Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of UCD as a university?

Options
  • 29-04-2012 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm currently in 6th year doing the big LC in June! (dreading it) I'm thinking of putting BA joint Arts in UCD first on my CAO. Just wondering what the students think of UCD, would you recommend it? Is it an easy place to make friends? Is it over all a nice place to study?

I've asked around a bit and I seem to be hearing quite a mixed response, was just curious to know what the students think!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

It's like an American university, only it can't make any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Very old-fashioned in terms of assessment. More often than not, you'll find your progress depends on your ability to memorise stuff and regurgitate it on to bits of dead tree. This even happened in the one computer science course I took, for 50% of the marks: writing out C++ code with a pen. Despite what appears on their website, they haven't really got their heads around the notions of "aligned assessment" or "learning outcomes".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

The assessment that I have come across has been quite useful & practical. E.g. for a course in practical organisational psychology we were required to actually go out and conduct a job analysis assessment on individuals. When we are assessed on our thesis component, we have to completely design an experiment/investigation ourselves, source participants, apply to ethics boards etc., interpret the findings using SPSS etc & write a thesis, so that assessment really does prepare you for a future in research/clinical/educational etc. psychology. But again that may just be in our school as there are strict regulations as to what a psychology course can entail & assessment as defined by the governing body of psychology.

As a university, I have found it quite pleasant. I live on campus so I spend quite a bit of time here. It's a nice place to go for a walk. I think the admin & registration side of things leaves a lot to be desired, but I only really deal directly with admin people at registration & booking accommodation, so out of the scheme of things I don't have a problem being mildly put out by them just twice a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I like it compared to where I have been before. I'm doing the BA joint arts atm. Lectures are huge but the biggest problem is noise from other students but the content is pretty good. If you stay with arts, your lectures will be in the same location for the most part. I used to spend up to 4 lectures in the same room.
    From the arts block, there is a walkway to the library (so no need to go outside if its wet), student union shop under that and a deli/costa coffee. Lots of other places for food etc.

Assessment will depend on what subjects you take. In one module I had 1 essay and 4 Multiple Choice Questions with no final exam. Others have been divided into 50% essay/attendance and 50 exam; 70/30 etc. There are a few 100% exams but not so much in 1st year.
    College is also in two semesters, so whatever you learn in Sept-Dec will be examined in Dec. The next semester is Jan-April, with exams in May. Would be a nice change from the LC that requires you to remember details from the last 2 years for the exam.

Technology wise, well, it could be improved but if you have a decent laptop that you look after you'll not need it too much. The wifi can be a pain, but its a matter of picking a location or bring in a cable to plug into the network.

Best way for friends is probably having a year in the dorms, join the societies/sports etc and just getting involved.

G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

seanor3 wrote: »
    It's like an American university, only it can't make any money.

It presumably would if it charged students $40,000 a year like Yale
    http://www.architecture.yale.edu/drupal/admissions/tuition_fees

or even the University of New York's relatively cheap $20,000 a year
    http://www.nyu.edu/bursar/tuition.fees/rates11/ugcas.html

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

I'm studying abroad in a US university where in state rates are around $5,000 a year. The facilities here make me view UCD as a complete farce (obviously I understand there's a huge funding gap, but it will still make it hard to go back to UCD next semester). Little things like free printing, free gym, free organized sporting competitions (like superleague except with 15+ sports represented), free public transport, free physiotherapy if you play any organized sport, 24 hr library, a plug at every seat in the libraries, working wifi throughout campus etc.
    There's far more I could go on about but having had my eyes opened up to what other students in other universities have access to has made me bemoan my return to UCD. Not to put you off UCD OP because there's not much better available elsewhere in Ireland, but it's been great to be part of a university where everything just seems to work and bureaucracy doesn't have a habit of getting in the way all the time.

seanor3 wrote: »
    It's run like an American university, only it can't make any money.
    Corrected myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It presumably would if it charged students $40,000 a year like Yale
    http://www.architecture.yale.edu/drupal/admissions/tuition_fees

or even the University of New York's relatively cheap $20,000 a year
    http://www.nyu.edu/bursar/tuition.fees/rates11/ugcas.html

:D

I know of at least one guy in my year and he's paying something that's not totally unlike what a student would pay to go to NYU to attend UCD. International students pay an incredible amount more than EU students.

