Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Question for the seasoned FIFA vets on here.

I'm wondering is there anyway to effectively use a target man in Fifa 13 i.e. to lump it up to your number 9 for him to knock it down to supporting players or get the ball out wide and swing in a teasing ball. I'm talking high pressure, high temp kind of play.

I wouldn't mind adapting my style of play but because of the way opposing players play the game it just end up with me giving away possession and getting dominated against teams who keep the ball on the ground.

Sometimes I find the tippy tappy passing gameplay a wee bit boring and one dimensional.

Thanks for your time,

Haha Jack Charlton, welcome to boards :pac:

Try playing with Germany or Bayern and Gomez is your man there. He'll clean up in the air, for knockdowns and goals. Likewise with Ath. Bilbao and Spain with Llorente. There's plenty of teams that use the target man. You just have to find them mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

eioneill wrote: »
    Haha Jack Charlton, welcome to boards :pac:

Try playing with Germany or Bayern and Gomez is your man there. He'll clean up in the air, for knockdowns and goals. Likewise with Ath. Bilbao and Spain with Llorente. There's plenty of teams that use the target man. You just have to find them mate.

:D Good man, So its just a matter of picking a team that has a target man with all the required stats to suit that particular style of play? Makes sense.

I'm am concerned about using the Jack Charlton approach online as I feel I will get torn apart by teams with a shall we say.........more efficient approach to the game.

Any thoughts?

:D Good man, So its just a matter of picking a team that has a target man with all the required stats to suit that particular style of play? Makes sense.

I'm am concerned about using the Jack Charlton approach online as I feel I will get torn apart by teams with a shall we say.........more efficient approach to the game.

Any thoughts?

The direct aproach will work but you'll need to mix it up. The target man with 2 wingers whipping the ball on to his head to play to his strengths. I usually change the formation to have an AM playing off the big lad to mop up or get on the end of any rebounds when I play with the Germans. Ozil or Mueller are perfect in that position.

eioneill wrote: »
    The direct aproach will work but you'll need to mix it up. The target man with 2 wingers whipping the ball on to his head to play to his strengths. I usually change the formation to have an AM playing off the big lad to mop up or get on the end of any rebounds when I play with the Germans. Ozil or Mueller are perfect in that position.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I'm toying with the idea of playing with 3 strikers but this will leave me very exposed at the back. I guess a week of trial and error is on the cards

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I'm toying with the idea of playing with 3 strikers but this will leave me very exposed at the back. I guess a week of trial and error is on the cards

As off 2012 there is no effective way of using a target man.

You can just as easily clean up from crosses if they're put into the right area(under powered to give the striker a run at it, so assisted crossing is out of the question) with anyone off decent height and strength.

When playing general long balls from defence, it's just as easy to play them to small players as touch/heading from that position is pretty much consistent across the board. I used this a lot from my wing backs.

There's also been that consistent problem from kick outs and an advanced position where the second striker always runs offside for any headers advanced forward by his team mate.
    Up until 12 your second striker drifts offside a lot(if you go to cross, and turn back, the strikers will be standing offside 99% of the time meaning you can't cross an inswinger)

However with the new additions in 13, it may be a bigger advantage. Players will now try to stay onside so you can win those central long balls to head better, and with the new first touch you may be able to hold it up better if playing a long ball into his chest/feet.
    This was a solid tactic in the World Cup game as when you got it in, you could shield the ball holding R2 in a way that protected it properly(they removed this after) and it was easier to take it on the chest keeping the defender behind.

Will need to see the new game online, but it's defo more of an option this year than last for certain(on what's been seen so far).

• Advertisement

You also get free kicks for defenders climbing and coming through the back of you which is a welcome addition. Use L2 to back into defenders and with Fifa 13 I've noticed the timing of headers is is a lot more important. Cant wait to get online with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Is there anyway to bring a custom formation over from fifa 12 to 13? Dont want to have to try and do it again

Is there anyway to bring a custom formation over from fifa 12 to 13? Dont want to have to try and do it again

It only takes 5mins. Hardly a massive outlay for something you'll use for nearly a year.

And no there isn't either way. I don't think they're that much work to provide the provisions for it.

Seriously considering getting the season pass for early play of the game.

I have 1000 MS points on my account that I have had since around Christmas and the fact that you can play UT in the early release this year (and you get free packs of cards) makes it a lot more appealing compared to last year.

Hmmm

There's no early access for PC users, seems to be just 360 and PS3. Cant find any mention of it on the EA website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Games been sold in Austria it seems.

Another week. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Really enjoying the demo on world class , usually stuck to pro, but have got some right stuffings , but slowly getting there got a few wins today dortmund are immense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

7 days to go :) 8 for some :P looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

saiint wrote: »
    7 days to go :) 8 for some :P looking forward to it :D

2 days for others. :D

Kirby wrote: »
    2 days for others. :D

damn yanks haha
    strange how they get it first though since its more popular in the EU

damn yanks haha

Hes talking about the week early release of the game for people with the EA season pass.

Usually its 3 days before the game is released but this year its 6 days.

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/news/ea-sports-season-ticket-fifa-13-faq-02

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Hes talking about the week early release of the game for people with the EA season pass.

Americans are still getting it early though. Think about 2 days before we get it here. Bit annoying but sure it's not like it makes a huge difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

What are you lot going to do 1st on FIFA 13

Start Career Mode?

Create VP/Online Pro Clubs?

Online H2H Season?

Ultimate Team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Start Career Mode?

Online H2H Season?

Ultimate Team?

I'll probably start off with H2H Seasons and get to Division 1, with a little bit of Ultimate Team thrown in to mix it up. After that it will be pretty much all Ultimate Team.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Start Career Mode?

Online H2H Season?

Ultimate Team?

This. Only two things I play FIFA for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Giggsy_

damn yanks haha

Usually its 3 days before the game is released but this year its 6 days.

Is it too late to buy the season ticket ... I assume you'll find it on the playstation store ???

Giggsy_ wrote: »
    Is it too late to buy the season ticket ... I assume you'll find it on the playstation store ???

You can still buy it.

I'm on Xbox but Ye Id assume it's somewhere on the PlayStation store. Just search EA sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gonna start career mode in airtricity league. Never played h2h or ultimate team so will have a look at them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Start Career Mode?

Online H2H Season?

Ultimate Team?

I play online quite a bit but unlike loads here I do love a good career mode. I'll probably start a United career for the first month and then find a lower stature team with nice players and make them a powerhouse.

H2H Seasons and Ultimate team then.

Then I'll make my Virtual Pro and join the boards team before getting booted after a month or two because I don't play it every night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Start Career Mode? 1

Create VP/Online Pro Clubs? 3

Online H2H Season? 2

Ultimate Team? nope

That order. Dont play ultimate team played it last year because I got the free packs, bit boring.

I like the sound of the improvements in career mode though so will look at that 1st while getting used to gameplay. Didnt play the demo so the actual game will be the first time I play it

il be playing h2h
    dont like ultimate team that much abit boring just cant get into it even with all the free packs ha

also will be playing abit of career mode
    i like it the odd time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

have to agree that dortmund are class on the demo, that squad is ripe for the picking in career mode.Lewandowski, Reus, Gundogan etc.....

think career mode and h2h seasons are all il play cant seem to get into ultimate team much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Id like to give UT a proper go this year but the lack of a manual filter online is annoying. Other than that Il probably be playing H2H a fair bit and continue on my european dominance with St Etienne in career mode:D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Has anyone being able to get the the second/third player to do a step-over on free kicks? I followed the instructions I got off a few videos on youtube but still can't get them to work.

The little chip lay off you're able to do on free kicks is class though.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Has anyone being able to get the the second/third player to do a step-over on free kicks? I followed the instructions I got off a few videos on youtube but still can't get them to work.

The little chip lay off you're able to do on free kicks is class though.

What's this?

Advertisement