Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian Journalist advocates being a hairy lady

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Hair on a woman is ****ing disgusting. She looks likes she smells tbh

How is it disgusting or unhygenic as other posters have said? As long as you shower properly daily, I don't see a problem. Men generally don't shave under their armpits, legs and genitals and their hygiene is not questioned once they shower regularly.

Each to their own....I shave my legs and armpits and trim down there because I want to but the idea that people would label me disgusting or unhygienic for not doing so is what I have a problem with. If people don't find it attractive, that's one thing...but calling hair disgusting?? How odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    How is it disgusting or unhygenic as other posters have said? As long as you shower properly daily, I don't see a problem. Men generally don't shave under their armpits, legs and genitals and their hygiene is not questioned once they shower regularly.

Each to their own....I shave my legs and armpits and trim down there because I want to but the idea that people would label me disgusting or unhygienic for not doing so is what I have a problem with. If people don't find it attractive, that's one thing...but calling hair disgusting?? How odd.

It's just my personal opinion that it looks disgusting. I used to wax people when I worked as a beautician and I can tell you in a lot of cases it makes people more unhygienic and smelly. I just don't understand why people would want to be hairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

It's just my personal opinion that it looks disgusting. I used to wax people when I worked as a beautician and I can tell you in a lot of cases it makes people more unhygienic and smelly. I just don't understand why people would want to be hairy.

Does a man having body hair make him more unhygenic? Or do we reserve that judgement for other women? And why is the worst consequence possible portrayed as being unattractive to men? Is that the worst thing in life, really?

Men who don't shave their legs or chests or whatever aren't assumed to smell, but women who don't conform all the way to the stereotypes are considered so alien we can fling all kinds of stupid judgments at them.

I have to admire her for resisting the pressure to conform. I conform all the way, but I'd like to have to confidence not to, if I so choose.

I'm talking about genitals here. Obviously a woman is open down there so a lot of hair in that area mixed with sweat etc is going to cause a smell. Men wouldnt be as bad but obviously if someone doesnt shower they are goin to smell. Oh god were not goin to have a hairy mary rebellion are we:eek::pac:

I'm talking about genitals here. Obviously a woman is open down there so a lot of hair in that area mixed with sweat etc is going to cause a smell. Men wouldnt be as bad but obviously if someone doesnt shower they are goin to smell. Oh god were not goin to have a hairy mary rebellion are we:eek::pac:

A hairy mary rebellion?

Because women who don't remove their pubic hair are going to smell? Seriously, the only thing thats going to cause a smell is lack of personal hygiene, not a few bits of hair.

If anything I'd say men are more likely to smell with the whole dribble issue, but nobody is suggesting they don't go bald they are in some way disgusting. :(

• Advertisement

Giselle wrote: »
    A hairy mary rebellion?

Because women who don't remove their pubic hair are going to smell? Seriously, the only thing thats going to cause a smell is lack of personal hygiene, not a few bits of hair.

If anything I'd say men are more likely to smell with the whole dribble issue, but nobody is suggesting they don't go bald they are in some way disgusting. :(

Oh I'm anti-bush with both sexes I think men should trim down there too. I'm not talking about a few hairs but loads of hair. It makes my skin crawl to be honest:(

I'm not talking about a few hairs but loads of hair. It makes my skin crawl to be honest:(

I suppose my point is that having hair is the normal state, not bald.

I'm a hypocrite myself when it comes to this, but I don't think we should accept the unnatural state as normal, and the normal pubey state of affairs as somehow disgusting.

Poor hygiene, now that IS disgusting!

Oh for the love of god...last time i checked my vagina was on the inside, not the outside and hair doesnt grow inside my vag. You do realise that, don't you? I keep my hair trimmed and I've no problems with smell. I shower everyday.

Men's genitals are exposed, not women's. :rolleyes: Hairy Mary ffs....grow up.

Oh I'm anti-bush with both sexes I think men should trim down there too. I'm not talking about a few hairs but loads of hair. It makes my skin crawl to be honest:(

So some hair is okay? I thought you meant hair full stop is disgusting. That's how I read it. If that's not what you meant, my apologies.

Oh for the love of god...last time i checked my vagina was on the inside, not the outside and hair doesnt grow inside my vag. You do realise that, don't you? I keep my hair trimmed and I've no problems with smell. I shower everyday.

Men's genitals are exposed, not women's. :rolleyes: Hairy Mary ffs....grow up.

Ah jesus lighten up. I've probably had too many bad experiences from waxing fannys. I just don't like hair and have a thing about hygiene down there. Each to there own though.

• Advertisement

So some hair is okay? I thought you meant hair full stop is disgusting. That's how I read it. If that's not what you meant, my apologies.

Yes that's what I meant. I don't like the completely baldy look but I can't stand loads of hair.

Ah jesus lighten up. I've probably had too many bad experiences from waxing fannys. I just don't like hair and have a thing about hygiene down there. Each to there own though.

