Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of UCD as a university?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

onlylola wrote: »
    Oh and Beardedmaster... Are you doing arts? Or what are you studying? I'm just curious as I know Arts is probably the largest faculty at the university and the sheer size of it is quite daunting!

Hiya onlylola. I'm a Science student (snarf) - another quite a big class. But don't let the size of any faculty or class intimidate you! It's so easy (let alone enjoyable), to make new friends with people every day by just sitting beside them in the lecture and having the banter - I met some of my very best friends in college by just that.

If you're a bit too shy for that kinda thing, then I've one thing to say to you - get involved, problem solved! :D The range of clubs and societies set up by students for students is fantastic, and I seriously recommend getting involved with them, as they're brilliant. Drama, music, film-making, debating, soccer, rugby, GAA, musicals, Dutch Gold... whatever your interest, it's all catered for! The people that you find in them will amaze you at their talent and skill at whatever particular field, and will end up, or are doing it professionally.
    Infact even if you have a load of friends in your course, get involved with clubs and societies anyway - you'll really have a great time, and one fantastic aspect about them is that you can get to know people really well that are doing completely different and diverse courses, but you have an interest in common with them, and would never have met them otherwise.

I'm not from Dublin, but over 20 people out of my year in secondary school came to UCD. While I'm friends with all of them, I made sure to not just hang around with those people only - get to know more people! Another great thing to do would be, say, you're doing Arts, and your friend from secondary school is doing Law - go out with your friend and his Law buddies sometime! It's always great to get to know people that are in the same year as you but are a different course, as even when you just meet them around the concourse, the sheer camaraderie of meeting someone you know randomly, and having a chat - it's great! When I was in 1st year, by Christmas I couldn't walk from my accommodation to my lectures without bumping into at least one person I know, which is fantastic considering the size of the place!

I wasn't feeling the best when I came to UCD, but the sheer friendliness of the atmosphere and how welcoming all the academics, peer mentors and everyone is fantastic in trying to get you to feel at ease in University.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

errlloyd wrote: »
    If you've a problem that you didn't get your money worth from the SU opt out, you have a constitutional right to, and if you write a letter to Pat De Brun he'll sort it out. You'll get your 20 euro back, but historically the SU have done a huge amount for UCD.

Beyond the point I was trying to make really, though I think that paying the Union fee should be an option on registration. The UCDSU hasn't functioned right for many years. It's too focused on Ents than anything else, probably one of the main reasons why the photocopying facilities were shut. How do you explain why UCDSU is in so much debt.
    Read bygone belfield, its a blog that details the history of the college. Simple things like having a bus shelter at the 39a stop, having the trap for the years we did, having the bar, having the SU centre, having printing and copying facilities, having access to free contraception, having discounted medical care with free access to counselling, having someone trying their ****ing best to stand up for your rights to education, or privacy if you live on res. All these things the SU gives you.

Getting a bus shelter for the 39a stop isn't an amazing achievement, to be honest - I don't see why it would cost too much to put one up. They should have tried a little harder to keep the number 10 in service. I'd honestly close the Student Bar to save the printing and copying facilities - I think more people use those than the bar. Where's this "free" contraception - you referring to shag week? A couple of thousand condoms, big bloody deal. Discounted medical care? Not any more, I wonder why...hmm. The UCDSU should focus all their funds on education, educational facilities, welfare and counselling. Scrap the rest, UCDEnt should be scrapped, the college has societies for those things sort of things. The Union should prioritize on what's important.
    And if you have a problem that for one day a year the college gets to host a massive festival that is the ****ing envy of the 5 universities in Ireland that don't get one you need to take a step back and ask yourself if you know the meaning of fun?

Envy me arse, Trinity's one is far better every year. I don't think the Union should be spending most of it's funds on a piss up instead of educational facilities. You come to college for an education, first and foremost, the fun and games are purely secondary.
    The UCD ball as a spectacle is absolutely incredible, its only a couple of years old and its faced challenges past and future, but SU officers have worked tirelessly to get over those.

