Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDS V Mir

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

ugh like 8 minutes in before I realized you linked to part 2.

Here's part 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

bah its episode 1 in 2 parts.

I want the 2nd episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Masked Man wrote: »
    ugh like 8 minutes in before I realized you linked to part 2.

Here's part 1.

ha, ditto.. I watched the entire thing before I realised... I was thinking to myself "are they not going to mention Overeem at all?"

Now to watch part 1..

Mir dos Santos is a tough one to call.

I'd say Dos Santos by second round kneebar or footlock. (doesn't get much more random than that :P)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Mir inside minute 1 by flying gogoplata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hopefully Mir will take his head out of his ass and realises that he can't stand with Dos Santos.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hopefully Mir will take his head out of his ass and realises that he can't stand with Dos Santos.
    When has he ever suggested he can stand with him?

Mir has said that preparing for JDS is easier than preparing fior Cain (for reactionary types notice he said preparing, not fighting). JDS has brilliant boxing and Mir has said this is his weapon of choice. and that he has got the wrestling credentials of Cain that make the ground game tougher.
    JDS is no BJJ slouch, but Mir is far better and will obviously be looking to take the game there.

If JDS can somehow pull of a legit sub (outside of GnP to RNC or Arm triangle) he'll prob be guaranteed his black belt from Nog.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Dermighty wrote: »
    Mir dos Santos is a tough one to call.

I'd say Dos Santos by second round kneebar or footlock. (doesn't get much more random than that :P)

Wat?

jayteecork wrote: »
    Wat?

I was suggesting a victory that's fairly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

JJayoo wrote: »

if theres a fighter with his head up his ass its Mir-but i like him, hes one of my favourite fighters, i think his cockiness and arrogance is pretty funny. He doesnt look like hes moving too quick so i would be worried for him. I was watching the first fight with Lesner when Mir was a bit lighter and i think that Mir would do better against JDS, than this slow, bulked up version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Mellor wrote: »

Mir has said that preparing for JDS is easier than preparing fior Cain (for reactionary types notice he said preparing, not fighting). JDS has brilliant boxing and Mir has said this is his weapon of choice. and that he has got the wrestling credentials of Cain that make the ground game tougher.
    JDS is no BJJ slouch, but Mir is far better and will obviously be looking to take the game there.

If JDS can somehow pull of a legit sub (outside of GnP to RNC or Arm triangle) he'll prob be guaranteed his black belt from Nog

In the Octagon when Mir is still there hopefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cmon Miiiiiiiiiir!! The problem with Frank is that gameplan tends to go out the window as soon as the fight starts. He stands with people he really shouldn't. Hopefully he will take it to the ground and really work the subs but I can just picture him getting in the clinch and having JDS work his chin.

Would be beaming if Mir was the HW champ again but the odds are stacked against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Is Mir even training standup? Look like he has nobody to spar with in his Gym only his kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

Mellor wrote: »

http://bjpenn.com/touch/single.php?p=24928&t=Frank+Mir+Planning+On+Standing+With+Dos+Santos

Seems as though hes planning on standing with him for the first round or so...

Dodgy game plan from Mir

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tower08 wrote: »
    http://bjpenn.com/touch/single.php?p=24928&t=Frank+Mir+Planning+On+Standing+With+Dos+Santos

Seems as though hes planning on standing with him for the first round or so...

Dodgy game plan from Mir
    I rarely believe the stuff fighters say during the build up. I think thats very true of Mir. "You weren't hitting hard Brock" lol GTFO

Although, Mir's gameplan has been questionable before but the above article is kinda at odds with an interview I already read from him. If he comes standing, its only to hide the takedown attempt. He'll strike cautiously for 2m20s, then shoot for the leg.

Mark Hunt is out of his fight with Struve, good thing he didn't replace Overeem.
    Lavar Johnson steps in as a replacement.
    Link
    Lavar Johnson is getting another big opportunity.

A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Johnson (17-5 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is expected to replace Mark Hunt (8-7 MMA, 3-1 UFC) in a heavyweight bout against Stefan Struve (23-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) at UFC 146, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Hunt declined comment when contacted today. The reason for his withdrawal is unknown.

The "Super Samoan" was recently the subject of hardcore fanfare when Alistair Overeem's failed drug test opened the possibility of an opening opposite champ Junior Dos Santos. Although he picked up plenty of Twitter followers with a #RallyforMarkHunt Twitter campaign, Hunt fell short to Frank Mir, who now faces off with Dos Santos.

Johnson is fresh off his second network-televised fight, a first-round TKO over Pat Barry at UFC on FOX 3 that further solidified his status as one to watch in the UFC heavyweight division. It took him one round to dispatch Joey Beltran in his octagon debut at UFC on FOX 2.

At just 24 years old, Struve has already fought 10 times in the octagon and is closing in on 30 total career contests. The 6-foot-11 fighter is 4-1 in his past five fights, with the lone loss coming to Travis Browne. His wins during that run have come over Dave Herman, Pat Barry, McCorkle and Christian Morecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mark Hunt is out of his fight with Struve, good thing he didn't replace Overeem.
    Lavar Johnson steps in as a replacement.
    Link

I like that fight. Johnson has really impressed me since he came to the UFC and it'll be interesting to see how he handles the long reach of Struve. He's a ko machine!
    I'll predict another big ko for Johnson and we may even see this again...........

struve.gif

Lavar looks viscous. Couldn't believe the amount of punishment pat Barry took before the ref stopped it.

I think the skyscraper is going to get seriously hurt in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Someone on sherdog predicted the post-fight interview, check this out, he did a great job

Rogan: All right I'm here with the champion, Junior dos Santos, Junior, fantastic performance tonight, you just defeated one of the best heavyweights ever in Frank Mir, tell us how you're feeling right now.

JDS: I'm feeling awesome, Frank Mir is a tough opponent, for sure he is one of the best but I trained very hard for this fight and I knew I could knock him out.

Rogan: You caught him with a powerful right hand, let's look at the screen, talk us through what was going on here.

JDS: Yeah for sure, Frank Mir is southpaw so I had to hit him with a counter when he came in with the hook, that was my opportunity and I knocked him out. I want to thank all of you guys, I'm very happy to be here, also I'd like to thank my coaches, Minotauro Nogueira, Rogério, Team Nogueira, Academia Champion, love you guys.

Rogan: All right I'm here with Frank, Frank, obviously you're disappointed, but you lost to possibly one of the most powerful strikers ever, and definitely the best boxer ever in the heavyweight division, tell us how you're feeling right now.

Mir: Well yeah, Junior is a fantastic fighter, my hat's off to him, I knew he was dangerous on the feet but I had confidence in my skills and tried to stand with him for a while. But yeah he's great.

Rogan: Was that your gameplan coming into this fight?

Mir: Well I thought I could hold my own on the feet for a while, but I knew eventually I had to take this fight to the ground, I have superior grappling skills and superior submission skills overall. I knew if the fight hit the ground I would have a major edge, but it just didn't happen, congratulations to Dos Santos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

haha that's gas you start doin the voices in your head as you're readin it ...
    and pretty much the way it's gona happen I reckon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

i think MIR will win JDS in round 1 by TKO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

TrafficBug wrote: »
    i think MIR will win. JDS in round 1 by TKO

FYP

Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

i hope mir breaks his arm, i dont understand why hes so under rated in this fight....

i have mir to win this by 1st round submission!!!

alot of people said congo had far superior stand up then mir and he was dropped, an if mir has any chance to submit jds its game over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Mir will throw some predictable stand up and take 'some' punishment to set JDS up for a throw 'attempt' against the cage coz his single/double shots are not gona do it. JDS will try to use footwork and stay out of Mirs sweaty manboobs long enough to catch Mir like he tried with Big Country who waded forward taking punishment more than Frank will be able to, because the guy's a war horse. Mir HAS to get JDS on the deck sharpish or this will be his last HW contention. Respect him for having most number of wins in UFC HW ever, impressive, but I still hate the guy... and his stupid face... and his stupid hair... and his stupid long complicated words...and small awkward ones.... I'm not fighter bashin he just annoys the crap outa me like he's Sun Tzu and Miyamoto Musashi all rolled up in one. JDS TKO >3mins, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lads, I was just checking Paddy Power and need some advice. Putting a tenner down for Mir and Bigfoot to win to return 180 quid. Yeah it's a long shot but anything can happen with the heavyweights.

Singles gets me 85 euro while doubles gets me 180. Whats the difference between doubles and singles? Does singles mean if only 1 wins i get 80 euro where as doubles both have to win to get a payout?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

davemc180 wrote: »
    i hope mir breaks his arm, i dont understand why hes so under rated in this fight....

i have mir to win this by 1st round submission!!!

alot of people said congo had far superior stand up then mir and he was dropped, an if mir has any chance to submit jds its game over!!

Mir has to get the fight to the floor to use his grappling and his wrestling is not that great-He will be like a punch bag if he can't get it to the ground and get knocked out-I really don't think he'll get it to the floor so can't see anything other than a KO 1st round win for Dos Santos

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Lads, I was just checking Paddy Power and need some advice. Putting a tenner down for Mir and Bigfoot to win to return 180 quid. Yeah it's a long shot but anything can happen with the heavyweights.

Singles gets me 85 euro while doubles gets me 180. Whats the difference between doubles and singles? Does singles mean if only 1 wins i get 80 euro where as doubles both have to win to get a payout?

Singles is 2 seperate bets as far as I know. Doubles is one bet on both fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

sheehy83 wrote: »

Double needs both lines ( Mir and bigfoot) to win, if only one wins you get nothing. Larger return for larger odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cowzerp wrote: »
    Mir has to get the fight to the floor to use his grappling and his wrestling is not that great-He will be like a punch bag if he can't get it to the ground and get knocked out-I really don't think he'll get it to the floor so can't see anything other than a KO 1st round win for Dos Santos

Same. I see that uppercut Dos Santos throws from Brazil connecting nice & hard

• Advertisement

Tenner would get you 216 back on that double from Boyle Sports.

Advertisement