Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway, fresh start thread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

specialops wrote: »
    That anger and hostility you sense is coming from yourself directing it at myself who you certainly don't know and I certainly don't deserve it. I mentioned I protest and campaign because it is possible to do so while also working and maintaining a household and a family. I think you're the one who should submit the documented evidence and retract your accusations against my character.
    Your ability at debate or discussion is obviously extremely limited, resorting at the first to insult.
    Miss the camp do you? They were doing what you couldn't I guess, in your own limited conscience it suited you to have them there, a weak attempt at protesting , what you couldn't do yourself they pretended to be doing for you.

They're gone :-)

What a load of.......you spout.
    You were so much against the camp that you decided to join boards and give everyone your opinion of it. On the very day that the camp was closed down. That shows how much you were against it. You could have joined when the original thread was open or at the start of this thread when there was at least a certain amount of serious debating going on.

I agree with Shakti,

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How you don’t have to legally pay Household Tax!!- ... According to the above definitions a statutory instrument is a contract. If you register for this “charge” you are consenting to this statuate ie: signing the contract. This is why the Government are ASKING the people to register and not just billing them instead

The above is taken from their facebook page, it is a very dangerous piece of disinformation.
    Unless you explain how that isn't true this still isn't enough. Just saying it's disinformation doesn't make it so.
    I followed the other Occupy thread closely but didn't contribute as I felt there were enough people against the so called protesters , and it emerged that you Irishgoatman are the father of one of them, i.e. Hippygran.
    Very sly of you coming on here hiding that fact and trying to wind people up.
    Odd, reading through the old thread I can only find where Irishgoatman offers this info freely - hardly sly nor hiding anything.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77049423&postcount=1779

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I can't confirm for sure any of the protestors there were also protesting by the gasline in Mayo. I had heard that some were but that's just here say, in fairness. The Irish Occupy movement DID list the gasline project as one of the causes they wanted addressed.

I can say without any doubt having lived with a guy who worked on the gasline for over a year that alot of protestors of the gasline are "professional" activists that arrive there each week by bus. When that statement that they wanted the gasline project ceased was released is actually when I stopped backing the Occupy movement. I had booked a month off work and was going to try and join the camp for a week or two to show solidarity. But it was very quickly evident that the protest was polarizing due to not having a focus or set cause. I'm happy I did not join the camp because it turned out in my opinion that the protestors of the camp were just as unorganized as the government they were protesting.

While I respect you making your own decisions about what you support in a conscient mature manner, I'm glad some people have made it their business to protest and if that makes them a 'professional' activist or not I care as little about what people call them as I'm sure they do.
    As along with most economists I agreed with O.G. that passing private debt on to the public to be wrong and also along with O.G. I agree its vital that the Irish people reclaim their gas and oil and the Norwegian people agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 specialops

Am off now to meet up with parents from local national school in local hall to organise campaigning of local authority to review flouridation of our water supply.

Complete waste of time posting in a forum where the 'Mod' has blatantly ignored their own caveat to 'not be a dick to anyone who disagrees with you' and has become one themselves. Regarding that fb post , there is actually a whole thread devoted to that spread of disinformation based on Freeman pseudo law, interestingly enough biko is conveniently ignoring that. The others in disagreement that OG were a bunch of freeloaders , can't even reply in context to my posts, and are ignoring the fact that OG have achieved nothing but a media coup for their arch enemy, Padraic Conneely, and have cost the taxpayer in Galway thousands for the clean up operation.

I've got better things to do than waste my time with a narrow minded blinkered group of posters in favour of a fringe group who have thankfully gotten their comeuppance.

So what are you, Shakti, and biko, doing for the afternoon, besides maintaining your empty delusion that professional protesters are doing anything but looking after their own agenda?
    Or hopefully being thankful decent ordinary folk like myself and my neighbours are out doing the real background work at protesting this unequal and unjust society.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Complete waste of time posting in a forum where the 'Mod' has blatantly ignored their own caveat to 'not be a dick to anyone who disagrees with you' and has become one themselves.
    So disagreeing with you is "being a dick" now? But when you then say
    I've got better things to do than waste my time with a narrow minded blinkered group of posters
    you think that is not rude?
    Regarding that fb post , there is actually a whole thread devoted to that spread of disinformation based on Freeman pseudo law, interestingly enough biko is conveniently ignoring that.
    Probably because you didn't link to it. The thread you refer to isn't in this forum anyway. I didn't bother looking for it because I didn't know it existed.
    have cost the taxpayer in Galway thousands for the clean up operation.
    Now you're just making stuff up.

Anyway, good luck with you parent's fluoridation meeting. I suppose you know it's still under discussion whether it's even a real issue? But people has to fight for something I suppose.

Btw, I've asked a Cmod to have a look at this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 specialops

http://colettekib89.blogspot.com/

@biko, check this out , might convince you that it is an issue according to your friends in OG , and posting disdainful retorts is not your role in Boards.ie (i.e. being a dick)

Mod note, this user was sitebanned by admins as a re-reg of users banned from last OG thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

biko wrote: »

Excellent idea. I know that from my point of view the only reason that I haven't referred it to a category mod is appreciation and respect for the way Galway is usually modded. Unfortunately that appreciation and respect only heightens my disappointment at the double standards evident here.

Threads have been closed earlier with far less tenuous connections to Galway - surely this "debate" is now just a general political debate? In the Politics forum, they seem more used to providing less partisan and balanced moderation on political issues.

BTW, I'm not questioning modding on thread or if I am, I'm only doing so because the moderator him/herself raised it in the thread. What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

biko wrote: »
    CMOD COMMENT:
    Per mod biko's request, this thread is under review. Temporarily locked.

EDIT: Please be patient. The review has started, but us volunteers have things that compete for our time outside of boards.

2nd EDIT: In addition to this thread being side-tracked by in-thread discussions of moderation, as well as attempts at backseat modding, after over 300 posts, it appears to have run its course; therefore it will remain LOCKED. If you wish to discuss this decision further, PM me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The review of this thread had been a useful exercise in terms of how it may suggest improvements to the overall operation of the Galway City forum. Mod biko is thanked for initiating and cooperating with this process.

Both in-thread discussions of moderation and back-seat modding occurred in this thread by a few posters. Such posted comments are not allowed in most forums within Region and boards.ie, because they tend to derail the thread from discussion of its original topic, result in unnecessary controversy, breed bad feelings, and generally trash the thread.

Although it was implied by the charter that in-thread discussions of moderation should not occur, and that such questions should be reserved for communications by PM with the moderators, or Cmods, Admin., etc., it had not been made explicit in a clearly worded statement. In like manner, associated back-seat modding lacked a clear statement in the charter regarding its inappropriateness. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that the Galway City charter be amended to clearly address these points.

Sample charter amendments:
    • No in-thread discussion of moderation. If you need clarification of this Charter, or wish to discuss actions taken that pertain to moderation, first PM the moderator. If not resolved, PM the Region Cmod. Appeals beyond these levels may be obtained for official warnings, infractions, or bans by initiating the Dispute Resolution Process. More general concerns can be addressed in boards.ie Help or Feedback.
    • No backseat modding. If you feel a post violates this Charter, or the spirit and intent of the forum, click the report button [!] in the lower left hand corner of their post, and state your reasons in the report window provided when it opens.
    A specific and clear example of violating this no in-thread discussion of moderation, as well as an attempt at backseat modding was as follows:
    It seems obvious from reading through this thread that the modding is biased in favour of the now defunct camp.

why is this?

Such posts would not be tolerated within Region, or most forums within the boards.ie site, for the reasons given earlier in this Review; rather, they would more than likely result in infractions, and if such posting behaviour continued, bans.

During this Review, it was discovered that biko as a poster (in addition to moderating), was the most prolific poster in the Galway City forum, far ahead of the poster in the 2nd place position in terms of numbers of posts. In reviewing his overall behaviour as a member of the Galway City posting community, most of his posts were useful, helpful, or in general contributing to the thread topics. But there was a source of potential confusion that also emerged during this Review, in that biko not only used normal text for posting, but also normal text for many of his moderation comments. To avoid such confusion between poster opinions and moderation comments, and potential misunderstandings, it is recommended that biko:
    • Bold face all moderation comments
    • Use normal text when being a part of the posting community
    Once again biko is thanked for initiating and cooperating with this process (and he was brave indeed to ask for a Cmod review!).

Sincerely,
    Black Swan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement