Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The white bread they sell is like cardboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The white bread they sell is like cardboard.

On the flip side of that the cardboard they sell makes perfectly good toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

dearg lady wrote: »
    And? Even with perfect use, the failure rate on condoms is still 2%, typical use failure rate is 15%, so it's not that shocking, and there's no proof this brand of condom was the issue.
    I've used Lidl condoms...Mondos, why did they have to call them that?!!! The only thing I've found so far that I'd avoid is Aldi mayonaise, very watery stuff.

Mayo isn't supposed to be used as lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Don't know if its been said all ready but many, if not all, of the items they sell that carry the tricolour or that claim to be irish made, have a uk symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

stovelid wrote: »
    You. Are. Mad.

Lidl and aldi are considered foreign supermarkets by many Irish people while Tesco and M and S are considered native. Lidl and Aldi have definitely more irish products than M and S.

on a sad note aldi used to sell Tuna steaks for less tan 5 euro, while M and S was charging 8 euro.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Buy fuhkall there. About two of the entire staff of aldi/lidl are friendly happy normal people.

i just go there to shop, not make friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 stroke wrote: »
    Mayo isn't supposed to be used as lube.

Looked at your username & lol'd,don't think you'd need lube, with a name like 2 stroke the deed would be over before you even got the lid off the jar:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The only things I won't buy in Aldi are breakfast cereals.. all tried and tested and all sh1te imho..

Furniture polish (streak city)

and personal care items such as toothpaste, shampoo and face washes/moisturiser

Everything else is fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

true wrote: »
    because 80% of the stuff I ever bought in the centre isles of Lidl was rubbish. Bought a pair of jeans for gardening there once, the flimsy little zip broke the 2nd time they were used. Bought tools that were s***e, bought snorkeling mask that leaked and their customer service is worse than useless. Some of their food is ok though, but because of the overall experience I would not shop there anymore.

I've quite a few Aldi and Lidl tools, gardening stuff and general hand tools, as good as anything I bought elsewhere. Certainly nothing wrong with them for domestic day to day diy use. Professional use maybe not, might do for a while or if you were stuck, they dont compare to prof stuff, that will be the case for cheap tools generally.
    Cheap battery powered stuff likely never last, that'd be the case anywhere.
    I wouldn't buy clothes (other than workwear, although I've enough old stuff to do) or footwear there.
    Save a fortune buying food there.
    GunRunner wrote: »
    Cereal, coffee. - taste rotten.
    Milk - goes sour too quick.

Never had this problem with the milk and the coffee is fine, havent tried all of their cereals, sugary ones like any sugary ones, bran ones like any bran ones

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Canned Potato's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

2 stroke wrote: »
    Don't know if its been said all ready but many, if not all, of the items they sell that carry the tricolour or that claim to be irish made, have a uk symbol.

Yes, the cheese is made here, packed in the UK and sent back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

swans and badger steaks. i get them elsewhere for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, the cheese is made here, packed in the UK and sent back here.
    How messed up is it that apparently there is no Irish cheese slicing/packaging enterprise? All shipped to UK and then back. An opportunity for someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Only thing I won't buy in Aldi is tinned beans, the sauce is too watery. The multi-grain bread is mighty stuff and the yogurt is lovely. As far as the staff go I've found them in general to be friendlier than Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Chicken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only thing I won't buy in Aldi is tinned beans, the sauce is too watery. The multi-grain bread is mighty stuff and the yogurt is lovely. As far as the staff go I've found them in general to be friendlier than Dunnes.
    Speaking of watery have you tried the Dunnes Stores own brand beans ?

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Ghandee wrote: »
    I find a lot of Aldi's (in particular) food to be superior to some of the other supermarkets stuff.

Maris piper chips at 1.99 thrash mccains etc at double the price.
    Aldi steaks are melt in the mouth
    Aldi cooking sauces (curry in particular) puts pataks, uncle Ben to Shame.
    The sweets, cakes, biscuits are lovely.
    fruit and veg seems to be tastier/fresher than Tesco.
    Rhinebacher beer, six pack of 500ml bottles, 4.9% beats Budweiser, miller etc HANDS DOWN! (6.29€)

I draw the line at ketchup and brown sauce from Aldi though, its rank.

A steak that melts in your mouth dosent sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Any Silvercrest branded stuff is rubbish. I bought a shower radio and headphones and both lasted less than a week.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Any Silvercrest branded stuff is rubbish. I bought a shower radio and headphones and both lasted less than a week.

then you bring it back and if you have the receipt you get your money back. they are usually good for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

el diablo wrote: »

I got the same shower radio about three years ago, it's still fine :confused:

And I got that digital camera, perfect quality :cool:

• Advertisement

Chicken.
    He's only saying he doesn't like the beans, that hardly makes him a coward. Harsh Teyla.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

gerarda wrote: »
    Chicken fillets.

Friend of mine whos a microbiologist recently found visible salmonella growing on chicken fillets in Lidil along with all sorts of other nasty stuff!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

The disco biscuits are pretty useless, man what a sh!t rave that turned out to be.

Fcukin classic.. :D

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Friend of mine whos a microbiologist recently found visible salmonella growing on chicken fillets in Lidil along with all sorts of other nasty stuff!! :eek:
    That's nothing, I found a Leylandii growing in one of their special offer baskets! Shocked I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The only thing I would never buy there is pickled fish (looks vile) and some sort of industrially wrapped hunk of sausage that's about a foot long. Looks like a section of waste water piping.

We grow a lot of our own fruit and veg, or get them locally, but Lidl would be the next best alternative for that sort of produce.

bacteria is everywhere and microbiologists will never shut up about it.
    the main two problems folks have with aldi-its German and its cheap in price.

few Irish people seem to work there.
    i remember when Aldi opened in Galway and there was a strike within the first fortnight of opening. the irish workers wanted a union and refused to do jobs like clean the staff toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Do they still do the full chicken in a tin?

later12 wrote: »
    The only thing I don't buy there is pickled fish (looks vile) and some sort of industrially wrapped hunk of sausage that's about a foot long. Looks like a section of waste water piping.

when they first came they had few Irish products and folks here did not know what to do with pickled herring. these days however even people who have never been outside of ireland will find food they recognise at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I prefer Aldi over Lidl. I find nothing wrong with Aldi at all. All the perishables that meat/veg/dairy products are all of a high quality, and in a lot of instances are way nicer then the likes of Dunnes and Tesco. Plus way cheaper. I feel like a lot of people who complain about it try the stuff with a negative attitude to start with anyway. If you believe something is going to be ''horrible'' or ''****e'', then you are going to make it that way. Just sayin' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That stuff can be found on chicken fillets bought anywhere,hence those food safety ads we see on tv warning us of the dangers of handling raw meat.

Advertisement