Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrific Footage of Homeless Schizophrenic beaten by cops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Johro wrote: »
    Except you couldn't be more wrong.
    It's pretty obvious to everyone else that excessive force was used, to put it mildly. To put it factually, they battered a vulnerable person to death.

It was obvious to everyone that OJ was a dead cert for that murder charge. It was obvious to everyone that those evil cops murdered Amado Diallo yet they were acquitted. It was obvious to everyone that treyvon was gunned down by an angry white guy who turned out to be hispanic. Obvious to everyone don't mean sh**t in these scenarios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

MagicSean wrote: »
    You don't consider that unfortunate?

Describing that man's violent death as 'unfortunate' is a bit like describing a beheading as a 'flesh wound'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bambi wrote: »
    You're the one throwing the accusations around so I'm assuming that you should have a handle on what they are in this case. Or that you at least know the difference between things like noncompliance, resistance and assault.

.....emm, hang on a tic -
    So now that I've told you that, you show me where in that video they exceeded their use of force matrix

.....that implies specific knowledge on your part.

Not really, I just find it funny that people think their oh-the-humanity-that's-so-waffles response to seeing a guy being beaten is in anyway as valid as an understanding of the relevant laws or use of force matrix that the cops were operating under.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78586903

and you're the one here slagging off people for not knowing the "use of force matrix".

Are you saying that you don't know?
    So yeah, nodin so us where this skinny fella was assaulting the coppers, as opposed to resisting as opposed to complying I can't see what he's doing in the the same way i cant see them smacking him in the head with a torch or crushing his larynx

.....I never read Joyce. Anyhoo - what is it you're trying to get at there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Homeless, alone and beaten to death by people who should have been protecting him. Rest in peace poor man, my heart has just broken for you :(

That doesn't prove that they didn't do what they were trained to.

While its possible they're trained to beat grounded people to a pulp when they have a large number of fellow officers in support, its unlikely, as doubtless somebody would have mentioned the large number of "previous" at the door of this department by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Why yes , yes I am telling you that cops might not be able to handle some people, there's tons of precedent for it.

They have him pinned down in the video. Precedent or not, they seemed to be controlling him fairly well at that stage.
    So now that I've told you that, you show me where in that video they exceeded their use of force matrix? Fourth time of asking. It should be easy peesy. :confused:

Show me this "force matrix" then and I will.
    I see a skinny guy managing to resist a half dozen cops, stay on his back and take multiple tazers shots.

I see some beefy cops holding down a skinny guy, who doesn't even seem to have a pair of shoes on. Muhammad Ali he ain't.
    You'll also hear a cop stating that he's on something. I'm guessing that this guy might have actually been on something :eek:

According to tallus your guess is incorrect. :)
    What was that you were saying about notions earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

It was obvious to everyone that OJ was a dead cert for that murder charge. It was obvious to everyone that those evil cops murdered Amado Diallo yet they were acquitted. It was obvious to everyone that treyvon was gunned down by an angry white guy who turned out to be hispanic. Obvious to everyone don't mean sh**t in these scenarios
    Unless you have actual footage of the incident. I thought that was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Violent scene is shocking shock :eek:

How not to get beaten up by de coppers 101:

Do: comply with lawful directions.

Don't: tell them your sick of being told what to do and then run off

Thats not how to avoid being beaten by cops thats how to avoid getting beaten by brainless thugs who have no business being in uniform.

The new york and la cops have a nasty reputation and its well deserved. Apart from those states I found the american cops quite friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Yeah, I'm amazed at the predictability of the internet sometimes, this is about as black and white as you can get.

However, you just knew that there would be someone trying to defend the indefensible, in the face of video evidence ????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The new york and la cops have a nasty reputation and its well deserved. Apart from those states I found the american cops quite friendly.

Trying to be smart with a cop is not good idea,
    they have all the power, Anyone who thinks they can get one over a bunch of cops is a idiot,
    Just do as they say, And it would not come to what happened in video,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

They repeatedly told him to do the same thing over and over. i would take this to mean he was not doing it.