I'm completely lightened up. No problems. This doesn't keep me awake at night. Seems it's more of an issue for you than me. I just get on with it. Just trying to get my head round the idea of why it might be disgusting (provided it's maintained and you shower daily). Each to their own as you say....luckily we won't be riding any time soon ;)

I'm completely lightened up. No problems. This doesn't keep me awake at night. Seems it's more of an issue for you than me. I just get on with it. Just trying to get my head round the idea of why it might be disgusting (provided it's maintained and you shower daily). Each to their own as you say....luckily we won't be riding any time soon ;)

Haha ah I don't mind a bit of hair but once it's starts going curly it freaks me out:o Could be a touch of a phobia though. Pubaphobia?:pac: Ah sure a ride would be grand just no oral for you ;):pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Totally bald looks like a babies = wrong in the bedroom!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Whilst studying in the states I was finding it hard meeting wimmin, me bein' sarcastic an' thems finding it rude. Anyhow it was 1999 and internet chat rooms were all the rage. I met a girl online. She was funny, cheeky and sarcastic and we exchanged pictures. She was very hot.We agreed to meet. We got on like a house on fire. At the end of date three she told me she had confession to make. She didn't shave. Anywhere. She didn't like being expected to. She showed me her legs. and a pit. I felt ill. It was the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

calfmuscle wrote: »

I've often heard people saying this and it just sounds ridiculous. You cant seriously say an adult woman with a bald vagina looks like a baby.:confused:

I've often heard people saying this and it just sounds ridiculous. You cant seriously say an adult woman with a bald vagina looks like a baby.:confused:

Definitely does, maybe prepubescent is more accurate than baby though. Either way its child like.

All women have a bald vagina. None of us is hairy on the inside ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Cannot understand the appeal of no lady garden whatsoever (or the pain endured to be totally hair-free!) but an overgrown, tangled forest would be manky in fairness, and bound to be unhygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I used to be fierce into riot grrrl as a teenager.... Since bikini kill are getting a mention here!

Anyways.... I only started shaving at 19, second wave of feminism and all that. I got some awful comments from people. Well mainly women over it.

Along the lines of "oh its disgusting" and my favourite "It's not a normal thing to do though is it?"

So I can see where shes coming from.

Any lad that knew was just like.. "Well I wouldn't be into it myself but eh.. fair ****s for eh..not giving a **** I suppose". One or two did describe it as a rotten all the same or you look well but that just makes you disgusting.

Would I let it all grow again?

Nope. I like the feeling of fresh bed clothes on newly shaved legs too much!!! I didn't grow it out due to laziness it was my teenage way of rebelling against gender stereotypes.

I have heard of lads saying even stubble on a womans legs made them feel ill though.. I'd grow it out just to horrify them!!!

• Advertisement

Definitely does, maybe prepubescent is more accurate than baby though. Either way its child like.

Err no its not. Its still attached to a fully grown and developed adult female. Are you seriously trying to put a "anyone who likes a woman with shaved pubes is a secret paedophile" slant on this?

Err no its not. Its still attached to a fully grown and developed adult female. Are you seriously trying to put a "anyone who likes a woman with shaved pubes is a secret paedophile" slant on this?

yes thats exactly what im doing :rolleyes: paedophiles all paedophiles!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's always one... This statement is completely ridiculous! If you don't know how much difference there is between a developed vagina and a prepubescent vagina then there's something wrong with you.

Even if you do know the difference, but still think that when you see a bald one, then you have issues because you assume somehow that liking a bald one would imply you'd like pedophilia or something.

I don't know how you can possibly relate a developed woman's body to a baby/young girl in a sexual way.

yes thats exactly what im doing :rolleyes: paedophiles all paedophiles!:pac:

What other conclusion would you expect someone to draw from the statement "Definitely does, maybe prepubescent is more accurate than baby though. Either way its child like."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I'm a woman - I shave and wax. I do it for no other reason than I hate the feeling of hair on my legs (especially when i rub one leg off the other - I love the silky smooth feeling) and hair under my arms makes me sweaty and generally makes me feel like I need a wash.
    My husband couldn't give two ****es if I shave or not as long as I'm still getting naked in some way.:rolleyes:

Shave, don't shave - noone cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I used to be fierce into riot grrrl as a teenager.... Since bikini kill are getting a mention here!

This is probably the most times Bikini Kill will be mentioned on the internet for .... well, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    That's not her logic at all :rolleyes: She's not rebelling against hygiene, she's campaigning against what women are expected to look like.

It is expected that women use sanitary protection and deodorant, however sweat and menstrual blood are natural. They only pose a hygiene/odour issue when bacteria contaminate them. So showering would eliminate the hygiene concern.

Haha ah I don't mind a bit of hair but once it's starts going curly it freaks me out:o Could be a touch of a phobia though. Pubaphobia?:pac: Ah sure a ride would be grand just no oral for you ;):pac::pac:

Your loss! *Flicks hair and flounces off...."

Your loss! *Flicks hair and flounces off...."

Hair on your head I hope :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jezek wrote: »
    ...'liberal' and 'educated' ...

Jeez, are these bad things now?

Advertisement