Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway, fresh start thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

specialops wrote: »

They will fade into the background now,

That happened many months ago.

Why do you think a fresh thread was started on here............ cause everybody got bored and couldn't give a crap about the previous thread.

Maybe it was the OP starting this thread that motivated the Gardai to move in, everybody getting all hot and bothered again, stress and blood temperatures rising throughout the city, coming on here venting their frustrations.

I feel a sense of calm and peace now that its all sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 specialops

books4sale wrote: »
    That happened many months ago.

Why do you think a fresh thread was started on here............ cause everybody got bored and couldn't give a crap about the previous thread.

Maybe it was the OP starting this thread that motivated the Gardai to move in, everybody getting all hot and bothered again, stress and blood temperatures rising throughout the city, coming on here venting their frustrations.

I feel a sense of calm and peace now that its all sorted.

Actually the OP was trying to drum up support for OG, backfired tho', must be nice to have the option to devote a whole thread to a waste of space with the power to ban people who don't agree with you.

Wait!! that's exactly what OG were doing!! They too loved the censorship button lol
    I must say all they achieved was providing great photo op for Padraic Conneely, their nemesis, in their seven months of sitting in the square spreadiing disinformation . They must be positively sickened:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had hoped I had clarified my view of the OG a few times before and at least twice in this thread. I'm all for peaceful protest but haven't even been to the camp.

"The power to ban" is only used when people get uncivil. Feel free to say what you think about OG but I draw the line when people start calling them or each other names or generally being dicks. Nasty comments aren't welcome.

The reason a new thread was started was that the old one went to the dogs and I was asked by a few PMs to open a new one and eventually caved - in the name of free speech, democracy and whatnot (all those brought to you by leftist struggle btw).
    People complained when the old thread was closed and now complain when it's up for discussion again.

As to "spreadiing disinformation" by OG, I'll ask you to clarify that. See the "back up with proper sources any statements you make" caveat in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭squonk

Fair enough but since the movement that was OG has now been removed from Eyre Square and the protest is over and has achieved nothing, can we close the thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you don't mind we'll leave it open for a while longer so people can discuss what they thought of the protest, even if it might be called a failure it can still have some value in that we now take more part in discussing Ireland's economy.
    I suppose it'll drop off the front page once people get tired of it.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I had hoped I had clarified my view of the OG a few times before and at least twice in this thread. I'm all for peaceful protest but haven't even been to the camp.

"The power to ban" is only used when people get uncivil. Feel free to say what you think about OG but I draw the line when people start calling them or each other names or generally being dicks. Nasty comments aren't welcome.

The reason a new thread was started was that the old one went to the dogs and I was asked by a few PMs to open a new one and eventually caved - in the name of free speech, democracy and whatnot (all those brought to you by leftist struggle btw).
    People complained when the old thread was closed and now complain when it's up for discussion again.

As to "spreadiing disinformation" by OG, I'll ask you to clarify that. See the "back up with proper sources any statements you make" caveat in the OP.

How you don’t have to legally pay Household Tax!!-
    You wont get a bill because the charge is a Statute. People need to understand this: A Statute is a “legislated rule of society given the force of law by the consent of the governed.”(Blacks Law Dictionary 4th edition). Who are those it governs? Us, the public.
    This household charge is a Statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government and only carries the force of law upon you if you consent to it which means that your legally obliged to pay if you consent or in other words go on to householdcharge.ie and register.
    Your silence and inaction will also give the appearance of consent. If you do not consent, a Statute cannot affect you in any way whatsoever.
    The courts know this and the last thing they will do is tell you. In fact they will hide this from you at every opportunity they can.
    On the other hand, if you tell them, they will accept it because they know it is actually true.
    According to the above definitions a statutory instrument is a contract. If you register for this “charge” you are consenting to this statuate ie: signing the contract. This is why the Government are ASKING the people to register and not just billing them instead

The above is taken from their facebook page, it is a very dangerous piece of disinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I have been waiting patiently for some comments on my post regarding the closure of camps in Russia, Poland and Newfoundland all, so it seems by coincidence, on the same night.:confused:

I'm very dissapointed.

I have been waiting patiently for some comments on my post regarding the closure of camps in Russia, Poland and Newfoundland all, so it seems by coincidence, on the same night.:confused:

I'm very dissapointed.

What, do you think Joe O'Neill in Galway was co-ordinating with Putin in Russia, Harper in Canada, and Komorowski in Poland to remove the camps at the same time..:D LOL man you need to snap out of it - you have contracted a serious case of delusion from that camp .....lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I don't get what they were supposed to achieve? They didn't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

6 people in tents. They were the 99%!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The fact is that the people that were in the tent have nothing in common with your average person on the street, unlike a lot of the people who have organised street protests over the last few weeks who are protesting over things that affect us all.
    And the guy shouting on the street in the video didn't do them any favours either:rolleyes:

biko wrote: »
    If you don't mind we'll leave it open for a while longer so people can discuss what they thought of the protest, even if it might be called a failure it can still have some value in that we now take more part in discussing Ireland's economy.
    I suppose it'll drop off the front page once people get tired of it

It's already off the 'front page' as you wrote that, and discussing the economy on this thread?? Is that not going way off topic??

Honestly biko you seem change the rules as you see fit to suit your agenda.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Was there some sort of Occupy meeting the last evening?
    Have they made any decisions on future actions?

What, do you think Joe O'Neill in Galway was co-ordinating with Putin in Russia, Harper in Canada, and Komorowski in Poland to remove the camps at the same time..:D LOL man you need to snap out of it - you have contracted a serious case of delusion from that camp .....lmao

I only paid 2 visits to the camp. Nowhere near enough to be for them in the way that so many posters are against them, mostly without going near the place.

And the first part of your post is exactly the type of thing I fully expected to see so thank you very much. I thought somebody would bite sooner or later if I dangled more bait in the water. Didn't expect it to be a newby though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I only paid 2 visits to the camp. Nowhere near enough to be for them in the way that so many posters are against them, mostly without going near the place.

And the first part of your post is exactly the type of thing I fully expected to see so thank you very much. I thought somebody would bite sooner or later if I dangled more bait in the water. Didn't expect it to be a newby though.:D
    Trying to get a rise from anti-og people by posting nonsense, hardly constructive now is it? Id have expected better from you given that you can usually at least debate the points without going off on one.

Trying to get a rise from anti-og people by posting nonsense, hardly constructive now is it? Id have expected better from you given that you can usually at least debate the points without going off on one.

What nonsense:confused: explain please.

Points to discuss? now that the camp has gone there are no points to discuss, at the moment, under the heading of OG which is why I've hardly got involved this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What nonsense:confused: explain please.

Points to discuss? now that the camp has gone there are no points to discuss, at the moment, under the heading of OG which is why I've hardly got involved this time.
    Claiming a global conspiracy to close vaious camps all in the one night is utter nonsense, maybe Connelly really is in the Mafia and he organised it all i guess. Long live Don Padraic.

Claiming a global conspiracy to close vaious camps all in the one night is utter nonsense, maybe Connelly really is in the Mafia and he organised it all i guess. Long live Don Padraic.

Don't know who made that claim. certainly wasn't me.
    I have never used the word conspiracy, In fact I think you'll find that you are the first person to do so.

I don't belive in global conspiracies nor The New World Order.

I was just pointing out a coincidence to see what response it got, nothing more and nothing less. If you want to read more into it that's up to you:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Don't know who made that claim. certainly wasn't me.
    I have never used the word conspiracy, In fact I think you'll find that you are the first person to do so.

I don't belive in global conspiracies nor The New World Order.

I was just pointing out a coincidence to see what response it got, nothing more and nothing less. If you want to read more into it that's up to youbiggrin.gif.

If you post something, twice not once, seeking a rise out of someone then there will be undertones to what your saying.
    I have been waiting patiently for some comments on my post regarding the closure of camps in Russia, Poland and Newfoundland all, so it seems by coincidence, on the same night.confused.gif

So it seems is giving the impression that you believe there is a conspiracy.

Grand, if you didn't come out and say you were seeking to rise someone...

I followed the other Occupy thread closely but didn't contribute as I felt there were enough people against the so called protesters , and it emerged that you Irishgoatman are the father of one of them, i.e. Hippygran.

Very sly of you coming on here hiding that fact and trying to wind people up.

But I guess I wouldn't be advertising any relation to them either considering how they handled themselves and made a mockery of the Occupy concept.

• Advertisement

I followed the other Occupy thread closely but didn't contribute as I felt there were enough people against the so called protesters , and it emerged that you Irishgoatman are the father of one of them, i.e. Hippygran.

Very sly of you coming on here hiding that fact and trying to wind people up.

But I guess I wouldn't be advertising any relation to them either considering how they handled themselves and made a mockery of the Occupy concept.

Firstly, it did not "emerge" that Hippygran was my Daughter. If you had been following the earlier thread you would be aware that I pointed out that she was my Daughter.

Secondly, I did not "come on here hiding that fact". Again, if you had been following this thread you would be aware that in my first post on this thread, number 81 if you are interested in getting your facts correct, I pointed out that I had a connection with O.G. No I did not mention my Daughters name, or quote anything from her, because she had not posted anything and therefore had no connection with this thread.

