Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of UCD as a university?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

cinderelli wrote: »
    I have tried so hard to like it, but in all honesty I loathe having to go to UCD. I feel the university system is not sympathetic enough with poorer students - I have to work constantly during the semester to support myself and I feel totally left out of the whole 'college experience' it promises. As a sociable, easy-going, chatty person, I can't stand the long days spent on my own travelling from class to class. I would imagine, though, if your parents were supporting your rent, food and social life, leaving you with plenty of free time (to get involved with societies, etc.), then it would be a lot more fun. I am lost in UCD.

Do you get a grant? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I have tried so hard to like it, but in all honesty I loathe having to go to UCD. I feel the university system is not sympathetic enough with poorer students - I have to work constantly during the semester to support myself and I feel totally left out of the whole 'college experience' it promises. As a sociable, easy-going, chatty person, I can't stand the long days spent on my own travelling from class to class. I would imagine, though, if your parents were supporting your rent, food and social life, leaving you with plenty of free time (to get involved with societies, etc.), then it would be a lot more fun. I am lost in UCD.

Unfortunate and sorry to hear that, but would your situation not be the same in most of the universities?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hey Im very sorry to hear that and frankly that situation is not good enough. Wealth shouldnt dictate college experience. Everyone is entitled to enjoy college. I would strongly advise you to go speak to a student advisor who deals with your subject eg arts, science. He/She will be able to advise you on any extra funding available.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cinderelli

Do you get a grant? :confused:

Yes, I do, but it's not enough to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yup, too big... Very easy to be lost in the crowd. Extremely difficult to make friends in Arts because everyone has their own timetable and once you get talking to someone you rarely see them after that due to huge class sizes. Most of my modules are too exam focused and I was led to believe that although 3rd level certainly did have exams, that continuous assessment would be a huge component, not so I've found.

Of course people will contradict me or argue with me, but these are my experiences, everyone's is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 tdawg

I became incredibly depressed in UCD. Much for the reasons why the poster above disliked the place, I just wasn't able to have the experience that so many others seem to enjoy.

That said I got a great degree and a good job from it, but I still regret my 4 years there.

If you can ensure you will be able to have a healthy social life I am sure it is a great place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I love UCD and while I wouldn't exactly be the most sociable in the world (don't drink or go to clubs) I found it easy to find my niche in societies doing things I enjoy and am interested in. I think some people take for granted that they'll just be swarmed with friends once they get there, but you need to put in the work to get to know people and form friendships.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'm 17 so I can't go to clubs, therefore I didn't join any societies except for Artsoc, L&H and Frenchsoc, but I've still managed to make a lot of friends. Most are in my course though (International Languages), I'm not sure if I've made any friends in my classes who are in arts...then again, I'm not even too sure how I befriended all the people in my actual course haha, I guess with all our subjects being French/Spanish/Italian/German/Portuguese we have a lot more overlap than arts. The peer mentor groups are a great idea too.

I personally love UCD, it's a very nice campus and the global lounge is lovely. The staff are friendly and most of the people are really nice too - I've never found any snobbery, unless you could call those people who go around wearing the hoodies from their private schools snobby. :P

Advertisement