Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fuinseog wrote: »
    for years there was a stigma attached among Irish people about shopping there.

one or two restaurant critics have hinted that some of the food they have eaten in restaurant tasted a lot like the products in aldi.

lidl and aldi with their special offers have made 'posh' food affordable.

Venison and pheasant is a lot cheaper in Lidl than regular supermarkets.

I know one person who's still like that & she won't be caught dead in Penneys either,yet her husband shops in Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seanchai wrote: »
    I enjoy both. Far fewer Union Jacks emblazoned on all the products in Lidl or Aldi. Far less rabble-rousing nationalistic shít (wrong country, arseholes!) - in fact, I've never seen it - in either store compared to Tesco and M&S.

The British retailers in Ireland really need to get over themselves. The USSR and US won WWII for Britain, and the Germans won post-WW II. Shít happens. Time to move on, and all the Union Jacks on all the British products in the world will not hide the decline in British power and the rise in German power.

Anyway, I'd trust the quality of a German manufactured product quicker than I'd trust the quality of a British manufactured one. As would most people outside Britain (and judging by the number of German cars in Britain, quite a few Brits feel similarly).

You. Are. Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

stovelid wrote: »
    You. Are. Mad.
    I.Don't.Agree.With.You
    - seems a fair enough point he/shes making tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i started off buying 1 or 2 things from aldi and thought ,, mmm thats quite nice, then 2 years down the line i buy all my stuff from there because i find the quality so good, if i was to be pushed then id say i dont like the bread, im a brennans man myself,
    on the ceriels i remember buying the weetabix version in lidle or aldi i cant remember and they were ****e , and so was the cornflakes , then 2 months ago i was to lazy to go to tesco and i bought the branflakes and they were lovely, and so was the cornflakes.they must have changed their supplier.

Aldi do say that they do there own brand because they can control the quality and price, if one of the 2 dont meet its target then they either stop supplying it or find a new supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Strawberry Shortcake

Dish washing tablets are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Then it's not bread, it's toast.

Yeah but I don't think anyone buys toast in a supermarket

huey1975 wrote: »
    Yeah but I don't think anyone buys toast in a supermarket

what is brushetta then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

stovelid wrote: »
    You. Are. Mad.

:rolleyes:. In explaining your, em, political sympathies on Irish-British things, you've previously admitted that you were born in Britain and you incessantly tell us in every thread you get the chance about your pathological hatred for the GAA, or "bogball" as you call it when the chip on your shoulder is in full flight.

"Mad" suddenly sounds like a compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Everything except the bottled water, fresh breads and these:

http://www.suessigkeiten-blog.de/files/2008/05/cherryoca-packung.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

what is brushetta then

****ed if I know. Is it even a word? I know the Italians eat something called bruschetta though!

• Advertisement

huey1975 wrote: »
    ****ed if I know. Is it even a word? I know the Italians eat something called bruschetta though!

sorry, i had some in the press but couldnt be arsed to go see for the spelling, sooooooo would you call that "bruschetta " toast, its as close to burnt bread that i can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Toilet paper. It just clings to your feckin' arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Buy fuhkall there. About two of the entire staff of aldi/lidl are friendly happy normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

swiss cheese pizza in aldi is absolutely rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The alcoholic cider. Also, their home-brand ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

squod wrote: »
    Buy fuhkall there. About two of the entire staff of aldi/lidl are friendly happy normal people.

Must have met them all then! ;) They are so quick scanning stuff they do tend to be short conversations!
    the_syco wrote: »
    The alcoholic cider. Also, their home-brand ice-cream.

Taurus from Aldi isn't bad, don't find any difference from Bulmers, but hard to beat Koppangers.

Agree on the ice cream.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

:rolleyes:. In explaining your, em, political sympathies on Irish-British things, you've previously admitted that you were born in Britain and you incessantly tell us in every thread you get the chance about your pathological hatred for the GAA, or "bogball" as you call it when the chip on your shoulder is in full flight.

"Mad" suddenly sounds like a compliment.