"Challenges" is an understatement. Remember last year? The Ents officer (how much was he paid?) didn't do a tap all year to get the UCD Ball sorted out, nearly got cancelled.
    I know if I was an NUIG student and a UCD student told me that for one day a year their whole college shuts down, a stage rolls out, everyone has a few drinks enjoys the weather (good or bad) and listens to bands that may not be filling stadiums, but are getting radio and club time, I'd be jealous.

20 euro a year man, you'd swear membership was costing you a grand.

If an NUIG student had a free photocopying service, I'd be envious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Pedant wrote: »
    Beyond the point I was trying to make really, though I think that paying the Union fee should be an option on registration. The UCDSU hasn't functioned right for many years. It's too focused on Ents than anything else, probably one of the main reasons why the photocopying facilities were shut. How do you explain why UCDSU is in so much debt.

A: Ents breaks even and has always broken even.
    B: If its so ents focussed why did it take the ents officer out of the new constitution
    C: UCD is a town of 20,000 people with no entertainment facilities, I'm glad someone is trying to create some sort of fun for students.
    D: Those photocopy facilities were losing 48,000e a year.
    Getting a bus shelter for the 39a stop isn't an amazing achievement, to be honest - I don't see why it would cost too much to put one up. They should have tried a little harder to keep the number 10 in service. I'd honestly close the Student Bar to save the printing and copying facilities - I think more people use those than the bar. Where's this "free" contraception - you referring to shag week? A couple of thousand condoms, big bloody deal. Discounted medical care? Not any more, I wonder why...hmm. The UCDSU should focus all their funds on education, educational facilities, welfare and counselling. Scrap the rest, UCDEnt should be scrapped, the college has societies for those things sort of things. The Union should prioritize on what's important.

A: Its hard to get bus stops because they're paid for by Adshel which is a company that didn't see marketing potential in UCD stops because no cars drive by. So the union campaigned, as easy as it may have been to campaign it was the only body there that could do it, be glad.
    B: Why keep in place a bus that went from Phoenix Park to UCD, when they replace it with a bus that goes from UCD to PP more regularly, and a bus that goes from UCD to Blanchardstown more regularly. Its a win win, I'm sorry you have to walk to the main road, its 4 minutes, get over it.
    C: On that note I can't count the amount of times the SU has had to campaign keeping brining busses on campus beacuse of students getting drunk and wrecking them.
    D: As of next year the SU will have 0 ents officers, 2 education officers, 1 welfare officer and 1 president. Happy?
    E: You can go to the welfare officer and get free condoms.
    F: Ok you don't like the ball or the bar, I get it. But no society could ever do something like the ball or the bar, having run for auditor of UCD's largest society I know the limits of society power.
    G: UCD Doctor 40e, General Practioner in Clonskea, 65e. UCD Nurse appointment 10e, equivalent medical care outside UCD 65e, UCD contraception consultation 25e, Clonskea contraception consultation 65e, UCD Counsellor free, outside of UCD counselling, pretty ****ing expensive.
    Envy me arse, Trinity's one is far better every year. I don't think the Union should be spending most of it's funds on a piss up instead of educational facilities. You come to college for an education, first and foremost, the fun and games are purely secondary.

Matter of opinion, I know they envy it, in fact I was talking to two trinity students last night who envry ours. Whats your problem with the union spending money on secondary priorities then? Especially when as I already said, it ****ing breaks even.

"Challenges" is an understatement. Remember last year? The Ents officer (how much was he paid?) didn't do a tap all year to get the UCD Ball sorted out, nearly got cancelled.

Challenges, at the last moment An Garda Schiochana pulled the plug on the event, he then started a campaign, to get it back, got it re-arranged, managed to save a huge number of the acts, and put it on? You don't call that a challenge, Get real.

If an NUIG student had a free photocopying service, I'd be envious.

No one had, or ever has had a free photocopying service. Tell you what, opt out of the union as aforementioned and spend your 20 euro on photocopying. It seems all you care about.

So far your posts have indicated very little knowledge of the union or how it operates. Your arguing with someone who has never been an elected member of the union but has been involved enough to know how it operates.

Does it have flaws? Yeah, its closer to coal then diamond. Is it a reason not to come to UCD, no. Do you get your moneys worth from 20 euro? Easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ok, some important misconceptions in your post. Firstly, the copy shop wasn't the campuswide photocopying service that the college provides, it was the shop in the library tunnel where lecturers could leave notes in for people. It was used by a minority of students, and solely arts, and facilitated lecturers that refused to get with the times and use blackboard, the college offered free digital service that fulfilled the same function. I'd imagine more people used the bar in any given month than used it in a year.

Secondly, the Unions brief is:
    Article 2 – Fundamental Objectives
    The objectives of the Union shall be the promotion and furtherance of any matters of interest to
    its membership, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, in particular:
    2.1.1 To act as the recognised means of communication between the members of the
    Union and the University.
    2.1.2 To act as a representative body for its members and other persons registered as
    students of the University.
    2.1.3 To promote the practice of democratisation at all levels of higher education through
    collective and individual participation of the members of the Union.
    2.1.4 To provide and manage social, recreational and commercial services for the benefit of
    its members.
    2.1.5 To promote discussion and research on all matters of interest to the Union, and
    particularly on matters pertaining to the education and welfare of the members and
    other persons registered as students of the University.
    2.1.6 To assist clubs, societies and other student organisations within the University.
    2.1.7 To seek to promote the objectives of the Union through developing and maintaining
    good relations with students and student bodies in other higher education
    institutions, both within Ireland and elsewhere.
    2.1.8 To develop and maintain good relations with the University.
    2.1.9 To secure and defend the fundamental rights of its members set out in Article 4 of
    this Constitution.
    2.1.10 To strive for an effective and united system of national student representation.
    2.1.11 To develop the Irish language among its members, and throughout the University.

The SU is not, and has never been, designed and intended to provide educational facilities - Doing so is actually going against their mandate. However providing social activities like the UCD ball is absolutely part of their purview. If you want the Union to change it's goals, then get a petition going to amend the constitution and change their responsibilities.

Thirdly, I have no figures for this, but it's always been my understanding that the UCD Ball runs at a net profit, and is one of the main ways in which Ents is funded. I may be wrong on that, however.

And finally, an emergency general meeting was called during this year to protest the closing of a UCDSU educational facility. Only 157 people showed up, of which only 56% were in favour of overturning the decision. I can't find a figure, but I understand more than 5000 people attended the UCD Ball.

UCDSU is intended as a representative organisation - what it's supposed to do is what it's members want, not what you might feel is best for them.

A: Ents breaks even and has always broken even.
    B: If its so ents focussed why did it take the ents officer out of the new constitution
    C: UCD is a town of 20,000 people with no entertainment facilities, I'm glad someone is trying to create some sort of fun for students.
    D: Those photocopy facilities were losing 48,000e a year.

Why is UCDSU in so much debt?
    A: Its hard to get bus stops because they're paid for by Adshel which is a company that didn't see marketing potential in UCD stops because no cars drive by. So the union campaigned, as easy as it may have been to campaign it was the only body there that could do it, be glad.
    B: Why keep in place a bus that went from Phoenix Park to UCD, when they replace it with a bus that goes from UCD to PP more regularly, and a bus that goes from UCD to Blanchardstown more regularly. Its a win win, I'm sorry you have to walk to the main road, its 4 minutes, get over it.

39a goes into the campus, you don't have to walk from the main road. 46a is from the main road. The 46a is usually packed to the rafters between 8am and 10am. It's a safety hazard sometimes.
    C: On that note I can't count the amount of times the SU has had to campaign keeping brining busses on campus beacuse of students getting drunk and wrecking them.

On piss-ups that Ents were probably helping to fund.
    D: As of next year the SU will have 0 ents officers, 2 education officers, 1 welfare officer and 1 president. Happy?

Certainly an improvement, long way to go though.
    F: Ok you don't like the ball or the bar, I get it. But no society could ever do something like the ball or the bar, having run for auditor of UCD's largest society I know the limits of society power.

