Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embracing our Irish skin colour

Options

Comments

Gauge wrote: »
    People can be very pass remarkable about it and I really dislike that, it's so rude. Some people will even go so far as to imply I'm being 'rude' for not slapping on the fake tan for formal or dressy occasions.

I have to admit that I'm shocked reading these sort of posts. I can't believe people can be so nasty. Jesus, do we not have enough to deal with in life without other women being absolute bitches to other women because they choose to wear or not to wear fake tan?

I'm sure it's easier said than done, but try to ignore ridiculous comments like that. People who are rude for the sake of being rude aren't worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm quite pale but have warm undertones. I used to get a dark enough tan as a child, but stopped when I got to about 14 because we didn't go on a sun holiday for a few years and the weather here was crap. I also had to go on antibiotics to combat acne and it made my skin very sensitive so it would burn easily. I don't expose myself to the sun in the way that I wouldn't be the type to sunbathe on holidays. I'd rather sit under a parasol with the lightest spray tan possible, a good suncream and soak up the heat, rather than the sun itself.

On nights out I just use Sally Hansen. It looks far more natural imo if you pick a shade that suits you. I'd use the medium when I'm out at night, and if I need a colour during the day for whatever reason, I find the light a good option. It suits my skin because of the warm undertones. Nothing worse on a night out than looking at the some of the girls who are orange or dirty looking! It's disgusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, that this absolutely doesn't apply to me. And while there are definitely chemicals in the tan I use (St. Tropez), there are chemicals in almost everything I put on my skin, be it soap, perfume, shower gel, moisturiser, srubs, masks, make up. It's all chemicals.

I wonder if it's as bad as you really think though. And I say this as I know I am my own worst enemy, judging my appearance more harshly than anyone elses. I wonder if you are prone to doing the same? not meaning to pick on your post, just a general thought really. I think most women are pretty harsh on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

If we lived in spain/france they would have really blond hair and a year round tan.

My brother and sister have naturally very pale skin. Well, my sister is a bit darker but my brother is as white as me. But they've lived in France all their lives and always have a tan. In the summer they are black. I was in Paris with my Dad and brother and sister for a while last summer and in all the photos I stick out like a sore thumb...even-though I was actually quite tanned for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My brother and sister have naturally very pale skin. Well, my sister is a bit darker but my brother is as white as me. But they've lived in France all their lives and always have a tan. In the summer they are black. I was in Paris with my Dad and brother and sister for a while last summer and in all the photos I stick out like a sore thumb...even-though I was actually quite tanned for me!!

a pic of my son after 3 weeks in france, he has white on his arms due to arm bands being on him, as you can see from his arms he is naturally very white and we used factor 50.

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=12665

He looks like his been dipped in a tub of fake tan, but no its all natural, goodness know what he would have looked like after 3 months in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Pale is nice. That orange tan is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I am pale blonde with blue eyes I used to go really dark as a kid once the Summer came the weather seems to be really good back in the 80's :) probably being out in the sun till you were called in gave a nice colour.
    Once I hit the teens it was harder to tan after lobster incidents in Oz I just have to slap on the sunscreen and use the fake tan for going out/hols to make me look a bit healthy. I like a light healthy tan can't stand the orange look that some of the soap stars/TOWIE ones have. Olive skinned girls can get away with being darker ie Kardashians lucky girls dont have to bother with spray tans all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I have to admit that I'm shocked reading these sort of posts. I can't believe people can be so nasty. Jesus, do we not have enough to deal with in life without other women being absolute bitches to other women because they choose to wear or not to wear fake tan?

In my experience its not just women that comment. Generally, I find Americans,Canadians and Australians quite rude when commenting on my skin tone. I spent a summer in Canada when I was 20, and I lost count the amount of Canadian guys who couldn't understand why I would choose to be so pale. I kept on having to explain that I don't tan, and they kept on saying I needed to get in the sun more. While on holiday recently I was heading out for an evening, and my brother asked if I was not wearing tights with my outfit as my legs looked like milk bottles. He didn't say anything about tights to my tanned sisters!

In other countries such as India, or even Spain, people will comment on your skincolour but not in a derogatory way. They are just so used to seeing dark skinned people that they are amazed to see someone so pale. I don't mind people staring at me or commenting on my skin tone at all, as long as they are not being offensive.

When I was looking for that picture of Nicola Roberts the amount of negative comments associated with that picture of her standing beside her bandmates is unreal. People are saying she looked like a 'ghost' and 'unhealthy'. Nicola always felt she was 'the ugly one' in Girls Aloud because of her pale skin. I can definitely relate to where she is coming from. I think pale skin is just seen as being unhealthy and unglamorous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

panda100 wrote: »
    ... and they kept on saying I needed to get in the sun more.

Some said this to me. On a beach. In 35 degree weather. While I was wearing shorts and a tank. :rolleyes: How could one be more in the sun than this!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I get that as well. Get out in the sun more.
    Seriously I don't tan I don't burn, blister, peel and then burn again.
    Why would I get out in the sun more so I can suffer more?