I think the term was silage ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was a vegetarian for years. I found that the veggies in lidl were better and they had a far bgger selection of organic veggies. However as a meat eater again i can honestly say that I wouldn't touch any of the ready meals (including stuff like pies) in there. Disgusting grisley stuff.

i know a lot of people who say the tea is pretty bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Having worked in Lidl, you were only allowed a half hour break at max so you didn't have much time to eat and were forced to eat from the delights of the shop.

Desperately, one day I bought the microwaveable donor kebabs. Tasted like dried out rubbish.

The smell out of me afterwards was cruel, we had to evacuate the town because people assumed it was a chemical attack. :(

Oh, and the seaweed pizzas look like mouldy old vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I do all my shopping in lidl now, only go to tesco if there is something specific I need.
    The only thing I've tried and absolutely detested was their pasta sauce, ****ing hell I actually hate it with a passion, why why would you sell such ****e. Its mank.
    Their chocolates pretty good but I wouldnt buy the rip off mars bars etc

The el tequito chilli sauce is excellent though, and I can go in there and buy whatever the hell I want and it usually only comes to like 20-30 quid, try that in tesco and you're fuced.

Tesco is for rich people and their chorizo and salami is crap in comparison to Lidl's.

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Having worked in Lidl, you were only allowed a half hour break at max so you didn't have much time to eat and were forced to eat from the delights of the shop.

Desperately, one day I bought the microwaveable donor kebabs. Tasted like dried out rubbish.

You should look into this new invention called packed lunches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't buy their breakfast cereal stuff. It always turns into a a paste-like mush that is a total turn off and tastes rotten anyway, in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Biggins wrote: »
    I don't buy their breakfast cereal stuff. It always turns into a a paste-like mush that is a total turn off and tastes rotten anyway, in the mouth.

As opposed to........?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

somefeen wrote: »
    As opposed to........?:confused:

:D

I'll leave that to your imagination! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I enjoy both. Far fewer Union Jacks emblazoned on all the products in Lidl or Aldi. Far less rabble-rousing nationalistic shít (wrong country, arseholes!) - in fact, I've never seen it - in either store compared to Tesco and M&S.

The British retailers in Ireland really need to get over themselves. The USSR and US won WWII for Britain, and the Germans won post-WW II. Shít happens. Time to move on, and all the Union Jacks on all the British products in the world will not hide the decline in British power and the rise in German power.

Anyway, I'd trust the quality of a German manufactured product quicker than I'd trust the quality of a British manufactured one. As would most people outside Britain (and judging by the number of German cars in Britain, quite a few Brits feel similarly).

Theres definately someone that needs to get over themselves. Its not the supermarkets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The union jack is just the British flag - why would placing it on a product be making a statement re the world wars? :confused:
    Also, it's not something I notice on products at all - seems the kind of thing one would have to look out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Onixx wrote: »
    The union jack is just the British flag - why would placing it on a product be making a statement re the world wars? :confused:
    Also, it's not something I notice on products at all - seems the kind of thing one would have to look out for.

Some people are just looking for things to be offended by.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I have to admit, I honestly don't get the amount of people complaining about the staff in Aldi and Lidl... How much interaction do you get with them anyway? Do you usually go shopping with the expressed intend of having a good long chat with the check-out girl? Or do you belong to those people who enjoy grilling staff on the exact ingredients of every product you buy?

I usually go in, fill up my trolley, and am grateful for a speedy check-out. There usually isn't a lot of scope for me to even notice if the staff are friendly?
    How much time do you usually spend pursuing staff to find out if they're friendly or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have to admit, I honestly don't get the amount of people complaining about the staff in Aldi and Lidl... How much interaction do you get with them anyway? Do you usually go shopping with the expressed intend of having a good long chat with the check-out girl? Or do you belong to those people who enjoy grilling staff on the exact ingredients of every product you buy?

I usually go in, fill up my trolley, and am grateful for a speedy check-out. There usually isn't a lot of scope for me to even notice if the staff are friendly?
    How much time do you usually spend pursuing staff to find out if they're friendly or not?

If there is nobody behind me then ill try and chat them up, but usually dont get far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Their goats cheese is absolutely amazing. Cheapest I've found and by far the best. I could eat the whole thing at once.

I never really shop in either, I normally order my weekly shop online and just get a few bits in tesco when I need them.

I only even buy meat in the butchers though.

Advertisement