Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embracing our Irish skin colour

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Another pale skinned redhead here, my parents after a few hours in the sun are practically black yet I don't tan at all, where did I come out of is the joke every summer. I could spend 2 weeks in peak summer in lanzarote lying by the pool (with sunscreen) 6 hours a day and not even have a hint of brown, I burn and go white again. Nights out I always wear sally hansen, just never occured to me not to, mum always had it drilled into me sure you can't wear that dress with no tan. :rolleyes:

Fairly confident I'm not orange and I'm streak free. But I hate fake tan, literally I put it on, go out and as soon as I get in no matter how drunk I could be I'm straight in the shower to wash it off, I hate how it gets all over your clothes and bed and I just feel dirty. Got the spray tan done for my grad and felt like an oompa loompa, took ages to wear off too, had patches for weeks despite daily or twice daily showering.

It's so much less hassle skipping fake tan, sometimes I take notions and take pride in my daz white legs, I'v a few varicose veins so they really stand out, so much that a friends little sister once told me I'd blue marks on my legs and couldn't believe they weren't drawn with a marker. My upper half is a lot frecklier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'd be interested to know how many of us 'embrace our Irish hair colour'. Fake tan seems to be a contentious issue but no one seems to think it's a problem to dye one's hair. Or am I missing something? Aren't fake tan and hair dye the same thing in essence? Do people have strong feelings about keeping their hair their natural colour?

For the record, I have natural red hair which I did dye blonde for 1 year but have not dyed it since 2008.

Pythia wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know how many of us 'embrace our Irish hair colour'. Fake tan seems to be a contentious issue but no one seems to think it's a problem to dye one's hair. Or am I missing something? Aren't fake tan and hair dye the same thing in essence? Do people have strong feelings about keeping their hair their natural colour?

For the record, I have natural red hair which I did dye blonde for 1 year but have not dyed it since 2008.

I hear it all the time about people hating fake fan as it's, well, fake!

Some of these people;
    Dye their hair
    Curl their hair
    Staighten their hair
    Wear make up
    Wear nail varnish or false nails
    Whiten their teeth
    Wear spanx
    Wear push up bras
    Wear tights to enhance the colour of their legs

I can't see anything natural about any of the above but all will argue that that's "different" but no one seems to be able to say why it's different!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I hear it all the time about people hating fake fan as it's, well, fake!

Some of these people;
    Dye their hair
    Curl their hair
    Staighten their hair
    Wear make up
    Wear nail varnish or false nails
    Whiten their teeth
    Wear spanx
    Wear push up bras
    Wear tights to enhance the colour of their legs

I can't see anything natural about any of the above but all will argue that that's "different" but no one seems to be able to say why it's different!

Well I never have had people look at me and tell me to dye my hair or curl it or do any of the things on that list but I sure have had them tell me to put fake tan on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I can't speak for everyone but I only have an issue with fake tan when it really doesn't suit the person, but they feel the need to wear it regardless as they are made to feel that there's something wrong with being pale. It's the idea that it's somehow always an improvement that irks me.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »
    Well I never have had people look at me and tell me to dye my hair or curl it or do any of the things on that list but I sure have had them tell me to put fake tan on.

People who tell you to change your appearance whe you are happy with it are idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I tan perfectly but I hate sun bathing so my legs are always translucently white. I can't be arsed with fake tan because I would be clueless about how to put it on, I'm still figuring out make up and I'm 25. Don't know where I was the day all the well put together girls learned how to do it all, haha.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd be interested to know how many of us 'embrace our Irish hair colour'.
    *raises hand*

Natural strawberry blonde, and I can honestly say I've never dyed it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

my hair colour is naturally a very dull brown and i dont like it
    i prefer it red

my skin colour is quite pale and i do like it

what i don't like about fake tan is not that it's unnatural but that people assume an orange glow must automatically be an improvement on everyone no matter what. not only this, but you get commented at, told to get out and put some on, etc etc, if you don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

krudler wrote: »
    totally agree, redheads are hawwwt

this:

[amy adams pic]

wins over the oompa loompa look every time, streaky bad fake tan that makes you look like you showered in Bisto is bad, light tan or natural skin is good

Awww, I love Amy Adams, what a cutie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I dye my hair because of the damn greys, not because i don't like the colour!
    I used to hate being pale until I went travelling a few years ago in asia. I had random girls approach me in the street and ask to take my photo (I'm nothing special!), just because they loved my skin. I had to ask them about this as I had no idea what the the interest was about initially. I used a parasol too like the locals without feeling like an idiot!
    Since then I love and appreciate my pale skin. Knowing that I cant tan is actually a good thing as I don't waste any time lying out trying to tan and getting burnt.

emer_b wrote: »
    I dye my hair because of the damn greys, not because i don't like the colour!

You don't like the grey though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

*raises hand*

Natural strawberry blonde, and I can honestly say I've never dyed it. :)

Same! I don't tan my skin because it damages it, I won't bleach or use much heat on my hair because it damages it too. I'd be very wary of bleaching teeth also!

I don't like girls with a whole lot of unnatural things also, not a fan of long fake nails, or long hair extensions, or too much makeup, and a dark fake tan! I'm not gonna preach we should be all natural, I definitely do use things to enhance myself. But I do have a line as to how much is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Love this thread. Another anti-fake tanner here, I hate the stuff. I hate how it looks orange, streaky and smells rank. I am fed up of people saying I need to try fake tan (it's fake FFS, I don't need that orange crap in my life thanks!) It's so ignorant, condescending and downright rude when people say "oh you look SO pale, are you feeling under the weather today?" :mad:
    panda100 wrote: »
    I have been a bridesmaid twice, and both times even if I had wanted my skin to be au naturel, it wouldn't have been an option. Spray tans it seems are mandatory now If you are to be a bridesmaid.

When I'm bridesmaid for a few friends, I will not be wearing fake tan. You couldn't pay me to wear the stuff. I tried a teeeeny tiny bit of it once and washed it off, it looked hideous. So if the bride has a problem with this, well she'll just have to find another bridesmaid. It's like asking your bridesmaid to change her hair colour for the day, it's so feckin ignorant IMO. Why should I change my whole appearance? No way.

Also I think it is really bad form if the bridesmaid insists on wearing fake tan if the bride is not. Usually those who insist on wearing it lather it on with a shovel and then they look ridiculous in the photos. And as I've heard photographers say, don't go to town on the fake tan because whatever way the light bounces off it, it makes you look even more orange in the photos!

By the way, I do think it's completely different scenarios - it's not a double standard. No fake tan is a natural look, fake tan just looks stupid. I think it's so cringe seeing wedding photos of people wearing tons of fake tan on their wedding day when they don't normally wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I never tan and I almost never burn, no matter how much time I spend in the sun. Is this because I have no melanin like the OP, or is there some other explanation?

As for fake stuff, sometimes I wear fake tan, I like it for a change, especially in the summer. But I don't mind my natural skin tone, even though it's really dull and grey! I like makeup, I dye my hair and I wear hair extensions and I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't tell another person to change their appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Speaking as someone who is a completely natural redhead I do now but years ago I hated it. Even if I have to put up with the constant ginger jokes (although most are light hearted and not meant to offend) and complete strangers screaming ginger out of moving cars. :( Sometimes I do wish I had another colour, really pale natural blond would be nice, but lately I actually like my hair colour and wouldn't change it even if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

i have olive skin all year round, I cant stand sitting in the sun roasting to get a tan!

i do like my skin colour tho, suits me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

When I was younger, I would see my mother out sunning herself and thought it was ok to do. So by the time I was in my teens, the first sunny day, I would be out doing the same. Summer after summer it was the same result, I would go red and sore from the sunburn.

It took me quite a while to realise it was never going to happen. Must have stopped at about 22/23 and slap on factor 50. I didnt like the pain of being sunburnt.

I have hundreds of moles and doctors have warned me to stay out from the sun cause im at risk of skin cancer. Its a pity I wasn't given warnings years ago. I got my first warning at 26.

It just isn't worth it. I even bring sun cream with me in my bag and reapply during the day if im out. Some one once laughed at me for that.

And as for fake tan. I just wouldn't feel comfortable. One day you're pale, and the next your brown. It doesn't just happen over night. I would feel quite silly with it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I don't dye my hair either. I dyed it when I went through my rebellious teenage phase, it was all sorts of colours then! But now it's natural red, and has been for the last 10 years. I'd also be in the not really liking fake stuff group. But I do alter my appearance in some ways too, it's just not something I'm that bothered about. I wear make up maybe twice a week, less in the sun :) I straighten my hair maybe once a month, otherwise dry natural. I like to paint my toes, they're almost always painted. I have to keep my finger nails really short, and I hate them painted.
    I guess we all have our little things we like to do to make ourselves feel better. The important thing is to not make other feel bad cos they make different choices.

dearg lady wrote: »
    The important thing is to not make other feel bad cos they make different choices.

Says it all really :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Says it all really :)

I can be a bit judgemental myself at times though, have to give myself a mental slap when that happens! :)

Advertisement