Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway, fresh start thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

crusher000 wrote: »
    Unfortunately this will be the trend. Those in power want to crush any signs of dis obedience or voice of concerns towards their doomed policies. We are now entering the era where German policy is to be European policy. The growth of Germany must be protected and it is being sold as the European recovery program. Long live Adolf Merkel. Folks we're in dangerous times but some peolpe are in denial or don't won't to face up to what's happening.Occupy Galway is as much a mind set as it was a camp in Eyre Square.

Finally, so the Occupy movements' main aim is to prevent the growth and empowerment of Germany and camping in Eyre Square was going to assist with this.......
    At last. I was wondering what the hole occupy movement was about for ages.

Good to see these guys moved on, should have been done ages ago. They stuck their middle fingers up to the law abiding citizens of this country.
    If you want to make change, do it via legal and democratic means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Unfortunately this will be the trend. Those in power want to crush any signs of dis obedience or voice of concerns towards their doomed policies. We are now entering the era where German policy is to be European policy. The growth of Germany must be protected and it is being sold as the European recovery program. Long live Adolf Merkel. Folks we're in dangerous times but some peolpe are in denial or don't won't to face up to what's happening.Occupy Galway is as much a mind set as it was a camp in Eyre Square.

The planet is finished on 21st December 2012 so no need to worry yourself there.

.....but you probably knew that already, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well they're gone this morning :) gardai finally got rid of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

jkforde wrote: »
    I'm curious, have any the posters here who are rabidly rejoicing in their removal or who childishly resort to name calling or insults ever raised their voice or walked the walk in protest for the greater social good? it's so lazy being self-righteous when you don't put anything of yourself on the line. while their occupation didn't achieve any tangible results at least they have had the courage to try and catalyse some social change for a fairer society.
    If they wanted to do something for the common good, they should go get a job for themselves and start paying taxes to contribute to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Listening to the City manager on the radio and he said this was a serious health hazard, the were going to the toilet at the back of the camp and the stench when they moved in today was terrible, the smell is still there he says and they will need to hose and disinfect several times.

Glad its gone to be honest.

Well, I hope they are as vigorous in dealing with the countless winos who piss all over the Square in plain view of people day and night if that's the case!!!!

City Manager in stir up the anti-occupy crowd BS shocker..........:rolleyes:
    What's even funnier is that some people still believe the lines of crap that these "people" in authority feed us!!!

• Advertisement

kevin65 wrote: »
    If they wanted to do something for the common good, they should go get a job for themselves and start paying taxes to contribute to the state.

Seriously, good man........If that's your response then you obviously don't know whats going on in the world as a whole!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Listening to the City manager on the radio and he said this was a serious health hazard, the were going to the toilet at the back of the camp and the stench when they moved in today was terrible, the smell is still there he says and they will need to hose and disinfect several times.

Glad its gone to be honest.

That stench was in that spot long before occupy galway, homeless folk in the city have used that spot as a toilet ever since the square was developed. Sure the city streets become toilets most weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Seriously, good man........If that's your response then you obviously don't know whats going on in the world as a whole!!!:confused:
    Guess I don't, must be all those years of working hard and paying my taxes that makes me so oblivious to the wonderful work of the eyre square protestors. Perhaps you could enlighten about the positive contribution these guys have made to Galway, Ireland and the world in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Same as ever was i'd say, people living. people dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

For sale:

6 x tents

30 x pallets

1 x big shanty shed

6 x camping chairs

All the above can be viewed at the Galway City Council Yard in Sandy Road :D

• Advertisement

Guess I don't, must be all those years of working hard and paying my taxes that makes me so oblivious to the wonderful work of the eyre square protestors. Perhaps you could enlighten about the positive contribution these guys have made to Galway, Ireland and the world in general?

I was kinda busy myself working the past 5 years towards a degree for which I completed my last exam Friday gone so I'm not hugely up to date with world finances and all that jazz. But I do know it's ever so difficult to get a job in the midst of financial/economical breakdown.

These guys were just making a stand and for that I applaud them. I don't have a problem with them being moved on with regards to the aspects of the law but I do have a problem with the attitude of some people towards them.
    I've been reading posts here and on FaceBook where people have called them all sorts of names and I cannot stand that sort of thing. By all means, disagree with their stance but do not start shouting about them getting the jobs that aren't there.

Bit off topic here as well but I'm gonna put it out there......43 of us just finished science (microbiology) degrees last week and already we've seen the difficulty in getting these jobs you've mentioned. One of the girls even showed me a job advert for a graduate Micro position needing 1-2 years experience!!! Where are these jobs?? I and many others in Galway would really love to know:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

the stench

I think that's been fairly obvious to anyone who had to get a bus from the Rahoon/Newcastle stop.

Glad they got the boot tbh.

Bit off topic here as well but I'm gonna put it out there......43 of us just finished science (microbiology) degrees last week and already we've seen the difficulty in getting these jobs you've mentioned. One of the girls even showed me a job advert for a graduate Micro position needing 1-2 years experience!!! Where are these jobs?? I and many others in Galway would really love to know:confused:

And a bit more off topic here...Did you check about Micro-Biology Jobs in Ireland before you decided to do the course ? I've many friends who did Micro-Biology and finished their degree during the boom years and couldn't get work in it so went into different areas.
    Do you think you've some god given right to get a job in your field just because you've a degree in the subject ?

Oh and Studying is not Working ? Unless you work part-time and actually contribute to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

scholar007 wrote: »
    For sale:

6 x tents

30 x pallets

1 x big shanty shed

6 x camping chairs

All the above can be viewed at the Galway City Council Yard in Sandy Road :D

But can the people from OG collect what is rightfully theirs ?

Were they given warning/time to remove their personal belongings ?

