Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDS V Mir

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks like I got some thinking to do... I'm afraid to bet on Mir as I really want him to win and people usually lose when I bet on them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

davemc180 wrote: »
    i hope mir breaks his arm, i dont understand why hes so under rated in this fight....

i have mir to win this by 1st round submission!!!

alot of people said congo had far superior stand up then mir and he was dropped, an if mir has any chance to submit jds its game over!!

Why would anyone hope this? I don't get it. Breaking his arm will put him out of UFC for months and months. If you don't like the guy you could just say 'I hope he loses or get's KO'd'.

After watching Primetime part 2 and seeing JDS' training and how he does 5 - 5 minute rounds, each with a different fresh opponent, I just can't see Mir getting the win.

If it goes the distance (which I seriously doubt it will) I think Junior has much, much better cardio and will be able to stuff every take down that Mir throws at him all the mean while eating a shot on the way in and out.

Prediction: JDS 1st round KO/TKO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Looks like I got some thinking to do... I'm afraid to bet on Mir as I really want him to win and people usually lose when I bet on them.
    Ha, I've never bet on a winner in my life and I've a tenner on Mir. Night night Mir :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I like JDS, he's a solid guy, seems ridiculously down to earth and like a really nice person.

What I don't get is the idea that he's this untouchable super fighter. For me, he's shown he can beat almost anyone on his day. But there are tonnes of fighters like that, but JDS for me hasn't shown he's unbeatable. Not just yet anyway!

JDS will this fight, but largely because Mir's days of being a serious Champion are way behind him. Even if Mir pulls it off, he'll hardly be Champion for years and years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Wishing such a serious injury on a fighter is quite stupid IMO.

I want an entertaining fight that the fighters can be proud of, and that won't set them back a number of months in training.

As for how it's going to run, can only see a JDS KO in the first round (it's 3/10 for JDS KO/TKO on PP for christ sake :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

anyone remember Ian the Machine beating the sh1t outa Mir when he was twelve years older and 30 lbs lighter than Mir in Brawl at the Hall! The machine was in animal condition for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I agree with the general opinion that JDS will probably win by ko, but Mir does have a chance IF he gets it to the ground. If Mir is to win, I think he'll do it by sub. Can't really see past a JDS win though.
    Mir is 5/1 for the sub on PP by the way. Pretty decent odds considering Mirs bjj skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is how Frank sees the fight happening. Looks like he is trying the ol' Werdum technique. Cmon Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrr

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--frank-mir--junior-dos-santos-only-has-a-punchers-chance.html
    When I visualize the fight, I see it playing out something like this. We'll start off boxing for a little while, Junior will use his speed to try and get me out of there with punches, and he may even catch me with one or two. At that point I hit the deck, he'll rush into finish me – thinking I'm hurt – and I'll surprise him and catch him with something. Junior's tap will arrive fairly quickly, and the title belt will be wrapped around my waist not long after. That's how I'm picturing Saturday night …

Love love the trailer for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

a bet on mir, bigfoot, big country and lavar johnson is 50/1, big odds, think its worth a fiver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

524409_10150802513483196_718538195_10125476_1401915111_n.jpg

A lot of changing to this card. Ultimately I'm disappointed that Overeem isn't here, but i'm also glad he was caught. All heavyweights on the main card.

Main card
    Heavyweight Championship bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs. Frank Mir

Originally we had the best boxer in JDS verses the best Kickboxer in Overeem. A bit of a change up in JDS training would of been needed as he now faces the best BJJ practitioner in Mir. JDS is no slouch on the ground, as brown belt under the Nogueira bros, but Mir everyone remembers what Mir did to Big Nog
    2.gif
    I think Mir will come out standing and after about 2 tentative minutes try for a take down. JDS is smart and has the ability to dictate where this fight happens. If he does that he wins easily via second round TKO. He only way he gets caught is if he tries a submission win. Which will prob earn him his blackbelt. A lot of Brazilians are patriotic to a fault, especially around BJJ. JDS' grappling coach recently said in an interview that Mir wasn't the best at BJJ because he was American.
    How ever, JDS comes across as a smart guy and I don't think he'll be bothered with that route.
    Odds: JDS to win 1/5, JDS by TKO 4/10

