Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Khan V Peterson may be off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Any form of treatment like that should surely have the commission informed. These are professional boxers, their lifestyles are meticulously taken care of to prevent problems like this.

Very dodgy.

A 'therapeutic use exemption' is required as far as I know. And obviously they didn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's official- its OFF.

The last fight result is annulled

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

wonder who will Khan fight next
    maybe Maidana then winner of Ortiz Vs Berto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

efb wrote: »
    It's official- its OFF.

The last fight result is annulled

I've seen it is off but where does it say it's annulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

MD1990 wrote: »
    wonder who will Khan fight next
    maybe Maidana then winner of Ortiz Vs Berto

That's a fairly tough introduction to WW for Khan. Both have the power to take him out and seem a good bit bigger even though Khan is taller than both. If he loses any chance of a PBF fight will be gone so I'd say he'll go for something a bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I've seen it is off but where does it say it's annulled?

BBC 5 live last noght

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

That's a fairly tough introduction to WW for Khan. Both have the power to take him out and seem a good bit bigger even though Khan is taller than both. If he loses any chance of a PBF fight will be gone so I'd say he'll go for something a bit easier.

Maidana has only had one fight at 147 himself, and in it he got thoroughly schooled by Devon Alexander who was fighting at that weight for the first time himself. Maidana didn't look to have taken any of his power with him in that fight.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Maidana has only had one fight at 147 himself, and in it he got thoroughly schooled by Devon Alexander who was fighting at that weight for the first time himself. Maidana didn't look to have taken any of his power with him in that fight.

To be honest I missed the Maidana part of your comment and was talking about Berto and Ortiz.

Maidana wouldnt be a bad option. Khans looking to fight on June 30th. Looks like Maidana fights every 4-5 months anyway and June 30th is around 4 months since he last fought. Not sure what kind of shape he keeps himself in but gives him 7 weeks to get ready. He looked terrible at 147 though so could he possibly come down and fight Khan for the LWW belts or can he not make the weight anymore? If they did fight at LWW it would still leave Khan having to find an opponent at WW when he decides to move up. Cant see him fighting Mayweather without a tune up.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,972 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kell Brook?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Henno30 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if emerged that juicing was widespread.
    Wouldn't surprise me if it were true. Would surprise me if it ever got public.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Kell Brook?

Good fight. Who'd your money be on?

Good fight. Who'd your money be on?

Kell is handy enough but I'd have Khan to outpoint him... Khan going a few rounds ahead at the beginning and making it difficult for himself the rest of the way

Kell is handy enough but I'd have Khan to outpoint him... Khan going a few rounds ahead at the beginning and making it difficult for himself the rest of the way

Khan to me is far too fast and busy. Kell would need a KO, and really, I don't think he has what it takes. Khan's chin and punch resistance have improved a fair bit. Khan also has reach and height. LP is better than Kell.

Edit: Maravilla33, my money is really on Khan. 9-1 he beats Kell in 10 fights.

I'm firmly in the "sit on the fence" camp when it comes to Brook. I think he's done little to warrant being rated as highly as he is by some, and will wait and see how he does when stepped up in class, before getting too excited. However, in saying that I think he may be all wrong for Khan. While he's not the typical fighter you'd imagine troubling Khan I think he has the timing and poise to outbox him as well as the punch to take him out. Would love for this to be made.

He is not outboxing Khan, no way. He isn't busy enough, nor cute enough to do this. I also don't think he' a great hitter. Certainly not heavier than a Maidana, and even LP is as heavy handed. This is, LP was a lot more aggressive, in your face and throwing. Brook likes to pick shots, set up shots etc. Khan won't allow this.

Brooks best asset is his timing which will counter Khan's speed along with a stiff jab. He's very accurate and has power in both hands. I'd say the mix of his accuracy, speed and power make him a much more hurtful puncher than Maidana. The only advantage I give to Khan is his hand speed. His defence isn't great its all about running. He doesn't move his head or slip punches. He lunges in and leaves himself open when he throws a flurry. He's made for someone like Brook in my opinion.

Brooks best asset is his timing which will counter Khan's speed along with a stiff jab. He's very accurate and has power in both hands. I'd say the mix of his accuracy, speed and power make him a much more hurtful puncher than Maidana. The only advantage I give to Khan is his hand speed. His defence isn't great its all about running. He doesn't move his head or slip punches. He lunges in and leaves himself open when he throws a flurry. He's made for someone like Brook in my opinion.

Khan is far from the complete fighter and all you say is correct. Kell won't expose it, trust me. Kell's hesitance and waiting for the perfect shots may be his undoing. Not that he could not come up with a plan, but I feel that Khan will be just too much in volume and movement and speed. Brook will be hit a fair deal here. I think you are overrating Kell's one punch power. I don't see him getting a one punch win, and even a combination may not do it.

Khan is far from the complete fighter and all you say is correct. Kell won't expose it, trust me. Kell's hesitance and waiting for the perfect shots may be his undoing. Not that he could not come up with a plan, but I feel that Khan will be just too much in volume and movement and speed. Brook will be hit a fair deal here. I think you are overrating Kell's one punch power. I don't see him getting a one punch win, and even a combination may not do it.

This is quite funny as I'm usually a bit of a critic of Brooks. I'm really not sure about him yet. I think he's looked good up to now but won't really rate him until he does it against someone that punches back. He does look like he has the tools though. Khan would be a good test and is also far ahead of Brook in terms of big fight experience so it would be interesting. I think Khan's handspeed and movement would trouble him for a few rounds alright. After that I see Brook finding his rhythm and timing and wearing Khan down. Khan's volume, movement and speed will lessen the more he is countered. Bit of banter between the 2 aswell so its a good fight to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pity Álvarez has just fought,him vs Khan would be a great fight. May be set this one up with the winner then having some backing for a fight with Mayweather.

This is quite funny as I'm usually a bit of a critic of Brooks. I'm really not sure about him yet. I think he's looked good up to now but won't really rate him until he does it against someone that punches back. He does look like he has the tools though. Khan would be a good test and is also far ahead of Brook in terms of big fight experience so it would be interesting. I think Khan's handspeed and movement would trouble him for a few rounds alright. After that I see Brook finding his rhythm and timing and wearing Khan down. Khan's volume, movement and speed will lessen the more he is countered. Bit of banter between the 2 aswell so its a good fight to make.

Khan's engine is top notch, so unless Brook pressures harder than LP and Maidaina, while also taking the shots Khan will land, I think a wearing down scenario is highly unlikely. Brook would need to considerably alter his fight style and really up the workrate.

• Advertisement

Pity Álvarez has just fought,him vs Khan would be a great fight. May be set this one up with the winner then having some backing for a fight with Mayweather.

Saul is a big JMW and Khan is a big LWW. Too much weight and overall natural size difference here.

Khan's engine is top notch, so unless Brook pressures harder than LP and Maidaina, while also taking the shots Khan will land, I think a wearing down scenario is highly unlikely. Brook would need to considerably alter his fight style and really up the workrate.

I don't think you have to be a pressure fighter to wear someone down. If Khan is constantly countered by sharp hard counters everytime he throws a flurry it will begin to take its toll. I think Brooks a lot more pin point and accurate than the likes of LP and Maidana and will land clean more. He also has a far better jab. As I said Brook isn't really the typical kind of fighter you'd expect to really push Khan but I think he has other qualities that match up well against Amir.

I don't think you have to be a pressure fighter to wear someone down. .

I agree here too, but Khan is the type of figher you need to be on top of. That range, reach and speed will see him keep a lot of men at bay, and you need to lay leather on him. Brook I don't think will do that. Well placed shots every minute or so won't win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

dlofnep wrote: »
    Nobody his age needs testosterone replacement. It's nonsense.

Although this is the case in a much older athlete, it still brings interesting questions to the table for testosterone replacement in boxers

Of course I do not condone any illegal performance enhancing drug use, and if Peterson is guilty of this he should be punished to the full extent of the commissions' capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the fight is called off where does Khan go from here? Surely too late to get any kind of decent replacement in. He can be a plank at times but feel sorry for him now. He's lost his titles in potentially cloudy circumstances and now possibly wasted a few months of his life preparing for a fight that mightn't happen.
    Well Peterson has admitting taking Testosterone replacement back in December. Without a TUE, so the fight fight could easily be rules a no-contest and then the IBF and WBA could rightfully restore the belts to Khan. Or they could make his next fight a title shot for a vacant title.

His camp asking for testing makes a bit more sense now. He was taking TRT back in december when there was no testing. He had finished his cycle and was pushing that angle to wipe the slate clean.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Nobody his age needs testosterone replacement. It's nonsense.
    Needs it. No, of course not. But they can get a doctor to medically justify it.
    Test levels drop with age. Say the average level for a 28 year old is 600ng/dl, and most of the population might be in the range 400-800.
    A fighter like Peterson gets tested and his levels are 480ng/dl
    It's healthy, its in the normal range, he is nowhere near levels that give you problems. But its below average. Remember, 50% of people are below average.

All he needs is for a doctor to prescribe TRT to bring it back to average for his age and away he goes.
    The reality, over aggressive treatment have his levels way above average during camp. They drop back to normal for fight time and he isn't found out and never tells anyone about his test levels issue and treatment.

Speed kills, and that's what would outdo Kell Brook in the end. Khan would get his quick little flurries in, and get the **** out before there were any repercussions.

Lamont outlined Khan's weaknesses and unless Kell Brook intends to completely change the way he boxes, I don't see anything more than a Khan points victory there.

Speed kills, and that's what would outdo Kell Brook in the end. Khan would get his quick little flurries in, and get the **** out before there were any repercussions.

Lamont outlined Khan's weaknesses and unless Kell Brook intends to completely change the way he boxes, I don't see anything more than a Khan points victory there.

Perfect timing and accuracy can counteract speed all day long. The one thing I'll give Brook is he seems to have great timing. Khan lunges in when he throws flurries. Someone with good timing is going to have time to counter Khan before he gets out of there. No doubt about that whether its Brook thats the man to do it or not.

Look at the 3 Pacquaio V Marquez fights. Mannys much quicker but Marquez gave him hell with his timing and accuracy. Now before anyone jumps the gun i'm not comparing Brook to Marquez or Khan to Manny but its just an example that speed doesnt always kill. I don't think there is as big a speed difference between Brook and Khan as there is between Marquez and Manny either.

On a sidenote I've heard people talking about Khan possibly fighting Marquez next. Thoughts?

Great fights stylistically, Marquez would be a big risk for him. Thought Marquez was adamant he was fighting a southpaw in preparation for another Manny bout.

Great fights stylistically, Marquez would be a big risk for him. Thought Marquez was adamant he was fighting a southpaw in preparation for another Manny bout.

I cannot see Marquez being a risk at all. Style or not, too small, and Khan is too fast and too fit. Juan's style of counter punching won't work against a clearly bigger and faster fighter. Khan would do damage to Juan I feel.

• Advertisement

Kell Brook is going to face Carson Jones next in a world title eliminator. Cant blame him for taking the fight if it leads to a title shot but its a very uninspiring fight for me.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/150304.html

Advertisement