Some poster seem only too keen to have a go at people.
    I mentioned the closure of the other camps for a second time because I was very surprised that no-one seemed to have noticed this fact.
    You could have been cheering like mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

'Well meaning genuine people have a peaceful sustained protest' I don't see what annoys people so much about that, maybe some critics of O.G. saw this as an internet opportunity to seize upon and express their own internal malignant lurking social dissatisfaction, an expression of 'just under the surface' vehement intolerance for their own conformity that is denied and incongruous within their 'daily grind'...maybe. Whatever it was I hope they feel better now I'll be thinking of them when I vote NO in the upcoming referendumb.

Shakti wrote: »
    'Well meaning genuine people have a peaceful sustained protest' I don't see what annoys people so much about that, maybe some critics of O.G. saw this as an internet opportunity to seize upon and express their own internal malignant lurking social dissatisfaction, an expression of 'just under the surface' vehement intolerance for their own conformity that is denied and incongruous within their 'daily grind'...maybe. Whatever it was I hope they feel better now I'll be thinking of them when I vote NO in the upcoming referendumb.

Nothing well meaning or genuine about people who used the discontent in this country as a vehicle to support their fringe lifestyles and milk the goodwill of locals.
    If they has any of these qualities they would have packed up, cleared the place when they knew the inevitable was going to occur. Instead they chose to impose another huge bill on the already overburdened people of Galway.

Veiled insults are a pretty weak form of argument, but then it's a common response from OG (formerly) supporters.

why does it bother you so much?

does it bother you as much as this for example?
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/25386-svp-charity-sees-50-rise-those-seeking-help
    “Public sector employees like Social Welfare officers would have dealt with hardship cases in the past but because of the cutbacks in budgets they are referring families to us because they are no longer in a position to help,” he said.

poverty is not a lifestyle choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sounds like a good shout to promote SVP as a charity. Give people the option to donate and help people out.

poverty is not a lifestyle choice

I'm really tired of people pointing out problems that we are already aware of as a justification for career protesters to live a 'chosen' lifestyle like the campers did in Eyre Square, it's not a valid defence for them. Defend the expense of the clean up operation when they were asked three times to move, they knew it was coming.
    I am in the NO to household charge campaign, I've been out knocking on doors on wet wintry evenings, I've protested on the street with many others, sometimes not so many, they were attempting to stay there for the Summer , free spot, bang in the middle of a great town, taking taking taking and giving absolutely diddly squat in return for their dole handouts.
    Why is it good enough for the rest of us to go to work to pay for our food and the roof over our heads?

Lots of people didn't even realise they were still there - are you having a laugh - they weren't even bothering to take to the street in protest they had literally taken up residence.

I'm sensing a lot of hostility and anger directed at people who don't deserve it,
    If you wish to throw bouquets at yourself that in itself speaks volumes of your own character but if you wish to cast aspersions and attack the character and reputations of people I suggest you submit documented evidence or retract your accusations, IMO you are adding nothing but offense and anger in a bid to close this thread and obfuscate any debate and discussion.

I'm sensing a lot of hostility and anger directed at people who don't deserve it,
    If you wish to throw bouquets at yourself that in itself speaks volumes of your own character but if you wish to cast aspersions and attack the character and reputations of people I suggest you submit documented evidence or retract your accusations, IMO you are adding nothing but offense and anger in a bid to close this thread and obfuscate any debate and discussion.

That anger and hostility you sense is coming from yourself directing it at myself who you certainly don't know and I certainly don't deserve it. I mentioned I protest and campaign because it is possible to do so while also working and maintaining a household and a family. I think you're the one who should submit the documented evidence and retract your accusations against my character.
    Your ability at debate or discussion is obviously extremely limited, resorting at the first to insult.
    Miss the camp do you? They were doing what you couldn't I guess, in your own limited conscience it suited you to have them there, a weak attempt at protesting , what you couldn't do yourself they pretended to be doing for you.

They're gone :-)

No evidence? enough said then,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

No evidence? enough said then,

I can't confirm for sure any of the protestors there were also protesting by the gasline in Mayo. I had heard that some were but that's just here say, in fairness. The Irish Occupy movement DID list the gasline project as one of the causes they wanted addressed.

I can say without any doubt having lived with a guy who worked on the gasline for over a year that alot of protestors of the gasline are "professional" activists that arrive there each week by bus. When that statement that they wanted the gasline project ceased was released is actually when I stopped backing the Occupy movement. I had booked a month off work and was going to try and join the camp for a week or two to show solidarity. But it was very quickly evident that the protest was polarizing due to not having a focus or set cause. I'm happy I did not join the camp because it turned out in my opinion that the protestors of the camp were just as unorganized as the government they were protesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement