Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Katie Taylor Ireland best athlete

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Anyone know what time they arrive at dublin airport tomorrow? Would love to go and cheer her on (in a non stalker type way???? Or is even asking that question passing that line??)

5.35pm said daragh moloney this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    She only has to win one game at the Olympics to win a medal, couldn't be easier :pac:

which is part of the reward for winning today.

she said she would rather not have a bye but get fighting as soon as she could.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    She only has to win one game at the Olympics to win a medal, couldn't be easier :pac:

Yes, them 6 or 7 years to get to London we can forget about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Congrats to Katie on her win today, delighted for her.
    Is it likely that she will turn pro after the Olympics? If so how would she be expected to fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Congrats to Katie on her win today, delighted for her.
    Is it likely that she will turn pro after the Olympics? If so how would she be expected to fare?

I doubt it tbh. It's not a popular sport(woman's pro boxing) and even if she did she would never make much money as its not popular. I would say if she wins gold she will retire. She is 26 and she has been training really hard for the past good few years. So I think she deserves a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

I doubt it tbh. It's not a popular sport(woman's pro boxing) and even if she did she would never make much money as its not popular. I would say if she wins gold she will retire. She is 26 and she has been training really hard for the past good few years. So I think she deserves a break.

Retirement, Katie Taylor at 26? Don't know what has given you this impression, doesn't ring true at all, not from my impression of her anyway, boxing is her life and she is as proud as punch to represent her country. You're right in one sense though in that if anyone deserves a break it's Katie. Here's to seeing her raising the tricolour for many more years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

i see Katie is now 1/4 to win gold she had been 2/5 early in the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Not at all. Suppose she wins gold in London, what's to stop her trying to win gold again in Rio and become a legend of boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

04072511 wrote: »
    Not at all. Suppose she wins gold in London, what's to stop her trying to win gold again in Rio and become a legend of boxing?

I know where you are coming from and I'm not doubting Katie's ability(I think she is brilliant) but she would be 30 then and from years of training it will all catch up with her. And lets say she happens to get her period in Rio, that could have devastating effects on her performance. Tbh I would say honestly, if she wins gold she will retire and if not she will go for one more European or World title and then retire. I cannot see her still going at 30. As much as I would love to see her, it's not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Wotzgoingon, she won't retire-that is beyond silly, this is her favourite thing in the world to do and her life-she has a choice to go pro and I say to replace Bernard Dunne as the new star of Irish pro boxing or to keep going and win many more titles and end any debate of who's the best.

Retirement is not an option

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Katie has gotten to the top in 2 sports and represented Ireland at the highest level in both. If Damien Duff packed in football in 2001/2002 and then went on to win 4 world titles in a row in boxing, he would be lauded as the greatest Irish sportsman of all time. But when a woman does it, it is because it is 'easy' to do it.

Katie has done this, a lot of people forget she was a top quality football international. She is our greatest athlete of all time. Plain and simple.

And lets say she happens to get her period in Rio, that could have devastating effects on her performance. .

Can you explain exactly what you mean here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

And lets say she happens to get her period in Rio, that could have devastating effects on her performance.

Sweet lamb of jaysus :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »
    Can you explain exactly what you mean here?
    Dodge wrote: »
    Sweet lamb of jaysus :eek::rolleyes:

By his logic she would be useless 1 out of every 4 weeks!!

it's a crazy statement and totally unfounded.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    By his logic she would be useless 1 out of every 4 weeks!!

it's a crazy statement and totally unfounded.

I shouldn't, but had to giggle to this. You worded that quite funnily.:)

Yes, what was going thru the posters mind to predict such an event in 2016?

Advertisement