Plenty of bars and clubs in town. Don't need a bar or a ball on campus to have fun.
    No one had, or ever has had a free photocopying service. Tell you what, opt out of the union as aforementioned and spend your 20 euro on photocopying. It seems all you care about.

Why don't I have an opt out option or a choice on registration if I want to pay the union fee or not? Why do I have to make the effort to write to a union rep to count me out?

• Advertisement

There is no overriding factor. It lost lots of money on lots of small things. About 40,000 unrecorded payments were made, you could presume that's all going to ents, but it'd be conspiracy. I'd say a lot of unrecorded taxis and stuff mainly.
    39a goes into the campus, you don't have to walk from the main road. 46a is from the main road. The 46a is usually packed to the rafters between 8am and 10am. It's a safety hazard sometimes.

You're trying to blame UCDSU for safety on the 46a? The 46a is never packed after 9, and tits not that bad before 9 I used to get the 46a to school, our stop was 2 stops before UCD and half the bus would get off. Why would the SU try and help students get away from UCD between 8 and 10 in the morning anyway?

Ents scrapped drinks tokens, they don't fund any piss ups. If anything societies are more likely to fund piss ups.

Plenty of bars and clubs in town. Don't need a bar or a ball on campus to have fun.

I presume you'd want every UCD student to get a taxi home from town if they wanted to have a quiet pint with a few mates? And maybe you'd want them to pay town prices for drinks? **** it sure, there are bars in town, why bother having bars anywhere in the suburbs. There is a tesco in mount merrion, why do we need a centra? The bar makes money.

Why don't I have an opt out option or a choice on registration if I want to pay the union fee or not? Why do I have to make the effort to write to a union rep to count me out?

The students voted on creating a union, they voted on its cost, they voted that it would opt out not opt in, they voted on the levies. You have to do it because your peers decided it. Its democracy man, if you don't like we have an exchange program with North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Until the accounts are published there is no clear answer, but part of it probably will be a combination of mismanagement, lack of knowledge and no accountant.

It's fine and not the only bus. The 39a also goes on this road, as does the 3, the 145 and other buses (though more infrequent).
    Ents can hardly be held responsible for the poor behaviour of a few out of 20,000
    It certainly helps.

I know, that's awful that you'd have to take the trouble to write to the SU rep. I can imagine the stress typing must be. It would take you about 5 mins to send an email. You obviously have no difficulty using a keyboard. :rolleyes:

There is no overriding factor. It lost lots of money on lots of small things. About 40,000 unrecorded payments were made, you could presume that's all going to ents, but it'd be conspiracy. I'd say a lot of unrecorded taxis and stuff mainly.
    Ents scrapped drinks tokens, they don't fund any piss ups. If anything societies are more likely to fund piss ups.

Unrecorded payments, aye...
    I presume you'd want every UCD student to get a taxi home from town if they wanted to have a quiet pint with a few mates? And maybe you'd want them to pay town prices for drinks? **** it sure, there are bars in town, why bother having bars anywhere in the suburbs. There is a tesco in mount merrion, why do we need a centra? The bar makes money.

Not every UCD student lives on campus. You'd have to get a taxi/nitelink home anyway if you were there into the night.
    The students voted on creating a union, they voted on its cost, they voted that it would opt out not opt in, they voted on the levies. You have to do it because your peers decided it. Its democracy man, if you don't like we have an exchange program with North Korea.

I don't see why a union, supposedly independent of the bureaucracy in UCD, should have the right to push their fees (no matter how large or small) on students who didn't ask for them in the first place. "Democracy" is no excuse here. Membership in a Union (any union) should be voluntary, not compulsory on registration (edit: unless one is explicitly required to be a member by UCD). The only people who have the right to vote in union elections (from what I gather) are those who are members of the union in the first place. In hindsight, what you're saying is "You have no choice but to pay the union fee on registration (which makes you a member) because that was the decision of our members". People should have the right to choose if they want to deal if a private organisation or not (like a union). In this case, the right to choose supersedes democracy. I wouldn't be suprised if the Union was helping with those exchange programs to North Korea, unions and socialists tend to think alike.

Maldesu wrote: »
    I know, that's awful that you'd have to take the trouble to write to the SU rep. I can imagine the stress typing must be. It would take you about 5 mins to send an email. You obviously have no difficulty using a keyboard. :rolleyes:

That's not the point, it's the principle behind it. When I pay on registration, some of that money goes to the Union. Membership of the union is voluntary, yet some of the money I pay on registration goes to it. Yes, I can get it back, but I shouldn't have been made pay in the first place if I didn't need to pay.

I don't see why a union, supposedly independent of the bureaucracy in UCD, should have the right to push their fees (no matter how large or small) on students who didn't ask for them in the first place. "Democracy" is no excuse here. Membership in a Union (any union) should be voluntary, not compulsory on registration (edit: unless one is explicitly required to be a member by UCD). The only people who have the right to vote in union elections (from what I gather) are those who are members of the union in the first place. In hindsight, what you're saying is "You have no choice but to pay the union fee on registration (which makes you a member) because that was the decision of our members". People should have the right to choose if they want to deal if a private organisation or not (like a union). In this case, the right to choose supersedes democracy. I wouldn't be suprised if the Union was helping with those exchange programs to North Korea, unions and socialists tend to think alike.

1: You've paid tax you're whole life, sometimes in democracies you have to pay for ****. Its 20e.

2: Membership of unions cannot be compulsory its unconstitutional, not talking SU here, I am talking Irish constitution.

3: Student's Unions are not private they are public. The decision was that all students should be members till they opt out.

4: You have no right to choose to pay tax, it doesn't not supersede democracy. I can't believe you're still arguing this.

5: Ask Karl Gill (Auditor of UCD SWP) what he thinks of you saying the Union is left wing. He'll flip the lid, he hates the union. In fact the students union is infamously right wing on most issues.

• Advertisement

1: You've paid tax you're whole life, sometimes in democracies you have to pay for ****. Its 20e.

Tax is compulsory. The Union fee and membership is not. Therefore, why can't I have a choice on registration? We're back to square one. Saying "it's what your peer decided", in not an adequate answer. If you have a right to choose, then you should have the right to choose. Simples.
    Membership of unions cannot be compulsory its unconstitutional, not talking SU here, I am talking Irish constitution.

Yes. Which is why students should have a choice or opt out option on registration if they don't want to be a member of it.
    Student's Unions are not private they are public.
    Since when were Students' Unions public, do they receive state funding.
    You have no right to choose to pay tax, it doesn't not supersede democracy. I can't believe you're still arguing this.
    Again TAX IS COMPULSORY, THE UNION FEE IS NOT!!
    The decision was that all students should be members till they opt out.
    So someone who doesn't want to be a member has to on registration but can claim it back and opt out later, even though they made up their decision that they didn't want to be a member before registration. The only reason this is done is because the union hopes that students will overlook the union fee and forget that they can claim it back and opt out. In hindsight, it's just a way for the Union not to loose money.
    Ask Karl Gill (Auditor of UCD SWP) what he thinks of you saying the Union is left wing. He'll flip the lid, he hates the union. In fact the students union is infamously right wing on most issues.
    Depends on what he hates about the student union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

That's not the point, it's the principle behind it. When I pay on registration, some of that money goes to the Union. Membership of the union is voluntary, yet some of the money I pay on registration goes to it. Yes, I can get it back, but I shouldn't have been made pay in the first place if I didn't need to pay.

You can argue the principal all you want, but sometimes its not about the one individual person. From a different point of view it could be something like this:

Large amount of Leaving Cert students are entering college who may not understand the importance of having representation until it is too late.
    Arrange for membership to the SU to be included in the fees so that they have the automatic protection of the SU, rather than getting caught later on because they decided that €20 was better spent picking up a few tins of Dutch or the like.

That's only an idea, but sometimes these things are implemented for a reason, not just to get the extra 20 quid. Why don't you find out what (or if) that reason is for, rather than crying how hard done by you are by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭spillit67

Personally, overall I didn't enjoy my time in UCD that much. However, I'd blame myself for that more than UCD.