In general, comparing us to American universities is by and large silly...

Fad wrote: »
    In general, comparing us to American universities is by and large silly...
    I don't know about that. In the sense that the University is run in such a way that its (and I say it referring to admin and Hughie B. and the like) priorities are attempting to maximise profitability and public exposure, with little focus on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Offside wrote: »
    I'm studying abroad in a US university where in state rates are around $5,000 a year. The facilities here make me view UCD as a complete farce (obviously I understand there's a huge funding gap, but it will still make it hard to go back to UCD next semester). Little things like free printing, free gym, free organized sporting competitions (like superleague except with 15+ sports represented), free public transport, free physiotherapy if you play any organized sport, 24 hr library, a plug at every seat in the libraries, working wifi throughout campus etc.
    There's far more I could go on about but having had my eyes opened up to what other students in other universities have access to has made me bemoan my return to UCD. Not to put you off UCD OP because there's not much better available elsewhere in Ireland, but it's been great to be part of a university where everything just seems to work and bureaucracy doesn't have a habit of getting in the way all the time.

5 cent per page isnt asking much considering the printing shop is in debt

The new gym and pool are free to all current UCD students.

In fairness, most of the campus does have wifi. Nowhere on earth can guarantee that the internet can work at full capacity 100% of the time when you have 28,000 students ....

• Advertisement

It is a bit disgraceful imo. I've heard that the OAI (O'Sonadaigh arts' institute) in Ballsbridge and the Bertie Ahern school of Economics in Drumcondra both grant free printing.

Ha alright lads, just pick out one of the perks of this university that I posted amongst a whole load of others to show overall better services here than in UCD and rip me apart on it, good work. With regards to the wifi, it's not impossible, because it works everywhere on campus, I can be out by the pool doing some reading and can call home over viber or skype. I can leave campus and head to the mainstreet and the wifi will extend all along there as well. There's 30,000 students here and I've maybe had wifi troubles twice since August. If I need to go to the mall I can jump on a bus for free.

There's heaps more stuff I could go on about; great, we're all going to have a free gym next year - it's going to be packed all the time. Here there's four gyms so none of them are ever packed. Students get to go free to football and basketball games - in UCD you have to pay to go to a LOI game or a rugby game. This has the effect of boosting attendence, boosting atmosphere, and with a better attendence, and a better atmosphere, ticket sales come out of it. Our football team are ****e and still get 60,000 people at games. It fosters a sense of community and togetherness amongst the students and a real dedication to the university - I'm not saying that this could ever happen in UCD because obviously the college sporting scene is very different over here and a huge earner - but I'm just trying to convey how initially overwhelmed I was by the level of services here when I first arrived - together as a whole. I didn't come in here with a one line post saying "We have free printing, UCD sucks!" - no, we have that as well as many other services.

I love UCD, but having seen how another university can function so well I was just explaining that it'll be strange to come back to a far lower level of services. I'm not complaining because we pay such low fees - but if I were from outside of Europe and paying huge fees, I'd consider that I had huge grounds to feel aggrieved.

Oh and Fad; the only reason I made the comparison to this American university is because it's a state university with fees of $5,000 dollars for instate students who comprise 83% of the undergraduate student body. Those fees are not astronomical.

Ha alright lads, just pick out one of the perks of this university that I posted amongst a whole load of others to show overall better services here than in UCD and rip me apart on it, good work. With regards to the wifi, it's not impossible, because it works everywhere on campus, I can be out by the pool doing some reading and can call home over viber or skype. I can leave campus and head to the mainstreet and the wifi will extend all along there as well. There's 30,000 students here and I've maybe had wifi troubles twice since August. If I need to go to the mall I can jump on a bus for free.

There's heaps more stuff I could go on about; great, we're all going to have a free gym next year - it's going to be packed all the time. Here there's four gyms so none of them are ever packed. Students get to go free to football and basketball games - in UCD you have to pay to go to a LOI game or a rugby game. This has the effect of boosting attendence, boosting atmosphere, and with a better attendence, and a better atmosphere, ticket sales come out of it. Our football team are ****e and still get 60,000 people at games. It fosters a sense of community and togetherness amongst the students and a real dedication to the university - I'm not saying that this could ever happen in UCD because obviously the college sporting scene is very different over here and a huge earner - but I'm just trying to convey how initially overwhelmed I was by the level of services here when I first arrived - together as a whole. I didn't come in here with a one line post saying "We have free printing, UCD sucks!" - no, we have that as well as many other services.

I love UCD, but having seen how another university can function so well I was just explaining that it'll be strange to come back to a far lower level of services. I'm not complaining because we pay such low fees - but if I were from outside of Europe and paying huge fees, I'd consider that I had huge grounds to feel aggrieved.

Oh and Fad; the only reason I made the comparison to this American university is because it's a state university with fees of $5,000 dollars for instate students who comprise 83% of the undergraduate student body. Those fees are not astronomical.

What university is it: because even for in-state students less than $15,000 a year is very unusual.

Moreover, the money has to come from somewhere. Either the student pays at the front door, or he's going to pay at the backdoor when he's getting a job. Fancy paying 5% more income tax to fund multiple free gyms at universities (just in case there's crowding) and consistent wifi? I sure wouldn't.

What university is it: because even for in-state students less than $15,000 a year is very unusual.

Moreover, the money has to come from somewhere. Either the student pays at the front door, or he's going to pay at the backdoor when he's getting a job. Fancy paying 5% more income tax to fund multiple free gyms at universities (just in case there's crowding) and consistent wifi? I sure wouldn't.

It's Chapel Hill, I just checked and it's $7,000 so I was a bit off. Anyway at the end of my post I said I'm not complaining because we pay lower fees here; just that it will be strange to come back to a lower level of service. I am however in favour of a grad tax or student loan system that would inject money into the system and at least make the academics better; as afterall thats what we're here for before gyms etc. Where that money would end up after going through the Bureaucratic layers of UCD would worry me though.
    Over the summer I did some business with UCD sports and I was informed that to make payment to them for our sales I would have to do it by a cheque made out to the Sports Centre as from a bank transfer it would go into the ONE UCD main account and there would be no paper trail that earmarked that money as payment to them. I was astounded by this (that being said, it's so astounding he may have been telling me a few tales).

$7000 is just for tuition and fees. Their total estimate for going to Chapel Hill for an instate resident is $20,660. Big difference, and before you say, that it is only a state and they can live near by, North Carolina is nearly twice the size of Ireland, so there are plenty of students who would have to pay that.
    All that stuff they don't pay for probably comes for the millions it gets donated to it in land/cash/etc.

Enjoy it while you can cos the RDS is pretty miserable right now.

Maldesu wrote: »
    $7000 is just for tuition and fees. Their total estimate for going to Chapel Hill for an instate resident is $20,660. Big difference, and before you say, that it is only a state and they can live near by, North Carolina is nearly twice the size of Ireland, so there are plenty of students who would have to pay that.
    All that stuff they don't pay for probably comes for the millions it gets donated to it in land/cash/etc.

Enjoy it while you can cos the RDS is pretty miserable right now.

Yeah I get that, I was just speaking on a tuition/fees basis as it was direct money into the universities pocket, the others are incidentals based on living fees, some of their estimates are crazy as well -I've probably spent $100 on books, not the grand that they say, I could have spent a grand but made smart use of the library :)

The culture over here as well is very different, even if you grow up in Chapel Hill, you're out of the house when college starts, it's pretty taboo to live at home. You're right on the donations and I didn't think of it, obviously UCD gets a few but there are huge donations being made by alumni to this university and you can see this just by looking at the names of most of the buildings around and that helps out the university out greatly.

I'm enjoying my last week here in the sunny weather at the moment, dreading a return to a dreary Dublin summer, but I've had an incredibly good run out here - best year of my life, and at the end of the day, none of it would have been possible without UCD. To the OP, bringing this somewhat back on topic, make sure you look into an exchange, you won't regret it and it's one of the best opportunities UCD can offer you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The culture over here as well is very different, even if you grow up in Chapel Hill, you're out of the house when college starts, it's pretty taboo to live at home.

People who think like that are partially the reasons Americans get into so much college debt in the States. I know plenty of Americans who lived at home while attending community college before transferring to a state school university for the final two years which was within commuting distance and these are the one's with the lowest amounts of debt.

