowed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Don't know if I'm posting in the correct place here, but can anyone recommend someone to do a gas boiler repair in the Dublin 9 area?

Boiler hadn't been on for a week as we'd been away. On turning on water heating this morning it tripped the fuse. Turned the boiler to off position and turned it back on, followed by sparks coming from the boiler itself .... and then nothing ... looks like some circuit has been blown somewhere.

A related question - Electric Ireland and Bord Gais do repairs and servicing. Is this a good way to go or are you just paying an unnecessary premium for the brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Phoebas wrote: »
    Don't know if I'm posting in the correct place here, but can anyone recommend someone to do a gas boiler repair in the Dublin 9 area?

Boiler hadn't been on for a week as we'd been away. On turning on water heating this morning it tripped the fuse. Turned the boiler to off position and turned it back on, followed by sparks coming from the boiler itself .... and then nothing ... looks like some circuit has been blown somewhere.

A related question - Electric Ireland and Bord Gais do repairs and servicing. Is this a good way to go or are you just paying an unnecessary premium for the brand?

What make and model boiler is it , it sounds like the pump or fan was seized and possibly blew the pcb

sullzz wrote: »
    What make and model boiler is it , it sounds like the pump or fan was seized and possibly blew the pcb
    Its a Glowworm Micron.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I am not a million miles away if you want to PM me, or JohnnieK may also cover that area.

Yes to the brand premium!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

scudo2 wrote: »
    Why not start a tread with "where we are, who we are" if that's not classed as adds. Area firstly , boards.ie name, and a very brief singular words about what we cover.
    If anybody is adding in their details then post county first if nobody up yet or piggy back onto poster from your county delating previous text so only indivual name and details show.

This is just an idea to let us help each other + the public without to much details. If not allowed or a stupit idea please ignore and forgive me !

If anybody knows how to start this and keep it in a top of the listings please feel free to start it. Ta.

Lets have a vote first by clicking THANKS and mabe some Mod. will start it up or say not allowed ?

Not what I feel this forum, or Boards in general is about.

DGOBS wrote: »
    I am not a million miles away if you want to PM me, or JohnnieK may also cover that area.
    PM sent.

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »

Totaly stupid idea that was rubbished out of boards. And seemed like a stupid idea.
    2 months ago.

Ta for telling me ye all had it already on RGII Tech FFS
    Now I don't feel so stupid for one of my brain waves. !!

A bit more private on RGII Tech ill agree .but no body told me at the time.

Simular great idea on tech . Was all u
    had to say !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

twasnt me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dingoxh

Hi,

Can anyone reccomend a good RGII plumber for a service ona baxi boiler in DUblin 11. I have read this forum with interest and particullarly JohnnieK's opening post about the requiremnts for a proper service taking 1 hour to 1 hour and half. I do not want a cowboy job done on it.

Please PM me if you can

Thanks,

Eoin

JohnnieK would be an excellent choice if you send him a PM. He is not far from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Not sure if this is the right thread for this to be in but.... want to replace Oil central heating with Gas. Gas is 'on the street'. What sort of money are we talking about in general?, just looking for ballpark figures. Take it it will include removal and disposal of old oil tank, piping etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dingoxh

shane0007 wrote: »
    JohnnieK would be an excellent choice if you send him a PM. He is not far from you.

Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this to be in but.... want to replace Oil central heating with Gas. Gas is 'on the street'. What sort of money are we talking about in general?, just looking for ballpark figures. Take it it will include removal and disposal of old oil tank, piping etc?

What part of the country are you in so we can reccomend someone for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Leslie91 wrote: »

You might want to repost this on a new thread as it could generate a lot of off topic replies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

looking to get boiler serviced in Doughuisce galway.

Any suggestions for a good one and rough cost

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

looking to get boiler serviced in Doughuisce galway.

Any suggestions for a good one and rough cost

thanks

Don't know anybody there but look to pay between 80-100 euro. If it's much less I'd avoid it

Advertisement