And yes I do appreciate that the above quote was meant as a joke.
    This post isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm in another field (software) but that kinda "1-2 experience" is usually just HR bull inserted into a job ad, apply anyway.

And a bit more off topic here...Did you check about Micro-Biology Jobs in Ireland before you decided to do the course ? I've many friends who did Micro-Biology and finished their degree during the boom years and couldn't get work in it so went into different areas.
    Do you think you've some god given right to get a job in your field just because you've a degree in the subject ?

Oh and Studying is not Working ? Unless you work part-time and actually contribute to the country.

Utter rubbish.:mad:

Thankfully I will be starting in a position soon so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but.............Ya know what????...............forget about it!!!:)

Edit: don't want to include my starting info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Congrats on the job, you are not entitled to it, but you deserve it for putting in the work and earning your place. fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

And yes I do appreciate that the above quote was meant as a joke.
    This post isn't.

I would hope so, tents and firewood are expensive

Yes a letter was sent as follows about a week before:

Dear Protestors,

We are planning a small raid on Wednesday the 16th may at about 4:30am in the morning. Don't worry it will be nothing too fancy just about 50 gardaí and an equivalent number of Galway City Council personnel and the required number of patrol cars, paddy wagons, council vans / pick up trucks etc. We hope that we won't disturb ye too much while we dismantle your humble abode around you. There is no need to put yourselves out with having the kettle on or baking a cake, Supermacs will be open for the breakfast rolls by the time we are finished.

It would be very much appreciated it if ye could keep the news of our visit quiet. We want it to be a surprise. We know that if word of our planned visit leaked out then other protestors from other parts of the country would travel long distances out of the good of their hearts to be there to welcome us. While we appreciate their goodwill, we don't want to put anyone out. Sure think of all the carbon footprints that would be left if all your fellow protestors travelled to Galway? No we think its better if we just keep it local. Hope ye understand and looking forward to seeing ye all on the 16th.

yours etc.

The Galway City manager (Acting) & the Garda Super

Was the letter not received? Must have gone missing in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

Thankfully I will be starting in a position Monday week so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but.............Ya know what????...............forget about it!!!:)

How much is a double cheeseburger meal these days?

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, imo, the only thing that anyone is "entitled" to is being treated fairly and with respect as a human being.

Not lied to and taken for a ride as so often happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was kinda busy myself working the past 5 years towards a degree for which I completed my last exam Friday gone so I'm not hugely up to date with world finances and all that jazz. But I do know it's ever so difficult to get a job in the midst of financial/economical breakdown.

These guys were just making a stand and for that I applaud them. I don't have a problem with them being moved on with regards to the aspects of the law but I do have a problem with the attitude of some people towards them.
    I've been reading posts here and on FaceBook where people have called them all sorts of names and I cannot stand that sort of thing. By all means, disagree with their stance but do not start shouting about them getting the jobs that aren't there.

The Irish State, indeed any State, doesn't have an obligation to PROVIDE you or any one else with a job, particularly in YOUR chosen field. While there aren't jobs out there for EVERYONE at the moment, there sure as hell are jobs. You MAY have to leave your place of residence to get those jobs (You may have to travel to Dublin/Cork or elsewhere) and indeed if you find there are no jobs in your chosen field where you want them to be, you may have to change your field or move further afield. That's just logic and common sense.
    Fair play to you for going to college, getting a degree and making an effort. Very rarely do people get an ideal job straight out of college, you have to work at it. At least you appear willing to do this.
    These guys in Eyre square, don't seem to realise that camping out illegally in the middle of Galway for months on end, wasn't gonna help them in gaining employment or even changing the world.
    I'd rather not call them "names" either, but I totally disagree with their stance, whatever that stance was (they dont seem to know what it is themselves tbh) and moreso I totally disagree with the way they chose to make that stance.

scholar007, you are so funny and witty that I'm splitting my sides with laughter:rolleyes:.

I'm sure that your IQ must be off the charts.

Thankfully I will be starting in a position Monday week so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but.............Ya know what????...............forget about it!!!:)

Well done on getting your but my point was that you cannot blame the government because you cannot get a job in your chosen field.
    I'd love to have done Archaeology but I knew there would be little prospect of getting a job in it full time in Ireland. It's hardly the governments fault though I couldn't get a job in what I wanted.

What's that quote again...Charles Darwin "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

books4sale wrote: »
    They don't hide anything. That's not their job to pinpoint poverty or eyesores. It's sport and these events provide jobs and money for people.

The Volvo Ocean Race and those 'big yobs' as you refer to them will provide much needed revenue to many businesses in Galway this Summer, more than any Occupy Galway group managed to provide.

Sorry, what's your point ? Occupy Galway weren't preventing jobs or stopping the Volvo Ocean race coming. It was okay to have them there for the Christmas market. And none of our politicians brought the Volvo Ocean race to Galway it was private individuals whom can get things done around here but the yobs from Dublin (Ministers etc.) will be around the city grinning like it was there great enterprise thar brought Volvo Ocean Race here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,263 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If I decided to set up camp in the middle of the city I'd be rightly moved on. I don't see why this is any different. I'm shocked it has taken so long tbh.

There's other ways to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If I decided to set up camp in the middle of the city I'd be rightly moved on. I don't see why this is any different. I'm shocked it has taken so long tbh.

I agree and like the camp in Eyre Square it will soon be illeagal to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I agree and like the camp in Eyre Square it will soon be illeagal to protest.

Is this guy serious? :pac:

rarnes1 wrote: »

What if you had a legitimate reason for protesting, such as the bank losing all your savings by giving out huge dubious loans, were on common/public land, not causing an obstruction in anyway etc ?.

Just think about it a little more.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is this guy serious? :pac:

Sometimes it certainly looks like it:eek:.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement