Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian Journalist advocates being a hairy lady

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

smash wrote: »
    I do.

nom nom nom.

good for you :)

it seems there is plenty of it going round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

:eek:

*paging hairyprincess to thread*

Did someone call?

Sorry I was busy plaiting my underarm hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Did someone call?

:eek: where's the vomit smiley when needed.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wow. That's actually my best mates sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

FFS! STOP USING THE WORD BOX! :mad:
    Why? Christmas box, wooden box, jewelery box, cardboard box, box in the head, box in the gob, box room etc. Most of which have uses, just the same as that other box, whether hairy or not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

The Guardian is to journalism what a hairy minge is to a gay man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I don't give a sh1te if ya wanna go hairy. Go for it. Fair play. But don't tell other women they have to do the same.

She's just as bad as people pressuring women to be completely hairless.

I completely agree with this. Everyone should be entitled - and encouraged - to do what they want.

What I find distasteful about this thread is that the majority of comments are lambasting the author, suggesting that she's attention-seeking. There are even questions about whether she's trolling!!! :eek: For what? Saying that being hairy is a legitimate alternative?

All she's doing is helping to normalise hair on women. Fair play to her. I think that more cosmetic standards should be challenged. Freedom of choice should be the 'norm', not the micro issue of hair or no hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Whatever about the message - I wouldn't have much of a problem at all if my girlfriend decided to stop shaving - the article reads like it's written by a hyperactive 13-year-old Justin Bieber fan.

"The man I was going out with when the experiment began was a little apprehensive when I unveiled my innovative grooming plans, but when I actually grew the hair out he was proud of me. One evening, friends of ours asked him a variation of the above question, and he said: "If I was a girl, I wouldn't shave my legs." Because he is awesome. Then, in a completely un-hair-related twist, we broke up. So I did what single girls in London do, and had ALL the boyfriends. None of them minded (some of them liked it). And then one of the boyfriends turned out to be completely amazing so I made him the only boyfriend. He is also proud of me."

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    All she's doing is helping to normalise hair on women.

No she's not. She saying that women who shave should stop and she's saying it's a form of sexism and/or oppression. It's neither, it's personal choice and men do it too these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

FFS! STOP USING THE WORD BOX! :mad:
    Is it ok if we use 'bosca'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What I find distasteful about this thread is that the majority of comments are lambasting the author, suggesting that she's attention-seeking. There are even questions about whether she's trolling!!! :eek: For what? Saying that being hairy is a legitimate alternative?

No, for her clearly flippant and exaggerated writing style, e.g.
    "I was nervous the first few times I went swimming lest other swimmers would try to drown me"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Why? Christmas box, wooden box, jewelery box, cardboard box, box in the head, box in the gob, box room etc. Most of which have uses, just the same as that other box, whether hairy or not!

Box in the gob, box in the head - now you're talking.

I don't agree with the fundamental message, and while I do believe people are entitled to their own beliefs and practices, I don't particularly like the tone of the article much.
    Remember that you are doing the necessary and important work of challenging stupid, arbitrary, gendered bull****.

Why does either gender shave full stop, if one is to take that view? It doesn't necessarily have to be limited to one gender - Why don't all men walk around with large bushy beards? It's less aesthetically appealing, largely,and I don't think that it's necessarily always an inherently bad thing. Not to mention, shaving, to both genders, forms part of a familiar routine - not some barbaric ritual stifling an individuals sense of self, as is sort of advocated in the article.

Still, however, you have the admire the dedication of an individual to that extent - thick skin required. I don't particularly care about whether or not a woman shaves or grooms certain parts of her anatomy, but I would readily admit that a girl with hairy legs would be something I would find physically off putting - much in the same way many women would find it extremely off putting if their boyfriend decided to grow a big, bushy beard. But I don't think it's right to label that as 'stupid bull****'.

bluewolf wrote: »
    No, for her clearly flippant and exaggerated writing style, e.g.
    "I was nervous the first few times I went swimming lest other swimmers would try to drown me"

I quite enjoyed her style of writing. I think she did really well to communicate her point in a light-hearted way and without recourse to a traditionally butch, feminist voice.

I quite enjoyed her style of writing. I think she did really well to communicate her point in a light-hearted way and without recourse to a traditionally butch, feminist voice.

Actually, that's one point I agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Did someone call?

Rapunzel, Rapunzel.......

No she's not. She saying that women who shave should stop and she's saying it's a form of sexism and/or oppression. It's neither, it's personal choice and men do it too these days.

Is it? Well, maybe for some women but I'm sure that there are a hell of a lot who do it because they're afraid of this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/02/ladies-why-you-should-stop-shaving

Don't people point and laugh at you in public?
    Yes. Sometimes people do look at you as if it is the 19th century and they have paid a ha'penny to attend a freak-show, saying: "Ha ha ha. Look at the hairy lady – just like Julia Roberts that time shelost the plot." Note to tube users: if you whisper and giggle behind your hand while staring straight at a fellow passenger, she will probably know that you are talking about her. For a hand is not a massive opaque screen. It is a hand.
    Randomers point and laugh at my legs and armpits in public sometimes.
    I think that if you're a woman and you want to shave then great, you're in the right society. If you're a woman and you don't want to shave then tough $hit, do it or face the public's opprobrium. It's not oppression if you fall into the former category but it is if you're in the latter one.
    ...and men do it too these days.

It's not expected of men though and those who do shave their chest etc generally do it because they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Well the woman who wrote the article is called Emer O'Toole.

Make of that what you will :cool:
    Yeah, a bit of quick googling it appears she's Irish:pac:, went to NUI Galway and Trinity.
    *grabs popcorn*

Wonder if she has an account here......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hair on a woman is ****ing disgusting. She looks likes she smells tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Nothing to fear from going hairy?

Wtf, has she just hit puberty??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

roast wrote: »
    Nothing to fear from going hairy?

Wtf, has she just hit puberty??

She is probably to mean to get a wax or a razor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I love the Guardian, nothing gets the information starved nuright foaming round the mouth as efficiently.

Remember that you are doing the necessary and important work of challenging stupid, arbitrary, gendered bull****.
    Why does either gender shave full stop, if one is to take that view? It doesn't necessarily have to be limited to one gender - Why don't all men walk around with large bushy beards? It's less aesthetically appealing, largely,and I don't think that it's necessarily always an inherently bad thing. Not to mention, shaving, to both genders, forms part of a familiar routine - not some barbaric ritual stifling an individuals sense of self, as is sort of advocated in the article.

I think the issue is that if you saw someone like this, this, this, or this on the bus you wouldn't look twice. If you saw this you would or you'd comment on it (even to yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Shaving may not be natural, but then again, neither is wiping your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I think the issue is that if you saw someone like this, this, this, or this on the bus you wouldn't look twice. If you saw this you would or you'd comment on it (even to yourself).

I'm pretty sure I'd look twice if Jack Black or George Clooney were on the same bus as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Why would a woman want to look like that?
    By her own logic she should stop using sanitary towels/tampons, after all a period is a natural as body hair - society expects us to use them though (and the sane among us agree).

On the other side of the scale I would expect a man to trim his pubic hair and hate overgrown beards.

BO is natural too - imagine all Irish women running around hairy and smelly with blood running down our legs.

And apparently most men think we're ugly now ........................

Why would a woman want to look like that?
    By her own logic she should stop using sanitary towels/tampons, after all a period is a natural as body hair - society expects us to use them though (and the sane among us agree).

On the other side of the scale I would expect a man to trim his pubic hair and hate overgrown beards.

BO is natural too - imagine all Irish women running around hairy and smelly with blood running down our legs.

And apparently most men think we're ugly now ........................

That's not her logic at all :rolleyes: She's not rebelling against hygiene, she's campaigning against what women are expected to look like.

That's not her logic at all :rolleyes: She's not rebelling against hygiene, she's campaigning against what women are expected to look like.

Shaving body hair is something that people have done for centuries. It isn't a new thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Shave or don't hardly see it as an issue tbh makes woman look like morons if they feel the pressure to confirm to what to do with their hairy bits .

And it's hardly a massive statement not shaving been done before and IMO like not wearing bras it serves no real purpose other than making your pits honk even more ( said in a butch voice )

Advertisement