Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which pubs in city centre do good pints of guinness?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

CWF wrote: »
    Brogans on Dame St.

Brogans is the best for me.

Grogans, The Palace and Bowes also good shouts.

Kavanaghs (Gravediggers) out in Glasnevin, if you want to go further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Devitt's on Camden Street. If you're going on a night out around Harcourt Street it's a good place to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

My first choices for pubs I know I'm going to get a good pint in..

The Lord Edward
    The Stag's Head
    Bowes
    Mulligan's

Rule of thumb.. Bars should be avoided, whereas authentic old pubs should be frequented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Hartigan's on Leeson St

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Doheny & Nesbitts front bar has spectacular Guinness, not a fan of the €4.80 price though.

Copper Face Jacks Guinness; surprisingly good.

• Advertisement

Copper Face Jacks Guinness; surprisingly good.

lol good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fluddles

I have an English friend making his first ever trip to Dublin this summer. He says the first thing he wants to do is have a Guiness because it's his favourite drink and assumes it'll be better in Ireland.

I don't drink Guiness, I barely drink at all so I'm not sure where to take him.

Can anyone recommend the best pub in Dublin to get a pint of Guiness? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I usually take Sassanachs to Mulligan's on Poolbeg Street. No complaints so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Fluddles wrote: »
    I have an English friend making his first ever trip to Dublin this summer. He says the first thing he wants to do is have a Guiness because it's his favourite drink and assumes it'll be better in Ireland.

I don't drink Guiness, I barely drink at all so I'm not sure where to take him.

Can anyone recommend the best pub in Dublin to get a pint of Guiness? :)

Why not bring him to Porterhouse, Against The Grain, Bull & Castle or one of the numerous pubs that sell other, far superior, Irish stouts and porters like O'Hara's Leann Follain, Black Rock Irish Stout, Shandon Stout, Wrasslers XXXX or Dark Arts Porter, he can drink the rather bland Guinness anywhere in the UK anytime, why not introduce him to some really tasty Irish stouts?

Why not bring him to Porterhouse, Against The Grain, Bull & Castle or one of the numerous pubs that sell other, far superior, Irish stouts and porters like O'Hara's Leann Follain, Black Rock Irish Stout, Shandon Stout, Wrasslers XXXX or Dark Arts Porter, he can drink the rather bland Guinness anywhere in the UK anytime, why not introduce him to some really tasty Irish stouts?

I've tasted many of those, and none come close to Guinness. They're nice for the first few sips, but soon lose their charm. And there's no comparison between Guinness in the UK and the Guinness here..

OP - Check out this thread on the Dublin City forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Because his friend wants to be able to say that he's had a pint of Guinness in Dublin. I coming over here for a weekend as a 23 year old who thought he hated Guinness but was determined to try it in Ireland and I loved the stuff so much I stayed :)

The Porterhouse in Covent Garden is one of the busiest pubs in London so if he lives in that part of the World he could well have tried their porter anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dont drink guiness very often but the best pint i've ever had was in Grogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Royal Oak, Kilmainham Lane. Best Guinness ever tasted!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

lol good one.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 urbanspaceman

absolutely no question on this one, it has to be Chaplins on hawkins street, opposite the old cinema. guarantee you the last inch of the pint is still as thick as when it was full !!

absolutely no question on this one, it has to be Chaplins on hawkins street, opposite the old cinema. guarantee you the last inch of the pint is still as thick as when it was full !!

Yes, chaplins has a good pint allright, as long as you don't mind drinking with a crowd that's at least 50% gardai from the massive station that's directly across the road. Still, though, all the more chance of a lock-in i suppose ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Have to recommend Bakers on Thomas Street it's definitely the best I've had in Dublin. Very easy to throw it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

+1 on Brogan's, Grogan's and Neary's.

I was in Chaplin's at Christmas and don't remember it being all that special, I'll have to give it another go. If it's a bust I can always head over to Mulligan's on poolbeg street who also do a very tasty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Walshes in Stoneybatter. Dropped in on Saturday to see what all the fuss was about....lovely pint indeed :)

I'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 JAMMYK

A fastpour Guinness from Croke Park! Nothing like the taste of ass on a matchday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Birchalls, Ranelagh.

Good atmosphere and even better pints

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Mulligans, Chaplins and or the Oval bar. Also the Findlater does a good one too, if you're on northside of town.

Not in town but the Airport arrivals and surrounding hotels all have a very high quality of (Guinness) pint due to the taste team enforcing proper practices on the taps and serving, to try and encourage touring tourists to continue to drink Guinness around the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Toners, Baggot St.
    Smyths, Haddington Rd.
    Beggers Bush, Haddington Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Toners, Baggot St.
    Smyths, Haddington Rd.
    Beggers Bush, Haddington Road.

Was in Toners on Saturday, pint was cat.

Why bother when O'Donoughue's is beside it, huge gap in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

Surprised that no one has mentioned McDaids (Off Grafton Street), never heard a bad word about there Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Was in Toners on Saturday, pint was cat.

Why bother when O'Donoughue's is beside it, huge gap in quality.

I have to say, O'Donoghue's has been home to two of the worst pints of Guinness I have ever tasted. It's on my black list. Once they tried to serve me a pint by topping up a half poured one that had been sitting on the bar for ages. I was there long enough to see that it wasn't a fresh pour.
    Really really bad service. I gave it back and the guy just muttered something and stuck me on a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

kinsy wrote: »
    I have to say, O'Donoghue's has been home to two of the worst pints of Guinness I have ever tasted. It's on my black list. Once they tried to serve me a pint by topping up a half poured one that had been sitting on the bar for ages. I was there long enough to see that it wasn't a fresh pour.
    Really really bad service. I gave it back and the guy just muttered something and stuck me on a new one.

The bar staff in there are desperate. I'd stopped going as they were so miserable. Returned recently and they haven't improved. I was in one night a while ago and heard one of the dealing out the worst abuse to one of the asian lads collecting glasses. We upped and left. Showers of miserable dckheads imho.

ps..The wee Dawson Lounge also does a good pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

That's pretty grim.

Yeah, my few experiences there were enough to ensure I never return.

On a more positive note, in addition to some of the other places mentioned here (Brogan's, Mulligan's, Grogan's), I find Anseo on Camden St does a pretty nice pint with the bonus of good tunes if you find yourself in that mood.

My absolute favourite was always The Mount Pleasant Inn (Corrigan's) On Mount P Ave between Ranelagh and Rathmines. Was the best pint I'd ever had.
    Unfortunately, the last time I was there the standard had dipped. I have not been back so hoping it was a one off... Will definitely return to give it another, well earned chance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Manuva wrote: »
    Surprised that no one has mentioned McDaids (Off Grafton Street), never heard a bad word about there Guinness

2nd this one.

McDaids Guinness is great; I've tumbled out of that place a few times after one too many (and they're shaggin' delicious, can you blame me?). Great location, too.

After that, I heard a few people say Chaplins, and I agree. Brogans is fairly good, as is Peter's Pub and The Lotts.

Advertisement