Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Undertaking on the motorway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

degsie wrote: »
    Guys, it's been TWO YEARS. Will someone please answer the OP's question already.

This is Ireland, so it always comes down to the same thing:
    "I don't give a crap what anyone else says, I just make up my own rules and follow them" and then complain loudly that it's mayhem out there and everyone just does what they want and what's the world coming to, etc...
    The problem with enforcement here is that they don't give a crap about the rules either, they just fill quotas. So they do a certain number of people for certain things (speed, seatbelts, phones, maybe alcohol and fcuk anything else) and otherwise don't care if you drive down the road backwards with your car on fire and your arse hanging out the window, not my problem kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

mikeecho wrote: »
    meanwhile on twitter..
    RustyNut wrote: »
    Remind me again what the on the spot fine was for? not what drew attention to him.
    "I don't give a crap what anyone else says, I just make up my own rules and follow them" and then complain loudly that it's mayhem out there and everyone just does what they want and what's the world coming to, etc...
    The problem with enforcement here is that they don't give a crap about the rules either, they just fill quotas. So they do a certain number of people for certain things (speed, seatbelts, phones, maybe alcohol and fcuk anything else) and otherwise don't care if you drive down the road backwards with your car on fire and your arse hanging out the window, not my problem kind of thing.

Thats exactly it, enforcement, there is none as long as you are not speeding. Its ok to be the first one or two passed a red light, yellow box, what yellow box?so what if I'm in the "fast lane" Im going as fast as I want, it was only a bit of the continues white line I crossed etc, etc, etc.
    Mabe the RSA should start their own enforcement teams just like they do with HGV's.

Hides in corner with helmet on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Sean Kinvarra

2 questions to all you who think its illegal to undertake on any road
    1. Is it dangerous?
    2. And if so, how is it dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

1. Is it dangerous?

By convention, if I'm overtaking someone in the right most lane, I don't reasonably expect someone to be travelling faster than me and to my left. That's, in my mind, why its dangerous. The Rules of the Road are not law but they give some order and some expectation to others as to how to act. I reasonably expect someone to follow them as I do i.e. I would not pass someone, at speed, to their left, with the aim of 'getting ahead' of them. Why? Because that's what moving progressively to the right is for i.e. The overtaking lane(s)

As the famous (I think Dunlop Ad) said 'Expect the unexpected' and that is always how I conduct myself. Everyone else on the road is a clown etc and expect them to do all sorts. I'm not saying I blindly merge back left, however by putting your car somewhere where its not reasonable for someone to expect it, your frankly being a plank and a danger on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

1. Is it dangerous?

I don't care if it is dangerous, that's not why it should be kept illegal.

You live and drive in America, so you know how it goes: you can drive in any lane and keep up your speed, passing on the left and right as the speed of other lanes varies. It means that the speed of the lanes averages out, they all end up doing the same speed: 3 lanes of traffic from LA to San Diego, all shooting along at 65-70 mph.

Except in Ireland, they'd all end up doing the speed of the hat-wearing Tiida driver, the nervous girl who can barely see over the wheel of her Picanto, and the guy whose Jetta is held together with baling twine. 3 lanes doing 70 kph.

To make progress, I'd have to weave from lane to lane, and the other drivers trying to do 120 kph would be doing the same, and it would be mayhem.

So: keep left, pass right, and we all progress at the speed we choose, rather than all doing the speed of the slowest drivers.

Now, you'll protest "What about the lane hoggers???" and yes, I'd like to see them ticketed. But saying they're grand, we'll just pass on the left makes things worse, not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

mikeecho wrote: »
    meanwhile on twitter..

Am I alone in disliking this kind of backslapping from the Gardai? So you did you job, big ****ing deal. Youd swear they just took down the FBI ten most wanted... :rolleyes:

Id be more impressed if I saw them pulling over cars on a daily basis on the main roads, instead of thinking they are great by posting on Twitter/Facebook of the isolated incidents where they showed a moments competence.

Except in Ireland, they'd all end up doing the speed of the hat-wearing Tiida driver, the nervous girl who can barely see over the wheel of her Picanto, and the guy whose Jetta is held together with baling twine. 3 lanes doing 70 kph.

How is that any different to what we have now?

At least if undertaking was legal it wouldnt matter if some prick was hogging the overtaking lane. Its obviously not a perfect solution, but in the absense of a police force who have the slightest interest in policing our roads and dealing with the lane hoggers, its the next best thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

djimi wrote: »
    Am I alone in disliking this kind of backslapping from the Gardai? So you did you job, big ****ing deal. Youd swear they just took down the FBI ten most wanted... :rolleyes:

Id be more impressed if I saw them pulling over cars on a daily basis on the main roads, instead of thinking they are great by posting on Twitter/Facebook of the isolated incidents where they showed a moments competence.

