Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Khan V Peterson may be off

Options
  • 08-05-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Looks like their rematch may be off after Peterson failed a drug test. They're investigating the findings and say that the results will be released by the end of today. The first fight was class and was really looking forward to the rematch so will be a big shame if this is true. Petersons the one who insisted on additional testing so will be a bit strange if he was taking something..

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7903293/lamont-peterson-tests-positive-banned-substance

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

Mayweather was right about drugs in boxing it seems.A guy pumping himself up with steriods or bull sperm or whatever they take should not be in a ring as when one fighter gets tired the other still has power and strength and a guy could be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Either that or he does not want to fight Pacman..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Some disaster alright. I think the chances of synthetic testosterone having innocently found its way into his system are pretty slim. The fight is surely off at this point. Really disappointing for several reasons, one being that it had the makings of a fantastic rematch. Another being that Khan has possibly been cheated out of at least 6 months of his career. And as for Peterson, I had huge respect for him, what he's been through and the way he carries himself. If this is as bad as it looks his career could be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,014 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If all is verified it casts a serious cloud over all LP has done. It may explain why he was so physically durable and strong in their first bout. Khan hit the guy with a tremedous amount for 12 rds. He just kept coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Does anyone know the results of any tests before or after the last fight?

Me being the cynic I am would guess that a large percentage of top level fighters use EPO in training camps and are able to get around testing easily enough.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the results of any tests before or after the last fight?

Me being the cynic I am would guess that a large percentage of top level fighters use EPO in training camps and are able to get around testing easily enough.

There was no osdt for the last fight. Ironically it was Peterson's camp that asked for it this time around. That just makes the whole thing even stranger.

Very possible that it's rampant. Lots of money at stake and low levels of testing. Not the most ethical business to start with. Wouldn't surprise me at all if emerged that juicing was widespread.

Henno30 wrote: »
    There was no osdt for the last fight. Ironically it was Peterson's camp that asked for it this time around. That just makes the whole thing even stranger.

That could well have been a deliberate ploy in the unlikely case that they themselves get caught. They probably weren't expecting to get caught, but used this as some sort of excuse in case they did.. "Why would we ask for doping tests if we were doping ourselves?"

walshb wrote: »
    That could well have been a deliberate ploy in the unlikely case that they themselves get caught. They probably weren't expecting to get caught, but used this as some sort of excuse in case they did.. "Why would we ask for doping tests if we were doping ourselves?"

I wonder if anyone else uses that strategy :)

I wonder if anyone else uses that strategy :)

That type of ploy is used in Murder She Wrote a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

I was looking forward to seeing curry boy get another hiding tbh.

• Advertisement

Bit OTT, no?

That type of ploy is used in Murder She Wrote a lot.

There's a lot of money in it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Bit OTT, no?

Don't really see the point in comments like that to be honest. Either looking for attention or is a moron. Either way a pointless comment.

Edit: Not your comment walshb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We need Angela Lansbury to clean up boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭corny

Always amazes how much hostility Khan generates in strangers.

Thats a nasty, racist sentiment btw.

Don't really see the point in comments like that to be honest. Either looking for attention or is a moron. Either way a pointless comment.

Edit: Not your comment walshb.

+1 , mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Banned, racism will not be tolerated.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

If the fight is called off where does Khan go from here? Surely too late to get any kind of decent replacement in. He can be a plank at times but feel sorry for him now. He's lost his titles in potentially cloudy circumstances and now possibly wasted a few months of his life preparing for a fight that mightn't happen.

I feel sorry for Khan. The guy has real genuine ambition and wants to meet the best. This is a blow for him. Maybe he should get Prescott in and avenge that defeat. I think he could too, and by stoppage!

I feel sorry for Khan. The guy has real genuine ambition and wants to meet the best. This is a blow for him. Maybe he should get Prescott in and avenge that defeat. I think he could too, and by stoppage!

Not a bad shout at all. Usually I'd say Khan has no need to face Prescott again. Their careers have moved in completely opposite ways since they fought and to face Prescott would be a step backwards. But a loss is a loss and in these circumstances where it may be hard to find a replacement I'd say Khan may be happy enough to take his grievances out on Prescott. I think Prescott would welcome the payday also. I'd back Khan to stop him alright by some kind of mid to late TKO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Seems very weird considering Peterson's team proposed the drug testing

Yeah I dunno who wud take it at short notice, Prescott is a good shout.
    Sick for any people headin over there with their flights booked. Wonder wud Maidana take it.

clubwelly wrote: »
    Seems very weird considering Peterson's team proposed the drug testing

Yeah I dunno who wud take it at short notice, Prescott is a good shout.
    Sick for any people headin over there with their flights booked. Wonder wud Maidana take it.

Maidana took a bad beating from Devon Alexander in that first fight at 147. Hard to know if he's going to stay there. Depends on whether or not he's happy with gatekeeper status I suppose.

I see Peterson's camp are using the testosterone replacement therapy angle. I presume the fight still won't happen but it'll be interesting to see what impact it has on his punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nobody his age needs testosterone replacement. It's nonsense.

I see Peterson's camp are using the testosterone replacement therapy angle. I presume the fight still won't happen but it'll be interesting to see what impact it has on his punishment.

Just like with many athletes who get caught, the red herrings are thrown in, and the authorities buy it, and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Just like with many athletes who get caught, the red herrings are thrown in, and the authorities buy it, and nothing happens.

Its less about buying it and more about going against a doctors word-If doc says this was treatment then they would be risking getting in trouble if they banned him, plus it probably suits them of the truth be known, is very common in Mma

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Its less about buying it and more about going against a doctors word-If doc says this was treatment then they would be risking getting in trouble if they banned him, plus it probably suits them of the truth be known, is very common in Mma

Well then there is the problem. If they cannot implement the drug laws why have them? If a doctor is going to defend a client and the authorities can't do anything out of a fear of getting into trouble, then the whole system is flawed. Simple: List of drugs not allowed: if in the system, no ifs, no buts, ban! You can't have a system where an athlete and his doctor, for example, can throw in red herrings to get away. Oh, it was an accident, he was having treatment, he ate the dogs dinner by accident, he accidentally inhaled the drug at a party etc etc etc. Like An Post says about the TV licence, we've heard all the excuses, and they don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

no 28 year old man needs TRT.

Floyd was right implementing the random drug testing.

Anyone who follows MMA will know the NSAC isn't up to much usually, but when they did a random drug test recently on Alistair Overeem he got stung badly. Normally they only test very close to fight time so any boxers/MMArtists can juice all year and taper off the few days before a test. I'd say there's a lot of it going on in boxing, and even more of it going on in MMA. It's sad really, these guys will be the worse for it when their careers are over, and their promoter won't give two damns.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Nobody his age needs testosterone replacement. It's nonsense.

Obviously it's nonsense but that's not the point. The point is TRT is a controversial issue in MMA, and it seems to me at least that how the NSAC deal with Peterson has implications for how they deal with it there. It also has implications for Golden Boy's position vis-a-vis their impending lawsuit against Peterson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Any form of treatment like that should surely have the commission informed. These are professional boxers, their lifestyles are meticulously taken care of to prevent problems like this.

Very dodgy.

Advertisement