Unfortunately in retrospect having a good University on your doorstep wasn't such a good thing for me. My travel didn't change much, it was still 10 minutes from my house to my education. Financially speaking it was cheaper than school for my parents so there was never much of an issue over it. Getting there was more important than actually considering my time and what I wanted out of university once I got there.

After the Leaving Cert and the CAO stuff, it was like a holiday in fact from my perspective. I got my results and did the usual things between then and University and drank a **** load during Semester 1. Only it was mainly with friends from school. Several did the exact same course as me so already I had a social set and didn't need to make much of an effort. Yes I know, I was one of those cliquey spanners you see at the start of college. It was a natural thing though and I didn't put much thought into it, sorry about that.

I made new friends alright, don't get me wrong but honestly they wouldn't nearly be as good ones as those I made during my teenage years. Part of that is down to my sheer lack of engagement with the place. I didn't join a society or a sports club, why bother when I was already playing rugby with my friends at another club? I lived at home so didn't have the engagement a lot of freshers have in student residences. Lectures? No point in 1st year sure.

Unfortunately I didn't really recognise this until late in my 2nd year by which time plenty of people find themselves hanging around with people from Uni more than their friends made in school. The comfort trap of being a South County Dublin person in UCD is a very easy one to fall into.

I honestly think it damaged my education as well. The absolute ease of life living at home compared to friends who went away really didn't help me value it as much as I should have. I was never really engaged or motivated during my time in UCD and I really regret it. In hindsight I would have definitely gone away for college and taken myself out of my comfort zone completely. A good life lesson I suppose though and I still got a pretty good degree from a pretty good University.

So my advice: Before you go to UCD actually consider what you want from it and don't just congratulate yourself on getting X points in the LC. Engage in a society (even a political party) and don't be like me and leer at some of them (I did this in 1st year, I'm sorry again) and just collect the bag of crap they give you to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭spillit67

2: Membership of unions cannot be compulsory its unconstitutional, not talking SU here, I am talking Irish constitution.

3: Student's Unions are not private they are public. The decision was that all students should be members till they opt out.

4: You have no right to choose to pay tax, it doesn't not supersede democracy. I can't believe you're still arguing this.

5: Ask Karl Gill (Auditor of UCD SWP) what he thinks of you saying the Union is left wing. He'll flip the lid, he hates the union. In fact the students union is infamously right wing on most issues.

Did anyone see the Phoenix magazine having a go at DeBrúin this week? I thought it was pretty unfair myself.

You can argue the principal all you want, but sometimes its not about the one individual person. From a different point of view it could be something like this:

Large amount of Leaving Cert students are entering college who may not understand the importance of having representation until it is too late.
    Arrange for membership to the SU to be included in the fees so that they have the automatic protection of the SU,

Couldn't give hoot to be honest. If they want the representation they can can opt to pay the fee, simple really. Also, having such an opt out system in place on registration would put pressure on the union to perform when needed or else they'll be loosing out on funding - a good thing in my books. It's teach the union, and the student, the value of responsibility.
    rather than getting caught later on because they decided that €20 was better spent picking up a few tins of Dutch or the like.

:rolleyes: If the student wishes to pay that €20 on Dutch gold, let them, it should be their choice. Waster students don't deserve to be represented.
    That's only an idea, but sometimes these things are implemented for a reason, not just to get the extra 20 quid. Why don't you find out what (or if) that reason is for, rather than crying how hard done by you are by it.

It had its reasons, but they're leading to more problems. The union is becoming a cozy place for careerists. There isn't enough pressure put on the unions to perform. This is the case with Unions up and down the country, not just in students' unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Not aiming this at anyone in particular so there's no point in quoting anyone.
    I emailed UCDSU earlier in the year complaining about their Fight the Fee's stance. I argued that as I was in favour of a loan system, my union were not representing me properly and I asked could I opt out. Both Lacey and De Brún replied, and surprisingly both were very nice and well informed emails, quite lengthy too.
    De Brún said this in relation to my request to opt out:
    'It is not at my discretion to allow you to opt out of the SU. The Universities Act states that all students must be members of their Students' Unions.'