No, you are right. If they even wrote a 200 word piece on a blog somewhere with the relevant legislation and explanation as to why they pulled them over etc, at least if they threw enough info at the general public it would stick. But no, quick Tweet and that is policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

djimi wrote: »
    A Youd swear they just took down the FBI ten most wanted...

Given that they pulled someone for something that a hard-core of boardsies refuse to accept is illegal, I appreciate them publicising it. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

1. Is it dangerous?

Well, I'd say 1, irrelevant to the discussion of legality and 2, I do not neccesarily think that it is dangerous in all circumstances, but still irrelevant if I'm caught.
    If I'm done for it and argue based on what you said that it isn't, I won't fancy my chances.
    The only way to find out is if someone tries that stuff in court and I'm not volunteering.
    Because legal works in the same way as funny. Theoretically it could be a great idea, but in the end it either flies or not and you can't always tell in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Its dangerous for lots of reasons
    it blocks drivers returning to the driving lane.
    There is a bigger blind spot on left rear of car than right rear. you might remember this from days when you learned to drive, ensure you can see the car you over took in centre mirror before retuning to correct lane.
    You not expected to be going faster in left lane so higher chance someone will move over as you pass.

It is the driving lane because some idiot is hogging an over taking lane doesn't mean two wrongs make a right.

Its called a driving lane not overtaking lane like all the other lanes.

Cars passing at higger speed on both sides of centre lane hogger will unease the driver.

If and most likey when a under taking car wants to move into centre lane an overtaking car will be attempting to do the same there is much higher chance they will come in to contact

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

We had a few more reasons a year ago, presuming you're in the right lane for whatever reason, illegally or not, it is clearly safer to have a likely clear lane to your left, be it driving lane or hard shoulder. If you have a stream of cars or even one car overtaking on the left you are stuck in a relatively narrow space, with no access to clear space in an emergency. There could be debris in the right hand lane or something, or danger in the opposite carriage that might come on to your side, or you suddenly need to pull over and stop for some reason. Your access could also be blocked to an exit road on the left, you don't want a driver panicking trapped in a lane as their exit approaches.

Them being there incorrectly isn't really an argument to do it. Times I've been overtaken on the left by people too impatient to wait for me to pull back to the left when I'm waiting to create a safe space between me and the car I've just overtaken.

visual wrote: »
    Its dangerous for lots of reasons
    it blocks drivers returning to the driving lane.
    There is a bigger blind spot on left rear of car than right rear. you might remember this from days when you learned to drive, ensure you can see the car you over took in centre mirror before retuning to correct lane.
    You not expected to be going faster in left lane so higher chance someone will move over as you pass.

It is the driving lane because some idiot is hogging an over taking lane doesn't mean two wrongs make a right.

Its called a driving lane not overtaking lane like all the other lanes.

Cars passing at higger speed on both sides of centre lane hogger will unease the driver.

If and most likey when a under taking car wants to move into centre lane an overtaking car will be attempting to do the same there is much higher chance they will come in to contact

And you have to remember that the "driver" you are about to undertake obviously doesn't give a fiddlers about the basic rules of driving so depending on them checking a mirror before the panic move to leave the motor way just as you get to them is a big gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

RustyNut wrote: »
    And you have to remember that the "driver" you are about to undertake obviously doesn't give a fiddlers about the basic rules of driving so depending on them checking a mirror before the panic move to leave the motor way just as you get to them is a big gamble.

The middle lane hoggers are like zombies as they shuffle along below the limit I doubt they would be looking at anything more than the car in front untill its their exit and its a hard left

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

1. Is it dangerous?

Imagine you are driving on 3 lane motorway on the most right lane overtaking other vehicle.
    Suddenly, your engine cuts out, and you start slowing down.
    What you should do is to pull over to the hard shoulder.

But then you go slower and slower, and you can't get to hard shoulder as everyone else is undertaking you. You end up eventually stranded in the middle of most right overtaking lane, which probably in few seconds is going to end up fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

CiniO wrote: »
    Imagine you are driving on 3 lane motorway on the most right lane overtaking other vehicle.

But then you go slower and slower, and you can't get to hard shoulder as everyone else is undertaking you. You end up eventually stranded in the middle of most right overtaking lane, which probably in few seconds is going to end up fatal.

Before anyone says that's bollocks it happened me in the Pissat. Cars undertook even though I had hazards on and was pulling into the driving lane. There was also no hard shoulder due to roadworks. The car stopped 500 yards short of the hard shoulder. One of most scary experiences of my life. Everyone seemed to think I was "cutting in" to the driving lane to puss them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Before anyone says that's bollocks it happened me in the Pissat. Cars undertook even though I had hazards on and was pulling into the driving lane. There was also no hard shoulder due to roadworks. The car stopped 500 yards short of the hard shoulder. One of most scary experiences of my life. Everyone seemed to think I was "cutting in" to the driving lane to puss them off.

Happened to me also, luckily traffic was at a crawl and i was in the driving lane

But it was in Belgium ... what a nightmare

That wouldn't happen if you had stayed in lane 1, as I do. If I had to move to lane 2 to overtake a slower moving vehicle ahead, the only thing could happen to stop me getting back in is tailgaters

Your on a 3 lane duel carraigeway driving at speed limit 100km/h in outmost lane and 1 km ahead you is your right exit. With your indicator on 100 mtrs from right only lane you get a sudden puncture. Traffic is "legally" undertaking at 100km/h. Couldn't that also end up fatal.

If lane 3 is moving at maximum speed in a way described and not keeping their distance I will undertake. When lane hoggers start to see those in proper lane passing on their left it will soon teach them to use lane 1.

ba_barabus wrote: »

Obviously you checked your mirrors so wasn't those simply passing in driving lane that had you in the ****s but the road works.

I don't complain over here in US, actually nobody complains even though I'm driving in the State that has the highest level for careless driving That's the beauty of undertaking!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

But your hazard lights would be on and cars in the driving lane would slow to let you in, people dont just look blankly ahead, they are aware that any situation can happen at any time and so can take action. If not then they should not be driving.

But your hazard lights would be on and cars in the driving lane would slow to let you in, people dont just look blankly ahead, they are aware that any situation can happen at any time and so can take action. If not then they should not be driving.

Unfortunately there is a not insignificant portion of our driving population who fall into this category...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I don't complain over here in US!

What are you driving over there Sean Kinvarra?

Probably not.
    I've spoken to Traffic Corps members and they use the terms "fast" and "slow" lane.
    So I wouldnt put much trust in what the AGS twitter says, if I was pulled for overtaking on the left I'd be allowing it to go to court.

I could just imagine what the judges adviser would whisper in his ear, " just tell the Garda along with wasting time and tax payers money he's talking through his tits"

Jesus. wrote: »
    What are you driving over there Sean Kinvarra?

For past 2 years drove the Nissan Titan. Changed to a Chevy Uplander van-car have to say the standard of driving over here is very poor yet I have never encountered a situation of having to break hard because of someone not checking their mirrors to move in to driving lane. Drive over here for a year is better than any advanced or defensive course you could do at home in Ireland ..

What do you think of the Motors driven over there compared to the average yokes we drive here?

Bet you love the V8 power? :)

Jesus. wrote: »
    What do you think of the Motors driven over there compared to the average yokes we drive here?

Bet you love the V8 power? :)

Excellent truck. If your into speed it will do 0-60 in 6.6 secs. Only thing didn't like was 14.5 mpg on highway which is about 3.78 liters.

Those full-size Pickups really are something. I've spotted a couple over here: A Toyota Tundra, Ford F-150 and a GM Sierra (not Cleve's).

I hear diesel is catching on over there when it comes to Pickups.

The Nut family were in mureca for a friends wedding a couple of years ago and decided to rent a camper after the wedding and explore some of said asylum.

The camper was based on some ford chassis but had a 7 litre V10 petrol engine :eek:

It was after this trip I gave up on the drive a small car and save the planet buzz. They are going to use all the oil sooner or later, I want my fun while there's still some left :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was back in Ireland for the hols over the last couple of weeks and did an undertake twice .....but not without trying the get the moron in the overtaking lane to GTFO first. They were both on the same stretch of road funnily enough but going in different directions, the Ballincollig bypass.

First one I thought the driver hogging the overtaking lane was really trying to annoy people, she was in an xtrail and driving at 65 - 70, I cant remember if the speed limit on it is 100km/h or 120. I was behind her flashing and beeping for ~10 seconds and she was oblivious, so I did what everyone else did and undertook her at speed and she was on the phone .... just vacantly keeping her car in her lane on the phone o-fcuking-blivious to the world around her.

The other one was heading towards Cork and it was a middle aged dude in a old fiesta and he was doing 60km/h tops, once again nothing at all on the inside lane and flashing and beeping made no impression...this dude did not appear to be distracted by anything, just doodling along.

I have a very low tolerance for people flouting rules and I know what I did was wrong. But if you think I would go 11 miles at a snails pace while I was going for my ferry you got another think coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement