Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which pubs in city centre do good pints of guinness?

Options
  • 01-05-2012 7:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭

an extremely inportant thread im sure you will all agree.
    it can be fairly hit and miss as you know yourself and normally the "young peoples" pubs/clubs which i frequent do a dreadful jar.

so where in dublin is the good guinness?

keoghs on south anne street is one i like.

any other suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Grogans on William Street and Mulligans on Poolebeg Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the bachelor inn still does lovely guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Don't drink it myself but a mate likes to have a guinness in Peters Pub, Johnson Place (south william street).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

if possible and if known can you post the street of said pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Don't drink it myself but a mate likes to have a guinness in Peters Pub, Johnson Place (south william street).

It's a rip off though. Really hate the fact that it has jacked up its prices over the last while simply because its become more popular. €5.40 for a pint of carlsberg last weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

Davy Byrne's pub off Dawson Street. A gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Don't drink it myself but The Oval used to do a good pint according to a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

The Long Hall, George's Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Grogan's as already mentioned.

JJ's on Aungier St (upstairs anyway, never been downstairs)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Cassidy's on Camden Street.

The bar of O'Brien's on Leeson Street.

Another vote for Kehoe's on South Anne Street.

And The Long Hall

Kenny's on James's Street.

The Stag's Head, Dame Lane.

The Palace, Fleet Street FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Stags head does a lovely pint.

Also:
    The Swan
    Grogans
    Nearys
    Dawson Lounge
    Kehoes
    Long Hall

I was in Fitzgeralds beside O'Connell Bridge (westmoreland st side) for the very first time recently for the Chelsea vs Barcelona match. Got two lovely pints in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Thomas House, quality Guinness at 4 quid, can't go wrong.

Brogans on Dame street.

Stags Head.

Worst pint of Guinness has to be the Workmans, completely undrinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The Old Harbour on Echlin St does the best Guinness I've ever tasted - it's right beside the brewery too, whether that helps or not - but it's delicious.

I'd also go with The Long Hall, Lord Edward, Madigans (Abbey St) and Fallons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Was in Peters a few weeks back. €4.90 for a Guinness I think it was. Pint was nothing to write home about either. Definitely wont be going back in
    Always got a decent pint in the grand central in the front. Back bar can be hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The Bar at the Hampton Hotel does a cracking Guinness. The best pint I've had in the three years I've lived here was at Doheny & Nesbitt on Baggot Street, but that was a while ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

The Top Pubs For Guinness

O'Sullivans on Westmoreland St does a very good Guinness, €4.60 a pint though.

Maybe down a notch on quality but made up for it's price is MacTorcails on Tara St. €3.50 a pint. It's right on the corner, opposite the irish times building if i'm not mistaken.

Chaplins on Hawkins St does a good Guinness aswell, €3.50-3.60 a pint every day the last time I checked. It's opposite the old cinema with the cinema porter statue outside it.

O'Neills on Pearse St does a good Guinness aswell, it's more pricey though, talking over €4.20 easily. Very warm and cosy all the same.

The 'Meh' Pubs For Guinness

Messrs Maguires just off D'olier St and beside Q-Bar, does an ok Guinness. Their own brand stout and and ales are better though, the lines would be getting used more. From Monday to Wednesday all pints are €4, which is very good for a pub so central in town.

Fibbers on Parnell St also do a considerably average Guinness aswell, it's acceptable. €4.50 I think.

The Bad Pubs For Guinness

Doyles on on the very corner of D'olier St/College Street is a dump though. Do not go here.

The Workman's on Wellington Quay is to be avoided at all costs. Not only for what passes as a Guinness, but the 'oh-so-cool-' crowd who go there and pose and take pictures on their iPhone with instamatic. Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. The Guinness is priced at a rather cheeky €5 or something near that.

Every Nightclub in Dublin does shocking pints. I'm surprised many of them even bother with Guinness taps considering the sales of Guinness would not be that strong.

The Karma Stone on Aungier St do a poor Guinness aswell. Although a friend told me their own brand stout is acceptable.

The most important factors which contribute to a good Guinness are;
    1. A short line between the keg and tap.
    2. Regularly serviced lines.

Enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Trust me on this OP, i drink/taste/study Guinness like a religion !! Myself and the lads have tried and tested EVERY pub in Dublin that we've heard/read there is a good pint for the last 5 years. So trust me and you'll be fine :D

First off I see Peter's pub was mentioned - stay away from it > awful pint.
    Kehoe's is hugely over rated, living on its name, people just think its a great pint cos other people have said it, so they simply go along with it. Its only a decent pint at best, trust me. Its also full of knobs.

Best 5 guinness pubs in Dublin are :

Mulligans
    The Long Hall
    Dawson Lounge
    The Brazen Head
    The Palace (Fleet St)

Gravediggers in Glasnevin gets an honourable mention ,as does Grogans.

You're very welcome folks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Bowes on fleet St, next to doyles. suprised this has not been mentioned! Great pint and better than mulligans in my opinion.
    Also McNeills on Capel St does great stout

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fibbers on Parnell St also do a considerably average Guinness aswell, it's acceptable. €4.50 I think.

Stopped in there last Saturday nite for what was the worst pint I've had of Guinness in quite some time. A Guinness rep would have had a heart attack at [a] the non branded non standard glass and the dirtiness of the glasses used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Slattsy wrote: »
    Best 5 guinness pubs in Dublin are :

Mulligans
    The Long Hall
    Dawson Lounge
    The Brazen Head
    The Palace (Fleet St)

Gravediggers in Glasnevin gets an honourable mention ,as does Grogans.

You're very welcome folks :cool:

Yeah, how did I forget the Brazen Head. Great pint there. Dawson Lounge was good last time I was here, years ago.

But I don't rate the Gravediggers.

And I know it's heresy, but I've never thought much of Mulligans either.

• Advertisement

Great shout on the Dawson Lounge. I'm going there tomorrow actually as I've a friend coming over who loves the place. Although last time we were there there was a fight which is quite an achievement in a place so small...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

slightly outside the city centre but gaffneys in fairview is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Rarin' for a Guinness now. Only going to Diceys though :-/

K09 wrote: »
    Bowes on fleet St, next to doyles. suprised this has not been mentioned! Great pint and better than mulligans in my opinion.

Was just going to post this. Bowes in Fleet street is consistently the best pint of stout I've had in Dublin, and they also have the best selection of hard to find and quality whiskeys i know of in the city. There's one particular barman working there who is a walking encyclopedia on the stuff. It's very worth a visit. Try the Red Breast 12 year old single pot still whiskey, it's wonderful to sip with a good Guinness!

Other places that serve a nice pint of stout and don't make you feel like you might get stabbed before you finish it are Mulligan's in Poolbeg Street, the Long Hall at the top of George's Street, and also Brogans in Dame street.

The Palace Bar on Fleet Street also has a very nice pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Brogans on Dame St.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ben D Bus wrote: »

And I know it's heresy, but I've never thought much of Mulligans either.

Heresy of the highest order, you should be burned alive at the stake :rolleyes:

Mulligans is one of the best, I cant fault it. I've been there at opening and have had the first few pints pulled of the day and they're still unreal. Very very very few pubs can produce that sort of quality from the first pint. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

CWF wrote: »
    Brogans on Dame St.

Definitely not, pint was freezing cold and served in a tuborg glass. It wasn't even busy that day so no excuses there.

Tried it once, wont be going back again.
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Heresy of the highest order, you should be burned alive at the stake :rolleyes:

Mulligans is one of the best, I cant fault it. I've been there at opening and have had the first few pints pulled of the day and they're still unreal. Very very very few pubs can produce that sort of quality from the first pint. Unbelievable.

Went there on behalf of fathers request. He spoke very highly of it but I was bitterly disappointed. Nothing to write home about in regards to the pint. Bit expensive aswell considering that area has some pubs pulling quite good Guinness at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KingKongMofo

The Duke on Duke St. Quality Pint

Had a really nice pint on Sunday evening at The Long Stone on Townsend Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

I had a nice one in Madigans about a month ago. Very nice. Forget the price but had a pint of Kilkenny in there last week and that was €4.90. Maybe around the same price or cheaper.

Advertisement