I have allergies so constantly smearing myself with factor 50 is not an option either
    and there is no way I am going to put more chemicals in the form of fake tan on.
    I'm pale get over it and keep your comments to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm quite shocked about these comments too! I've never in my life had someone make a comment to me about not wearing fake tan/being pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Unfortunately, many of the comments here of people getting negative reactions because they refuse to wear fake tan are pretty unsurprising.

I'm a redhead, pale and completely unable to tan. For my debs, my mom pressured me into getting a fake tan done, and looking back on photos I looked orange and ridiculous. She still gives me a hard time about not 'going for a little colour' for weddings, but I know what suits me and have refused to wear it ever since.

A number of people I know who wear fake tan don't do it so much for the colour, but rather to cover up problematic skin or an uneven skin tone. Fair enough. But I personally feel that it's not worth it for the amount of mess, hassle and expense it creates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Oh I have had comments! After a night out people would remark about pictures saying, "Look how pale you are next to me. my God." Yeah only because you have made yourself look like a black person!

And the worse was before a night out when someone's tan didn't come out as nice as they wanted and they would say something like they will just stand next to me all night to seem darker. Morons.

I know a girl who is just beautiful and pale. I remember chatting to her ages ago about fake tan, she said she never did it but was trying it soon because she was going on a night out with girls who all wear it and didn't want to stick out. Now a couple of years later she always goes out with these girls and always wears tan. Its hard to know whether its because she thinks she looks better or because she was comparing herself to friends. I always thought she was gorgeous!

But I can understand when there have been formal events and I have been the only one in group pictures not tanned! Never bothered me, but I guess it could for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

If there is sun I will tan fairly easily and would never really be that pale. I tan my legs with instant tan and maybe put a bit of bronzer on my arms but that's it. I never wear fake tan, even if I am pale, it's too much effort, I can't stand the smell of it and it would destroy my clothes. Mainly I am just tooooo lazy :rolleyes: Some girls have lovely fake tan and others don't.

Personally if all my friends want fake tan that's grand, I will never judge anyone who does use it, I am just too lazy.

As for the chemicals in fake tan, sure the same chemicals are in most beauty products...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My grandfather suffered from skin cancer from before I was born, he was a carpenter and had spent many years working outdoors in the sun. When his redheaded granddaughter came along, he really drilled home the message of sun protection. I distinctly remember being three or four years old and being put in one of his shirts and a hat as it was such a hot day! He died of his illness when I was ten and I never forgot his message of how important it is to protect myself. Even now, I can burn within twenty minutes on a really hot day in Ireland. If anyone ever tells me that I look unhealthy without a tan they will get short shrift.

I adore 1940s/50s style and my peaches & cream complexion suits the look. Tanned is so far removed from my real skin tone that it couldn't possibly look better, I'd feel like I was in disguise! I just hate the idea that it's somehow obligatory, to be 'dressed up'. My Aussie cousins couldn't believe the obsession some Irish women have with tanning. There's a lot to be said for just being happy in your skin, pale or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Speaking as a guy who's gone out with girls the whole spectrum from lovely and pale to ebony black, there's nothing more attractive than a girl who embrace her own natural beauty.

I find fake tan and skin lightening creams slightly sad to be honest. Like someone's hiding who they really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I'm naturally and I buuurrnnn if not careful. I wear factor 50 and I'm tring to be more careful. I'm noticing sun damage and freckles from when I was a child/early teen when I had a few bad burns. I'm surprised at how pale I look at times when out and about while at other times, I suppose because of lighting I notice variations a lot more.

I've never had the milk bottle comment, but if I did, they would be getting a comment back!

Anybody know of a non greasy moisturiser with a decent spf for face and neck?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm naturally and I buuurrnnn if not careful. I wear factor 50 and I'm tring to be more careful. I'm noticing sun damage and freckles from when I was a child/early teen when I had a few bad burns. I'm surprised at how pale I look at times when out and about while at other times, I suppose because of lighting I notice variations a lot more.

I've never had the milk bottle comment, but if I did, they would be getting a comment back!

Anybody know of a non greasy moisturiser with a decent spf for face and neck?

nivea oil free has spf 15

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd like to wear an SPF every day on my face, but I don't have time for a sun cream that has to soak in because I usually hastily slap on a bit of foundation before leaving the house.

My pet peeve with my paleness is that I'm so see-through. I can see all my veins through my skin and any cuts or bruises are so obvious. I still can't be arsed using tan as a general rule though.

The problem with a lot of Irish girls is that a nice healthy glow can be attractive. But they end up looking like they've put streaky mahogany wood varnish all over themselves, which gives tan a pretty bad rep!
    Still, pale or streaky orange all the way before destroying your skin with sunbeds in my opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Posy I think you notice it more as it's yourself.

I'm so pale I glow in the dark, wear SPF 15 in the winter and 50 in warm weather, I tend to burn, blister and then peel

And I'm allergic to fake tan, so I've learned to live with being very very pale.