Dear god..............I cannot believe I just read this comment from someone who has presumably watched the same CCTV footage that I have.:confused::confused:

What exactly do you mean by it??
    You cannot mean that they were justified or right to proceed in the manner that they did because he couldn't physically manage to put his hands behind his back since 2 of the fat Baxtards were sitting on feckin top of him!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Jess16 wrote: »
    Homeless, alone and beaten to death by people who should have been protecting him. Rest in peace poor man, my heart has just broken for you :(

Same here. Very disturbing and distressing to watch. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

It must be a requirement in california to be a fat incompetent fcuk to join the police. This crazy episode is just one of many mind boggling mess undertaken by members of the california police force.

Twist it with what ever means of naive or warped rational you rely on, this was wrong, this was brutal, this was not needed. Max 3 competent persons would have properly delt with this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

I'm dealing in fact my good fellow, other posters are dealing in emotion. Right is right regardless of numbers. :)

Fact eh? I asked a friend of mine who is a cop in Milwaukee and he has seen the video and he said excessive force was clearly used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

argosy2006 wrote: »
    they have all the power, Anyone who thinks they can get one over a bunch of cops is a idiot,

The man did not deserve what he got cos he was being smart. They killed him and should be brought to justice just like any other normal citizen would if they acted like that when someone gets smart with them!!!

CoachTO wrote: »
    Fact eh? I asked a friend of mine who is a cop in Milwaukee and he has seen the video and he said excessive force was clearly used.

No flies on him. Gold star indeed.

A retarded monkey with cataracts could come to the same conclusion :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Why is there even any debate? There's absolutely no defense or justification for what those armed scumbags did.

Why is there even any debate? There's absolutely no defense or justification for what those armed scumbags did.

Because people are idiots

He was a man with a severe mental condition.

'Just do as the cops say, and you won't end up beaten to death'. Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You're effectively blaming the victim with that statement.

Even if the guy was threatening kill them with his bare hands the cops should be able to restrain him without beating him to death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

:mad: The instructions given to this man were laughable. He was not violent or aggressive. His hands were in plain sight and the cop threatened to punch him in the face before he stood up. Absolute scumbags... and some of the commentors on this thread are just as bad. Did you not see the amount of blood he left on the footpath????

A member of my family has schizoprenia. She goes off her meds bout every two years and tries to be normal. We hope and pray that the guards will pick her up when this happens. Last time they did. They listened patiently while she told them that the CIA and/or IRA were following her and out to get her. They offered to take her back to the station to give a full statement about her experiences. I would just like to thank the men and women of the gardai who deal with mentally ill people everyday in a respectful and non violent manner. (Shes on her meds again.. YAh!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hard to watch the whole video. The police piss him around for the first 15 minutes hoping he'll lay a hand on one of them. The second he does it's an open licence for the cops to kick the shíte out of him.
    Police have a tough job, but this is such an obvious abuse of power. Police in the video are worse than a local scumbag that mugs people imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

No flies on him. Gold star indeed.

A retarded monkey with cataracts could come to the same conclusion :p

To be fair there is no need to be a smart ass. bambi said he/she had fact excessive force wasn't used. I put in my post in from the perspective of an actual US cop. And the fact cops are getting tarred with the same brush it shows that not all of them are scumbags. If my buddy who is a cop recognises that fellow US cops went overboard it shows they crossed a line considering they all follow the same guidelines for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Presumably you have experience of restraining people who are having a psychotic episode or are in the middle of a PCP induced rage.

Yes I have experience of restraining people. It's the same principle as restraining people who are not in a so called "PCP induced rage", did you see him taking PCP in the footage - no you did not, so by your logic, he is not on PCP. Plus, he seemed quite peaceful and placid until the cop interfeared with him.

I havent but I've restrained people on the deck once or twice and its tough. This scrawney guy took about 5 blasts from a tazer and kept going, that should tell you what you need to know about how easily he was going to be restrained

The cops dealt with the situation incorrectly. He was assaulted while the cop was trying to cuff him and may have initially resisted. This resulted in the cop getting heavy handed and assaulting the guy into submission. The guy was on the deck, the cops sat on him and made it difficult for him to breathe. He naturally struggled to enable himself to comfortably breathe but the cops did not allow this to happen. When he fought to breathe, the cops took that as a sign of non compliance. I call that fighting to live. This resulted in more aggressive, unnecessary assault on the guy.

