Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

adamski8 wrote: »
    Mellor wrote: »
    Pettis only beating Jeremy Stevens and Joe Lauzon after his loss. That's not enough for me.
    And right now. Diaz has put himself clearly on top of the pile.
    hmmm if only there were a way that you could match them up somehow to see who deserves the title shot..........

They could do that but I'm thinking the timing won't be right with how the schedule is!

Anyway, I don't get peoples thinking when it comes to title shots. If you're the best in the world but someone else has the belt, it shouldn't be a big deal to wait for your shot whilst beating other contenders. If you lose to another contender, then you weren't worthy in the first place.

I think Diaz has proven worthy right now. Hes been beating top guys and in style. However, id have loved to see a Bendo v Pettis rematch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MrStuffins wrote: »

Anyway, I don't get peoples thinking when it comes to title shots. If you're the best in the world but someone else has the belt, it shouldn't be a big deal to wait for your shot whilst beating other contenders. If you lose to another contender, then you weren't worthy in the first place.
    Exactly. I don't get it either how you can just say you are going to wait around, they shouldn't announce the contender until he is in a position to fight for the belt, otherwise we're going to end up with numerous 'no. 1 contenders' queuing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Diaz has already earned it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Mellor wrote: »
    However, I do think that Frankie's claim to the rematch is stronger than any contender. Pettis only beating Jeremy Stevens and Joe Lauzon after his loss. That's not enough for me.
    And right now. Diaz has put himself clearly on top of the pile.

Agree totally with this. Diaz has beaten some top contenders to get to the top and deserves it ahead of Pettis. If Pettis takes on a top 10 guy then he'd be next but there's no point in him giving out about it. Sure Miller went 7 in a row but needed to get tested against some top guys. I'd still put him ahead of Pettis on the fact that he's only lost to champions and contenders at 155.
    And yes, I know Pettis has a W over Bendo, but thats the only one on Bendo's going back a good while.

I also thought Fox were very good and really enjoyed the whole production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I think the Menefee/Couture/Other combination is very good, some of the best commentary I've seen for sport.

• Advertisement

Xlami wrote: »
    I think it'd be fairly harsh to deny Frankie a rematch after the UFC made him do two himself.

I don't think Edgar would beat Henderson if they fought again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's mad how, even now, people don't give Frankie the credit he deserves.

I'm not sure which fight everyone was watching, but the Bendo v Edgar fight was much closer than people seem to remember!

I think after having to rematch Penn to prove himself and then having to rematch Gray afterwards, he deserves a rematch when the same happens to him and he loses a decision the way he did.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's mad how, even now, people don't give Frankie the credit he deserves.

I'm not sure which fight everyone was watching, but the Bendo v Edgar fight was much closer than people seem to remember!

I think after having to rematch Penn to prove himself and then having to rematch Gray afterwards, he deserves a rematch when the same happens to him and he loses a decision the way he did.

It was very close on points.

If it went another few rounds it would have been Henderson fresh as a daisy knocking out Edgar.

Henderson....mentioning Jesus as soon as Joe Rogan approached him...I really don't like that crap. I wish religion was separate from Sport in that regard.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Why are people saying he was "forced" into the rematch with Gray.

It was a draw ffs, it had to be a rematch really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

jayteecork wrote: »
    Why are people saying he was "forced" into the rematch with Gray.

It was a draw ffs, it had to be a rematch really.

No one said he was forced.
    He fought him 3 times. One loss, one draw, and then the win. He had to fight BJ again though even though he beat him the first time. He gladly obliged and beat him again. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving an ex-champ, (and a great ex-champ at that), the courtesy of a rematch and a chance to win his belt back. Especially since it was a close fight.
    It might be different if Bendo went in there and dismantled him but he didn't. He smashed Edgars nose and very nearly ko'd him with that up-kick but Edgar battled on. Granted, at the end of the fight Edgar looked in bits and Bendo was fresh as a daisy but Edgar showed a lot of heart.
    I think if any fighter deserved a rematch it's Frankie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dermighty wrote: »
    I don't think Edgar would beat Henderson if they fought again.
    If they fought again?
    Why are you saying if?
    Dermighty wrote: »
    It was very close on points.
    What else would we judge it on if not points? Haircuts?
    If it went another few rounds it would have been Henderson fresh as a daisy knocking out Edgar.
    5 rounds is the max. How is another few rounds relevant.
    Hendo wasn't fresh at the end, lets be realistic. He was a tough 25 mins for him. Edgar has shown his resilience to being KO'd repeatedly. That up kick would of knocked out a lot of people. That kick had a huge effect on the fight. Edgar had the first round, and was on the way to the second except for that kick. 3-5th were very close.
    Henderson....mentioning Jesus as soon as Joe Rogan approached him...I really don't like that crap. I wish religion was separate from Sport in that regard.
    What difference does that make to anything?
    If it was me I wouldn't thank god, but don't care who anyone else thanks. I don't see how its relevant to the issue of Frankie getting a rematch and his chances in that.

Advertisement