Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love Aldi - some great products in there. Don't go to Lidl as much cos it's not as near as Aldi but I do love their bakery - the smell when you come in the door is divine!

Love Aldi smoked salmon - in a blue packaging. Granted it's Scottish smoked salmon but I find it nicer than the Irish salmon you get in Dunnes....

We still do our main shop in Dunnes but do go to Aldi for a lot of things too.

The quality of food is brilliant imo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Furzy wrote: »
    So you believe everything they tell you? Their bread isn't fresh - they buy in readymade rolls and reheat them today and then tomorrow and probably the next day. Have you actually ever seen any freshly baked bread?

Their milk and eggs say fresh Irish milk/ eggs but at best they come from Northern Ireland - check out the UK stamp on their 'Irish' eggs. I used think they were OK but in fact they're a way bigger rip-off than Tesco. Has anyone noticed that Tesco prices have come down with the recession but Lidl prices stay the same or increase. Why do people still shop there for substandard products that are no longer sold at bargain priced??

Their milk comes from a Creamery in Donegal actually and 40/50c cheaper for a litre.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone see barbecue sauce in Lidl/Aldi? Is it nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

Cereal, coffee. - taste rotten.
    Milk - goes sour too quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

aldi is good for wine, chocolate and sweets. most events I attend tend to serve aldi wine and cheese.

cleaning and hygene products are not the best. some beers in both places are dodge.

aldi and lidl have helped bring down the price of groceries.

• Advertisement

Irishchick wrote: »
    Are you being paid by lidl and aldi or something?? Why cant you just accept that some people dont like the products they sell?

Irish people distrust cheap products cos they associate it with cheap quality and are also used to being ripped off.

Galahad lager, complete and utter pisswater:pac:

The razors in Lidl are crap also, I'd rather shave my face with a broken bottle.

you will not get everything in Lidl and Aldi and you have to be wise o some of the products, but by and large it quality at a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I rephuese to buy anything with a petrol engine out of lidl/aldi because it would more than likely have been made by chinese communist bastards who put a plastic piston in the engine.

Do aldi still do 12 cans of galahad for 8 quid?

Stuff would blow the face off ya! :D

so what dunes sells dutch gold and other cheap ****

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I don't buy anything in Lidl or Aldi, I'm not a peasant.....

or a foreigner

or someone who wants value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GunRunner wrote: »
    Cereal, coffee. - taste rotten.
    Milk - goes sour too quick.
    rice krispies / sugar puffs are fairly similar

lidl sell genuine weetabix

when buying milk check the date - not exactly rocket science
    the cartons have a tricolour on them , not sure if the 2L are Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Don't the Lidl condoms have the quality assurance symbol on them?

I was going to make this point but I am still 100% behind the people who don't trust them, I wouldn't either!

Likewise with the milk (It comes from NI)
    Bread (It is not baked in store, it comes in frozen and they heat it up, like that Cuisine de France sh*te)
    Ketchup
    Toothpaste

The trick with Aldi and Lidl is to buy the "German Looking" stuff, the bacon lardons, the cured meats etc. They've been selling it for years and the quality is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

will try everything there but dont think i would buy the dog food...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Toothbrushes, never again..Dont clean properly and after a few months of using them I was spending a fortune at the dentists trying to sort my teeth out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Because your dog deserves better than you do?? I presume it sleeps on the bed while you kip on the floor. I'd do the opposite, give fido the Lidl dog food and save the caviar for me. When Fido gets up off his hole and gets a job I'll start giving him the dear stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

rice krispies / sugar puffs are fairly similar

lidl sell genuine weetabix

when buying milk check the date - not exactly rocket science
    the cartons have a tricolour on them , not sure if the 2L are Irish ?

I've gotten milk there that's gone sour within 2 days, even though though the expiry date was 4 or 5 days later. There's nothing wrong with my fridge either, it's never happened with milk from any other shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

GunRunner wrote: »
    I've gotten milk there that's gone sour within 2 days, even though though the expiry date was 4 or 5 days later. There's nothing wrong with my fridge either, it's never happened with milk from any other shop.

Have to agree with you here.
    I posted this a few months ago-I found the milk was always going off and it wasn't my fridge either, plus it never happened with milk from other stores.

I wouldn't buy toothpaste from Aldi/Lidl (I need my Sensodyne-yes I tried Aldi's own brand of sensitive toothpaste and it tastes horrible)
    Also wouldn't buy face wash again. Tried one before and it was like wallpaper paste.

I'm happy to buy most things there though.
    PS-Anyone else find Aldi never seems to have many green peppers? Only red?
    Or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I've eaten and enjoyed food from Lidl and Aldi.

But I'm mightily put off them by the VERY long ingredients list for many of their products, where the ingredients lists of the same products from other supermarkets will be much shorter. The more ingredients, the more processed the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    dark rum, condoms, and coke/lemonandlime

Sounds like a good night in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Id buy everything in Lidl tbh, the only things id say that actually doesnt taste the same or that i just wouldnt get to me as other brands would be their dark rum, condoms, and coke/lemonandlime methinks.

A connoisseur no doubt. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 _coinin_

What I like from Aldi: ground coffee, all dairy, Meat, Juice, Chocolate, alcohol, Fruit and veg, Lidl muslei is delicious.

I woundnt buy the toothbrushes, vitamins and things like that from there though. I would buy a brand name

But what I refuse to buy would be fruit and veg from Tesco. Mank :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

WumBuster wrote: »
    Toothbrushes, never again..Dont clean properly and after a few months of using them I was spending a fortune at the dentists trying to sort my teeth out

I was always told to change the toothbrush after 4 weeks, no matter if they come from a German retailer or Dunnes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I left Tesco's for Aldi. I save at least E60 a week!

Don't buy Washing Powder, Sausages, Rashers or Coffee there though.

Their Rashers are so salty they would attack you from the plate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I enjoy both. Far fewer Union Jacks emblazoned on all the products in Lidl or Aldi. Far less rabble-rousing nationalistic shít (wrong country, arseholes!) - in fact, I've never seen it - in either store compared to Tesco and M&S.

The British retailers in Ireland really need to get over themselves. The USSR and US won WWII for Britain, and the Germans won post-WW II. Shít happens. Time to move on, and all the Union Jacks on all the British products in the world will not hide the decline in British power and the rise in German power.

Anyway, I'd trust the quality of a German manufactured product quicker than I'd trust the quality of a British manufactured one. As would most people outside Britain (and judging by the number of German cars in Britain, quite a few Brits feel similarly).

WumBuster wrote: »

true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The "Bran Flakes" in Lidl are excellent.... 79c for a box compared to 3.40 or something like that in Dunnes or Tesco for a smaller box and they taste a lot better...

Lidl and Aldi do have great stuff, but I wouldn't buy everything there...

I do love their random-cr@p aisles with petrol powered generators, steam powered washers etc! :-)

The "Bran Flakes" in Lidl are excellent.... 79c for a box compared to 3.40 or something like that in Dunnes or Tesco for a smaller box and they taste a lot better...

Lidl and Aldi do have great stuff, but I wouldn't buy everything there...

I do love their random-cr@p aisles with petrol powered generators, steam powered washers etc! :-)

it never was the intention that you buy everything there. for the general shopping it cannot be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it never was the intention that you buy everything there. for the general shopping it cannot be beaten.

yeah i agree

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched a show on food the other day & they went to a factory making dog food,believe it or not,it has to be fit for human consumption.Dogs don't care what it says on the label.

We,along with an ever growing number of people do our weekly shop in Lidl or Aldi & it saves us a fortune (if I stay away from the gadgets on offer)

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Watched a show on food the other day & they went to a factory making dog food,believe it or not,it has to be fit for human consumption.Dogs don't care what it says on the label.

We,along with an ever growing number of people do our weekly shop in Lidl or Aldi & it saves us a fortune (if I stay away from the gadgets on offer)

for years there was a stigma attached among Irish people about shopping there.

one or two restaurant critics have hinted that some of the food they have eaten in restaurant tasted a lot like the products in aldi.

lidl and aldi with their special offers have made 'posh' food affordable.

Venison and pheasant is a lot cheaper in Lidl than regular supermarkets.

Advertisement