I'd never however go bare legged, I just wear holdups in a very natural colour, and makeup wise I tend to wear a colour very close to my skin colour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm just lucky I generally don't burn. :)
    I was in a queue in blistering sunshine for over 2 hours waiting to get into a popular museum in Italy, in August, when it was 40 degrees (with no sun protection) and was paler afterwards.
    I think I'm sun repellent. I'd need about 3 weeks of constant sunshine to even get a shade less pale! :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Posy wrote: »
    I was in a queue in blistering sunshine for over 2 hours waiting to get into a popular museum in Italy, in August, when it was 40 degrees (with no sun protection) and was paler afterwards.
    I think I'm sun repellent. I'd need about 3 weeks of constant sunshine to even get a shade less pale! :o

You are, I very diligently applied factor fifty on the hour for four hours in 35 degree heat in Toronto a few years ago and ended up sleeping sitting up due to the sun/windburn :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Separated at birth P :D I make Dracula look like he's got a bit of colour, but for some odd reason don't burn. I spent a fortnight in the Sahara many moons ago and the Moroccan lads I was with were cracking up with the comments on how I was still the whitest human they'd ever seen at the end of it. Oh I went a bit red on the second or third day and they were all "aha, Irishman is going to buuurn". The bastards. :D I then went right back to "Christ I can see his bones through the skin". One Tuareg lad who was really dark, near blue black would regularly come up to me and look hard at me and say what sounded like the same thing in Arabic. When I asked what, the rest kept me in suspense until the last day, when they told me it translated as "you're weird". :D It appears we both have white melatonin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My legs are like that, I'm pale all over but my legs, especially the thighs, just do not seem to have the ability to burn or tan. My face and arms will tan a bit if I was to let them, or maybe they don't tan just freckle so much that the freckles meet up and I look slightly tanned. But I prefer not to tan at all. I generally wear SPF30, and as importantly 5* UVA, protection most days, even when it's not sunny. If it's very sunny or I'm on holidays I go up to SPF 50(+) as long as it's still 5*UVA. But the best sunscreen I've found is the Tesco brand factor 30 as I can wear it all around my eyes, including on my eyelids, without it irritating them.

I'm pale and that's just how I am so I see no reason to do anything to change it or pretend that's not my skin colour. I have pink toned skin and most fake tan is designed for yellow toned skin, so I'd only ever look extremely orange if I was to wear it anyway, no matter how lightly I applied it.

I'm also very mole-y so I have to protect them. In fact I had a mole removed last year because it was changing colour and looked like a melanoma. Waiting for the results was utterly terrifying, even though I don't usually sunbathe and I knew my mole was fading around a patch that was staying dark, rather than part of it going dark which is the usual way melanomas present. It's definitely not worth tanning if it endangers your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

The furthest I've ever gotten with fake tan was the self spray on ones in my younger days when I was a bit self conscious about my pale skin, and thankfully I never looked orange.

Well actually, I lie, I have looked orange once. And ironically this was at my Debs when I got a professional to do my make up. I didn't really wear much make up anyway and she went completely overboard with it!! I remember running to the bathroom as soon as I got home and scrubbing my face with tissue to try get the worst of the orange off!

Now, I don't mind being pale. I will usually wear tan tights if I'm wearing a dress though as my legs can be a bit blotchy and they even them out. Luckily, I've found a shade that matches me perfectly and people are often shocked when I tell them I'm wearing them. If I'm wearing sandles or peep toe shoes and don't want to wear tights I'll use Sally Hansen in the lightest shade. Doesn't add colour, just a nice airbrush effect :)

I hate getting burned and am really conscious of protecting my skin, so sun protection is a must - no natural tan for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Pale&proud. Always been the palest person in the family(and often the palest person in the group where-ever I go) I've had the "milk bottle" and "have you never seen the sun before in your life" comments and I just give 'm a look and say:"yeah so?" and that stops any annoying comments. Never have worn fake tan and don't think I ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I have got some very rude comments about my paleness. One friend even tried to get me to get sun burnt as I 'would look better'!!! i just ignore it now. I occasionally wear tan but I only use very little and nobody would ever know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't fake tan for a few reasons; I don't like the smell, I'm too lazy to delicately apply it, wait for it to dry etc., and I don't know why, but the thought of all of my skin being covered in something makes me feel a bit uneasy.

It doesn't bother if other people wear fake tan, different strokes for different folks and all that, but for me, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Now, I don't mind being pale. I will usually wear tan tights if I'm wearing a dress though as my legs can be a bit blotchy and they even them out. Luckily, I've found a shade that matches me perfectly and people are often shocked when I tell them I'm wearing them.

Do you want to share the brand of tights? It would be helpful given how many paleskins are posting on this thread.

I too have embraced factor 30 - 50 from my late teens. Now I'm at an age where I look a few years younger than my chronological age and I'm thankful that I've taken care of my skin.

I do go a light tan but unfortunately cycling kit is not conducive to a flattering tan, I end up with a farmer's tan. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Marks and Spencers Oiled Look tights are brilliant! If I ever go bare legs I'd wear them instead of tan, less chance of me making a mess of it!

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Denier-Cooling-Sheer-Oiled-Tights/dp/B002F64LMK

Advertisement