Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proceedure for servicing a gas boiler

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

ray,there is absolutely no chance that your boiler was serviced properly in 20 minutes!!did you get a certificate of conformance?maybe im slow but it takes me anywhere between an hour and an hour and a half to do full service and occassionally longer if its a mare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭!RAY

Hi gdavis
    Thats all it took. He took cover off and looked around at parts ,hover, c/0 check and done. Now i did get a reading of c/o and a certificate 75 euro. The year before i got it done with board Gais and it took about 35-45 min 195 euro Gold service pack. Reading the northside leader and looking for someone they all seemed about 75 euro. Have seen it lately for 55euro. I don't mind paying the going rate but what is it.I have no experiences of servicing a Boiler. To be honest it seen's tome that the good guys dont have to advertise , the old saying if you get someone good keep them. Probably go back to Board Gais as i wont the job don't right, but it pxxx me off paying for the name.
    Cheers

Gas boiler servicing has become a bit of a farce, their was a time you payed for a service and amazingly enough got a service:eek:, but servicing has become a cash cow used in different ways to make money first and give customer service or value for money second.

To do a service properly takes time and this can't be cheated upon, large companies look for volume restricting service times to 45 minutes and below, they pay their contractor a small amount forcing them to get the numbers in to make any money, B Gais charge €99 for a service and give the contracter €40.

You have the companies that charge €25-€40 for a service and use the cheap price to get in the door then charge more for parts on faults they find;), cheap service expensive repairs.

Lastly you have the gangsters who can turn up anywhere, who do nothing for their(your) money, they open the boiler and fill out a form and move on to the next €€€

I still haven't worked out how Gas has been allowed to become the new favourite industry for fruitloops, chancers and gangsters but anybody wishing to have their boiler serviced should read the first post by JohnnyK to get a idea of a service, then find a good independent and ring them, ask questions about the service and if you don't get answers you like then try someone else.

There are great RGI's out there, but I have to admit it is getting a bit silly with the amount of unskilled out there, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

dont think that by getting bg, it automatically means the job is done correctly!!!my advise would be to ring few rgi's in your area which you can get on website rgii.ie,ask them what their service entails,which they should have no problem with and the ones that mention soundness test,let by test,gas rating,checking burner pressures,and anything else that the manufacturer includes as part of the service plus flue gas analysis are the ones u should consider

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Re Kane analysers AFAIK they only ship them to the UK also, stand to be corrected on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ServiceGuy

I send my 455 to Kane in the UK. Normally turned around within a week. I did get a quote from Maynooth and even with postage and currency exchange it was cheaper direct with Kane. I was actually given a quote which included new sensors which apparently are not required on the Kane 455. Also when it's returned I get a couple of filter cartridges and printer rolls thrown in.

All analysers need sensor replacement at some point, the cells are electrochemical so will drift as they dry out and have a shelf/usage life.
    Some Kanes I believe use CO2 cells rather that O2 cells, which may last longer AFAIK (PS. luv my sprint and the 3 day turn around I get with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Hey Rgi's, with checking out the boiler casing seal, I would have always done a visual and touch inspection on the seal, is there another way to test the boiler casing seal to insure it is making a good air tight seal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

hey guys i have a gerkros gem superior 95 oil boiler im looking to get serviced properly and have looked up the rgi site for where i live here in dunshaughlin ,meath .theres about ten in the nearer locality but hard to know who to pick?just moved into area so no previous knowledge,just looking for recommendations or previous work done ,pm me if you want, thanks guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

bazbrady wrote: »
    hey guys i have a gerkros gem superior 95 oil boiler im looking to get serviced properly and have looked up the rgi site for where i live here in dunshaughlin ,meath .theres about ten in the nearer locality but hard to know who to pick?just moved into area so no previous knowledge,just looking for recommendations or previous work done ,pm me if you want, thanks guys:)

Rgi is for gas. See if they do oil too or try OFTEC website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

johnmolon wrote: »
    I have a boiler and I have been doing that for the last 10 years and it works perfect.

And just how do you know that :confused:

I imagine smart chaps like you know how to fit cookers and generaly give advice on all things gas, you couldn't pm me your contact details could you.

:cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

@ johnmolon please do not post here giving advice & information on breaking the law.
    Posts deleted.We don't feed trolls here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

anthonyos wrote: »
    many of you lads carrying a laptop for boiler manuals

All on the HTC, easyer. And no risk of laptop being swiped out of the van

The manufacturer courses are very hand alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Any advice on getting a broken boiler replaced with a modern boiler? I've so far had three quotes:

1) €2,200 to take out the boiler, put in a new Valiant one, blast out the radiators, put in a filter which I'd have to clean out regularly; requires me to enter a five-year servicing contract.

2) €1,600 for the same thing; this guy was also trying to sell me new radiators.

3) €2,000 for a Bax boiler; this guy says blasting out the radiators can cause big problems in an old system; he says they'd drain the radiators ok, and put in a gadget which would automatically clean the system but I wouldn't have to clean it out. He wouldn't require me to enter a servicing contract with him.

What would be the normal price for this? What's the comparison between Bax and Valiant?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Any advice on getting a broken boiler replaced with a modern boiler? I've so far had three quotes:

1) €2,200 to take out the boiler, put in a new Valiant one, blast out the radiators, put in a filter which I'd have to clean out regularly; requires me to enter a five-year servicing contract.

2) €1,600 for the same thing; this guy was also trying to sell me new radiators.

3) €2,000 for a Bax boiler; this guy says blasting out the radiators can cause big problems in an old system; he says they'd drain the radiators ok, and put in a gadget which would automatically clean the system but I wouldn't have to clean it out. He wouldn't require me to enter a servicing contract with him.

What would be the normal price for this? What's the comparison between Bax and Valiant?

No. 2 The 1600 does seem too good to be true. What boiler is he installing for 1600?

How old is your heating system ?
    Is it copper or gun barrel ?
    If it is gun barel you could be asking for trouble by power flushing it.

1600 seems cheap if installing likes of a magnaflow too, be much closer to 2000.

and id tell anyone trying to get ya to sign up to a servicing contract to flog off.

i presume you mean baxi, in which case there a good boiler

jimjimt wrote: »
    No. 2 The 1600 does seem too good to be true. What boiler is he installing for 1600?

How old is your heating system ?
    Is it copper or gun barrel ?
    If it is gun barel you could be asking for trouble by power flushing it.

I got the boiler installed in 1989 or 1990, as far as I remember.

There are copper pipes; sorry, I don't know what gun barrel means.

At this stage I'm half thinking that with the price of gas going up and up, I might be better off to get a solid fuel stove upstairs that would run radiators, if this is possible without the stove being huge.

I got the boiler installed in 1989 or 1990, as far as I remember.

There are copper pipes; sorry, I don't know what gun barrel means.

At this stage I'm half thinking that with the price of gas going up and up, I might be better off to get a solid fuel stove upstairs that would run radiators, if this is possible without the stove being huge.

you need a open vented boiler then,

in my opinion trying to heat the house with a stove is wasteful, use the oil/gas to heat the water half hour or so. then use the stove to maintain the heat. much smaller fire then your not trying to have huge fires to heat the water.

and as for installing that depends on the house

corkgsxr wrote: »
    you need a open vented boiler then,

in my opinion trying to heat the house with a stove is wasteful, use the oil/gas to heat the water half hour or so. then use the stove to maintain the heat. much smaller fire then your not trying to have huge fires to heat the water.

and as for installing that depends on the house

What's an open vented boiler?

The last guy who was here quoting said the condensing boiler had to have some water piped off outside into the shore.

What's an open vented boiler?

The last guy who was here quoting said the condensing boiler had to have some water piped off outside into the shore.

so boilers need to be pressureised some can be open vented with small tank in the attic.

id say get someone to look at putting in the stove and they could tell ya if you can or not

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    so boilers need to be pressureised some can be open vented with small tank in the attic.

id say get someone to look at putting in the stove and they could tell ya if you can or not

Ah, I see. A tank in the attic seems a little crazy, as the boiler's way down in the kitchen.

I think you need to review your whole house. Room by room. Get it zoned and controls installed. That should be your first step. Along with getting it flushed and cleaned.
    Zone 1 Hot Water.
    Zone 2 Ground Floor.
    Zone 3 First Floor.
    If your system is copper it should be okay for a flush and clean. Like everything a view and survey reveals all. Also a pressure test to insure it is leak free.

Most people install the new boiler first. Which has very little savings if the house is not zoned properly with controls.

Most new gas boilers have a small channel heat exchanger. A flush and clean is vital for their survival. A magna filter or similar on its own may not be enough to keep it from getting clogged. Also all gas boiler manufactures insist on a flush and clean for warranty. If you do not do it no warranty from day 1.

When gas boiler manufactures give an extended warranty as 3-5 years you must get it serviced by their approved installer. As in someone who attend their training course. Hence the contract. The contract as such does not have to be signed it can be as simple as will your service my boiler next year. Keeping the warranty valid.

Most people put in the stove and end up paying more for coal and sticks and it will never heat the whole house in full like gas and oil will.

You can combine the stove with the use of an heat exchanger. Keeping the gas pressurized and the stove open vented.
    You will also need to change your hot water cylinder to a dual coil to combine both systems safely.

You really need someone who is able to combine both system. Do not hire one guy to install the stove an another to install the gas. If something goes wrong one will blame the other.

@jimjimt This all sounds like great advice. Unfortunately, it also sounds like the advice I'd give to a flaithiúlach millionaire, and I'm neither just at the moment, though of course this may change.

However, a couple of questions, if you'd be so kind. When you talk about zoning, what do you mean?

And what's a heat exchanger?

My system was changed a couple of years ago so that the radiators do heat up the immersion a little when they're working. However, we're not using the radiators at all at the moment, and are scarcely using the immersion, so this is academic.

You're right, just about, on the comparative cost of gas and wood/coal/turf at the moment, but since gas prices are soaring every day, it may be time to leave it behind.

We are all waiting for the lotto, big q.

It is hard to do it all the one day. Its more of planning your house for the future. Zoning and controls are a good move. No matter if your choice for now is to get a stove or gas boiler. At least you will have more question to ask an installer if they are working on your house.

A heat exchanger is a unit that transfer heat from one to source to the another without sources mixing. Give heat exchanger a google and look at google images.

Nothing cheap about any fuel. Coal and timber do tend to rise a little when gas and oil rise.

Plenty of research and planning.

Quote No.1 does comply with manufactures warranties. So something consider.

Hah, I'll consider it up the wazoo! But acting on it is another matter!

How does this zoning biz work? Physically, I mean.

Oh, the heat exchanger is the kind of thing used in geothermal heating? I was interested in that (geothermal) a couple of years ago, but put it aside for two reasons:

a) what do you think I am, a millionaire?

b) horror stories by the million about installations that didn't work; one cost the poor sod who'd ordered it €60,000.

Oh, the heat exchanger is the kind of thing used in geothermal heating? I was interested in that (geothermal) a couple of years ago, but put it aside for two reasons:

Heat exchangers are in most modern boilers gas and oil. You can also use a heat exchanger to combine a solid fuel system to a gas or oil pressurized system in these cases nothing to do with geothermal.

System Link
    How does this zoning biz work? Physically, I mean.

You split your house into heating zone with use of motorized valves, time clocks and thermostats. So no matter what your heat source is, it is not heating all your house at once. Saving on fuel.

Danfoss

Their always will be horror stories in installations. That is why you have to interview your installers. The cheapest price can be the most expensive.

Ah yes, I understand now!

You always hear horror stories, but these were friends and friends-of-friends.

Now you can see the value in gathering information.
    So when you decide what is the best move for you perhaps you can start to make your heating system more modular and ready for the next move in the future.

Now you know it is possible to combine a solid fuel stove and a gas boiler. You have to decide which is the best move for you.

At least if a installer says it cant be done, you know it can. You have to decide does this installer really knows what he is talking about.

Hers is another method,

Dunsley

That looks like two immersion heaters....?

• Advertisement

Think ye should open a new thread for this subject, as very off topic for the 'servicing' sticky

Advertisement