Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian Journalist advocates being a hairy lady

Options
  • 02-05-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Just reading the guardian because I think I'm so enlightened and came upon this article.
    Ladies: why you should stop shaving

Luckily for you, I have conducted an 18-month experiment and can tell you that there is nothing to fear from going hairy

She then goes on to talk about all the men she's been with that don't mind it or even like it, and that cruel people made fun of her on the tube ( could hear the bitterness in her voice in that bit)

Overall, I think she comes off a bit hysterical, as if shaving isn't a personal choice but a mandate. In the last paragraph she says
    Remember that you are doing the necessary and important work of challenging stupid, arbitrary, gendered bull****. And when you get to feminist heaven, Judith Butler and Simone de Beauvoir will be waiting with bubbly wine, a corn-fed organic roast chicken, Bikini Kill and the entire cast of Monty Python. Do you want to miss that party?

If that didn't make you throw up a bit in your mouth, then congrats, you are the sort of 'liberal' and 'educated' person the guardian is aimed at.

But then again, maybe she is trolling? In any case I predict that she's the next Samantha Brick.

P.S. Hmm..no picture of her all hirsute (hersute?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

She sounds like a complete tool to be honest. Women shave, men shave... it's a personal choice and it looks a hell of a lot better 99% of the time. To associate it with some kind of sexist ritual is complete bollox.

p.s. feminist heaven my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I bet she's got a fanny like Gandalf's beard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

smash wrote: »
    She sounds like a complete tool to be honest.

Well the woman who wrote the article is called Emer O'Toole.

Make of that what you will :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

phasers wrote: »
    I bet she's got a fanny like Gandalf's beard

I bet she's got one like his sleeve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

:eek:

*paging hairyprincess to thread*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Oh No. Women with hair in places nature intended for women to have hair OMG :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was this in Comment Is Free? Loonie lefties to a hairy man and woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

As this annual onslaught on a woman's right to hide her shameful, sub-beautiful physicality marches nearer, many of you will be wondering: what will I do with my body hair?

Shave.
    Then, in a completely un-hair-related twist, we broke up. So I did what single girls in London do, and had ALL the boyfriends. None of them minded (some of them liked it). And then one of the boyfriends turned out to be completely amazing so I made him the only boyfriend. He is also proud of me

Obliterating gender stereotypes there.
    I smell exactly the same as I did before – a bit like soap after showering, and a bit like Christmas cake first thing in the morning.

No you smell revolting.
    • This article is an edited version of a piece that ran on the Vagendablog

Well then, no contrived reactionary progressive agenda there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Sindri wrote: »

No you smell revolting.

Assuming that you are male, do you remove all of your body hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Gyalist wrote: »
    Assuming that you are male, do you remove all of your body hair?

With a tweezers. ;)

Daily!

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Oh No. Women with hair in places nature intended for women to have hair OMG :eek:.

Hardly the point? the point is that it's personal choice and to most people it looks and feels better yet she portrays it as being some kind of oppression.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what a load of sh!te

i have as little time for people telling me what i shouldn't be doing based on their own insecurities and neuroses as i do for people telling me what i should be doing based on same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

So the only way to get to a feminist heaven is not to conform to the basic hygiene standards. But then again, not to shave is the easiest form of protest against gender inequalities. All you need to do is to be lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

She can kiss goodbye to getting her box eaten then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't give a sh1te if ya wanna go hairy. Go for it. Fair play. But don't tell other women they have to do the same.

She's just as bad as people pressuring women to be completely hairless.

She needs to go get herself a nice brazilian wax. And then have herself a good ride. That'll soon change her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I think you've just contradicted yourself a bit there, Jezek...
    Jezek wrote: »
    Overall, I think she comes off a bit hysterical, as if shaving isn't a personal choice but a mandate.

Okay, so you feel that shaving is a personal choice, not something that women feel obliged to do? Got it.
    She then goes on to talk about all the men she's been with that don't mind it or even like it, and that cruel people made fun of her on the tube ( could hear the bitterness in her voice in that bit)

Oh, so wait, now you admit that actually people on the tube - society - does actually exert pressure and influence over women to look a certain way. Right. I don't think that you know what you're talking about.

But then again, maybe she is trolling? In any case I predict that she's the next Samantha Brick.

How can she be compared to Samantha Brick? As far as I remember, SB was a deluded and vacuous idiot, whereas this author is just questioning a Western gender stereotype.
    If that didn't make you throw up a bit in your mouth, then congrats, you are the sort of 'liberal' and 'educated' person the guardian is aimed at.

Hmm, well The Guardian's a little bit too grown up and sophisticated for you. Maybe you'd be more comfortable with The Sun? They've got tits in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Bikini Kill

Ah, Bikini Kill. The only band I listened to growing up that was guaranteed to get my dad to threaten to burn my record collection.

Now I kinda see his point. I must be getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Riddle101

So they have a seperate heaven for feminists now? Or is that another name for the heaven that dogs go to.

Yeah was going to post a witty Pics of GTFO comment, but then actually saw the woman's pic in the article. My god, whatever men dated her must have been blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Was in the airport a couple of months back, very pretty girl in a very pretty dress. Yum says I (mentally) then I noticed her legs were as hairy as mine... Insta turn off...

Sure women are free to do what they like but hairy armpits and legs on girls is icky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sure women are free to do what they like but hairy armpits and legs on girls is icky.

but ye can't beat a big hairy arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

wilkie2006 wrote: »

Hmm, well The Guardian's a little bit too grown up and sophisticated for you. Maybe you'd be more comfortable with The Sun? They've got tits in that.

I know , I was just trying to find the page 3 feature of the Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

The Guardian once again trying to find injustice where there is no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭p to the e

P.S. Hmm..no picture of her all hirsute (hersute?)

Don't you mean "hair suit"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If I wanted to get with a hairy woman I'd just get with a man.

I like women who shave, that's my preference but.........you know.........preferences never come up in these arguments / ramblings. Lots of women also like to shave but, judging from the article, it's probably society's fault for that.

Society has obviously locked me and those women into a box into what we should be doing and liking..............fortunately, we have these "free" people outside of the box to help tell us what we should be doing and liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

wilkie2006 wrote: »

Typical Guardian reader's attitude right there.

Who know's? Maybe next you will call a reader of the telegraph or the times a moron or an idiot because they don't agree with your far left tendencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

She can kiss goodbye to getting her box eaten then.

Box! I know they say most of the nutrition in cornflakes is in the box but I didn't think anyone took them seriously. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I really, really do not like hairless female genitals. I know the world is currently against me, but I don't care. It is seriously off-putting.

I'd still favor a woman with a spotty angry box, but who can string a coherent argument together over one with a full bush who could look over that article and think "yeah, that'll do."

I really, really do not like hairless female genitals.

I do.

nom nom nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

FFS! STOP USING THE WORD BOX! :mad:

Advertisement