So Pedant, stop blaming the SU and their socialist, anti-democratic ways when it's actually the Irish Governments fault ;) Ask them for your twenty euro... :)

kkumk wrote: »
    I argued that as I was in favour of a loan system, my union were not representing me properly and I asked could I opt out. Both Lacey and De Brún replied, and surprisingly both were very nice and well informed emails, quite lengthy too.

De Brun and Lacey are both in favour of a loan system / graduate tax too. I dunno if they told you in the emails but USI is taking an online poll of all students (who are arsed voting) starting next week and running till the 20th.

http://www.usivote.com/

There is the information, I will actually start a thread about it. You can vote for a student loan in that if you wish, I will be voting for it with you.

kkumk wrote: »
    Not aiming this at anyone in particular so there's no point in quoting anyone.
    I emailed UCDSU earlier in the year complaining about their Fight the Fee's stance. I argued that as I was in favour of a loan system, my union were not representing me properly and I asked could I opt out. Both Lacey and De Brún replied, and surprisingly both were very nice and well informed emails, quite lengthy too.
    De Brún said this in relation to my request to opt out:
    'It is not at my discretion to allow you to opt out of the SU. The Universities Act states that all students must be members of their Students' Unions.'

So Pedant, stop blaming the SU and their socialist, anti-democratic ways when it's actually the Irish Governments fault ;) Ask them for your twenty euro... :)

And here's me thinking it was unconstitutional for membership of any union to be compulsory. Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't know fully how the SU operates.

Right so, I'll go throw eggs at the Oireachtas. I'd love to know where exactly it says that in the Universities Act though, I'm too lazy to look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Simple things like having a bus shelter at the 39a stop
    This might have been relevent back in the 19-somthings before adshel tookover the bus shelters, now its unthinkable for there not to be one, this is nothing to do with the current SU, everything to do with advertising.

The 39a et al stop are being moved within the next few weeks, do you think:

a) the SU have any idea where they are moving to

b) the SU have lobbied on the new location

c) the SU's opinion its location actually considered

d) the existance of a shelter and the SU's opinion on it's existance was considered

srsly.

The SU should stick to sticking up for individual students who are in difficulty. This is something they are good at and makes a difference.

This BS of ents needs to die, waste of f*ucking money so that the ents officer can have a backup for when he fails his exams (while skimming undeclared money from clubs on the side). Students know how to have craic, without the SU.

Focus on welfare & education. Focus on the f*ucking vunerable. Focus on the f*ucking library. If the SU had morals, it might even oppose the china w*ankfest that UCD is up to. But it wont.

Straw poll, how many people have seen the dominos delivery guy struggling to carry a f*uckload of pizza into the SU? Kylemore too good for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

De Brun and Lacey are both in favour of a loan system / graduate tax too. I dunno if they told you in the emails but USI is taking an online poll of all students (who are arsed voting) starting next week and running till the 20th.

Yea I've been following the campaign etc! When I emailed them I wasn't aware they supported a loan system/graduate tax because at that stage the Fight the Fee's stuff was the only thing ever promoted by the SU. This was before they tried to get that referendum going though and obviously I'm happy enough with their efforts now :) Nice to see they're actually listening to the students instead of just pushing ahead with the 'we don't want to pay for anything, ever.' policies!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

stop wrote: »
    Straw poll, how many people have seen the dominos delivery guy struggling to carry a f*uckload of pizza into the SU? Kylemore too good for them?

I've seen essentially the same comment a few times at this stage, on more than just boards....

Firstly, anyone buying pizza is paying for it themselves.

Secondly, more than just the SU operates out of the student centre (The forum office is there, socs have meetings in meetings rooms, the observer is in the student centre (and we sure as fúck aren't getting free pizza)).

Also, Kylemore isn't open when people would typically get pizza :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ABout 3 times a year on average, Gamesoc orders a mountain of pizza to either the Astra Hall or the Blue Room to hand out at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fad wrote: »
    I've seen essentially the same comment a few times at this stage, on more than just boards....

Firstly, anyone buying pizza is paying for it themselves.