If you're living off your parents money away from home you're haven't really moved out at all. If your parents are happy for you to stay home and commute moving out is a massive waste of money considering the cost of university in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Over the summer I did some business with UCD sports and I was informed that to make payment to them for our sales I would have to do it by a cheque made out to the Sports Centre as from a bank transfer it would go into the ONE UCD main account and there would be no paper trail that earmarked that money as payment to them. I was astounded by this (that being said, it's so astounding he may have been telling me a few tales).

He's talking bollocks. I've worked in UCD admin part time alongside my studies for the last few semesters and he's just talking pure ****e. No idea why he's doing so though.

People who think like that are partially the reasons Americans get into so much college debt in the States. I know plenty of Americans who lived at home while attending community college before transferring to a state school university for the final two years which was within commuting distance and these are the one's with the lowest amounts of debt.

If you're living off your parents money away from home you're haven't really moved out at all. If your parents are happy for you to stay home and commute moving out is a massive waste of money considering the cost of university in America.

Yeah I should have added that it's a requirement to live on campus for your first year - no matter where you live. You're free to live wherever after that but most won't go back - most of my friends have jobs to pay their rent, their parents or loans help them with tuition but I don't know many people who are getting a free ride off their parents.

Also thanks for clearing that up about UCD sport, I'll have some words when I'm back in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've known plenty of Americans studying abroad here over the past few years and without exception they've all been horrified at the availability and quality of services in UCD. 5 years ago when fees were minimal it was possible to just shrug your shoulders and say "well eh, at least its free" in response. The continual upward trend in registration fees is bringing UCD closer and closer in terms of tuition fees to in-state state school tuition in the U.S. though.

These rising fees combined with the cost-cutting measures introduced across Belfield in the last few years do not lead to flattering comparisons to most comparable international institutions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 onlylola

Guys, this isn't a thread about how UCD compares (or doesn't) to American Universities.... Stick to the original question? What's UCD like to study in? Is it difficult to make friends, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I love the place!
    It's fantastically easy to make friends, and the people in general are a great bunch.
    The lecturers, in general, are also very good! Of course there's a few duds, but sure what harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I think UCD is a brilliant university, and I say that as someone who has changed courses in order to study here and have seen what it's like elsewhere. My professors are by and large fantastic and really interested in what they teach, which really comes across in how they engage with the subjects. I genuinely enjoy my course (Engish and history) and find the topics very interesting.

And the fact that I'm saying this during exam time... well, I think it says something :P

Btw-- while everyone's entitled to their opinion and to speak negatively about UCD, I do think some individuals should be a whole lot more grateful for the fact that they have even made it to third level education at all and have the lifestyles that they do... just saying.

Siuin I think UCD is a brilliant university, and I say that as someone who has changed courses in order to study here and have seen what it's like elsewhere. My professors are by and large fantastic and really interested in what they teach, which really comes across in how they engage with the subjects. I genuinely enjoy my course (Engish and history) and find the topics very interesting.

And the fact that I'm saying this during exam time... well, I think it says something

Btw-- while everyone's entitled to their opinion and to speak negatively about UCD, I do think some individuals should be a whole lot more grateful for the fact that they have even made it to third level education at all and have the lifestyles that they do... just saying

Siuin :) Heyy... thanks for that reply! What's English like at UCD? I'm thinking of putting it down as I highly doubt I'll get the points for TCD (it doesn't bother me too much though, I preferred UCD on the open day in November)

What type of stuff are you studying? Are the lecturers good? Do you have small tutorials as well as lectures? Any info on the course would be really appreciated! :D

Oh and Beardedmaster... Are you doing arts? Or what are you studying? I'm just curious as I know Arts is probably the largest faculty at the university and the sheer size of it is quite daunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    5 cent per page isnt asking much considering the printing shop is in debt

I wonder why that is ... hmm ... UCDSU overspending and wasting the Union fee contribution on frivolous crap such as the UCD Ball and nights out.
    RoundBox11 wrote: »
    The new gym and pool are free to all current UCD students.