He pleaded and pleaded and pleaded and begged and called in vain for his father to help him abd eventually, he gave up. He fought as much as he could to breathe and that was that. The cops are directly responsible for his death. They are a disgrace the way they dealt with it and should be stripped of their badges and never to see daylight again.

Why yes , yes I am telling you that cops might not be able to handle some people, there's tons of precedent for it. So now that I've told you that, you show me where in that video they exceeded their use of force matrix? Fourth time of asking. It should be easy peesy. :confused:

Look, cuffing the guy obviously was not working. It would have taken 4 cops to pick him up and place him in the squad car. Two guys take his arms and two guys take his legs. Thats it. Sitting on the guy and beating the **** out of his face did not work. Instaed of being arrested, he's dead. He should not have been arrested anyway.

I see a skinny guy managing to resist a half dozen cops, stay on his back and take multiple tazers shots. You'll also hear a cop stating that he's on something. I'm guessing that this guy might have actually been on something :eek:

The cops stating that he's on something is a universal ploy to assure all the rest of the cops that what they are doing at the time is justified. Thinking that he is on something gives them the illusion that they have the authority to use excessive force.

Oh and I am well trained in the use of force also, and I understand every last letter of it.

No offence but I think your mixing up cops with hostage takers. A cop is the protecter of the peace and a public servent. I dont know what cops your used to dealing with but "being smart" with a public servent is not cause to get beaten to death. It wouldnt be a sane, bright or well trained cop who thought that being smart was cause to murder someone. You should really expect better from cops mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

At 16.55 the officer kicks Kelly twice. and at 17.08 he can be heard saying he cant breathe.

At 17.34 the police man says put you hands behind your back.
    Kelly Thomas replies"Here dude" and if you listen to him saying that it would seem that the officer had an chance at that time to cuff him.

At 18.00 you can see through bush that the officer hits kelly Thomas with the flashight(angle of the light changes ina downward sharp movement and stops at which point Kelly screams"aggh"at the moment of impact with the torch.

At 18.11 when the second patrol arrive, you can see one officer clearly stamp with his right foot down onto Kelly Thomas.

At 18.31 the officer says "put your face down" and directly after that you can hear an impact to which Kelly screams in pain.

At 18.43 the tasering begins. he is tasered several times in short succession.

At 18.45 of of the officers comments "you're gonna give him heart attack" in relation to the tasing.

At 19.19 while still being tasered, the officer on the bottom right clearly punches Kelly.

At 19.30 the officer in the middle repeatedly hits Kelly with the torch.

At 19.49 Kelly is bleeding profusely as the officers put on rubber gloves.

From this point on it appears that the officers as using their combined body weight to crush Kelly as they do no appear to be doing anything other than this.

At 20.27 you can see that Kelly is lying in a pool of his own blood.

At 20.39 one of the officers says "there's ****ing blood everywhere"

After this point they continue to crush him with their body weight.

The reason I have quoted these points is that at anytime during this, anyone of those officers could have called time on this.
    A blind man with one eye in a dark room could see that.
    They are all culpable.

And they knew it.

Why do you think they kept him on the ground for so long?
    He was clearly unconcious by the end and yet the could be heard saying "Watch out, he'll fight"
    I cant believe that there wasn't more heard about this

....and at about 19 mins in, there's at least six cops around the guy, if I recall. It really is a vile display.

To be honest reading some of the comments here very few people have a clue what police are supposed to do. Some posters here seem to think that our duty is to do anything we can to avoid annoying the police and thus not get murdered. Their a public service their not some psychopaths Im supposed to walk on eggshells around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

The level of dishonesty required to even try to defend what those thugs did to that defenceless man is beyond my understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

Authoritive positions always attract the lowest common denominator, that's why we have so much corruption in the system. These cops probably laughed about what they did later and why wouldn't they? They're sick in the head.This is probably just their nightly routine, cruisin around looking to bust someone up for a laugh. Some people actually enjoy this kind of power trip and abuse it to max. Usually there is atleast 1 good man/woman who can stand on their own and complain about misconduct but then they get persecuted for it.

Advertisement