Secondly, more than just the SU operates out of the student centre (The forum office is there, socs have meetings in meetings rooms, the observer is in the student centre (and we sure as fúck aren't getting free pizza)).

Also, Kylemore isn't open when people would typically get pizza :/

To be honest considering the amount of money unaccounted for in the su we cant say that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

steddyeddy wrote: »
    To be honest considering the amount of money unaccounted for in the su we cant say that for sure.

There was a lot of money accounted for, and obviously some of it still is 'missing', but I really sincerely doubt anyone's been ****ing around trying to charge pizza to the SU this year, given the scrutiny they're under at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I wasn't overly keen on UCD after spending 4 years studying there. I think a lot of it is down to the school that you're a part of. One of my main schools was the Economics school, who were terribly un-helpful and never seemed interested in their students. On the other hand, the Geography school was extremely helpful and a pleasure to work with.

Food options on campus are terrible for a campus of its size. The food served in the main restaurant would be on par with hospital food. If Trinity can afford to serve tasty, well made meals at a good price, UCD definitely can.

Entertainment on campus was always fairly poor and catered towards dance music. This may have changed, but the city centre is only a short bus trip away.

A lot more could be said, but I don't want to be seen as overly slating UCD. My experience could be summed up by me saying that I'd never advise anyone to go to the college, but I wouldn't try to dissuade them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I'm on my Erasmus year in Barcelona now, and have to say, compared to Universitat de Barcelona, I like UCD a whole lot more now!

Agree with the above post too, the Geog department are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

I didn't like the place at all. Was there for 3 years and 1 year erasmus. Restaurants are awful, the events are terrible and too many rugby jocks in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

To be honest I'd say UCD is the same as any other Irish university.... Shit enough but you have to make the best of the place. I've been to a fair of the Irish universities and they're all the same; everything costs money and the places are dead on the weekends.

OP, you'll make friends easy enough; tutorials, societies etc...

It's an alright place to study but you'll probably get more work done in your house. Library is warm, crowded during exams and a bit too noisey (Trinity has UCD beaten there, the Ussher basement is like a morgue; cold and quiet).

I'd recommend it but I wouldn't do an arts course, I did the BA and that was probably the worst part of UCD (absolutely shite course regardless of the school or subject you do).

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

El Siglo wrote: »
    I'd recommend it but I wouldn't do an arts course, I did the BA and that was probably the worst part of UCD (absolutely shite course regardless of the school or subject you do).

I would have to disagree with you there. You are mainly coming from a Geography background? I couldn't really comment on that specifically as I've only done one Geography elective (thought it was a tad too lightweight.. although it was a 1st year module... but pretty good nonetheless and had a good atmosphere). But, I mean, have you done any course in UCD other than the BA for the sake of comparison?

It is probably too easy to pass an Arts course (in general), but it is (also generally speaking) difficult enough to get top marks. The only real downfall that I can see is that the modules are big (in terms of people - thus undermining the 'community spirit') and some modules (depending on subject) lack academic rigor.

St. Robbie wrote: »
    Restaurants are awful, the events are terrible and too many rugby jocks in the place

Correction: the Restraunt is terrible. :D
    Other than that with the 20 coffee shops, two pubs, centra, su shops and (in the future) elements restraunt, you have plenty of choice.

As for Ross O'Carroll Kellys, I have yet to really find them. Plenty in secondary school. :rolleyes: I suppose when you have 22,000 people to choose from... ;)

Oh and the SU events are actually terrible. That's why people don't bother going to them, but instead make their own, or go the individual club/soc events!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 cinderelli

I have tried so hard to like it, but in all honesty I loathe having to go to UCD. I feel the university system is not sympathetic enough with poorer students - I have to work constantly during the semester to support myself and I feel totally left out of the whole 'college experience' it promises. As a sociable, easy-going, chatty person, I can't stand the long days spent on my own travelling from class to class. I would imagine, though, if your parents were supporting your rent, food and social life, leaving you with plenty of free time (to get involved with societies, etc.), then it would be a lot more fun. I am lost in UCD.

Advertisement