The gym and pool doesn't exist yet. The last gym (Crunch Fitness) wasn't free, so why is this one going to be - where did UCD get all this money all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Pedant wrote: »
    The gym and pool doesn't exist yet. The last gym (Crunch Fitness) wasn't free, so why is this one going to be - where did UCD get all this money all of a sudden?

Because you paid a 250e student centre levy for the last 6000 years. Future students will probably have a mandatory levy which covers the gym, just like Trinity do, but in effect it's a ****ing awesome building and worth it every day of the week.

If you've a problem that you didn't get your money worth from the SU opt out, you have a constitutional right to, and if you write a letter to Pat De Brun he'll sort it out. You'll get your 20 euro back, but historically the SU have done a huge amount for UCD. Read bygone belfield, its a blog that details the history of the college. Simple things like having a bus shelter at the 39a stop, having the trap for the years we did, having the bar, having the SU centre, having printing and copying facilities, having access to free contraception, having discounted medical care with free access to counselling, having someone trying their ****ing best to stand up for your rights to education, or privacy if you live on res. All these things the SU gives you.

And if you have a problem that for one day a year the college gets to host a massive festival that is the ****ing envy of the 5 universities in Ireland that don't get one you need to take a step back and ask yourself if you know the meaning of fun? The UCD ball as a spectacle is absolutely incredible, its only a couple of years old and its faced challenges past and future, but SU officers have worked tirelessly to get over those. I know if I was an NUIG student and a UCD student told me that for one day a year their whole college shuts down, a stage rolls out, everyone has a few drinks enjoys the weather (good or bad) and listens to bands that may not be filling stadiums, but are getting radio and club time, I'd be jealous.

20 euro a year man, you'd swear membership was costing you a grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

onlylola wrote: »
    Siuin :) Heyy... thanks for that reply! What's English like at UCD? I'm thinking of putting it down as I highly doubt I'll get the points for TCD (it doesn't bother me too much though, I preferred UCD on the open day in November)

What type of stuff are you studying? Are the lecturers good? Do you have small tutorials as well as lectures? Any info on the course would be really appreciated! :D

English in UCD is really great- the material they choose is very interesting and even for less thrilling aspects of English such as Medieval literature, they really do try their best to make it appealing to the students. I would highly recommend it. Definitely put English down on your CAO and don't leave choosing subjects until you get there. It's a very popular course and my cousin waited until she'd enrolled only to find that there were no spaces left.

The spectrum of what we study is really broad. In first year you basically get a taste of poetry, prose and plays from every era and of many styles. The results of this year don't count towards you final degree. Then in second year you can choose from your favourite areas. For example, I really enjoyed writing about American plays and novels in first year, so I took modern American literature in second year. Basically, you tailor the course to suit your own interests.

There's also a really great feature of arts in UCD which allows you to do one module outside of your course each semester. I got a chance to learn Arabic and Russian through this, and it was really nice to have a break from the usual material I'd be studying and try out something different. You can choose anything- creative writing, philosophy, history, Irish folklore, a whole bunch of languages- the list is endless!

Our lecturers are fantastic- quite a few are very witty which makes everything so much more enjoyable, and they're very approachable if you have a problem or just want to chat about an aspect of the course.

Yes, we have small tutorials (about 15 people max in each of mine) and they're *extremely* important to attend. Not just because 10% of your overall grade is often for attendance, but it's basically where everything from the lectures is broken down and discussed in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

we are unreal.

• Advertisement

Siuin wrote: »
    English in UCD is really great- the material they choose is very interesting and even for less thrilling aspects of English such as Medieval literature, they really do try their best to make it appealing to the students. I would highly recommend it. Definitely put English down on your CAO and don't leave choosing subjects until you get there. It's a very popular course and my cousin waited until she'd enrolled only to find that there were no spaces left.

If you are taking English make sure you have the time to dedicate to it. There is a lot of reading to be done esp. in Coming Age of Narratives. There are 3 group projects over the year which require research and the workload can depend on the the other members.
    If you want English make sure its on your CAO form as there were no places left when the year began. Two modules are compulsory and dependant on moving to Second Year. Literature in Context 1 + 2. If you have an interest in history, this course will appeal to you, but if you are taking it with History, be ready for a heavy workload.

If you want more specifics you can PM me.

Advertisement