Heavyweight bout:Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva
    I'm a big Cain fan. I was disgusted when JDS dropped him, and also by the way the media did afterwards. He was written off based on one KO, which is ridiculous at that level. Big foot is an ape who upset the world by beating Fedor, if he came straight into the Octagon after that there would be some value on Cain, but bigfoot lost in the interim to daniel Cormier the new SF champ. I'm predicting Cain by late second round TKO.
    Odds: Cain to win 1/4, via TKO 4/6

Heavyweight bout: Roy Nelson vs. Dave Herman
    Roy Nelson doesn't look like much, overweight with a face that resembles Alan from the Hangover. Dave Herman has an impressive record and normally puts guys away. Roy however has a concrete chin. He's only be stopped once, by Andrei Arlovski, and in the past has held on to knock out a gassing opponent. Which is what i think happens here. Nelson also has severely underrated submissions.
    However, at 2/5, I don't think its worth a punt.

Heavyweight bout: Shane del Rosario vs. Stipe Miočić
    Two lesser known fighters, you could be forgiven for thinking that its a card filler. looking closer they are 11-0 and 8-0 respectively and both have a habit of finishing fights with their fists. The bookies favourite is Miocic, but I think they are righting off the Del Rosario too easy, maybe because its his UFC debut having previously fought in Strikeforce. I won't invest much, but I like 11/8 on Del Rosario.
    Odds: Shane del Rosario 11/8

Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Lavar Johnson
    Lavar Johnson has been vicious. Struve will have a big reach advantage, but I don't think it'll work here. Lavar will get in close and lay off short punches, and then catch him with a big overhand as Struve backs out. This one has split the bookies, evens available for Johnson at paddy power and for Struve from boyles. I think Johnson represents value here.

Preliminary card (FX)

Featherweight bout: Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins
    Recent TUF winner. Showed vicious stand up in all his bouts, then reminded everyone of the BJJ with a very nice armbar.
    I don't think you'll get worthwhile odds on this guy, if at all. I said months ago, before the TUF win, that he'll be fighting Aldo in the future.

Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza vs. Jamie Varner
    Barboza is a one of the best strikers to watch. Responsible for probably the best knock out I've seen.
    barbosa-etim0e1q2.gif
    Odds: Barboza 1/5, by TKO

Middleweight bout: Jason Miller vs. C.B. Dollaway
    This is a WWE style loser leaves town match. Both on a bad run. Dollaway losing here would be the end of him. Miller has a media presence and a win here could work him back onto a main card. Miller hopefully sorted his cardio. Miller edges this one by decision.

Welterweight bout: Dan Hardy vs. Duane Ludwig
    Hardy has had an bad run of four loses. Which normally ends a fighters UFC career. But if you look at the fights he lost. GSP, Conduit, Rumble Johnson and Lytle. It's a different picture. Hopefully he put that behind him and gets the W here. If he loses he's out. grind out a decision here Dan.

Preliminary card (Facebook)

Lightweight bout: Jacob Volkmann vs. Paul Sass
    By submission

Light Heavyweight bout: Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira
    By TKO

Featherweight bout:Mike Brown vs. Daniel Pineda
    By Decision

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Didn't get to watch the second episode of Primetime yet but why does Mir have Dan Hardy involved in his S&C? Hardy has to be cut if looses this fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I actually feel sorry for bigfoot, facing Cain who is coming off a big loss and probably seething at the fact that everyone has written him off becuase of said loss, cain will not lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Cain is a class act - hope nobody has written him off... but he will be so fukcin angry after that KO... he's going to tear Big Foot a new asshole... Big Foot is just a big lump who uses his advantages well enough but he's no classy fighter... hope Cain reasserts his class. I rank him so far ahead of Mir its not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

love the price on johnson at evens or 5/4 by ko/tko(lads)
    im a bit worried if struve manages to get him to the ground though
    you wouldnt think by looking at both of them that struve only
    has a 2inch reach advantage
    I see johnson knocking out struve

really looking forward to seeing prices on the cb mayhem bout
    im finding it hard to price that one but am hoping mayhem
    is favourite so i can have a bet on dolloway

As for mir jds, jds wins this easily
    frank wont get jds down and i see jds stopping mir in the 2nd round
    i cant see anything but a one sided match

cant wait to see brandao also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Regarding Hardy being cut if he loses: They say the UFC is coming to Nottingham later in the year, if it is then Hardy will definitely be on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Didn't get to watch the second episode of Primetime yet but why does Mir have Dan Hardy involved in his S&C? Hardy has to be cut if looses this fight.

I wouldnt read too much into the training on the primetime shows, if we go by that Mir has trained for this fight by runnin up a hill(badly), rolling round on the mats with his kids and smoking cubans. Would love Mir to win, his fights are generally entertaining and his cocky persona is funny. i wouldn't write him off as easy as everyone else is

Yeah Hardy would have to get the chop, pity, cause hes entertaining too

prices out on some of the prelims
    as expected brandao very short at 2/7

mayhem is 4/6 and cb is 11/10 (only checked pp so far)

i know mayhem cant possibly be as bad this time round and
    maybe im writing him off but dolloway is no slouch and that
    looks value to me
    theres surely a risk of cb getting cut after losing two in a row
    so he'll surely leave it all out there

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mailburner wrote: »
    prices out on some of the prelims
    as expected brandao very short at 2/7
    He's avail at 4/11 from others which is a great price imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Cain is looking slimmer than ever, he looks good for this fight, hoping he can get the W this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Kind of hoping Mir wins for two reasons.

I'm biased towards submission guys for one and secondly what was that nonsense Junior was saying about him not being a man and not able to come back from a bad situation. All he has to do is look to the fight where his coach got his arm broke. He can't believe that rubbish, maybe Franks right saying he's just trying to hype up the fight?

Reastically Junior should win with his footwork and not letting Mir clinch with him.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Kind of hoping Mir wins for two reasons.

I'm biased towards submission guys for one and secondly what was that nonsense Junior was saying about him not being a man and not able to come back from a bad situation. All he has to do is look to the fight where his coach got his arm broke. He can't believe that rubbish, maybe Franks right saying he's just trying to hype up the fight?

Reastically Junior should win with his footwork and not letting Mir clinch with him.

He might've been talking about the likes of the Brock fight when he SEEMED to give up and curl up in a ball.

Although maybe nobody has told him that Mir was almost killed in that crash and completely f*cked up his femur and all of his knee ligiments and STILL managed to come back to such a high level!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He might've been talking about the likes of the Brock fight when he SEEMED to give up and curl up in a ball.

Although maybe nobody has told him that Mir was almost killed in that crash and completely f*cked up his femur and all of his knee ligiments and STILL managed to come back to such a high level!

I believe the specific incident Junior said on the primetime was against Shane Carwin. For me, that's nothing like giving up, it's not like he tapped from strikes he just got knocked senseless.

Didn't see Primetime yet however his answer to Ariel on mmafighting interview was flakey.

Have changed my mind a few times on who I think will win this one. Have JDS for his stand up and think his takedown defence will be primed for testing, would be happy to be wrong though. Not a hope I'll bet on this one.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I believe the specific incident Junior said on the primetime was against Shane Carwin. For me, that's nothing like giving up, it's not like he tapped from strikes he just got knocked senseless.

Very true i remember seeing that now and hearing him talk about Carwin!

But at the same time, I think sometimes things said during a build up to a fight should really be taken with a pinch of salt. Whatever gets you into the best "mode" for finishing the guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Didn't see Primetime yet however his answer to Ariel on mmafighting interview was flakey.

Have changed my mind a few times on who I think will win this one. Have JDS for his stand up and think his takedown defence will be primed for testing, would be happy to be wrong though. Not a hope I'll bet on this one.

The big problem is Mir is not great at takedown's-not bad from the clinch but his shot is useless and i just don't see him having the speed to even get into the clinch.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Yeah meant more the clinch take down which won't be easy when eating shots from JDS.

Can't wait for this card. All the fighters look in good shape most of them weighting lighting that they have recently. Heavyweight division looking a hell of lot better than it did 2 years ago.

Mellor wrote: »
    He's avail at 4/11 from others which is a great price imo.

great price

easy money that is

Weigh ins start at 11pm GMT on Facebook, I think.

Make that 12pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

cowzerp wrote: »
    The big problem is Mir is not great at takedown's-not bad from the clinch but his shot is useless and i just don't see him having the speed to even get into the clinch.

Yup.

Junior is a master of takedown defence. Really see this one staying on the feet.

Advertisement